+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Tropicana field to be first cashless sports venue

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    Good point. I wonder what the backup plan is @ the Trop?
    When have have 100 fans in attendance, IOUs would probably work.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    When have have 100 fans in attendance, IOUs would probably work.
    If they offered free concessions, they might get 200 fans.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'd like to believe that I was at a crossroad that day and I chose good. I have never wavered from that path. So no, I've never spent any time in jail.
    Did the other kids end up as career criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    This would make a good Netflix Series... "The Crossroads"

NYYF Legend

I'm sure most of them took that path.

The names will be changed in the novel. Mostly because I can't remember any of their names.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Cy Young

No. Never.

True Story. (It's going in my novel when I write it)

When I was in 2nd grade, all the boys in my class formulated this plan that we would break into this old abandoned hotel/rooming house in our small 6 by 6 block Shore Town (down the Jersey Shore). We just wanted to see what it was like in there.
    We scoped the place out numerous times and decided we could pry open a basement window and climb down and check the place out.

Well the day was planned and after school on this one autumn day we were to get together 30 minutes after school ended and head over to the subject of our curiosity.

On my walk home from school, I had this nagging urge to not get involved in this criminal action. However, the ridicule I would have to endure for bailing out of this class project would likely haunt me for the rest of my days.

Once I got home from that 2 block walk from school, I decided that I was going to refrain from participating in the group break in. A friend was supposed to stop at my house to pick me up. When he got there he informed me that he was having second thoughts. He was quite relieved when I said I was not going. At least we had something in common when the ridicule was spewed.

The next day's two block walk to school was long and harrowing. I knew the badgering would be cruel. It was not going to be a good day.

Once arriving at the playground, my classmates were all huddled under the fire escape talking to each other. There was no use in delaying the inevitable. I headed towards the horde to accept my punishment. Well, the beginning of my punishment. It would never end.

Much to my delight, however, once I got close to this criminal organization, they shouted to me that I was so lucky I couldn't make it to the break in, because they were all caught by the local police and arrested. Placed in the Town's jail and sat awaiting their release to their parent's custody.

Now, nothing else (by the Law) was done to these hooligans, but I can't speak to how they were treated by their moms and dads.

I'd like to believe that I was at a crossroad that day and I chose good. I have never wavered from that path. So no, I've never spent any time in jail.

I hope this clears this misconception up.
    Great story
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gullo317 View Post
    And MLB has a problem with young viewers... This change basically makes it so a group of teens can't attend a game, good job TB!
    I go back and forth on this. Teens will be more likely than adults to have mobile pay options (even if it's not their money) but then again, my daughter routinely has the most cash in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Somewhat related: I am going to a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game next month, and mobile tickets were the only option. I couldn't order hard stock tickets as I wanted; mobile only. Some teams have the option to bring your credit card for entry if you don't have a smart phone - I did that in Denver and in D.C.. But only mobile in Tampa.
    https://deadspin.com/..................ets-1831338653

The transition to digital tickets has been happening gradually, but 2018 was the first year I really noticed it. All tickets are going digital now. A study by Juniper Research estimates that one out of every two tickets will be digital by next year. The NFL moved to a fully digital ticket system this season (and in their announcement managed to say some thoroughly creepy things about knowing exactly who is in every seat at every game). We have essentially eradicated the only souvenir that was practical, individual to the game you attended, and free. We’ve replaced a tangible ticket with an alternative so persnickety that half the time they don’t even work on the first or second or third time.

There are only a few things you can buy at any professional sporting event for less than $5. There are buttons and keychains. Most stadiums have a $5 koozie. But none of these have the date of the game you attended on them, which defeats the entire point of a souvenir: to remind you of a specific experience. You can buy a scorecard to keep a boxscore, but even those are vague enough to work for any game, and you have to do the work yourself.

Our phones, meanwhile, evolve and become outdated. Imagine being a Cubs fan in Cleveland who watched the team win in game seven of the World Series and having only a digital ticket to prove you were there, one that will disappear from history the minute you upgrade your iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I go back and forth on this. Teens will be more likely than adults to have mobile pay options (even if it's not their money) but then again, my daughter routinely has the most cash in the house.

https://deadspin.com/..................ets-1831338653
    I'm sure MLB will soon gladly sell fans an optional physical replica of your digital ticket for $29.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gullo317 View Post
    And MLB has a problem with young viewers... This change basically makes it so a group of teens can't attend a game, good job TB!
    I take it you're unfamiliar with today's teens.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

No. Never.

True Story. (It's going in my novel when I write it)

When I was in 2nd grade, all the boys in my class formulated this plan that we would break into this old abandoned hotel/rooming house in our small 6 by 6 block Shore Town (down the Jersey Shore). We just wanted to see what it was like in there.
    We scoped the place out numerous times and decided we could pry open a basement window and climb down and check the place out.

Well the day was planned and after school on this one autumn day we were to get together 30 minutes after school ended and head over to the subject of our curiosity.

On my walk home from school, I had this nagging urge to not get involved in this criminal action. However, the ridicule I would have to endure for bailing out of this class project would likely haunt me for the rest of my days.

Once I got home from that 2 block walk from school, I decided that I was going to refrain from participating in the group break in. A friend was supposed to stop at my house to pick me up. When he got there he informed me that he was having second thoughts. He was quite relieved when I said I was not going. At least we had something in common when the ridicule was spewed.

The next day's two block walk to school was long and harrowing. I knew the badgering would be cruel. It was not going to be a good day.

Once arriving at the playground, my classmates were all huddled under the fire escape talking to each other. There was no use in delaying the inevitable. I headed towards the horde to accept my punishment. Well, the beginning of my punishment. It would never end.

Much to my delight, however, once I got close to this criminal organization, they shouted to me that I was so lucky I couldn't make it to the break in, because they were all caught by the local police and arrested. Placed in the Town's jail and sat awaiting their release to their parent's custody.

Now, nothing else (by the Law) was done to these hooligans, but I can't speak to how they were treated by their moms and dads.

I hope this clears this misconception up.
    If it's true, why are you putting it in a novel?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If it's true, why are you putting it in a novel?
    I'll be embellishing and adding it as part of the story of the fictional characters. I'd have to think that a lot of fiction has some bearing on true events, no?

NYYF Legend

I'll be embellishing and adding it as part of the story of the fictional characters. I'd have to think that a lot of fiction has some bearing on true events, no?
    You are right, Pseudo-Dr. John is wrong. Many novels incorporate real-life experiences. I don't think everything in "All Quiet on the Western Front" came fully formed out of Remarque's imagination.

Although to be precise, true events have bearing on the fiction, not the other way around.

I guess what I am saying is I'm deeply disappointed in both of you.

NYYF Legend

You are right, Pseudo-Dr. John is wrong. Many novels incorporate real-life experiences. I don't think everything in "All Quiet on the Western Front" came fully formed out of Remarque's imagination.

Although to be precise, true events have bearing on the fiction, not the other way around.

I guess what I am saying is I'm deeply disappointed in both of you.
    I'm also disappointed in me.

NYYF Legend

I'm also disappointed in me.
    I understand. I was appointed once. When it ended, I was disappointed.

NYYF Legend

I understand. I was appointed once. When it ended, I was disappointed.
    Were you also gruntled once, and you're now disgruntled?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Dis foolish things, they remind me of you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubeFmHEVzQ0

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    No but I was overwhelmed, then I was underwhelmed, now I'm just whelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    But, I still ask for hard tickets when I can get them. It's just that I still place a little value on having a tangible memento from a special event - and the ticket stubs are unique because it was my seat for that day and nobody has one exactly like it. But, I can adapt with the times and understand my kids may not place the same value on such a thing.

Well, younger "customers" don't buy music they way elder's did. It's Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, and downloaded to an electronic device... I still have and love playing my vinyl records. No reason why a similar thing won't happen to sporting events.

Times change. I am not against it, per se. I am more against the loss of privacy and anonymity that comes with electronic ticketing, not to mention the (loss) of ability to do what I want with my tickets.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    Well, younger "customers" don't buy music they way elder's did. It's Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, and downloaded to an electronic device... I still have and love playing my vinyl records. No reason why a similar thing won't happen to sporting events.

Times change. I am not against it, per se. I am more against the loss of privacy and anonymity that comes with electronic ticketing, not to mention the (loss) of ability to do what I want with my tickets.
    Not to mention the pictures on season tickets are nice to have as souvenirs of the game.

NYYF Legend

Serious question: what if I roll out of bed on game day and step on my cellphone? I can't go to the game?

(Went to the Islanders game yesterday, I am told they only do e tickets now.)

NYYF Legend

Serious question: what if I roll out of bed on game day and step on my cellphone? I can't go to the game?

(Went to the Islanders game yesterday, I am told they only do e tickets now.)
    Not totally true. Season ticket holders were allowed to request a complete set of hard tickets.

Thread Information