+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Devoted Member

Tropicana field to be first cashless sports venue

NYYF Legend

Re: Tropicana field to be first cashless sports venue

We're probably a generation away from be coming a cashless society, as technology becomes more sophisticated & where the consumer and the merchant are more protected to do business.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Addicted Member

I thought this was a commentary on their payroll

NYYF Legend

Hasn't Tropicana Field been pretty much a fanless venue for years?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    I thought this was a commentary on their payroll

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    We're probably a generation away from be coming a cashless society, as technology becomes more sophisticated & where the consumer and the merchant are more protected to do business.
    I was at a late night fast food drive-up window and they told me no cash, card only. I told them but I have the exact change. Nope, no dice. What a world.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I was at a late night fast food drive-up window and they told me no cash, card only. I told them but I have the exact change. Nope, no dice. What a world.
    Serves you right for eating that junk late at night.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Maybe they had some late night robberies there.

And MLB has a problem with young viewers... This change basically makes it so a group of teens can't attend a game, good job TB!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by gullo317 View Post
    And MLB has a problem with young viewers... This change basically makes it so a group of teens can't attend a game, good job TB!
    I was thinking the same thing. My son would go to games with his friends at age 14.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gullo317 View Post
    I take it you're unfamiliar with today's teens.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I would have said “no sale” and driven off.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

i live right across the street from the trop and i am not happy about this.

my pickpocketing income is going to take a huge hit.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    i live right across the street from the trop and i am not happy about this.

my pickpocketing income is going to take a huge hit.
    Perhaps you should start mugging outside of the area to offset the income loss ?

Many baseball teams (and other events) are pushing mobile ticketing too. Soon no more hard stock tickets. Everything you need to attend a game will be on your smart phone. Most young kids go to games with their parents. No ticket stubs as mementos. It's the "Old School" Oldtimers that may have a problem with having no choice to use cash or "real" tickets.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trentonstew View Post
    Many baseball teams (and other events) are pushing mobile ticketing too. Soon no more hard stock tickets. Everything you need to attend a game will be on your smart phone. Most young kids go to games with their parents. No ticket stubs as mementos. It's the "Old School" Oldtimers that may have a problem with having no choice to use cash or "real" tickets.
    Somewhat related: I am going to a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game next month, and mobile tickets were the only option. I couldn't order hard stock tickets as I wanted; mobile only. Some teams have the option to bring your credit card for entry if you don't have a smart phone - I did that in Denver and in D.C.. But only mobile in Tampa.
    "Any day is a good day when you can play baseball."

NYYF Legend

I bought tickets from the Mets for the Yankees games and they would only send them to my phone.

NYYF Legend

Funny you bring this up. I still have the original ticket stub, program and some photos I took with an old Kodak Instamatic camera from the first game I attended 35 years ago. I was 14 years old.

Anyway, I took my son to his first game this past summer in Anaheim. No hard tickets. So, I took a screen shot of my phone, and there is a folder on our PC in the photos folder that includes all the pictures we took, and the screenshot of the tickets. It's not the same.

The same goes for the 2017 World Series Game 7 we attended in LA.

But, I still ask for hard tickets when I can get them. It's just that I still place a little value on having a tangible memento from a special event - and the ticket stubs are unique because it was my seat for that day and nobody has one exactly like it. But, I can adapt with the times and understand my kids may not place the same value on such a thing.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    But, I still ask for hard tickets when I can get them. It's just that I still place a little value on having a tangible memento from a special event - and the ticket stubs are unique because it was my seat for that day and nobody has one exactly like it. But, I can adapt with the times and understand my kids may not place the same value on such a thing.

Well, younger "customers" don't buy music they way elder's did. It's Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, and downloaded to an electronic device... I still have and love playing my vinyl records. No reason why a similar thing won't happen to sporting events.

Times change. I am not against it, per se. I am more against the loss of privacy and anonymity that comes with electronic ticketing, not to mention the (loss) of ability to do what I want with my tickets.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    Well, younger "customers" don't buy music they way elder's did. It's Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, and downloaded to an electronic device... I still have and love playing my vinyl records. No reason why a similar thing won't happen to sporting events.

Times change. I am not against it, per se. I am more against the loss of privacy and anonymity that comes with electronic ticketing, not to mention the (loss) of ability to do what I want with my tickets.
    Not to mention the pictures on season tickets are nice to have as souvenirs of the game.

They could not do this in Mass or NJ... laws in those states says you must accept cash too

NYYF Triple Crown

They could not do this in Mass or NJ... laws in those states says you must accept cash too
    And technology has flaws. Last week at RiteAid the cashier announced their credit card system was down. Cash only.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    And technology has flaws. Last week at RiteAid the cashier announced their credit card system was down. Cash only.
    Good point. I wonder what the backup plan is @ the Trop?

NYYF Legend

Everything's FREE FREE FREE!!!!
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

When have have 100 fans in attendance, IOUs would probably work.

Thread Information