+ Reply to Thread

2019 Rule V Eligibility and Draft

It's early to start this thread, but NY is going to have a lot of talented players, mostly pitchers, to protect next winter.

https://pinstripedprospects.com/list...gible-players/

Estevan Florial
    Luis Medina
    Freicer Perez
    Michael King
    Deivi Garcia
    Luis Gil
    Jio Orozco

King is the only one of these guys anywhere near the bigs, so some tough decisions to make.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Re: 2019 Rule V Eligibility and Draft

Jon -

Correct me if I am wrong - we would be looking at college players from the 2016 draft class and high school players from the 2015 draft class. Also, whomever was eligible this past draft and are not put on the 40-man this season.

What about the IFAs - what class would we be looking at there, considering most of them were signed at 16?

Jon LTYF
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Iím not sure of the specifics, I was just riffing off the list I linked from Pinstriped Prospects.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Iím not sure of the specifics, I was just riffing off the list I linked from Pinstriped Prospects.
    It looks like the IFA and HS signees from 2015 and the college signees from 2016 based on the signing dates.

NYYF Legend

Luis Medina would be an interesting case. He has ace stuff but still hasn't figured it out in short season low-A. Best case scenario is that he would end up in Tampa but more likely he would be in Charleston at the end of the season.

Yeah, there are going to be some tough decisions on some of those pitchers who are years away. Is a team really going to take a P who is 2-3 years away and keep them on their big league roster all season a la Luis Torrens? Seems possible but unlikely, but you never know.

Also Reiver Sanmartin fit this category also, an IFA signing (by TEX) in 2015, so he would have been on this list too. He isnít as promising as the guys I listed above, but I wouldnít be surprised to see a few of them moved before November.

They protected Loaisiga when he only had A-ball experience and that worked nicely in hindsight, but you never know I guess.

I think Florial and King are obvious locks, but the rest will depend on how they do this year...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Also Reiver Sanmartin fit this category also, an IFA signing (by TEX) in 2015, so he would have been on this list too. He isnít as promising as the guys I listed above, but I wouldnít be surprised to see a few of them moved before November.
    Cashman has shown a strong ability to make these types of moves in the last few years. I wonder if he keeps a data base of what players other organizations have asked about in talks for this purpose - it would seem to make sense.

Thread Information