Results 1,176 to 1,190 of 1190

Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

didn't need a chart to know this. it's obvious the yankees can't draft
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    didn't need a chart to know this. it's obvious the yankees can't draft
    Oh but we get chastised by certain posters for merely suggesting that the front office is not infallible.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Oh but we get chastised by certain posters for merely suggesting that the front office is not infallible.

They can't draft and they can't evaluate starting pitchers to save their lives. Both of these have been organization blind spots going on 15 years now. I am surprised it hasn't cost Cashman his job.

NYYF Legend

They have a similar strong suit in drafting that they do in free agency, in that they can do the late round/scrapheap type finds with regards to arms (instead of bats in FA).

The problem is the more important part - getting the more valuable picks correct - was basically broken between Hughes/Joba and Judge.

I would think a major part of the calculus for a scouting director for a team that never has a losing season would be to have a strong ability to make the lower 1st rounders more valuable. A regular guy wouldn't do, you'd want someone with a knack for getting top value/production out of late 1st rounders. It hurts to swing and miss on them.

There's been a lot of unlucky circumstance, injury, and just flat out being wrong with regards to the first picks in the Yankees draft over the past 20 years, but whatever it is, the team would be in a much better position if those picks hit more often than roughly 1 in 5 becoming top 100 prospects.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Something tells me Volpe isnt going to change this...

Obvious reason of not retaining the WAR players, as they always used to trade their guys for established players, up until 3 years ago. But the fact they are at the bottom of this list should be embarrassing for the franchise.

Interesting to see the Rays middle of the pack. I thought they would be higher than that.
    Volpe seems to be more of the same. They keep taking high character toolsy-less highschool types with 1st round picks. Volpe, Holder, Culver, Siegler, ect...

When you look at their first rounders over the past decade:

Andrew Brackman
    Gerrit Cole* (Not signed/no faith he develops as Yankee)
    Jeremy Bleich
    Slade Heathcott
    Cito Culver
    Dante Bichette, Jr.
    Ty Hensley
    Eric Jagielo
    Aaron Judge
    Ian Clarkin
    James Kaprielian
    Kyle Holder
    Blake Rutherford
    Clark Schmidt
    Anthony Seigler
    Anthony Volpe

...You need to hit on more than 1 guy in 16 picks. That's just unacceptable. When you look at draft rounds to actual WAR value, it exponential lowers as you move into the latter rounds. So it's not at all surprising that we are bottom barrel looking at our 1st rounders over the past decade+.

This also isn't to say there aren't likely development issues once they actually get into the system. I'm sure that's part of it as well.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Interesting to see the Rays middle of the pack. I thought they would be higher than that.
    Not even existing until 1998 has something to do with it.

Schmidt: 6.2 IP 2 H 0 ER 0 BB 9 K

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Volpe seems to be more of the same. They keep taking high character toolsy-less highschool types with 1st round picks. Volpe, Holder, Culver, Siegler, ect...

When you look at their first rounders over the past decade:

Andrew Brackman
    Gerrit Cole* (Not signed/no faith he develops as Yankee)
    Jeremy Bleich
    Slade Heathcott
    Cito Culver
    Dante Bichette, Jr.
    Ty Hensley
    Eric Jagielo
    Aaron Judge
    Ian Clarkin
    James Kaprielian
    Kyle Holder
    Blake Rutherford
    Clark Schmidt
    Anthony Seigler
    Anthony Volpe

...You need to hit on more than 1 guy in 16 picks. That's just unacceptable. When you look at draft rounds to actual WAR value, it exponential lowers as you move into the latter rounds. So it's not at all surprising that we are bottom barrel looking at our 1st rounders over the past decade+.

This also isn't to say there aren't likely development issues once they actually get into the system. I'm sure that's part of it as well.
    [Morgan Freeman he's right you know gif]
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by roysuniverse View Post
    Schmidt: 6.2 IP 2 H 0 ER 0 BB 9 K
    Gave up a double to leadoff the game, then retired the next 17 guys in a row before giving up a single with 2 outs in the 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Not even existing until 1998 has something to do with it.
    True, but then again, Arizona is ranked 4th
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Gave up a double to leadoff the game, then retired the next 17 guys in a row before giving up a single with 2 outs in the 6th.
    If Schmidt can stay healthy, I like the chances of him developing into a starter. For some reason I think of Phil Hughes with Schmidt.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

If Schmidt can stay healthy, I like the chances of him developing into a starter. For some reason I think of Phil Hughes with Schmidt.

Schmidt is a starter with command of 4 pitches.

Hughes wound up in the bullpen because he couldn't make it through a lineup more than once with consistency and only had 1.5 pitches with the Yanks.

NYYF Legend

Maciejewski: 8 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 9:1 ratio, 85 pitches, 55 strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CTyanks View Post
    They can't draft and they can't evaluate starting pitchers to save their lives. Both of these have been organization blind spots going on 15 years now. I am surprised it hasn't cost Cashman his job.

That's because the Yankees always try to get cute instead of going chalk with the pick. They almost always draft someone who was not seen as potentially going that high or they take a injury risk and they don't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFortune3 View Post
    That's because the Yankees always try to get cute instead of going chalk with the pick. They almost always draft someone who was not seen as potentially going that high or they take a injury risk and they don't pan out.
    Basic logic says that you would expect the team that has picked at the bottom of the draft every year to have produced the least WAR from the draft. They are working with half the pool money that the team at the top of the draft has.

Thread Information