+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 31 32 33 34

Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Maybe bad news for the Yankees, but its the right move for baseball. I never understood why teams can just sign whoever they want outside the US if they had the moneys when most of the players are from those countries. The draft is the right idea. I wonder the order though. Would it be based like the MLB draft? Will there be comp picks? Will the draft order be based on how much international money you have? ect.

EDIT after reading full article: "One of the bigger twists in MLB's latest draft concept is the draft order. Instead of replicating the order of the June draft, which would reward the team with the worst record the previous season with two No. 1 overall draft picks, the teams picking at the top of the draft would rotate annually by division. So one year, for example, the teams in the National League East would get the top five overall picks. The next year another division would get the top five picks, and it would rotate every six years."

Wow, that is not a good idea... Not at all. A rotation of divisions?

Well it doesn't matter who picks where if the picks can be traded without limitation. It just matters who your trading partner would be, and their willingness to do intra-division or intra-league deals.

I HATE the concept of an international draft, and the entire notion of a draft in general as it takes away the Yankees' best competitive advantage-the home market and legions of Yankee fans everywhere willing to shell out cash to watch their team. I'm a 'victor/spoils' guy and could do witout all this competitive balance garbage. But the notion of trading draft picks interests me and I see absolutely no reason on this Earth why that shouldn't extend to the domestic draft as well. Maybe it takes these front offices.....oh, five seconds to figure out the relative values of draft slots and as a result you have a few, um, 'steals' in the first year of implementation. But things would normalize pretty quickly.

How much fun would it be if some of these wildcard contenders could have as an option to trying to squeak in to the playoffs to unload some of their better players for multiple first round draft picks/bonus slots? For example (spitballing), the Yankees make an offer to the Indians of Florial, Abreu plus their next two first round picks in the domestic & international drafts for Bauer, Hand and Bieber? I think it would be awesome and would absolutely embrace the incipient chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Maybe bad news for the Yankees, but its the right move for baseball. I never understood why teams can just sign whoever they want outside the US if they had the moneys when most of the players are from those countries. The draft is the right idea. I wonder the order though. Would it be based like the MLB draft? Will there be comp picks? Will the draft order be based on how much international money you have? ect.

EDIT after reading full article: "One of the bigger twists in MLB's latest draft concept is the draft order. Instead of replicating the order of the June draft, which would reward the team with the worst record the previous season with two No. 1 overall draft picks, the teams picking at the top of the draft would rotate annually by division. So one year, for example, the teams in the National League East would get the top five overall picks. The next year another division would get the top five picks, and it would rotate every six years."

Wow, that is not a good idea... Not at all. A rotation of divisions?
    Why anyone would agree to that, I dont know.

If they are going to be silly about it. Just have a random draw of the 30 teams to decide and then allow teams to trade those draft selections, if they please

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post

If they are going to be silly about it. Just have a random draw of the 30 teams to decide and then allow teams to trade those draft selections, if they please
    They might as well just do it in reverse alphabetical order of the team names every year... :-)
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by CTyanks View Post
    Well it doesn't matter who picks where if the picks can be traded without limitation. It just matters who your trading partner would be, and their willingness to do intra-division or intra-league deals.

I HATE the concept of an international draft, and the entire notion of a draft in general as it takes away the Yankees' best competitive advantage-the home market and legions of Yankee fans everywhere willing to shell out cash to watch their team. I'm a 'victor/spoils' guy and could do witout all this competitive balance garbage. But the notion of trading draft picks interests me and I see absolutely no reason on this Earth why that shouldn't extend to the domestic draft as well. Maybe it takes these front offices.....oh, five seconds to figure out the relative values of draft slots and as a result you have a few, um, 'steals' in the first year of implementation. But things would normalize pretty quickly.

How much fun would it be if some of these wildcard contenders could have as an option to trying to squeak in to the playoffs to unload some of their better players for multiple first round draft picks/bonus slots? For example (spitballing), the Yankees make an offer to the Indians of Florial, Abreu plus their next two first round picks in the domestic & international drafts for Bauer, Hand and Bieber? I think it would be awesome and would absolutely embrace the incipient chaos.
    I too, would like that. The more chaotic they can make the draft, the bigger the intrigue and the more popular it would be. I also think they should make it to where if you declare for the draft and forfeit your college privileges so there are none of these kids getting drafted and not signing.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Schmidt in Tampa: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 6:2 ratio, 54 pitches, 40 strikes.

Salinas: 2-4, 2B

Escotto: 1-4, HR, BB
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Medina with back to back quality outings now:

6 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 7 K

Him and Abreu both clicking in their starts before the trade deadline is a really nice turn of events.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

Him and Abreu both clicking in their starts before the trade deadline is a really nice turn of events.
    To me, it's all about limiting the walks. This is 2 straight games where he has walked 1 or less.

Question? Has he ever had a start before tonight where he pitched a few innings and did not walk anyone? I would bet no. Maybe a 1 inning appearance somewhere, but not a real start.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

I'm torn on Abreu. Part of me really, really, really wants to see what Abreu, Acevedo and JPF can do out of the ML bullpen. I think we have to be thinking about this stuff with the Chapman opt-out coming up and who knows with Dellin. Hale's having a good season, but Cessa is a deathtrap and I don't know how much longer Cortes' Devil Magic can last.

Medina got singled to death in the fourth inning last night and was about to fall apart when the starting catcher left with an injury. Who relieved him? Siegler. Strikeout, groundout, inning done followed by two quiet frames. I also note that the starting catcher suffered two passed balls before leaving.

I think there's really something to the Siegler/Medina pairing and it reinforces the the point I made a week or so back that while he's not hitting a lick the kid does have a beneficial effect on the pitching staff which is exactly in line with the scouting reports I'd read when we drafted him. Catchers typically develop hitting skills later, anyway....I think.

NYYF HOF

Keeping an eye on young Maikol Escotto. His BABIP is a bit high at around .435 but the rest of his numbers are looking quite good. The 109 AB sample is small but for the moment I think he bears interest.
    “To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    'The Wheel' actually got a fair amount of consideration in the NBA's attempt at reforming their draft (to deter tanking):

"each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once — and exactly once — every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle"

In a continuation of yesterday's suspended SI Yanks game:

Duran finished 3/6 2R, 1RBI, 1K. 2 doubles.
    Sanford finished 4/6 1R, 2RBI, 1K.
    Gardner, McGarrity, Blanton, Curtis pitched, zero runs total.
    Hutchinson got whacked around for all 5 Vermont runs. ERA up to 29!

Thread Information