+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 74 FirstFirst ... 19 59 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1841
  1. #1701

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    This is just flat out wrong. Absolutely nothing he has done has shown real offensive potential, especially when you actually look at offense from SS in the majors. He's not close to that type. He had a .667 OPS in the minors, and finally was above average offensively this season because he was much older than the competition.

    It was a trash 1st round pick at the time, and now has proved itself to be what many here thought it was, trash.

    Keep you're drawers on, CP. The league average age in AA ball this year was slightly over 23 years old. Holder was older but not "much older." His story isn't the prototypical baseball prospect story. He was a gifted BASKETBALL player in college, and had only turned his attention to playing baseball regularly a year or so before the Yankees drafted him. When drafted, he was a talented athlete who was a totally unfinished baseball product, BUT he was absolutely a kid that shouted "POTENTIAL!" Look up the word when you get a chance; you might learn something. In the meantime, despite suffering a serious back injury and other assorted ailments along the way, this kid put up his best #'s in Trenton this past year against competition that was only slightly younger than he was. His #'s last year reflect the fact he's improving as a hitter. He's learning his craft. Defensively, he's already a quality BIG LEAGUE shortstop.

    I'm not clairvoyant and have no idea what his future, baseball or otherwise, will be. If we're evaluating him based on the "potential" he had when drafted back in 2015, he was loaded with it. IMO, his baseball future will be determined by his health. Whether he ever becomes a starting SS for the Yankees, at this stage, is irrelevant. Regardless, he very well could become one elsewhere. This is because along w/the strong defensive chops he brings, his hitting skills are catching up to the "potential" he carried w/him when Oppenheimer drafted him in 2015.

  2. #1702
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    Keep you're drawers on, CP. The league average age in AA ball this year was slightly over 23 years old. Holder was older but not "much older." His story isn't the prototypical baseball prospect story. He was a gifted BASKETBALL player in college, and had only turned his attention to playing baseball regularly a year or so before the Yankees drafted him. When drafted, he was a talented athlete who was a totally unfinished baseball product, BUT he was absolutely a kid that shouted "POTENTIAL!" Look up the word when you get a chance; you might learn something. In the meantime, despite suffering a serious back injury and other assorted ailments along the way, this kid put up his best #'s in Trenton this past year against competition that was only slightly younger than he was. His #'s last year reflect the fact he's improving as a hitter. He's learning his craft. Defensively, he's already a quality BIG LEAGUE shortstop.

    I'm not clairvoyant and have no idea what his future, baseball or otherwise, will be. If we're evaluating him based on the "potential" he had when drafted back in 2015, he was loaded with it. IMO, his baseball future will be determined by his health. Whether he ever becomes a starting SS for the Yankees, at this stage, is irrelevant. Regardless, he very well could become one elsewhere. This is because along w/his strong defensive chops he brings, his hitting skills are catching up to the "potential" he carried w/him when Oppenheimer drafted him in 2015.
    @ "learning his craft." He should learn a different craft. He was a college draft pick with 5 mediocre to bad/injury prone seasons in the minors. That's more than enough time to solidify yourself as a prospect.

    He was never loaded with offensive potential when he was drafted. That's what pretty much every scouting report stated.

    Here's a few:
    At best, he's Zack Cozart, who was a second rounder in a better draft, and I liked Cozart's hit tool much more at the same age.
    I would hope the Yankees work with Holder on closing his shoulder and staying inside the baseball. His bat-speed is good, though not excellent. I see a below-average to slightly below-average bat here overall.
    Hits from an even, upright stance, average bat speed, flat, contact-oriented swing, line-drive stroke, will look to bunt early; swing lacks strength, lots of weak contact in looks, struggles to recognize off-speed; will work counts, falls behind often, pitchers attack aggressively, well below-average hitter
    Well-below average raw (power), lacks bat speed and loft, can turn on one, but will more likely play in form of extra-base hits
    He's being punted from the team because the Yankees don't think he's even worth a spot on the 40 man roster. Hopefully that reality hits you. This pick sucked, and his offensive potential never existed.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  3. #1703

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    Keep you're drawers on, CP. The league average age in AA ball this year was slightly over 23 years old. Holder was older but not "much older." His story isn't the prototypical baseball prospect story. He was a gifted BASKETBALL player in college, and had only turned his attention to playing baseball regularly a year or so before the Yankees drafted him. When drafted, he was a talented athlete who was a totally unfinished baseball product, BUT he was absolutely a kid that shouted "POTENTIAL!" Look up the word when you get a chance; you might learn something. In the meantime, despite suffering a serious back injury and other assorted ailments along the way, this kid put up his best #'s in Trenton this past year against competition that was only slightly younger than he was. His #'s last year reflect the fact he's improving as a hitter. He's learning his craft. Defensively, he's already a quality BIG LEAGUE shortstop.

    I'm not clairvoyant and have no idea what his future, baseball or otherwise, will be. If we're evaluating him based on the "potential" he had when drafted back in 2015, he was loaded with it. IMO, his baseball future will be determined by his health. Whether he ever becomes a starting SS for the Yankees, at this stage, is irrelevant. Regardless, he very well could become one elsewhere. This is because along w/the strong defensive chops he brings, his hitting skills are catching up to the "potential" he carried w/him when Oppenheimer drafted him in 2015.
    I agree with all you said too, here is the problem. The profile you just described is NOT a 1st rd draft pick. On top of that, you used the wrong P word, while every high draft pick is picked based on "potential", in Holder's case he is a "PROJECT" based on your own description. His ceiling was pretty low to begin with. While teams are running out Correa, Bogarts, Tatis Jr., here comes the Yankees defensive specialist Holder? What Championship caliber team is running out a weak, below-average hitting defensive specialist? The problem isn't Holder, its Oppenheimer. This is a sad pattern for him. Cito Culver, Brackman, I mean just so many bad examples that you can't ignore a frightening pattern. While the industry was projecting the Yankees to draft Bo Naylor pre-draft, the Yankees went with Seigler. Check out Naylor's #'s and his scouting report. Opp wanted a catcher and had a 50/50 chance of getting it right and he AGAIN chose the wrong guy. Naylor was the next catcher drafted after Seigler.

    The Yankees are hitting on all cylinders in every other aspect of scouting and development except for the amateur draft.
    Cashman told Accorsi, “[B]I feel the responsibility of millions of Yankee fans on my shoulders, fans who take this very seriously and for which every game is very important. I think of that every day[/B].”

  4. #1704

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    @ "learning his craft." He should learn a different craft. He was a college draft pick with 5 mediocre to bad/injury prone seasons in the minors. That's more than enough time to solidify yourself as a prospect.

    He was never loaded with offensive potential when he was drafted. That's what pretty much every scouting report stated.

    Here's a few:








    He's being punted from the team because the Yankees don't think he's even worth a spot on the 40 man roster. Hopefully that reality hits you. This pick sucked, and his offensive potential never existed.

    FIVE YEAR OLD quotes, & that's how you evaluate Holder? Ridiculous! Your first scout quote says 2nd round pick Zack Cozart was part of a DEEPER draft. That means Cozart's draft had more talented players according to the scout. Oppenheimer selecting Holder tells you straight away Oppenheimer was projecting Holder as a project but w/more upside then some of the other "name" brand prospects available at #30 back in 2015. Imo, it was well worth the pick. Holder is a much better player than you are an evaluator. You got a bug up your arse about Holder, that's your business. Holder's fallen off the prospect list due to time passing, & sexier names w/higher signing bonuses. They're not necessarily more talented baseball players. Time waits for no man or baseball player, & that may prove to be Holder's fate regarding his time in the Yankee system. IMO, he's still probably the most sure handed pure shortstop in their system and a work in PROGRESS w/the stick. He's the kind of player who, given the right opportunity and set of circumstances, could arrive and stick w/some big league club and be a real solid contributor w/them in the bargain. You can write him off all you like. It doesn't change the fact he probably starts 2020 on some AAA club just one rung below the bigs. IMO, if healthy, w/the right situation and circumstances, he'll get there soon and surprise even some like you w/how long he's a solid contributor in some club's lineup.

  5. #1705

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by NY_GOLDENARMS View Post
    I agree with all you said too, here is the problem. The profile you just described is NOT a 1st rd draft pick. On top of that, you used the wrong P word, while every high draft pick is picked based on "potential", in Holder's case he is a "PROJECT" based on your own description. His ceiling was pretty low to begin with. While teams are running out Correa, Bogarts, Tatis Jr., here comes the Yankees defensive specialist Holder? What Championship caliber team is running out a weak, below-average hitting defensive specialist? The problem isn't Holder, its Oppenheimer. This is a sad pattern for him. Cito Culver, Brackman, I mean just so many bad examples that you can't ignore a frightening pattern. While the industry was projecting the Yankees to draft Bo Naylor pre-draft, the Yankees went with Seigler. Check out Naylor's #'s and his scouting report. Opp wanted a catcher and had a 50/50 chance of getting it right and he AGAIN chose the wrong guy. Naylor was the next catcher drafted after Seigler.

    The Yankees are hitting on all cylinders in every other aspect of scouting and development except for the amateur draft.
    You don't even attempt a project if you don't believe the ability is there. Holder had/has that ability. THAT's "potential." Oppenheimer obviously thought Holder's upside had more value than whatever else was available at that stage on his draft board. I'm not convinced he was wrong.

    Correa was the #1 draft pick in the country in 2012 so Oppenheimer/Yanks never had a shot. Also, Oppenheimer never had control over Int'l signings so don't know what if any involvement he did or did not have regarding Bogaerts or Tatis. Until relatively recent years, Yanks did a mediocre job at best on Int'l F/A signings. Not sure you can blame that on Oppie although I'm confident CP will. Your evaluation of Naylor over Seigler is a bit premature; don't you think?

  6. #1706
    Member
    Silas Barnaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ventura

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    It just seems to me like the Yankees would do better with 1st round and compensation picks by relying on a publicly-available draft list.

    If the Yankees were hitting on these early picks then they would have the track record to calm the doubters, but thus far the results aren't there.

    What makes it worse is that guys like Volpe and Siegler are getting drafted earlier than projected and then signing for full slot value, so the team is not benefitting from the early savings strategy that other teams are using quite well.

    If your scouts love guys more than the rest of the industry and you want to make sure you get them, at least use that as leverage to have more money later in the draft.

  7. #1707

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post
    It just seems to me like the Yankees would do better with 1st round and compensation picks by relying on a publicly-available draft list.

    If the Yankees were hitting on these early picks then they would have the track record to calm the doubters, but thus far the results aren't there.

    What makes it worse is that guys like Volpe and Siegler are getting drafted earlier than projected and then signing for full slot value, so the team is not benefitting from the early savings strategy that other teams are using quite well.

    If your scouts love guys more than the rest of the industry and you want to make sure you get them, at least use that as leverage to have more money later in the draft.
    Thats what I see too. I go back and look at some publicly available lists from years ago, and see who the Yankees drafted, and question it as well. Was Judge the only one they got right?
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  8. #1708

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    I didn't see this posted anywhere, but Jasson Domiguez hit a home run yesterday in his "first" Yankee minor league AB (though it doesn't count).



    https://nypost.com/2019/10/02/phenom...-with-yankees/

  9. #1709
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    FIVE YEAR OLD quotes, & that's how you evaluate Holder?
    It's almost like you are forgetting what you said moments prior.

    Here's you:
    Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    he's already proven he was not lacking in offensive "potential" when Oppenheimer made him the club's 2nd 1st round pick in 2015
    I'm using "5 year old quotes" to show when he was drafted he didn't have offensive potential. This is what the majority/every scout thought at the time. That is the point. They drafted someone WITHOUT offensive potential in the 1st round. Then Holder went out and in 5 years showed exactly what many projected, he doesn't have a bat. Terrible draft pick. You don't draft a player without offensive potential in the 1st round, especially in an offensive SS major league environment.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  10. #1710
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    I didn't see this posted anywhere, but Jasson Domiguez hit a home run yesterday in his "first" Yankee minor league AB (though it doesn't count).



    https://nypost.com/2019/10/02/phenom...-with-yankees/
    Not yesterday. That's from 10/2.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  11. #1711

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Not yesterday. That's from 10/2.
    Oops, thanks. Someone posted it on FB yesterday so I thought it just happened.

  12. #1712

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    You don't even attempt a project if you don't believe the ability is there. Holder had/has that ability. THAT's "potential." Oppenheimer obviously thought Holder's upside had more value than whatever else was available at that stage on his draft board. I'm not convinced he was wrong.

    Correa was the #1 draft pick in the country in 2012 so Oppenheimer/Yanks never had a shot. Also, Oppenheimer never had control over Int'l signings so don't know what if any involvement he did or did not have regarding Bogaerts or Tatis. Until relatively recent years, Yanks did a mediocre job at best on Int'l F/A signings. Not sure you can blame that on Oppie although I'm confident CP will. Your evaluation of Naylor over Seigler is a bit premature; don't you think?
    Again, you have a problem. NOBODY in the industry had his "potential" rated any higher than a weak hitting defensive specialist. Oppenheimer did the same thing with Cito Culver and others. At some point you have to question Opp's amateur talent evaluation skills. History tells us they are not good.

    You missed the point with Correa, Bogaerts and Tatis. It has nothing to do with the draft postion or Int'l signings. The whole point is, championship caliber teams are running out real talent at the SS position while according to you, Holder has "potential" to hang with them which is extreme insanity.

    Naylor over Seiger is the industry consensus. Keep up. You have to get your head out of the sand and pay attention. Data doesn't lie.
    Cashman told Accorsi, “[B]I feel the responsibility of millions of Yankee fans on my shoulders, fans who take this very seriously and for which every game is very important. I think of that every day[/B].”

  13. #1713
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by NY_GOLDENARMS View Post
    Again, you have a problem. NOBODY in the industry had his "potential" rated any higher than a weak hitting defensive specialist. Oppenheimer did the same thing with Cito Culver and others. At some point you have to question Opp's amateur talent evaluation skills. History tells us they are not good.

    You missed the point with Correa, Bogaerts and Tatis. It has nothing to do with the draft postion or Int'l signings. The whole point is, championship caliber teams are running out real talent at the SS position while according to you, Holder has "potential" to hang with them which is extreme insanity.

    Naylor over Seiger is the industry consensus. Keep up. You have to get your head out of the sand and pay attention. Data doesn't lie.
    I'm not a big draft guy, but this is pretty well stated.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  14. #1714

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by NY_GOLDENARMS View Post
    Again, you have a problem. NOBODY in the industry had his "potential" rated any higher than a weak hitting defensive specialist. Oppenheimer did the same thing with Cito Culver and others. At some point you have to question Opp's amateur talent evaluation skills. History tells us they are not good.

    You missed the point with Correa, Bogaerts and Tatis. It has nothing to do with the draft postion or Int'l signings. The whole point is, championship caliber teams are running out real talent at the SS position while according to you, Holder has "potential" to hang with them which is extreme insanity.

    Naylor over Seiger is the industry consensus. Keep up. You have to get your head out of the sand and pay attention. Data doesn't lie.
    Drafting and developing a player is more art than science. You're not drafting ANY player and expecting him to be a big league player immediately. You're looking at a 17-22 y.o. kid and projecting what he "potentially" could be somewhere "down the road." If everything breaks right, and the kid has what it takes, he makes the show, hopefully sooner than later, and has a tangible baseball career. When drafting a player, you don't allow the "perfect" idea of what a prospect should be to become the enemy of what an individual prospect actually is. Holder was a talented, smart, basketball player, a late commit to baseball and yet a defensively above average shortstop. He also showed signs he could adjust on the offensive side and he put up very respectable #'s offensively on his college team.

    He's had his injuries and challenges, but he's a fundamentally sound offensive player if not a game breaking type player. He's been a work in progress since the day Oppy selected him, and surprise, surprise, he's making considerable progress. He's not that far away, and imo, he's going to be a really good Major League Baseball player. He's more than capable of being a quality starting shortstop in the bigs. In the meantime, like all clubs, they (the Yankees) continue to draft, sign, and develop numerous players from all sorts of places. Unlike other sports, for the most part it takes years of development before you really know how good a prospect can be. IMO, Holder is still a prospect, he's still in play, and he's CLOSE. Regardless of what the general consensus is around here, I know I'm rooting for him!

    https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/...pect-shortstop

  15. #1715

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    It's almost like you are forgetting what you said moments prior.

    Here's you:


    I'm using "5 year old quotes" to show when he was drafted he didn't have offensive potential. This is what the majority/every scout thought at the time. That is the point. They drafted someone WITHOUT offensive potential in the 1st round. Then Holder went out and in 5 years showed exactly what many projected, he doesn't have a bat. Terrible draft pick. You don't draft a player without offensive potential in the 1st round, especially in an offensive SS major league environment.

    That's how the scouts you quoted saw it. Clearly, there were other scouts w/different quotes and when it was Oppy's time to make a call at #30 in 2015, he chose to pop this kid. His college offensive #'s were respectable. Clearly, a Yankee scout or Oppy himself saw something in this kid these other scouts didn't. Time will tell. I like the cut of his jib, & more importantly, the way he plays the game. To single this kid & the place he was taken in the draft out for all this tsuris on this board is way beyond reasonable imho.

  16. #1716

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    It's almost like you are forgetting what you said moments prior.

    Here's you:


    I'm using "5 year old quotes" to show when he was drafted he didn't have offensive potential. This is what the majority/every scout thought at the time. That is the point. They drafted someone WITHOUT offensive potential in the 1st round. Then Holder went out and in 5 years showed exactly what many projected, he doesn't have a bat. Terrible draft pick. You don't draft a player without offensive potential in the 1st round, especially in an offensive SS major league environment.
    If you look at the people who were picked after Holder, very few have panned out. So if your point is the Yankees drafted a bad player from a position they were very likely to draft a bad player, you were right. The MLB draft is truly unique in how little talent there (this is due to so much talent coming from IFA) and how difficult it is to project even the top picks in the MLB. Once you get the bottom of the first round you are just throwing darts. 9/10 times you get nothing, and 1/10 you get Aaron Judge.

  17. #1717

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    Drafting and developing a player is more art than science. You're not drafting ANY player and expecting him to be a big league player immediately. You're looking at a 17-22 y.o. kid and projecting what he "potentially" could be somewhere "down the road." If everything breaks right, and the kid has what it takes, he makes the show, hopefully sooner than later, and has a tangible baseball career. When drafting a player, you don't allow the "perfect" idea of what a prospect should be to become the enemy of what an individual prospect actually is. Holder was a talented, smart, basketball player, a late commit to baseball and yet a defensively above average shortstop. He also showed signs he could adjust on the offensive side and he put up very respectable #'s offensively on his college team.

    He's had his injuries and challenges, but he's a fundamentally sound offensive player if not a game breaking type player. He's been a work in progress since the day Oppy selected him, and surprise, surprise, he's making considerable progress. He's not that far away, and imo, he's going to be a really good Major League Baseball player. He's more than capable of being a quality starting shortstop in the bigs. In the meantime, like all clubs, they (the Yankees) continue to draft, sign, and develop numerous players from all sorts of places. Unlike other sports, for the most part it takes years of development before you really know how good a prospect can be. IMO, Holder is still a prospect, he's still in play, and he's CLOSE. Regardless of what the general consensus is around here, I know I'm rooting for him!

    https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/...pect-shortstop
    The weakness here is your mindset. I don't have a problem with Holder being in the system or anything you mentioned. My ONLY issue is the fact that Oppy picked this type of profile you described, that I boldfaced, in the 1st rd. Combine him being a project with his very limited offensive ceiling and its something you commonly find in the later rds after the 1st.

    Again my problem is not with Holder, I'm rooting for him too, its with Oppy. His selections over his history have been a lot safe picks with limited ceilings or questionable profiles when there are other options with higher profiles available. Do some research, Oppy has been SD since 2005 so there is a LONG track record. That's 15 years of picks and outside of Judge and Betances the results are very blahhh. They can't remain blahh and stay competitive long-term or they will stay hitting salary cap ceiling along with crippling, immoveable contracts. The Intl side can't continue to prop up the deficiencies on the amateur draft side long-term.
    Cashman told Accorsi, “[B]I feel the responsibility of millions of Yankee fans on my shoulders, fans who take this very seriously and for which every game is very important. I think of that every day[/B].”

  18. #1718
    Member
    Silas Barnaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ventura

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Don't know how I missed this, from August 5, 2019 at FanGraphs.com by Marc Hulet:

    Anthony Volpe, SS, Yankees:
    2020 LEVEL: Low-A
    MLB ETA: 2022

    Volpe was an interesting prospect leading up to the draft. MLB.com had him ranked 63rd overall. Baseball America had him at 52. I recommended the New Jersey native be taken 15th overall based on his great makeup, athleticism and excellent swing. The Yankees were happy to gamble on his upside at 30th overall. He was challenged as an 18-year-old, first-time pro with an assignment to Advanced Rookie Ball and he has a modest .699 OPS and 17-30 BB-K through 28 games. He’s hitting better lately and has a .314 average with a BB-K of 5-9 in the last 10 games. He’ll take a little time to put it all together but Volpe could be special.

  19. #1719
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Seems for the last few years the Baseball prognosticators predict who will be selected in R5 and few if any of our prospects make the list but when the dust settles we supply a lot of talent. Yes, many come back but it seems they tend to undervalue our guys??

  20. #1720
    Member
    Silas Barnaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ventura

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    I think they focus on the players who could be a Johan Santana, Dan Uggla or Joakim Soria star and the Yankee players tend to be role player or bullpen types that aren't that exciting to project as 'steals'.

    Luis Torrens is the only one in that category that comes to mind. The Yankees have a very deep system but also do a good job of protecting the impact ones.

  21. #1721
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Vizcaino, Holder, And Gittens could be selected IMO.

  22. #1722
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post
    I think they focus on the players who could be a Johan Santana, Dan Uggla or Joakim Soria star and the Yankee players tend to be role player or bullpen types that aren't that exciting to project as 'steals'.

    Luis Torrens is the only one in that category that comes to mind. The Yankees have a very deep system but also do a good job of protecting the impact ones.
    Torrens still saddens me. After the Padres tried to break him, put up a .300 / .373 / .500 at AA last year. Still only 23.

  23. #1723
    Member
    Silas Barnaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ventura

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Torrens still saddens me. After the Padres tried to break him, put up a .300 / .373 / .500 at AA last year. Still only 23.
    Padres caught the league by surprise with that one.

    It wasn't great for Torrens development but overall, for players like Ford and Cortes, Jr. and others that get picked, it is nice to force that decision by teams as prospects get older.

    If Gittens or Holder or Vizcaino gets a shot on a major league roster I will be happy for them.

  24. #1724
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Torrens still saddens me. After the Padres tried to break him, put up a .300 / .373 / .500 at AA last year. Still only 23.
    He is guaranteed for a major league annual pension plan and a lifetime health insurance coverage before 23. I think he is very thankful for what the Pardes did to him.

  25. #1725
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

    I hope we keep Viz.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts