+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1220

Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

Quote Originally Posted by rpimpsner View Post
    Thank you, Rob.

Anyone else surprised by Ryder Green's low prospect ranking?

FanGraphs - 21
    Pinstriped Prospects - 36
    MLB - 23
    PinstripesPlus - 52
    Baseball America - ?
    Baseball Prospectus - ?

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post

FanGraphs - 21
    MLB - 23
    PinstripesPlus - 52
    Baseball America - ?
    Baseball Prospectus - ?

No. He's a recently drafted high school outfielder draft pick in rookie ball with strikeout issues, and the Yankees have a lot of guys with more 'present' talent in the system. Let's see where he starts on the 2020 preseason lists.....I'm thinking he'll be in the low teens.

NYYF Legend

Adonis Rosa and Johnny Loaisiga called up.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post

FanGraphs - 21
    MLB - 23
    PinstripesPlus - 52
    Baseball America - ?
    Baseball Prospectus - ?
    Yes. He's a teenager with great pedigree (Vandy commit), highly scouted athleticism and tools (including exit velo), showing well in the Appalachian League - he leads the team in XBH and wRC+. He should be at least in the teens, if not higher, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what strikeout issue CTYanks is talking about - he's posting a 26% K-rate on the season. That's not awesome, but pretty much middle of the road when looking at all qualified Yankee minor leaguers (26th out of 48), and certainly below the level of having "strikeout issues".

"Strikeout issues" that are cause for major penalty in scouting lists is when they're above 28%-29%, like Florial, Stowers, Dermis, Cabello, and Saul Torres.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Yes. He's a teenager with great pedigree (Vandy commit), highly scouted athleticism and tools (including exit velo), showing well in the Appalachian League - he leads the team in XBH and wRC+. He should be at least in the teens, if not higher, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what strikeout issue CTYanks is talking about - he's posting a 26% K-rate on the season. That's not awesome, but pretty much middle of the road when looking at all qualified Yankee minor leaguers (26th out of 48), and certainly below the level of having "strikeout issues".

"Strikeout issues" that are cause for major penalty in scouting lists is when they're above 28%-29%, like Florial, Stowers, Dermis, Cabello, and Saul Torres.

Speaking of Dermis - will he be coming back this year at all? Can't remember what his issue was.

Anyone? Thanks.

NYYF Legend

Yankees GCL club scored 5 runs, on 4 hits and 3 BBs in the top of the first. They lost 6-5 in 10, walk-off style. They had 1 hit over the last 9 innings.

Last year in the GCL he was a strikeout machine. Since the 2019 prospect rankings are based mostly upon 2018 performance and draft pedigree relative to the rest of the talent in the system it makes sense he was ranked in the 20s.

Medina: 7 IP 2 H 0 ER 1 BB 10 K

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by roysuniverse View Post
    This is great to see. Maybe the proverbial corner has been turned.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CTyanks View Post
    Last year in the GCL he was a strikeout machine. Since the 2019 prospect rankings are based mostly upon 2018 performance and draft pedigree relative to the rest of the talent in the system it makes sense he was ranked in the 20s.
    I can agree to that, but the Pipeline ranking was a midseason update, which has everything to do with 2019 performance, and it was still only 23. Pinstriped Prospects was mideseason, too, and they were 36 (Rob can probably answer this one directly in the thread, but they have Dermis, Sanford, Stowers, Breaux, and Duran over him, all with red flag K-rates). It's one of those things that feels sort of lazy to me - like they just missed it because they didn't speak to the right person or didn't have as much info on Pulaski as they did on other affiliates.
    Last edited by Snatch Catch; 08-13-19 at 10:02 PM.

NYYF Legend

It coincides almost exactly with my post calling out the Yankees for overhyping him

It coincides almost exactly with my post calling out the Yankees for overhyping him
    Last 2 outings: 12 IP 4 H 0 ER 3 BB 17 K

NYYF Legend

Kyle Holder homered off a rehabbing Corey Kluber (4 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) tonight. He singled later in the game to finish 2-4.

NYYF Legend

medina: 7 ip 2 h 0 er 1 bb 10 k
    ! BB... Awesome!!

I can agree to that, but the Pipeline ranking was a midseason update, which has everything to do with 2019 performance, and it was still only 23. Pinstriped Prospects was mideseason, too, and they were 36 (Rob can probably answer this one directly in the thread, but they have Dermis, Sanford, Stowers, Breaux, and Duran over him, all with red flag K-rates). It's one of those things that feels sort of lazy to me - like they just missed it because they didn't speak to the right person or didn't have as much info on Pulaski as they did on other affiliates.
    I can't speak to the other places but I am really high on Green personally despite some of the reports I got from some scouts on him. I liked what I saw from him in spring training and was hoping he come to SI to start the year. I can tell you the difference in ranking Dermis and Green is not much, you could probably just flip them and no difference, what it came down to was Dermis' power and playing at a higher level. But given that Dermis is now out for probably the rest of the season I would have flipped them.

We try not to base much off of publically available stats, instead going on first-hand observations, what scouts tell us, and the limited amount of trackman data we get to see.

Duran is a guy that has some great stuff from trackman like his exit velo, launch angle, etc is all elite. He has shown an ability to play average defense at second and is working to get better. One of the big reasons we don't really look at the K-rate (especially in the low minors) is just how bad the umpires are.

NYYF Cy Young

Kyle Holder homered off a rehabbing Corey Kluber (4 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) tonight. He singled later in the game to finish 2-4.

lol how can you look at that swing at honestly say the guy isn't a major leaguer
    Don't have a clue

I can't speak to the other places but I am really high on Green personally despite some of the reports I got from some scouts on him. I liked what I saw from him in spring training and was hoping he come to SI to start the year. I can tell you the difference in ranking Dermis and Green is not much, you could probably just flip them and no difference, what it came down to was Dermis' power and playing at a higher level. But given that Dermis is now out for probably the rest of the season I would have flipped them.

We try not to base much off of publically available stats, instead going on first-hand observations, what scouts tell us, and the limited amount of trackman data we get to see.

Duran is a guy that has some great stuff from trackman like his exit velo, launch angle, etc is all elite. He has shown an ability to play average defense at second and is working to get better. One of the big reasons we don't really look at the K-rate (especially in the low minors) is just how bad the umpires are.

Very, very generally speaking with the IFA guys there is a complete and utter inability to recognize spin which is a big contributor to the higher K rates in those cases. A primo example is Antonio Cabello who murders fastballs but struggles mightily against anything that isn't straight. Part of this is due to the ethos that tells these kids 'You can't walk off the island' (h/t Alfredo Griffin). Some learn to rein in the aggression but most unfortunately do not. This is something I'm watching very carefully with guys like Cabello, Salinas, Rosario, Garcia (presently MIA in Pulaski) and eventually Alcantara, Vargas, Ronny Rojas and Bonifacio along with Dominguez. The vaunted '14 class was a massive brick in this respect and I'm looking to see if the Yankee player identification and development has taken any steps forward in this regard or if they're still in the 'throw money at a wall to see what sticks' mode which just doesn't play in today's amateur marketplace.

NYYF Legend

What does Green's Trackman data from Pulaski look like? I was under the impression that he had great production in that regard. The predraft reports on him were that he stood out specifically in some of those areas, and the results - both statistical and video - from Pulaski seem to support that.

Luis Medina since his July 11th Start...

35.0 IP, 2.06 ERA, 51 K, 13.1 K/9, 3.1 BB/9, 0.97 WHIP, 1 HRA

Compared to pre-July 11th Start...

58.0 IP, 8.38 ERA, 64 K, 9.9 K/9, 8.5 BB/9, 2.05 WHIP, 8 HRA

NYYF Legend

NYYF Legend

Wade: 2-3, 2B, BB, now hitting .303 on the year. What a nice comeback for him - hoepfully everyone benefits from it when he's traded to an org where he can get a fresh start this offseason, and the Yankees get a nice lottery piece or two for him.

Stephan: 5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K
    Holder: 1-4, 2B, BB, OPS now at .770 on the year.

Young bucks hurling gems tonight!

Yajure: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 9 K, 7:2 ratio, 96 pitches, 66 strikes
    Roansy: 7 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 10 K... at only 85 pitches after 7, maybe they let him go out for the 8th?

EDIT: Nope, they pulled him. 85 pitches, 58 strikes.

Wade: 2-3, 2B, BB, now hitting .303 on the year. What a nice comeback for him - hoepfully everyone benefits from it when he's traded to an org where he can get a fresh start this offseason, and the Yankees get a nice lottery piece or two for him.
    Any chance we go with a Urshela/Andujar - Torres - Wade - Voit/Andujar infield in 2020? If Wade turns a corner, that would be a solid and cheap infield.

I love Didi, but we are going to have to pay big for him next year, not that t would stop us.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Any chance we go with a Urshela/Andujar - Torres - Wade - Voit/Andujar infield in 2020? If Wade turns a corner, that would be a solid and cheap infield.

I love Didi, but we are going to have to pay big for him next year, not that t would stop us.
    Wade/Valera/Estrada.

One of these 3 are probably gone when they need space on the 40 man roster. There is redundancy between these 3. Probably a trade for a kid who does not need protection for 2 years or so.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Wade/Valera/Estrada.

One of these 3 are probably gone when they need space on the 40 man roster. There is redundancy between these 3. Probably a trade for a kid who does not need protection for 2 years or so.
    Estrada is probably the only one with any real trade value so unfortunately he'll probably be the one to go.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information