+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39 46 47 48 49
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1220

Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The problem I have with this is we have a track record that is years long. I'm amongst the foremost defenders of the FO with regards to the draft year, in essence based upon the idea of, "we know nothing, we have to wait and see".

Well, that data is the epitome of what you're looking for in a wait and see approach. No matter the reasons, there's a bottom line there and it's traceable very directly to the lack of production from their highest picks.

I agree with you that health played a major role in their failures, but so did flat-out picking the wrong guy. The initial post I made in response to the graphic didn't even reference WAR from the picks, but simply becoming a top-100 prospect at some point - I said they were hitting approximately 1 in 5 on that: 3 out of their last 14 first round (+supp) picks (quick glance and memory tells me Kap, Rutherford, and Judge were top-100). That's just not good enough, and it's over a decade of time.

I actually really like Schmidt, and specifically Holder, to bring meaningful value somewhere along the line (I think Holder has a small chance to become a WAR monster like Simmons), so I feel like the situation since Judge is very salvageable, but it's still unquestionably not a good track record.

One thing....the chart does not include international free agents. Thus, Severino, Cano, Soriano and Andujar are missing. Cano alone provides 45.4 of retained WAR, and 23.6 of WAR lost (bRef), totalling 69.0. That would materially affect the rankings alone. Considering MLB has tied both Rule IV and IFA budgets to record via the CBA both should be examined in tandem IMO.

I'm still pretty optimistic about Schmidt, Sauer and Stephan from '17 and Siegler, Breux and Ryder Green from '18. Volpe, Agnos, Sikkema, Smith and Sanford look promising in the early going as well. And let's not, of course, forget Canaan Smith.

I do believe that when Denbo got the boot a couple years ago.....something changed culturally within the organization and if you look closely there have been some very positive development strides in the lower minors the past two years. Those guys should begin filtering to the full season teams in 2020.

The Yankees are like any other corporate conglomerate. Change comes eventually.....but it can take years to turn the battleship.

Ezequiel Duran with his 13th home run, one shy of the SI Yanks record.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

NYYF Legend

Mike Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg (kill Happ):

Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

7K and 2 grounders through 3 perfect.

Mike Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggggggg
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Good pitching from the starters tonight.

Diego Cordero (19, GCL): 6 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K

Nico Rodriguez (19, GCL): 4 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

Yoendrys (CSC): 6 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

German (TAM): 5 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K

Green (TRN): 6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 10:0 ratio

King (SWB): 6.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 11 K, 7:0 ratio, 99 pitches, 59 strikes
    Last edited by Snatch Catch; Today at 12:27 AM.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Can any if them help the big league team RIGHT NOW. There is an emergency.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Groundballs so valuable in this environment. Should replace King with Happ, at the very least it's a chance at unknown/upside that Happ doesn't offer.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Groundballs so valuable in this environment. Should replace King with Happ, at the very least it's a chance at unknown/upside that Happ doesn't offer.
    Is he on the 40 man? It would be interesting to see what would happen if he backs this up with another good start.
    Really is little to lose.

NYYF Legend

King is kind of like Frazier last year to me - just a ridiculously awful time to have a major injury, because he would have been able to essentially star at the big league level if he had been healthy (and things translated upon the promotion).

It was basically their time to shine - the clouds cleared, the gates opened, the sun started shining, the planets aligned...and they got hurt.

I hope King gets his promotion this year and runs with it, because that would be awesome.

Farewell, Ace. That's a bummer, considering how he was looked at once upon a time.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    Is he on the 40 man? It would be interesting to see what would happen if he backs this up with another good start.
    Really is little to lose.
    King is not currently on the 40 man. I mean they could easily DFA Dull to put him on but they will have some interesting decisions with the 40 if/when their 9 players on the 60 day get activated. Some of those 9 have little to no chance of being activated this year (Ellsbury, Bird, Andujar), Some I don't really no about (Heller, Barrett), but 4 they are hoping to get contributions from (Stanton, Severino, Betances, Montgomery)
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    King is not currently on the 40 man. I mean they could easily DFA Dull to put him on but they will have some interesting decisions with the 40 if/when their 9 players on the 60 day get activated. Some of those 9 have little to no chance of being activated this year (Ellsbury, Bird, Andujar), Some I don't really no about (Heller, Barrett), but 4 they are hoping to get contributions from (Stanton, Severino, Betances, Montgomery)
    Heller has to be removed from the 60 Day DL by early September as he has begun his rehab assignment and I would like to see him in the mix of Sept. callups and see if he can help out down the stretch.

Too bad about Acevedo. He just wasn't progressing. So is it an complete release or an outright to the minors when he clears waivers?
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Phinstripes View Post

Farewell, Ace. That's a bummer, considering how he was looked at once upon a time.
    Did anyone expect this? I hope Gearrin is worth it. Would have liked to see Acevedo get more opportunities as a reliever. Did his stuff diminish? Injury?

NYYF Legend

Internet speculation is that it was procedural and they'll resign him to a mL deal, just like they did with German in 2015. Connor Foley specifically notes that he's been on the IL with a triceps injury, which is potentially not good.

NYYF Legend

That's strange that if they DFA they can lose him to waiver claim but if they release him they are allowed to turn around and sign him to MiLB deal because he doesn't go through waivers?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Did anyone expect this? I hope Gearrin is worth it. Would have liked to see Acevedo get more opportunities as a reliever. Did his stuff diminish? Injury?
    His velo was down but more then that he had a great arm but could never corral his emotions on the mound

NYYF Legend

Correa pitching a good one in SI but down 1 run in 6th. Demarco mis played ball to CF for a gift 2B. Pat looks like a corner guy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    That's strange that if they DFA they can lose him to waiver claim but if they release him they are allowed to turn around and sign him to MiLB deal because he doesn't go through waivers?
    a very nice manipulation of the system
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I received my minor league card team sets today and was reminded of Rodney Hutchison.

It seems he is following in Jeff Degano's footsteps in terms of wildness.

In 2018, after being drafted out of UNC in the 6th round, he pitched 32 innings for Staten Island with 31 k's, 6 BB's and 1 HB (hit batter).

This year he's pitched 20 innings with 19 BBs and 16 HBs.

Degano, of course, fell apart in 2016 with 25 BBs and 1 HB in 5.2 innings and then 9 BBs and 4 HBs in only 1 inning (spread over 5 appearances).

Hutchison signed a below-slot deal as a 6th rounder so the Yankees took a chance on a big program arm to save some draft capital so I don't criticize the selection but it is interesting how pitchers lose it so drastically.

(As an aside, I can't recall which team it was but FanGraphs noted that they had a tendency to draft University of Florida pitchers that were highly regarded out of high school and squeezed by the depth of the program. It seems like the Yankees were going for that here, hoping to find something with a live arm at a strong program. Similar to Justin Wilson at Vanderbilt in the 2018 draft.)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post
    I received my minor league card team sets today and was reminded of Rodney Hutchison.

It seems he is following in Jeff Degano's footsteps in terms of wildness.

In 2018, after being drafted out of UNC in the 6th round, he pitched 32 innings for Staten Island with 31 k's, 6 BB's and 1 HB (hit batter).

This year he's pitched 20 innings with 19 BBs and 16 HBs.

Degano, of course, fell apart in 2016 with 25 BBs and 1 HB in 5.2 innings and then 9 BBs and 4 HBs in only 1 inning (spread over 5 appearances).

Hutchison signed a below-slot deal as a 6th rounder so the Yankees took a chance on a big program arm to save some draft capital so I don't criticize the selection but it is interesting how pitchers lose it so drastically.

(As an aside, I can't recall which team it was but FanGraphs noted that they had a tendency to draft University of Florida pitchers that were highly regarded out of high school and squeezed by the depth of the program. It seems like the Yankees were going for that here, hoping to find something with a live arm at a strong program. Similar to Justin Wilson at Vanderbilt in the 2018 draft.)
    Yea, Hutch looked like a nice sleeper pick last year but looks like a different pitcher this season...Wilson has quite the live arm...High 90s legit!!

Thread Information