+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

Anthony Seigler is struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Anthony Seigler is struggling.
    Catching is tough. Do you mean offensively?

Its possible that he's making tremendous progress with blocking, framing and throwing and that the pitchers all love working with him.

As a switch-hitter he also has a lot to work on in terms of mechanics. 19 walks and 18 strikeouts is promising.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post
    Catching is tough. Do you mean offensively?

Its possible that he's making tremendous progress with blocking, framing and throwing and that the pitchers all love working with him.

As a switch-hitter he also has a lot to work on in terms of mechanics. 19 walks and 18 strikeouts is promising.
    The reviews have not been particularly positive on either offense or defense.
    https://twitter.com/jnorris427/statu...127974912?s=19

Is Aaron Judge deflecting from the reality that this team routinely drafts like crap, even considering late position?

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Is Aaron Judge deflecting from the reality that this team routinely drafts like crap, even considering late position?
    They are definitely more reliant on the international market and trade acquisitions than they are the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post

The Yankees are very good at development and very bad at evaluation. Meaning, they constantly put themselves in a position where they're forced to turn trash into treasure. IMO the Volpe pick was the latest example - there were other, more skilled players on the board but the Yankees as with the Siegler pick last year, let their 'makeup' goggles get in the way of the evaluation process. Somebody needs to get it into their heads that this isn't the 1950s anymore and they have a lot of competition for domestic talent.

And it also doesn't help that they drafted a ton of relief pitchers the last two cycles.

MIKE KING REHAB ALERT!

Tossed a clean 1-2-3 inning for the GCL West Yankees against the GCL Tigers this afternoon. 5 pitches, 5 strikes, one K.

Quote Originally Posted by CTyanks View Post
    MIKE KING REHAB ALERT!

Tossed a clean 1-2-3 inning for the GCL West Yankees against the GCL Tigers this afternoon. 5 pitches, 5 strikes, one K.
    Don't go by those pitch counts on the boxscore. Below Pulaski they just go play by play not pitch by pitch.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

If King proves to be healthy and pitching very well the next month or so, could he have a shot at being called up to help the big ball club in 2019? I thought I heard he was a possible 2019 call up earlier before he got hurt.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    If King proves to be healthy and pitching very well the next month or so, could he have a shot at being called up to help the big ball club in 2019? I thought I heard he was a possible 2019 call up earlier before he got hurt.
    He is Rule 5 eligible this year so it is possible he was going to be a call up this year.
    Get the Yankees prospect coverage you deserve at http://www.pinstripedprospects.com/!

The Yankees are very good at development and very bad at evaluation. Meaning, they constantly put themselves in a position where they're forced to turn trash into treasure. IMO the Volpe pick was the latest example - there were other, more skilled players on the board but the Yankees as with the Siegler pick last year, let their 'makeup' goggles get in the way of the evaluation process.
    I didn't love the Seigler and Breaux picks at the time. Didn't love the Schmidt and Sauer combo. I liked the Rutherford pick at the time but it seems like they sold high on him. Kaprielian had promise but Kyle Holder was a clear reach.

What is frustrating for me is that they seem to take guys earlier than projected but still give them full slot bonuses (other than Schmidt's special situation), which doesn't generate any benefit later in the draft.

Volpe went higher than projected and got an overslept bonus.

Seems like an organizational blindspot.

I didn't love the Seigler and Breaux picks at the time. Didn't love the Schmidt and Sauer combo. I liked the Rutherford pick at the time but it seems like they sold high on him. Kaprielian had promise but Kyle Holder was a clear reach.

What is frustrating for me is that they seem to take guys earlier than projected but still give them full slot bonuses (other than Schmidt's special situation), which doesn't generate any benefit later in the draft.

I still think Volpe was drafted in the hopes of persuading Leiter. The Yankees do seem like bad drafters though, which is why I never really hated traded a lot of those guys for MLB talent.

Its nice to get an Aaron Judge every once in a while though. When comparing the Yankees drafts to the Red Sox, seems like they are running laps around New York. Casas drafted after Seigler the latest example.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

NYYF Legend

Based on their ages and the very limited playing time they have received so far as pros, it is a stretch to say that they are not solid picks. Actually, Breaux has looked good to open the season, but has been injured and not played in a long time. But he has produced at the plate in his limited action (although his K rate is quite high this year).

Siegler is a kid, and has very limited experience. Now that he is not pitching, and working full-time as a Catcher, it will take some time for the just turned 20 year old to catch up.

It's way too early to be disappointed with these guys.

Sauer is a kid, and hurt now. Schmidt the Yankees knew he needed TJ surgery, and lost a full season plus in his development. He was a solid or better pitcher at South Carolina, so I am more than willing to give him time to get back to full strength.

And, by the way, aside from his Major League glove at SS, Holder is really hitting this year, and with some pop also. Career high of 18 doubles, career high of 6 HRs, and running a 16% K rate. All in AA, which is not an easy league to hit in. While he does not BB much (around 7.4%), he is not a complete black hole at the plate, and I am confident that he will be taken in the Rule 5 if he is not on the 40 man roster by October 2019.

You canít just say, ďother than Aaron Judge.Ē The fact is that they are going to miss more than they hit drafting late every year. Even with that, they still got Judge.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    You canít just say, ďother than Aaron Judge.Ē The fact is that they are going to miss more than they hit drafting late every year. Even with that, they still got Judge.
    Even with Judge, there was a little bit of blind squirrel. They could have taken him six spots earlier and took Jagielo instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    It's way too early to be disappointed with these guys.
    I have not given up on any of these guys and understand that prospects need time. (See my earlier post about Siegler.)

It just seems odd that other teams have really leveraged a process of drafting guys early for under slot deals and the Yankees are doing the same thing but without getting the benefit of the under slot deal.

Boston signed Lugo for $1.1M and the Yankees signed Volpe for $2.7M even though MLB and FanGraphs had Lugo ranked higher. $1.6M is a lot of draft flexibility.

I have not given up on any of these guys and understand that prospects need time. (See my earlier post about Siegler.)

It just seems odd that other teams have really leveraged a process of drafting guys early for under slot deals and the Yankees are doing the same thing but without getting the benefit of the under slot deal.

Boston signed Lugo for $1.1M and the Yankees signed Volpe for $2.7M even though MLB and FanGraphs had Lugo ranked higher. $1.6M is a lot of draft flexibility.
    If it looks wrong and feels wrong.....IT IS WRONG. Theyíre awful at drafting and itís a big part of why their farm system has been mostly bottom 20 the last 15 years. Itís not the winning record, either, because teams like Houston, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Cleveland have zero problems walking and chewing gum so to speak.

Bad process = Bad results and itís a big part of why Iíd like to see a new GM in place. 20+ years in the power chair is enough.

NYYF Triple Crown

@mryclept

Luis Medina (@ChasRiverDogs) with one of those efforts that make you drool about his potential: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K (new career high). He tossed 95 pitches (62 strikes) #Yankees #milb #PinstripePride

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @mryclept

Luis Medina (@ChasRiverDogs) with one of those efforts that make you drool about his potential: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K (new career high). He tossed 95 pitches (62 strikes) #Yankees #milb #PinstripePride
    His best starts BY FAR have been with Siegler catching, FWIW.

NYYF Legend

Saw Spencer Henson tonight...Luke clone? No, Big kid with pop but Physique wise not Luke yet.. Luke lite

NYYF Legend

His best starts BY FAR have been with Siegler catching, FWIW.
    27/6 4.1IP, 5H, 5ER, 4BB
    21/6 5IP, 7H, 6ER, 1BB
    13/6 6IP, 0H, 0ER, 2BB

I think he's just inconsistent and I'm not sure how much Sielger has helped there.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Interesting to see what theyíll do with him with the Rule 5.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Interesting to see what theyíll do with him with the Rule 5.
    If from now on he turns around, he would definitely gets picked with the stuff he has.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    If from now on he turns around, he would definitely gets picked with the stuff he has.
    Thatís what I figure. Even if the results are lukewarm from here to the end, some team like the Orioles will definitely stick him in the pen.

Yankees have taken risks with lower A ball players at times. Iím guessing the Yankees donít chance it this time.

NYYF Legend

If it looks wrong and feels wrong.....IT IS WRONG. Theyíre awful at drafting and itís a big part of why their farm system has been mostly bottom 20 the last 15 years. Itís not the winning record, either, because teams like Houston, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Cleveland have zero problems walking and chewing gum so to speak.

Bad process = Bad results and itís a big part of why Iíd like to see a new GM in place. 20+ years in the power chair is enough.
    This is so very wrong. They were a top 3 system just 3 years ago. When you graduate a Judge, Sanchez, Torres, Andujar, et al, your system will take a hit. But to say they were a bottom 20 system for most of the last 15 years is so very wrong.

Thread Information