+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Yankees 2019 Minor League News And Notes

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Got to have Loaisiga in there, and Acevedo is in his second year on the 40 man, so it’d be nice to push him a bit too.
    I'm thinking Acevedo can go down the same path Dellin's been on (become a reliever) - and allow the Yanks to let Betances walk after 2019.

If they've decided he's a starter, then he needs a whole year/125 IP between Trenton and Scranton
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I'm thinking Acevedo can go down the same path Dellin's been on (become a reliever) - and allow the Yanks to let Betances walk after 2019.

If they've decided he's a starter, then he needs a whole year/125 IP between Trenton and Scranton
    Ace under pressure doesn't go that well... Great arm for sure but doesn't ever seem to get his emotions in check.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    Ace under pressure doesn't go that well... Great arm for sure but doesn't ever seem to get his emotions in check.

That's interesting. Do you think he can be a starter? I guess he wouldn't be ready until 2020?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

That's interesting. Do you think he can be a starter? I guess he wouldn't be ready until 2020?
    He is a relief pitcher in MLB.

NYYF Legend

He Needs to be talked off a ledge every time he gets in a tight spot whether he caused it or not. Starting I would say would suit him better until he gets his emotions in check. If he ever will? I know why he would be viewed as a possible reliever but i don't know how it would go any better then starting.

Keith Law is announcing his top 100 list this week, today he posted the guys who just missed. He has Everson Pereira at 101 (and called him a potential top 50 guy next year) and Florial at 106.

Law posted 51-100, Deivi Garcia is his #61.

NYYF Legend

Law posted 51-100, Deivi Garcia is his #61.
    Wow....

"If Garcia were 6-foot-2, he probably would be talked about as a top-25 prospect; but he is more Marcus Stroman-sized and a bit slighter of build, so he has been dogged by questions about his durability, even as he dominated both levels of A-ball. Garcia has an easy low-90s fastball that sits 92 to 94 mph and sneaks up on hitters, while his bread and butter is his hammer curveball that's at least a 60-grade pitch now and could be more.

Scouts love his competitiveness, and even though he is small, he is aggressive and attacks hitters in the zone. When the Yankees promoted him to High-A in August, he no-hit Clearwater over seven innings in his first outing, striking out six of the first seven batters he faced. His changeup is his third pitch but should be at least average.

Garcia's delivery is simple, a little heavy on the arm with a moderately short stride, but he repeats it and has no problem throwing all his pitches for strikes. No one wants to assume a 5-foot-9 right-hander is a starter, but Garcia at least looks like he is built from the same mold as guys such as Stroman and Roy Oswalt; and through age 20, Garcia has had no trouble getting batters out."

"if garcia were 6-foot-2, he probably would be talked about as a top-25 prospect; but he is more marcus stroman-sized and a bit slighter of build, so he has been dogged by questions about his durability, even as he dominated both levels of a-ball. Garcia has an easy low-90s fastball that sits 92 to 94 mph and sneaks up on hitters, while his bread and butter is his hammer curveball that's at least a 60-grade pitch now and could be more.

Scouts love his competitiveness, and even though he is small, he is aggressive and attacks hitters in the zone. When the yankees promoted him to high-a in august, he no-hit clearwater over seven innings in his first outing, striking out six of the first seven batters he faced. His changeup is his third pitch but should be at least average.

Garcia's delivery is simple, a little heavy on the arm with a moderately short stride, but he repeats it and has no problem throwing all his pitches for strikes. No one wants to assume a 5-foot-9 right-hander is a starter, but garcia at least looks like he is built from the same mold as guys such as stroman and roy oswalt; and through age 20, garcia has had no trouble getting batters out."
    tinstaapp

Quote Originally Posted by CTyanks View Post
    tinstaapp
    Pet peeve, sorry, but this was one of the dumbest acronyms/concepts ever to catch on. Most stud MLB pitchers are big prospects at one point or another, plenty of them miss but plenty of them make it too. If they had just made the acronym 'tinstaastpp' (there is no such thing as a sure thing pitching prospect), then it would be ok, I guess, although off the top of my head Jose Fernandez was a top 10 overall prospect by 19 and dominated the NL that same year (172 innings of 2.19 ERA).

Speaking of pitching prospects, was it the 2016 draft that had everyone pissed off that the Red Sox had gotten Jay Groome who was "arguably the best pitcher in the draft" that dropped to them due to signability issues? I recall majority of the prospect sites calling them huge winners of the draft, with rumors saying Dombrowski was willing to part with Kopech for Sale because they got a "replacement top pitching prospect" in Groome or something like that.

Yeah, Groome was supposedly very advanced for a HS pitcher, but he has had big injury problems since then, missing a few months in 2017 with a lat injury and then having to get TJS in May 2018.

https://www.mlb.com/news/chris-sale-...me/c-265119400

I know you're not drawing an equivalent here, but dominating in HS is a bunch of levels below throwing 5 no-hit innings in your AA debut at 19, like Garcia did in September. If anyone wasn't following him down the stretch last year (I'm sure we talked about him here a lot), check out his last month and a half of games here, over three levels.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp...ng/2018/MINORS

NYYF Triple Crown

Lindsey Adler

Verified account

@lindseyadler
    4m4 minutes ago
    More
    Here’s some comments from @keithlaw on Estevan Florial:

So According to Keith Law, Florial having trouble picking up spin on breaking ball and recognizes pitches in certain count. If He can learn that, He can be potential star.

NY just hired someone to focus specifically on pitch recognition in the minor leagues, I don't think that's a coincidence.

NYYF Legend

NY just hired someone to focus specifically on pitch recognition in the minor leagues, I don't think that's a coincidence.
    I don't think the hire you refer to was done just for Florial, although he is obviously a good candidate to be the first student. I think most of the Int'l signed kids have this issue, some more than others. They play a lot of ball in Latin America, but maybe the training is not at the highest levels.

Pet peeve, sorry, but this was one of the dumbest acronyms/concepts ever to catch on. Most stud MLB pitchers are big prospects at one point or another, plenty of them miss but plenty of them make it too. If they had just made the acronym 'tinstaastpp' (there is no such thing as a sure thing pitching prospect), then it would be ok, I guess, although off the top of my head Jose Fernandez was a top 10 overall prospect by 19 and dominated the NL that same year (172 innings of 2.19 ERA).
    The term ‘prospect’ is not risk-weighted for position.

Hence, yes, the acronym is inherently valid.

Richmond Virginians

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    I don't think the hire you refer to was done just for Florial, although he is obviously a good candidate to be the first student. I think most of the Int'l signed kids have this issue, some more than others. They play a lot of ball in Latin America, but maybe the training is not at the highest levels.

Perhaps the Yanks would rather spend millions on player development than on Harper or Machado?

NYYF Legend

Perhaps the Yanks would rather spend millions on player development than on Harper or Machado?
    Both are not exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Too much sense...

Fangraphs posted the Yankees top 38 prospects today. More interesting than the list itself is the writeup at the bottom that describes the recent approach to rebuild the system from the bottom with younger high upside players.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-38-p...-york-yankees/

Perhaps no team’s talent cup runneth over quite like the Yankees. Since 2015, they have had 11 players selected from their org in the Rule 5 draft and made countless trades sending away viable major leaguers who couldn’t crack their 40-man roster. As they’ve enacted this 40-man churn, the Yankees have specifically targeted players far away from the big leagues, guys who don’t have to be added to their crowded 40-man for several years.

Because more and more teams have placed value on certainty and player proximity to the majors, the Yankees have been able to flip a bunch of relievers in their mid-20s for young, high-variance players who have sizable upside if things click. Our prospect asset values put big numbers on 50 FV or higher guys, and the Yankees only have one of those, so they won’t rank highly in our farm system rankings. But they definitely have the most of the high ceiling, high-variance sorts, including a few who, as we point out in the scouting reports, could be Top 100 caliber by midseason, giving the Yankees a high likelihood of moving into the top half of systems during 2019, barring trades.

When we spoke with scouts who were excited about talent from the low levels of this system, we asked why their team hadn’t traded for one of those players. The answer? The Yankees won’t discuss them. Their 40-man crunch, big payroll, and talented major league roster have driven the youth movement at the lower levels. This is interesting to contrast with the Rays, who have one of baseball’s smallest payrolls, have stocked their big league team with pre-arbitration talent, and have a farm system clogged with prospects at Double- and Triple-A.

A few other teams have begun to experience a similar 40-man crunch (San Diego and Tampa Bay come to mind) but the Yankees have been employing this methodology for a few years now, and it has had a drastic impact on the shape of their farm system. This, combined with a strong international program and a willingness to acquire additional pool space in recent years, has helped lead to a whopping 58% of the players on this prospect list being teenagers. On average, this is the youngest farm system we’ve written up so far, with players in the 35+ FV or better tiers averaging 20.2 years old, two years younger than in most other systems.

Last year’s Brandon Drury saga is a great example of why that strategy is necessary. Perfectly fine big leaguers are hard for the Yankees to roster right now. They have stars, who will need to be usurped by other players of similar caliber. 25-year-old relievers and utility infielders may be viable big leaguers, but they don’t often suddenly turn into stars. Some of these teenagers might.

NYYF Legend

Nice to see the Yanks resigned Kellin Deglan ...The kid can catch... Never enough receiving insurance!!

Richmond Virginians

Thread Information