+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    NYYF Legend

Re: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    That's BS. You should have won. I'm sure Anita went on to a life of fakenicity and hopefully that inept teacher was fired not long after.
    Anita used her looks to fulfill her lifelong ambition and married a rich guy. The SOB teacher was indeed fired, but not for that.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Not to sound sexist but girls were always sooooo much better at the presentation side than the boys when I was growing up.
    For sure. To be honest, I hadn't a clue it was even a thing. I felt fully blindsided. Not the only time a woman has done that to me. They are better at lots of things where I can't compete.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    For sure. To be honest, I hadn't a clue it was even a thing. I felt fully blindsided. Not the only time a woman has done that to me. They are better at lots of things where I can't compete.
    My eighth-grade English teacher made a very, very big deal about presentation. When she hand d back our book reports, she would hold up Jill Grubaugh's report and tell us all how beautiful it was, how the cover made you want to read it. Then she would hold up John Reisenbach's, with the title scrawled sloppily on a piece of construction paper, and talk about how messy it was and you just really don’t want to read it, now do you?

I was lucky, because I was the fourth child in a family of high achievers, and my name carried a certain cachet in the school system. My sister had had Miss Woods two years earlier, and she was a good artist. I was the one kid in the class who could get As despite having a cover as sloppy as John Reisenbach's.

I had to write one of those back in the 60s. I still remember more about Charles de Gaulle than I ever wanted to know. He even wrote back to me and sent a whole pile of stuff. (I wrote to him in French.)

If I had to do it again, I would have picked someone a lot younger. Less to have to write about.
    He wrote back?? Do you still have the letter and other stuff? That's amazing.

Anita (in my class) wrote about Queen Elizabeth II. She had hers typed and bound and decorated with ribbon and got the top grade. I'm still pissed. QEII had done squat in 1964 compared to CDG.

Mine was twice as long, longhand, stapled, no cover. I got second.

Big lesson? Presentation counts.
    Anita was a genius.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    He wrote back?? Do you still have the letter and other stuff? That's amazing.

Anita was a genius.
    Well, they had autopens in those days. Still, somebody typed out a letter and made reference to my report. My mother sixed all that stuff years ago.

She kept every cocktail party invitation she ever got, though. I threw out bales of them after she died.

NYYF Legend

Well, they had autopens in those days. Still, somebody typed out a letter and made reference to my report. My mother sixed all that stuff years ago.

She kept every cocktail party invitation she ever got, though. I threw out bales of them after she died.

You guys think you had it bad. I went to a Catholic Grade school. The Nuns were evil, vindictive. I was labeled a nerd by my classmates, socially backward due to the Sexually repressed nuns. I was determined to go to a public HS and began to dumb down so as to be one of the socially acceptable. Well my grades were barely above a C. When I finally saw the light by late in my Junior year, my grades were so poor I had doubts that I would get into College. My SAT's did it for me and the rest is history. I would never let any of my kids to go to a religious school.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

I just finished reading “Where the crawdads sing” a great book and best seller. One of the best I have read in a long time.

Ethan Canin and Brad Liethauser are my two favorite authors right now. Liethauser graduated from Harvard Law, Canin from Harvard Med., and oddly enough, I have not read a book written by either where the main subject matter is their respective former profession.

NYYF Legend

David Cone Retweeted
    lindadalton@linda_yankees
    ·
    1h
    @dcone36
    hey all of you fans out there w/Amazon Kindles, David’s terrific book is on sale today at the unbelievable price of $3.99! BUY IT!!!!!!
    One day deal for Cone's book for $3.99!!!!!!

Thread Information