In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

NYYF Legend

Re: What are you reading 2019?

The same things I haven't finished from 2018
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I can't read or write. I think I've mentioned this before. So it's audiobooks for me.

Last year I received an Audible Gift Card for a book a month for 12 months. I also had access to the NJ State Library to borrow/download books since I started this current job in May of 2017.

I still have a few credits left from Audible.

Sad news is that my company opted out of participating (i.e. paying) for the NJ Library so that caused a sadness. I do have access to the Monmouth County (NJ) Library, but the selection isn't a great as the NJ Library.

The good news is that I was able to re-gain access to the NJ Library through a close relative. Whew.

I've been concentrating on trying to finish the Dresden Files books. I'm on #13, so two more after this one (until he writes more).

I have three going. Where'd You Go Bernadette - humourous about an agoraphobic mother that disappears before a family trip to Antarctica told from the pov of the 15 year old daughter. I've been meaning to read it for a while so when I heard a movie was coming I was pushed. Holy Ghost - John Sandford's most recent Virgil Flowers book. And Blood on the Water about the Attica prison uprising. I started it a while ago, took a break and forgot about it. I'm glad I stumbled back on it.

At-tI-ca! At-tI-ca!

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    At-tI-ca! At-tI-ca!
    A Tip on the Derby - George M. Cohan
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I have three going. Where'd You Go Bernadette - humourous about an agoraphobic mother that disappears before a family trip to Antarctica told from the pov of the 15 year old daughter. I've been meaning to read it for a while so when I heard a movie was coming I was pushed. Holy Ghost - John Sandford's most recent Virgil Flowers book. And Blood on the Water about the Attica prison uprising. I started it a while ago, took a break and forgot about it. I'm glad I stumbled back on it.
    Who takes a family trip to Antarctica?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I'm going back to school for the next year and a half to obtain a BS in Computer Networks & Cybersecurity.

So, college textbooks.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I can't read or write. I think I've mentioned this before. So it's audiobooks for me.

Last year I received an Audible Gift Card for a book a month for 12 months. I also had access to the NJ State Library to borrow/download books since I started this current job in May of 2017.

Sad news is that my company opted out of participating (i.e. paying) for the NJ Library so that caused a sadness. I do have access to the Monmouth County (NJ) Library, but the selection isn't a great as the NJ Library.

The good news is that I was able to re-gain access to the NJ Library through a close relative. Whew.

I've been concentrating on trying to finish the Dresden Files books. I'm on #13, so two more after this one (until he writes more).

Wait, you have to pay to use the library in NJ??

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Wait, you have to pay to use the library in NJ??
    The NJ Library (unless your Town/City has an association with them).

And I thought they had figured out a way how to put a tax or a fee on everything single thing in CT
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I am in the middle of the book "Valley Forge", a history of the later stages of the American Revolution in and around NJ, PA and NY where Washington battles with the leading British generals General Howe and his brother Admiral Howe.
    Anyone who is a history buff.

Waiting for me to finish this book is another history tome, " Founders of NJ, first settlers, colonists and biographies by descendants". This is a book published in 2006 and is in it's third edition. It chronicals the history of the colonization of NJ. I cannot wait to read this and learn about the early days of our great state.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

I finished "Blue River" by Ethan Canin. If you are not familiar with his work and enjoy really good fiction, I cannot recommend him highly enough. "A Doubters Almanac" is one of my favorite books.

My brain needs a bit of a break, so I am onto "The Relic Master" by Christopher Buckley, who we discussed in the 2018 thread.

The NJ Library (unless your Town/City has an association with them).
    That's bonkers. Your state is weird.

Back to Mr. Mercedes, I appreciate the JDPNYY endorsement. Patton also read The Outsider which came out last year and is a cousin to the Hodges trilogy. Did you read/listen to that one? It felt like it would have made an excellent episode of the X Files .

NYYF Legend

That's bonkers. Your state is weird.

Back to Mr. Mercedes, I appreciate the JDPNYY endorsement. Patton also read The Outsider which came out last year and is a cousin to the Hodges trilogy. Did you read/listen to that one? It felt like it would have made an excellent episode of the X Files .
    Yes. The Outsider was terrific as well. I really liked the character that linked it to the Hodges trilogy.

Hope is eternal

Almost done with the Michelle Obama autobiography.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

NYYF Legend

Winston's War, 1940-1945 by Max Hastings.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I have a few Virgil Flowers books on my kindle app but haven't read any..I almost forgot that -thanks for the reminder hopefully i'll get back to reading on the ferry and not working in a few months when things calm down and I can start that series..

I recently finished a Stuart Woods(Stone Barrington) book...quick fun read. I'm trying to keep any reading I do light these days as everything else seems so heavy.
    “Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.”

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    I have a few Virgil Flowers books on my kindle app but haven't read any..I almost forgot that -thanks for the reminder hopefully i'll get back to reading on the ferry and not working in a few months when things calm down and I can start that series..

I recently finished a Stuart Woods(Stone Barrington) book...quick fun read. I'm trying to keep any reading I do light these days as everything else seems so heavy.
    Jeanne!!!!

Hope is eternal

After finishing reading the Michelle Obama autobiography the other day I am now reading “The Red and the Blue: The 1990’s and the Birth of Political Tribalism” by Steve Kornanacki of NBC and MSNBC Fame.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

I assume you're enjoying Dresden if you're on Book 13?
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

So Mr. Mercedes was....wow. That was not great.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I assume you're enjoying Dresden if you're on Book 13?
    Yes, excellent. Thanks. I almost gave up.

NYYF Legend

So Mr. Mercedes was....wow. That was not great.
    I disagree. I thought it was quite good.

...but, to each their own.

I disagree. I thought it was quite good.

...but, to each their own.
    It wasn't bad per se, but not one of my top 10 King books. I did not like the villain and found Hodges to be annoying. Maybe you can help me out since I know Brady is back for book 3, does the trilogy tie together well?

The thing that bugged me about it was how convenient everything went for Hodges especially with the drug bust making it so he couldn't call the police. I guess I'm picking nits.

Thread Information