+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: What are you reading 2019?

I've been reading Fate is the Hunter recently. Very good stuff, beautifully written - some of the early descriptions of 1930s civil aviation in the New York area are very poetic.

Hoping to finish that one off as we have the next in The Expanse series waiting for me to get caught up on - my wife having already devoured it in the first 24 hours.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF Legend

The Outsider by Stephen King. A little over half way though, this has got to be one of his most depressing books he's ever written so far. It's good, but depressing.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The Leftovers is a fine book. It reminded me of why I liked the first season of the TV show best - itís not about extraordinary, supernatural flights of fancy, but about the mundane ways we adapt to loss. Perrita is a deceptively simple writer, so itís a quick but affecting read.
    The first season was really good, have been meaning to go back to the latter ones. Worthwile?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    The Outsider by Stephen King. A little over half way though, this has got to be one of his most depressing books he's ever written so far. It's good, but depressing.
    I thought it was great.
    Just win!

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I really enjoyed that one. It was a really interesting premise and the payoff was actually good. I felt like it was his attempt at making a perfect X Files Monster of the Week episode.

I'm halfway through Osamu Tezuka's 8-volume manga Buddha. It's the second time I've read it, and it's even better this time around. Tezuka was so damn great.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The Leftovers is a fine book. It reminded me of why I liked the first season of the TV show best - itís not about extraordinary, supernatural flights of fancy, but about the mundane ways we adapt to loss. Perrita is a deceptively simple writer, so itís a quick but affecting read.

I concur 100%.

NYYF Legend

I am just finishing up a great book "The Accidental Presidents". It is about the eight vice presidents who were elevated to the Presidency when the President died in office. It names LBJ and HST as the two VEEPS who succeeded well beyond expectations in that office. I highly concur with that assessment.
    The only thing that I felt was missing was a chapter on Nixon/Ford. I know Nixon didn't die in office but Ford qualifies as "accidental".
    Next on my list is a book just released two weeks ago. I ordered it today from Amazon, "My Dad, Yogi" by Dale Berra. As my avatar would indicate, I need to read that book.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    The first season was really good, have been meaning to go back to the latter ones. Worthwile?
    Just saw this, after a month. Most people liked the later seasons better - theyíre more daring TV, more mind games and formal experimentation. I preferred the first season for the reasons I gave - except that the third season, if you last, includes one of the most emotionally devastating TV episodes Iíve ever seen,

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
    Charge the most for tickets in the country. Make questionable free agent signings. Realize your mistake, then do nothing but wait them out to get under the luxury tax line. Raise ticket prices. Put less % of revenue on the field of any of the 30 teams. Profit.

I just saved you 300 pages of reading.

I just finished "Into the Raging Sea" about the loss of the SS El Faro in 2015.

https://smile.amazon.com/Into-Raging...s%2C169&sr=8-2

The author got access to the hours of voice recordings preserved on the ship's black box and presents a terrifying account of corporate malfeasance, human error, and poor communication leading to the loss of 33 mariners. I highly recommend it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I just finished "Into the Raging Sea" about the loss of the SS El Faro in 2015.

https://smile.amazon.com/Into-Raging...s%2C169&sr=8-2

The author got access to the hours of voice recordings preserved on the ship's black box and presents a terrifying account of corporate malfeasance, human error, and poor communication leading to the loss of 33 mariners. I highly recommend it.
    For those that don't want to read the whole book Vanity Fair had a pretty good article on it a few year back.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...ter-in-decades
    Baseball is life;

21 biographies of famous people written by ten and 11-year-olds.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Charge the most for tickets in the country. Make questionable free agent signings. Realize your mistake, then do nothing but wait them out to get under the luxury tax line. Raise ticket prices. Put less % of revenue on the field of any of the 30 teams. Profit.

I just saved you 300 pages of reading.
    lol man.

He was a very great man who did a lot of good things for people.

NYYF Legend

I don't think I've had enough alcohol to tackle that one.
    Baseball is life;

He was a very great man who did a lot of good things for people.
    Some of then werenít men, some werenít very great people, some didnít do anything good for others.

But yes, youíre not far from the truth.

I don't think I've had enough alcohol to tackle that one.
    If I drank every time I had to read and grade a piece of writing, Iíd be an alcoholic.

NYYF Legend

I had to write one of those back in the 60s. I still remember more about Charles de Gaulle than I ever wanted to know. He even wrote back to me and sent a whole pile of stuff. (I wrote to him in French.)

If I had to do it again, I would have picked someone a lot younger. Less to have to write about.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I had to write one of those back in the 60s. I still remember more about Charles de Gaulle than I ever wanted to know. He even wrote back to me and sent a whole pile of stuff. (I wrote to him in French.)

If I had to do it again, I would have picked someone a lot younger. Less to have to write about.
    I've done this kind of thing for years with kids, I never had anyone write about the royal family until I came to the US.

One of my kids wrote about Elvis, another about Freddie Mercury.

NYYF Legend

I've done this kind of thing for years with kids, I never had anyone write about the royal family until I came to the US.

One of my kids wrote about Elvis, another about Freddie Mercury.
    Anita (in my class) wrote about Queen Elizabeth II. She had hers typed and bound and decorated with ribbon and got the top grade. I'm still pissed. QEII had done squat in 1964 compared to CDG.

Mine was twice as long, longhand, stapled, no cover. I got second.

Big lesson? Presentation counts.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Hope is eternal

ďLetís Play Two: The Legend of Mr. Cub, The life of Ernie BanksĒ by Ron Rappaport
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

NYYF Legend

Anita (in my class) wrote about Queen Elizabeth II. She had hers typed and bound and decorated with ribbon and got the top grade. I'm still pissed. QEII had done squat in 1964 compared to CDG.

That's BS. You should have won. I'm sure Anita went on to a life of fakenicity and hopefully that inept teacher was fired not long after.
    Just win!

Not to sound sexist but girls were always sooooo much better at the presentation side than the boys when I was growing up.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Not to sound sexist but girls were always sooooo much better at the presentation side than the boys when I was growing up.
    This is one of the reasons the essays are not graded on presentation. They are graded against criteria specifically focussed on the quality of writing.

Writing is graded out of 4. This in itself is stupid. 4 out of 4 is basically an A. But 3 out of 4 is a C. No way of getting a B. This is exhibit 1 of why our grading system sucks.

Now, the one that looks the best also happens to be one of the very best in terms of written quality.

There are projects during the year that get points for presentation. I teach Health and the students do a project on a body system. Ten points out of 100 are awarded for presentation. Similar thing happens for a Social Studies and Science projects.

Thread Information