+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: What are you reading 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    It wasn't bad per se, but not one of my top 10 King books. I did not like the villain and found Hodges to be annoying. Maybe you can help me out since I know Brady is back for book 3, does the trilogy tie together well?

The thing that bugged me about it was how convenient everything went for Hodges especially with the drug bust making it so he couldn't call the police. I guess I'm picking nits.
    The trilogy does tie together well

I suspect you'd like Hodges a bit more as the series goes on
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The trilogy does tie together well

I suspect you'd like Hodges a bit more as the series goes on
    I'll listen to the other two at some point this year. Did you watch the series? It was on some channel I never heard of.

I'm still slogging through Fire & Blood: A History of the Targaryans by George RR Martin. I say slogging because I had a lot of library books come in so it got pushed aside due to time constraints. People have complained that it's not a novel in the normal sense of the word, as it reads like it's written by an old maester writing history so it's almost like a Westeros version of Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative which I loved. I'd rather have Winds of Winter, but I've given up on that.

NYYF Legend

I'll listen to the other two at some point this year. Did you watch the series? It was on some channel I never heard of.

I'm still slogging through Fire & Blood: A History of the Targaryans by George RR Martin. I say slogging because I had a lot of library books come in so it got pushed aside due to time constraints. People have complained that it's not a novel in the normal sense of the word, as it reads like it's written by an old maester writing history so it's almost like a Westeros version of Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative which I loved. I'd rather have Winds of Winter, but I've given up on that.
    I'd like to see the series. Hopefully some day it will be on Netflix or Prime. You need Direct TV to see it now.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Yes, excellent. Thanks. I almost gave up.
    When did you almost give up? And when did it really start picking up for you?
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    When did you almost give up? And when did it really start picking up for you?
    Two thirds through Book 2.

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8446235

I'm glad I stuck with them. I have one more commute with Book 13 and was just notified I have Book 14 assigned to me (from the Wait List).

Some I had long waits to be available from the Library, a couple I couldn't bear the long wait and used some Audible credits. So I've been mixing in other books in between.

I now work from home twice a week so my listening time is down to about 7 or 8 hours a week.

I'm currently listening to Ghost Wars: The Secret history of the CIA, Afghanistan and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001.

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Wars-Af...rds=ghost+wars

It is impeccably researched but a little hard to follow on audible due to the many, many, many Arab names thrown around. I don't love it enough to buy the book on top of the audible file though.

I'm reading Children of Blood and Bone, a well received YA debut about a fictional African continent with magic and an evil king. It's pretty standard YA fare, with several 1st person narrators (which bugs me) but well done and interestingly thought out magic system. First of a trilogy.

https://www.amazon.com/Children-Bloo...blood+and+bone

Saga is a really good comic.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Saga is a really good comic.
    I read the first few collections, but fell off after like 6. It was really good. I want to read his other one Paper Girls.

I read the first few collections, but fell off after like 6. It was really good. I want to read his other one Paper Girls.
    Paper Girls is good, too, but very strange. Not easy to follow.

Vaughn is good. Y:The Last Man was good fun, though it also tailed off. Pride of Baghdad was excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/House-Daniel-...ouse+of+daniel

About 100 pages in on this one. A bit whacky at times, but the subject matter regarding depression era semi pro baseball makes it worth it.

NYYF Legend

I just started the book "Damned Yankees" subtitles, "Chaos, Confusion, and craziness in the Steinbrenner Era" written by Bill Madden and Moss Klein.
    I lived through that era. Anyone who longs for the way George ran the Yankees (and there are many who regularly post here) need to read this book.
    I constantly read posts where the authors lament the way the current owners run the club. They are upset that we don't go aggressively after Machado, Harper and in a while Trout. They bemoan the fact that we never signed Youn Macado and let him go to the BoSox .

Things were not run as well back then as many people seen to want to believe.
    To those this book will be eye opening.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

I just finished a book by Don Winslow called The Force.....one of the best I have read in a long time.

NYYF Legend

I finally completed the Harry Dresden series this past weekend. (Until he finishes another one)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I just finished a book by Don Winslow called The Force.....one of the best I have read in a long time.

Al,
    Do you remember the Radio series circa the late 1940's, "Don Winslow of the Navy" where Commander Winslow fought our enemies and protected the US from sabateurs?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

He just came out with a new one, the third in his cartel trilogy. I'm excited to read it.

https://www.amazon.com/Border-Novel-...gateway&sr=8-1

The explosive, highly anticipated conclusion to the epic Cartel trilogy from the New York Times bestselling author of The Force

What do you do when there are no borders? When the lines you thought existed simply vanish? How do you plant your feet to make a stand when you no longer know what side you’re on?

The war has come home.

For over forty years, Art Keller has been on the front lines of America’s longest conflict: The War on Drugs. His obsession to defeat the world’s most powerful, wealthy, and lethal kingpin―the godfather of the Sinaloa Cartel, Adán Barrera―has left him bloody and scarred, cost him the people he loves, even taken a piece of his soul.

Now Keller is elevated to the highest ranks of the DEA, only to find that in destroying one monster he has created thirty more that are wreaking even more chaos and suffering in his beloved Mexico. But not just there.

Barrera’s final legacy is the heroin epidemic scourging America. Throwing himself into the gap to stem the deadly flow, Keller finds himself surrounded by enemies―men who want to kill him, politicians who want to destroy him, and worse, the unimaginable―an incoming administration that’s in bed with the very drug traffickers that Keller is trying to bring down.

Art Keller is at war with not only the cartels, but with his own government. And the long fight has taught him more than he ever imagined. Now, he learns the final lesson―there are no borders.

In a story that moves from deserts of Mexico to Wall Street, from the slums of Guatemala to the marbled corridors of Washington, D.C., Winslow follows a new generation of narcos, the cops who fight them, street traffickers, addicts, politicians, money-launderers, real-estate moguls, and mere children fleeing the violence for the chance of a life in a new country.

A shattering tale of vengeance, violence, corruption and justice, this last novel in Don Winslow’s magnificent, award-winning, internationally bestselling trilogy is packed with unforgettable, drawn-from-the-headlines scenes. Shocking in its brutality, raw in its humanity, The Border is an unflinching portrait of modern America, a story of—and for—our time.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Al,
    Do you remember the Radio series circa the late 1940's, "Don Winslow of the Navy" where Commander Winslow fought our enemies and protected the US from sabateurs?

Andy
    Unfortunately, I do not recall this radio series. I was into series like “The Lone Ranger” and “ The Shadow” among others. Don’t forget Andy you are older than me!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Paper Girls is good, too, but very strange. Not easy to follow.

Vaughn is good. Y:The Last Man was good fun, though it also tailed off. Pride of Baghdad was excellent.
    Yes! Ex Machina is also a pretty good series, especially for a New York crowd.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania
    Mayonnaise is a demanding master.

NYYF Legend

Reading about current trends in zero-size intelligence, neuro-hacking and data science.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Unfortunately, I do not recall this radio series. I was into series like “The Lone Ranger” and “ The Shadow” among others. Don’t forget Andy you are older than me!

Yes by a month or two.

Hey I may be old, but I truly enjoy it.

Andy

NYYF Legend

Those were two of my favorites, along with Sky King and others

Old time radio was great we could spend hours listing many of them such as Inner Sanctum, Ozzie and Harriot, Life of Rielly and many manty others.

Andy

NYYF Legend

Those were two of my favorites, along with Sky King and others

Old time radio was great we could spend hours listing many of them such as Inner Sanctum, Ozzie and Harriot, Life of Rielly and many manty others.

Andy
    I also liked the same ones. How about listening to Yankee games on the radio before TV? Using your imagination was something that today’s fans would have a hard time understanding before there was TV.

NYYF Legend

I also liked the same ones. How about listening to Yankee games on the radio before TV? Using your imagination was something that today’s fans would have a hard time understanding before there was TV.

Of course, I lover radio. I could let my imagination rum loose. Just like books more than the movies made from them.

Andy

NYYF Legend

Of course, I lover radio. I could let my imagination rum loose. Just like books more than the movies made from them.

Andy
    . By the way Andy I think you are a little more than a year older than me.

NYYF Legend

. By the way Andy I think you are a little more than a year older than me.

All due to good living ands a dash of Vodka or two on occasion

Andy

The Leftovers is a fine book. It reminded me of why I liked the first season of the TV show best - it’s not about extraordinary, supernatural flights of fancy, but about the mundane ways we adapt to loss. Perrita is a deceptively simple writer, so it’s a quick but affecting read.

Thread Information