+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 International Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by MylesThomas1927 View Post
    I’m surprised we didn’t get any slot money in a trade. Maybe we did, as someone suggested, get some in the Gray trade. Maybe the Harvey trade has details to come.
    They'll do the same thing they did in the Otani pursuit when they signed Cabello - trade for it in November before the Rule 5. No big deal.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Triple Crown

MLB officials hope to install an international draft in 2020 or 2021, report says
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/m...1-report-says/

Major League Baseball's owners have long desired an international draft, and a new report suggests they might soon get their wish. According to Ben Badler of Baseball America, MLB officials held a meeting on Tuesday with club personnel and informed them of their desires to institute a 20-round draft as soon as 2020 -- with 2021 targeted as a fallback, since the league would first have to reach an agreement with the players union.

Here's more, courtesy of Badler, the foremost expert on international dealings:

Based on what MLB told team personnel yesterday, the most recent draft concept would be 20 rounds, with teams allowed to trade picks. Every pick would have a hard slot value, so if a team drafts a player and the slot value is $1 million, that player would sign for $1 million. Picks in the top three rounds would be protected for clubs, so if a team drafted a player in one of those rounds who didn't sign, it would potentially receive compensation in the following year's draft.

NYYF Legend

The Yanks have signed few more players after some of the showcases. I have been told that BA will be updating their signing list soon.

NYYF Legend

Yankees sign first Mexican Player under new signing rules..

https://www.elgrafico.mx/deportes/er...on-los-yankees

Devoted Member

Jhon Diaz, #18 on @MLBPipeline’s Top 30 Int’l Prospects list, has signed with the @RaysBaseball. The Yankees were once considered the favorite to sign him.

I guess we weren’t able to acquire enough int’l money.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by MylesThomas1927 View Post
    Jhon Diaz, #18 on @MLBPipeline’s Top 30 Int’l Prospects list, has signed with the @RaysBaseball. The Yankees were once considered the favorite to sign him.

I guess we weren’t able to acquire enough int’l money.

Oh well. On to next year's class!

The Yankees will have plenty of useful players to trade in the offseason leading up to the Rule 5 draft but it looks like Diaz wasn't willing to wait.

Maybe there were doubts about the Yankees being able to make trades due to teams valuing these funds more highly. That would stink.

I'm pissed about losing Diaz to the Rays. Should've traded for the int'l money before the deadline. Plenty of fungible pieces the Yankees could've moved for the required money.

NYYF Legend

Woops. Way to prospect hug Brian. The 40 is a mess.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

As per BA, Castellanos hasn't been signed yet. Oh boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    As per BA, Castellanos hasn't been signed yet. Oh boy...

LOL Escotto and Cabrera's performance in the DSL this season lessens the need for a stateside third baseman.

The concern over this stuff kills me. Their system is packed with the last three years' worth of high upside IFAs...how quickly we forget about Rosario, Garcia, Pereira, Rojas, Alcantara, Vargas, Salinas......my Lord. They essentially punt on parts of one class -AFTER SIGNING THE #1 PROSPECT IN SAID CLASS-and this board has a meltdown.

So Cashman wants to let his minors marinate another year and see what's what. Whooptee-hell. If you really don't like the system get a Change.org petition going to eliminate the international spending restrictions....and might as well abolish the Rule IV draft slotting limits while you're at it.

The only real way for the Yankees to be able to consistently sign gaggles of high upside guys is to......have the ML team lose games, and a LOT of games and I don't see anyone here signing up for that any time soon.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CTyanks View Post
    LOL Escotto and Cabrera's performance in the DSL this season lessens the need for a stateside third baseman.

The concern over this stuff kills me. Their system is packed with the last three years' worth of high upside IFAs...how quickly we forget about Rosario, Garcia, Pereira, Rojas, Alcantara, Vargas, Salinas......my Lord. They essentially punt on parts of one class -AFTER SIGNING THE #1 PROSPECT IN SAID CLASS-and this board has a meltdown.

So Cashman wants to let his minors marinate another year and see what's what. Whooptee-hell. If you really don't like the system get a Change.org petition going to eliminate the international spending restrictions....and might as well abolish the Rule IV draft slotting limits while you're at it.

The only real way for the Yankees to be able to consistently sign gaggles of high upside guys is to......have the ML team lose games, and a LOT of games and I don't see anyone here signing up for that any time soon.
    It's all about adding more quality to the system. If you like him and can sign him you should do it regardless of the number of 3rd baseman in the system. 3rd is a place where many are drafted and signed but don't have the reactions or arm to stick. Enger is a glove first guy it sounds like, not a future 1B or corner OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    It's all about adding more quality to the system. If you like him and can sign him you should do it regardless of the number of 3rd baseman in the system. 3rd is a place where many are drafted and signed but don't have the reactions or arm to stick. Enger is a glove first guy it sounds like, not a future 1B or corner OF.

That's fine in theory. In practice teams are clearly valuing international slot money much more dearly every single season and it's not going to be easy to flip some anonymous Rule V eligible for $750,000 anymore. Now that the Orioles appear to actually be thinking about player development there are no more dupes.

I'd bet, and I have no proof of this, but the money to sign either of the two top 30 guys would have had to come from a deal involving real prospects. Maybe the Yankees would have had to shed Kyle Holder or Chris Gittens, or maybe even Abreu or Rony Garcia. You might say, 'So what, the IFAs have much more potential'; but I think Cashman figures he's got enough talent that's 5-6 years away from relevance and understands that A+ and up has to get fleshed out here going forward or there won't be any depth for the ML team to look to when injuries strike (as we've seen).

NYYF Legend

For me it's simple - it's better to sign Diaz than to not sign him...unless the reason is finding a career death knell after the verbal agreement.

Otherwise, just take the chance. There's nothing to lose except the guy you had to trade anyway this November during the 40 crunch.

If Diaz was getting antsy you should have made a deal at the deadline to get the IFA money. There's always plenty of it flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    For me it's simple - it's better to sign Diaz than to not sign him...unless the reason is finding a career death knell after the verbal agreement.

Otherwise, just take the chance. There's nothing to lose except the guy you had to trade anyway this November during the 40 crunch.

If Diaz was getting antsy you should have made a deal at the deadline to get the IFA money. There's always plenty of it flowing.
    I just do not believe it is that easy to get your hands on spare IFA cash any longer. The market undervalued those slots for a few years but like with any efficient environment the arbitrage corrected.

NYYF Legend

That's fine in theory. In practice teams are clearly valuing international slot money much more dearly every single season and it's not going to be easy to flip some anonymous Rule V eligible for $750,000 anymore. Now that the Orioles appear to actually be thinking about player development there are no more dupes.

I'd bet, and I have no proof of this, but the money to sign either of the two top 30 guys would have had to come from a deal involving real prospects. Maybe the Yankees would have had to shed Kyle Holder or Chris Gittens, or maybe even Abreu or Rony Garcia. You might say, 'So what, the IFAs have much more potential'; but I think Cashman figures he's got enough talent that's 5-6 years away from relevance and understands that A+ and up has to get fleshed out here going forward or there won't be any depth for the ML team to look to when injuries strike (as we've seen).
    I never said getting Ifa cash was easy. My point was your take on enough depth at a position being a valid reason not to try.

I just do not believe it is that easy to get your hands on spare IFA cash any longer. The market undervalued those slots for a few years but like with any efficient environment the arbitrage corrected.
    No, no it's still easy. Here's a trade as proof of that.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...s-rangers.html

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    No, no it's still easy. Here's a trade as proof of that.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...s-rangers.html
    Yeah, I mean this has only been going on for 3 years, and all three years have IFA money being thrown around willy-nilly, specifically in November after all the big dogs get signed J2. There's nothing left for the teams with pool money to do with it if everyone else is agreed.

The Yankees either soured on Diaz, or Diaz said, "forget you guys, I'm getting mine".
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

and just like that Castellano is able to be signed...

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    and just like that Castellano is able to be signed...

Devoted Member

A few days late and dollars short. You should’ve waited, Jhon.
    facebook.com/ItMightHaveBeen?ref=hl

Maybe the Rays broke some unwritten rule about J2 deals and the Yankees are now ready to unleash holy hell on them and their existing deals going forward.

Last year Alexander Vargas had a 2019 deal with the Reds and the Yankees bought him out of it. Maybe they get enough international money in trades to sign Yiddi Cappe.

Let's give the Yankees a chance to respond before we chicken little about Jhon Diaz.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post
    Maybe the Rays broke some unwritten rule about J2 deals and the Yankees are now ready to unleash holy hell on them and their existing deals going forward.

Last year Alexander Vargas had a 2019 deal with the Reds and the Yankees bought him out of it. Maybe they get enough international money in trades to sign Yiddi Cappe.

Let's give the Yankees a chance to respond before we chicken little about Jhon Diaz.
    Could be right SB..The Yanks have signed a bunch of arms i'm told of late. BA, i was told by JJ Cooper has an updated list that will be put out soon. Maybe some of those signings hinged on some of the money meant for Diaz?

Maybe they go after Po-Yu Chen, who is 22nd on FanGraphs list. RHP out of Taiwan.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Barnaby View Post
    Maybe they go after Po-Yu Chen, who is 22nd on FanGraphs list. RHP out of Taiwan.
    Could be...

Thread Information