+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2019 International Free Agency

Kiley McDaniel has NY spending near their full pool allotment on one of the top two prospects this summer, Jasson Dominguez. I can't find any info about him on the web, anyone know anything?

=============

Jeremy: What’s your feeling about the 2019 J2 class? Outside of Puason, who’s even notable?

Kiley McDaniel: Mentioned last week that Jasson Dominguez is the other name in the consensus top tier, some solid guys behind that that may be up there for some scouts

Fangraphs reader: Any other J2 names connected to a specific team other than Puason?

Kiley McDaniel: I’ve heard Puason with Oakland and Dominguez with the Yankees, both for near the whole pool amount

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kiley-mcdaniel-chat-1-9-19/

Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar

Re: 2019 International Free Agency

Out of curiosity: are IBL players eligible?
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2019)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Yeah, I saw that too, literally the only thing I could find. I can’t even find what position he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Yeah, I saw that too, literally the only thing I could find. I can’t even find what position he plays.
    Seeing how he's built, I suspect he's an outfielder.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Seeing how he's built, I suspect he's an outfielder.
    I though the same. Thick leg though could also catch?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    I though the same. Thick leg though could also catch?
    He could catch, but he doesn't look like a catcher as he's really ripped in the torso.

NYYF Legend

Hopefully we are trusting different scouts to go all in on this guy than the ones that scouted the 2014 IFA class.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Jasson Dominguez, OF, Dominican Republic
    Team: Yankees

Dominguez has an exciting level of explosiveness, athleticism and loud tools, with 60s and 70s scattered across his tool set. He's a bursty athlete with well above-average speed and arm strength, excellent bat speed and big power from both sides of the plate coming from his muscular, 5-foot-11, 195-pound frame. Scouts highest on Dominguez raved not only about his tools, both about his ability to both hit and hit for power in games. With Dominguez having premium tools, athleticism and offensive game performance, several scouts consider him the best overall player in the 2019 class. Dominguez trains with Ivan Noboa and is expected to command a bonus of around $5 million.

NYYF Legend

Calmer than you are

“The 2019 class saw its first headlines when Dominican shortstop Robert Puason was barred from signing with the Braves due to an illegal side deal. Puason hit the market again, and we’ve reported for awhile that he’s expected to sign with Oakland for close to their full pool (around $5 million). At the time, Puason was seen as the best July 2nd prospect in years, and some still see him that way, but the consensus seems to have shifted, and Dominican center fielder Jasson Dominguez, expected to sign for about $5 million with the Yankees, is now the top 2019 prospect.

Scouts throw around some big names when trying to wrap their arms around Dominguez’s package of tools: Yasiel Puig, Bo Jackson, and Yoan Moncada are the most common ones. Dominguez runs the 60-yard dash in anywhere from 6.19 to 6.30 seconds, and is a 70 or 80 runner depending on whom you ask. His frame (5-foot-11, 194 pounds, sculpted like a Greek god), easy plus arm, and quick feet are catching-friendly, and scouts that have seem him try the position say he could probably do it full-time, but it sounds like most evaluators (and likely the Yankees) will develop him in center field to let his bat move more quickly. Some scouts think Dominguez’s hands could work in the infield, but he has very few reps there.

The bat speed and power are obvious, so optimistic scouts see a plus hitter with at least plus raw power and plus game power. Dominguez has already hit some balls 110 mph in batting practice, and his righty swing has now caught up with his natural lefty swing in terms of contact traits. He has a hitting warm-up that includes front toss with softballs and heavily weighted bats before he takes on-field BP.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/updated-...pect-rankings/

NYYF Legend

Jasson is exciting. Man. Can he hit though? The only things about the hit tool in that writeup are about "optimistic scouts" thinking it's plus potential, and that his righty swing is now equal to his lefty in terms of contact - but we have no baseline.

Please be awesome, please be awesome, please be awesome...
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

I want a Soto, Acuna, Vlad Jr badly.

I didn't know he was a switch hitter, that'll take some more time to develop.
    Calmer than you are

Correct me if I'm wrong, but him being a 2019 IFA means he won't sign until July 2nd at the earliest? I hope the Yankees do nab him, but is there a possibility another team swoops in and signs him away or is it up to the point where they probably have an unofficial handshake and a gentleman's deal that he will sign with the Yankees?

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but him being a 2019 IFA means he won't sign until July 2nd at the earliest? I hope the Yankees do nab him, but is there a possibility another team swoops in and signs him away or is it up to the point where they probably have an unofficial handshake and a gentleman's deal that he will sign with the Yankees?
    Not really. These deals are in place well ahead of time, often as long as two years.

I wouldn’t lose sleep over it. And if they need more pool allocation they will simply make a few trades.

NYYF Legend

On BA's site Badler has the Yanks interested in another top OF prospect...Jhon Diaz...He said the RS were the favorites at one time but now see the Yanks possibly signing him?? I guess we will have to secure some IFA monies...

Jhon Diaz, OF, Dominican Republic

Diaz is smaller than the other top players in the class, but he's one of the most skilled game players for 2019. He's a lefty who consistently performs well in games with a quick, simple swing and a knack for barreling the ball against live pitching. He's a center fielder with good defensive instincts and one of the smartest baseball IQ players in the country. There was some talk that the Red Sox would be the favorites for Diaz, though more recently there's been buzz on the Yankees here. Diaz trains with German Rosario.

NYYF Legend

Phillies sign 17 year old Miguel Tajada Jr .

Phillies sign 17 year old Miguel Tajada Jr .
    Is that Miguel Tejada's son? If yes, shouldn't the Jays have signed him?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    Is that Miguel Tejada's son? If yes, shouldn't the Jays have signed him?
    I believe so but would think the O's would be the team to sign him. Money and history being factors.

I believe so but would think the O's would be the team to sign him. Money and history being factors.
    Or Oakland who developed him and he played for 6+ seasons.

I'm just saying in terms of the Jays signing so many former MLB players' sons.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I'm just saying in terms of the Jays signing so many former MLB players' sons.
    True..They like the next Gen.player

NYYF Legend

As per Ben Badler the IFA signing ban of Mexican players has been lifted... Should see a few prospects signed soon...

Here is a list of top IFA's from Mexico (Pre- 2018 J2 signing period)
    Mexico:
    Fernando Diaz, C/1B
    Joel Ibarra, SS/RHP
    Jaime Melendez, RHP
    Mario Perez, RHP
    Jose Angel Valenzuela, RHP
    Fernando Villalobos, C

I can't get enough of the descriptions of Jasson Dominguez. Here's a tweet from Callis today:

Thread Information