+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Voter says he wont vote for Rivera..

It might teach Mariano some humility if he doesn't get voted in his first year.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    About time.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yogi Berra was voted into the Hall in 1972. The last two career Yankees to be voted in were Ford and Mantle in 1974. Hence my waiting 45 years since it last occurred. Of course Yogi counts as a career Yankee.
    Weird that Yogi didn't make it on his first year of eligibility in 1971. You'd think he'd have been a first-ballot shoo-in.

Ford didn't make it his first year, either, but there's always been that story that he asked writers not to vote for him that year so he could go in with Mickey the next year. Though the numbers say he got 67% of the vote in 1973 and squeaked in with 77% in 1974, so he was cutting it close if that story is true.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Weird that Yogi didn't make it on his first year of eligibility in 1971. You'd think he'd have been a first-ballot shoo-in.

Ford didn't make it his first year, either, but there's always been that story that he asked writers not to vote for him that year so he could go in with Mickey the next year. Though the numbers say he got 67% of the vote in 1973 and squeaked in with 77% in 1974, so he was cutting it close if that story is true.
    No catcher was inducted in his first year until 1989.

Before 1974, there were only 5 first ballot HOF pitcher:

Walter Johnson 1936
    Christy Mathewson 1936
    Bob Feller 1962
    Sandy Koufax 1972
    Warren Spann 1973

The next first ballot HOF pitcher was Bob Gibson in 1981.

NYYF Legend

I don't understand your comment. Are you saying Mo isn't a humble sort og person? I have never heard anything to the contrary.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I don't understand your comment. Are you saying Mo isn't a humble sort og person? I have never heard anything to the contrary.

Andy
    One can always be more humble.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    No catcher was inducted in his first year until 1989.

Before 1974, there were only 5 first ballot HOF pitcher:

Walter Johnson 1936
    Christy Mathewson 1936
    Bob Feller 1962
    Sandy Koufax 1972
    Warren Spann 1973

The next first ballot HOF pitcher was Bob Gibson in 1981.
    I might be wrong but I think Joe D did not get in his first year either.

NYYF Legend

I might be wrong but I think Joe D did not get in his first year either.
    The 'waiting 5 years' rule hasn't been fully established at that time. Joe D was appeared on the ballot 1 year after he's retired. Then in 1954 the '5 years rule' passed which actually made him ineligible as he retired in 1951. But Joe D got the exemption because everyone knew that he would be inducted the coming year.

Joe D was the only one in the Hall of Fame who played in the 1950s and was elected in the 50s. The next guys were Bob Feller and Jackie Robinson in 1962.

The voters loved him.

NYYF Legend

Uriah Heep thinks so.

Uriah Heep thinks so.
    I always enjoy a good Dickens reference. nicely done
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

If you are too humble you will never get anywhere, especially in business. Being humble when you are negotiating a baseball contract or in arbitration will get you screwed.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    If you are too humble you will never get anywhere, especially in business. Being humble when you are negotiating a baseball contract or in arbitration will get you screwed.

Andy
    Agreed.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

There will always be one yahoo who leaves off the most deserving guy's name just because "if Ruth didn't get 100% nobody will" logic. It's stupid and asinine and childish.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

Yogi Berra was voted into the Hall in 1972. The last two career Yankees to be voted in were Ford and Mantle in 1974. Hence my waiting 45 years since it last occurred. Of course Yogi counts as a career Yankee.
    Yogi Berra, like Willie Mays, played his final games in a Mets uniform.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

I heard the story of Whitey wanting to go in with Mickey, since his career began and ended a year earlier. What I never knew about was Whitey encouraging writers to vote him in on his 2nd year.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get upÖget up; Aretha Franklin; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J; Smokin' Joe

Well, Trevor Hoffman is in the HOF, and I think Rivera not only has better stats but a post-season record that was awesome, so if any closer is Hall of Fame-worthy, it's Rivera. I'd love to see him voted in unanimously, but Rivera himself is probably not at all concerned with this.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post
    Well, Trevor Hoffman is in the HOF, and I think Rivera not only has better stats but a post-season record that was awesome, so if any closer is Hall of Fame-worthy, it's Rivera. I'd love to see him voted in unanimously, but Rivera himself is probably not at all concerned with this.
    More people have walked on the moon than scored an earned run off Rivera in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by njyankeesfan View Post
    Mo has the most regular season saves, the most all star saves and the most post season saves. What does a guy have to do?

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    More people have walked on the moon than scored an earned run off Rivera in the playoffs.
    Twice as many men have been Whig Party presidents of the United States as have homered off Rivera in the postseason. Three times as many men have been members of the Three Stooges as have homered off Rivera in the postseason. The movie "Twelve Angry Men" had 6 times as many angry men as have homered off Rivera in the postseason. According to ? and the Mysterians, you're gonna cry, cry cry cry 48 times as many tears as there are men who have homered off Rivera in the postseason.

Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    Mo has the most regular season saves, the most all star saves and the most post season saves. What does a guy have to do?

Start.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2019)

Totus Tuus

One other rationalization Iíve heard is that if a writer knows player X is going to get the needed votes, that writer will vote for someone else he feels is deserving but close to the percentage.

I think it should be pointed out again that this writer will not submit a ballot, because he doesnít want to be the reason Rivera isnít elected unanimously.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think it should be pointed out again that this writer will not submit a ballot, because he doesnít want to be the reason Rivera isnít elected unanimously.
    This is true but it won't matter. There will be voters who will not vote for Mo. Just like there were voters who did not vote for Griffey Jr. And there will be voters who will skip Jeter next season. It's not going to change. Just enjoy a career Yankees player being voted in. Has not happened in 45 years.

This is true but it won't matter. There will be voters who will not vote for Mo. Just like there were voters who did not vote for Griffey Jr. And there will be voters who will skip Jeter next season. It's not going to change. Just enjoy a career Yankees player being voted in. Has not happened in 45 years.
    Honestly, it doesnít matter that much to me if a career Yankee is voted in. It hasnít happened in 45 years on merit. It wonít affect my appreciation of Rivera even a tiny bit.

Besides, itís not a Hall of Fame without Marvin Miller.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Honestly, it doesnít matter that much to me if a career Yankee is voted in. It hasnít happened in 45 years on merit. It wonít affect my appreciation of Rivera even a tiny bit.

Besides, itís not a Hall of Fame without Marvin Miller.
    So, you could care less?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information