+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: A Lot of Teams not Competing

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    The system is broken not because the FA couldn't get big contract. It's because they're vastly underpaid in early teams' controlled years AND couldn't get big contract when they finally have a chance. The teams are having both ways and pocket more and more money thanks to fans only looking at the FA part.
    Yup. Teams have all the leverage and have accrued more and more power over time. Now we're at a point where there's caps on international signings, there's caps on draft signing bonuses, loopholes to keep guys under entry level contract for an additional year, and also them finally learning that it's not smart to give a 30 year old a ten year deal.

The system is broken and it'll take a work stoppage to change things. Teams make more money every year and spend less on the field. The Yankees spent barely 30% of their revenue on player salaries last year. Every team got a guaranteed $50 million from MLB's sale ofBAMTech streaming software to Disney. That's before a ticket is sold, a jersey is sold, a hot dog is sold, a TV right is received. They also get at least $26 million each from MLB.tv, and then who knows how much from the many incestuous dealings with RSNs. All of this has led to players getting a smaller piece of the pie than at any time since 1990.

When there's a fight between millionaires and billionaires, I'll side with the millionaires.

NYYF Legend

Re: A Lot of Teams not Competing

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    When there's a fight between millionaires and billionaires, I'll side with the millionaires.
    Yeah, we're probably all closer to being millionaires than billionaires. But why can't we all just get along?
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Thread Information