+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2019 HoF Ballot

Re: 2019 HoF Ballot

It's difficult for me to take the hall of fame seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Harold Baines and Lee Smith were just elected by the Today's Game Era committee (the veteran's committee for the period since 1988). I mean, c'mon.
    What's ruined the HOF along the way* has not been the BBWAA voters, but the various iterations of the Veterans Committee. This one so so utterly ridiculous I can't believe it. Never mind arguing about these guys versus other guys - they all had their chances and didn't make it. There's no possible justification for this.

*Apart from the Marvin Miller omission, of course.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    What's ruined the HOF along the way* has not been the BBWAA voters, but the various iterations of the Veterans Committee. This one so so utterly ridiculous I can't believe it. Never mind arguing about these guys versus other guys - they all had their chances and didn't make it. There's no possible justification for this.

*Apart from the Marvin Miller omission, of course.
    What's sad is that it's going to, ironically, tarnish a fine career. Harold Baines was a terrific baseball player. He's not even close to being HOF worthy, however, and the ridiculous inclusion is going to be what he's most remembered for.

NYYF Legend

Paul O’Neill has a higher career WAR than Baines did. (38.8 to 38.7).

22 years in MLB and he had a 38.7 WAR.

For the record, Lou Whitaker had a higher WAR than Baines and Smith...Combined.

The Hall of Good Grief.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Paul O’Neill has a higher career WAR than Baines did. (38.8 to 38.7).

22 years in MLB and he had a 38.7 WAR.

For the record, Lou Whitaker had a higher WAR than Baines and Smith...Combined.

The Hall of Good Grief.

Graig Nettles had a higher WAR (44) in 11 seasons with the Yankees than Baines had in his entire career (WAR 38.7 in 22 seasons).

But Nettles can't even get a mention in Monument Park, alongside immortals such as Tino Martinez and Billy Martin, but Baines is going to Cooperstown.

Willie Randolph had a 65.9 WAR and never got a sniff of Cooperstown either.

NYYF Legend

People complain that award should be voted by players, not the writers.

Then I see this.

NYYF Legend

Reinsdorf praised his former player in a statement. Baines currently serves as a team ambassador in the community-relations department of the White Sox.

"So happy for Harold. He's a great player and a great human being," Reinsdorf said. "I am so honored that I was a member of the committee. He deserved to be in long ago. I am just so excited.

"Not only was Harold one of my favorite players to watch, but I have nothing but admiration for him as a player and as a human being," he said.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...make-hall-fame

Frankie Frisch and his friends Part 2.

What a joke. Let in Harold Barnes and Lee Smith but not Bonds, not Clemens, or anyone who has a whiff of steroids. This is no longer the Hall of the Famous.

Blaine’s was a compiler, but even in the RBI category where he did most of his compiling, he had only three 100-RBI seasons. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be where baseball honors it’s stars. Gaines was never a big star.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    What a joke. Let in Harold Barnes and Lee Smith but not Bonds, not Clemens, or anyone who has a whiff of steroids. This is no longer the Hall of the Famous.

Blaine’s was a compiler, but even in the RBI category where he did most of his compiling, he had only three 100-RBI seasons. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be where baseball honors it’s stars. Gaines was never a big star.
    I’m having difficulty remembering him. Arnold Brains?

NYYF Legend

During his 22 year career he got MVP votes four times, never higher than 9th. I don't know what to say, c'mon. I agree with what previous poster said, a good player, a great career, will be remembered as horrible HOF choice.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14 View Post
    During his 22 year career he got MVP votes four times, never higher than 9th. I don't know what to say, c'mon. I agree with what previous poster said, a good player, a great career, will be remembered as horrible HOF choice.
    Jim Rice’s selection seems just a bit more sensible this morning.

Frankly, something stinks about Baines’ induction. Reinsdorf is out there carrying the water, but this smacks of getting out ahead of the steroid era players getting in. I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Graig Nettles had a higher WAR (44) in 11 seasons with the Yankees than Baines had in his entire career (WAR 38.7 in 22 seasons).

But Nettles can't even get a mention in Monument Park, alongside immortals such as Tino Martinez and Billy Martin, but Baines is going to Cooperstown.

Willie Randolph had a 65.9 WAR and never got a sniff of Cooperstown either.
    Roy White should be in before Harold Baines
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

HOF is a joke

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Roy White should be in before Harold Baines
    Or the greatly underrated Dwight Evans.

But as silly as HOF arguments usually are, now they’ve got us discussing who should be elected from among the people we all agree shouldn’t be elected.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Or the greatly underrated Dwight Evans.

But as silly as HOF arguments usually are, now they’ve got us discussing who should be elected from among the people we all agree shouldn’t be elected.
    Which why I don't hold it high regard
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Marvin Miller needs to be in the Hall of Fame.

Remove Rice, undo the Harold wrong and get Marvin in there.

and Rabbit Maranville. Get him out of there too.
    In "Kids in the Hall" I trust

NYYF Legend

When I think of "snubbed MLB HoFers" I have to say Harold Baines was not who I thought of.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Devoted Member

Baines was consistently a 'good' ballplayer for two decades. But can the story of baseball in 80's and 90's be told without including Harold Baines? I think so.

Congrats to the new inductees voted in by the BBWAA, especially Mussina.

Mo (100%), Mussina, Edgar, and Halladay in. Schilling 60.9%. Best HoF vote ever.

NYYF Legend

0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes
    Reply Retweet 1 Like Direct message

Mark Feinsand

Verified account

@Feinsand
    38s38 seconds ago
    More
    Rivera 100%
    Halladay 85.4%
    Edgar 85.4%
    Mussina 76.7%
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Mo (100%), Mussina, Edgar, and Halladay in. Schilling 60.9%. Best HoF vote ever.
    That has a distinctly AL East flavor, doesn't it?

Congrats to my favorite Yankee on being the first unanimous Hall of Famer. While there are a number of others who were deserving of unanimous entries into the HoF, no reason to deny Mo this well-deserved honor. Huge congrats to Moose as well--he is certainly deserving as well. Doc and Edgar also very deserving, so congrats to them.

Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

NYYF Legend

Thread Information