+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2019 HoF Ballot

NYYF Legend

2019 HoF Ballot

https://www.baseball-reference.com/a...hof_2019.shtml

Returning with 50+% last year - Martinez, Mussina, Clemens, Bonds, Douchebag

Top 5 newly eligible
    THE GOAT, Halladay, Pettitte, Berkman
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 HoF Ballot

My guess is Martinez makes it form the hold overs
    Clemens and Bonds both rise to over 70%, might get in if steroids issue gets dropped by voters all together. Honestly with I-Roid in I don't see why voters are still holding the other two out.

Mariano is a shoe in for the new comers. Could challenge highest % numbers.

Halladay could be close - I think he gets in but not first ballot.
    Don't think any of the others get in.
    Baseball is life;

None of it matters until Marvin Miller is in the HOF.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I will be interested in seeing how many votes Andy gets on his first ballot. IMO, he is borderline HoF, but if he starts strong, it would bode well for his chances.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    None of it matters until Marvin Miller is in the HOF.
    I think I've heard you say this a time or two hundred.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I think I've heard you say this a time or two hundred.
    And itís true every time. Also, should not be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I will be interested in seeing how many votes Andy gets on his first ballot. IMO, he is borderline HoF, but if he starts strong, it would bode well for his chances.
    He could start similar to Mussinaís first year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    And itís true every time. Also, should not be forgotten.
    HOF still matters to most baseball fans (including myself) even though Miller hasn't been inducted.

I think it's a joke that Kuhn is in while Miller is out. But it has nothing to do with the writers. They don't have any chance to vote him in.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    HOF still matters to most baseball fans (including myself) even though Miller hasn't been inducted.

I think it's a joke that Kuhn is in while Miller is out. But it has nothing to do with the writers. They don't have any chance to vote him in.
    They could refuse to vote for other candidates until Miller is in. They could write in his name.

With or without Kuhn, now having Miller is a joke. He doesnít just deserve it more than Kuhn, he deserves it more than Rivera. He is the most important person in baseball history after 1947.

Rivera is a first ballot Hall of Famer. The only reason that he wouldn't be unanimous is some dick-headed contrarian sports-writer wants to get his name out there.

Halladay should get in with no problem.

After that, I'm not seeing anyone on the ballot who isn't in, deserving to be in.
    Ask me about my groin pull.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Andy Pettitte isnít going to sniff the HoF until other guys busted for steroids get in.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

The only reason I could see for some one not including Mo on their ballot is that since he is such an obvious shoe-in that they chose to use their 10 slots for guys who needed more support. Of course if every writer took this position he wouldnít get in but I donít think heís getting in at 100% anyway.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    The only reason I could see for some one not including Mo on their ballot is that since he is such an obvious shoe-in that they chose to use their 10 slots for guys who needed more support. Of course if every writer took this position he wouldn’t get in but I don’t think he’s getting in at 100% anyway.
    There are still some BBWs who don't believe relievers should get in so Mo will lose those votes.

NYYF Legend

I am just glad that Mo will get in on the first try. Baseball writers are notoriously biased. I remember when many snubbed Ted Williams

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I am just glad that Mo will get in on the first try. Baseball writers are notoriously biased. I remember when many snubbed Ted Williams

Andy
    Writers have not voted any career Yankees player in since 1974, (Mantle, Ford). And can you believe that Ford, considered the best Yankees pitcher ever was not voted in his first year on the ballot?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Writers have not voted any career Yankees player in since 1974, (Mantle, Ford). And can you believe that Ford, considered the best Yankees pitcher ever was not voted in his first year on the ballot?
    Not a surprise at all and it has nothing to do with anti Yankees bias. Before 1974, there were only 4 first ballot pitchers inducted by the writers.

Walter Johnson
    Christy Mathewson
    Bob Feller
    Sandy Koufax

After 1974, the first pitcher voted in as a first ballot was Bob Gibson in 1981.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Andy Pettitte isnít going to sniff the HoF until other guys busted for steroids get in.
    I don't see it happening either.
    I would think that Rivera should have to e very close to the highest percentage vote ever. I can't see any justification for Mo losing any votes due to his reliever status. There is just no way you can deny his impact on the Yankees and MLB itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Not a surprise at all and it has nothing to do with anti Yankees bias. Before 1974, there were only 4 first ballot pitchers inducted by the writers.

Walter Johnson
    Christy Mathewson
    Bob Feller
    Sandy Koufax

After 1974, the first pitcher voted in as a first ballot was Bob Gibson in 1981.
    Ford may have been our best pitcher, but he was not dominating like those four guys and Bob Gibson. Yes, Ford was a winner, but he wasn't in the same class as that group.

I realize that it's weird to consider a player underrated if they're in the HOF, but I don't think Bob Gibson and Frank Robinson get their due. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    Williams was screwed over by the writers as he twice won the Triple Crown, but finished second in the MVP voting both times! Most egregiously to Joe Gordon in 1942: .356, 36, 137, 1.147 compared to .322, 18, 103, .900.

In 1947, Williams won the Triple Crown: 32 HR, 114 RBI, .346 BA, 1.133 OPS, 205 OPS+, but finished 2nd in the MVP vote to DiMaggio, 20 HR, 97 RBI, .315 BA, .913 OPS, 154 OPS+.

Holy highway robbery, Batman! Don't want to hear about "Yankees' bias." Not for most of the 20th Century, at least.

And Joe D was as surly as Williams was, maybe more so. Dom DiMaggio considered Williams more of a brother than Joe.

I do realize this book is about Boston, but "The Teammates" by David Halberstam is a great baseball book, chronicling the special relationships of Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Dom DiMaggio, and Johnny Pesky.

Interesting how all four players were west coast guys. Great scouting by Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I don't see it happening either.
    I would think that Rivera should have to e very close to the highest percentage vote ever. I can't see any justification for Mo losing any votes due to his reliever status. There is just no way you can deny his impact on the Yankees and MLB itself.
    Rivera should be unanimous, unbelievably dominating, with one pitch!
    And a truly excellent human being.

I know the Hall of Fame ballot important to some folks but I literally don't give much thought to Hall of Fame entrees these days. It's become the Hall of Really Good.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by JoePepitonesHair View Post
    Rivera should be unanimous, unbelievably dominating, with one pitch!
    And a truly excellent human being.
    He had more than the cutter. Early on he was a power pitcher with impeccable control. Watching him climb the ladder was a thing of beauty. He had what may have been his best season in 1996 before he developed the cutter.

NYYF Legend

Williams was screwed over by the writers as he twice won the Triple Crown, but finished second in the MVP voting both times! Most egregiously to Joe Gordon in 1942: .356, 36, 137, 1.147 compared to .322, 18, 103, .900.

In 1947, Williams won the Triple Crown: 32 HR, 114 RBI, .346 BA, 1.133 OPS, 205 OPS+, but finished 2nd in the MVP vote to DiMaggio, 20 HR, 97 RBI, .315 BA, .913 OPS, 154 OPS+.

Holy highway robbery, Batman! Don't want to hear about "Yankees' bias." Not for most of the 20th Century, at least.

And Joe D was as surly as Williams was, maybe more so. Dom DiMaggio considered Williams more of a brother than Joe.

I do realize this book is about Boston, but "The Teammates" by David Halberstam is a great baseball book, chronicling the special relationships of Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Dom DiMaggio, and Johnny Pesky.

Interesting how all four players were west coast guys. Great scouting by Boston.
    Sure, back then there was no anti-Yankees bias. But since the late 70s it has been suspect. Probably more an anti-Steinbrener bias.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I know the Hall of Fame ballot important to some folks but I literally don't give much thought to Hall of Fame entrees these days. It's become the Hall of Really Good.
    It became that way at least 50 years ago.

The Death Star is Sputtering

Great post. And yes, Joe D. was a great ballplayer but his surliness and general disdain for the public is frequently understated. In short, he was a jerk.

My dad's uncle owned a business near the original YS from the early 1930's until his death in the late 1980's and many Yankee players passed through his shop over the years. He always said Joe D. was by far the rudest Yankee player he ever dealt with. Hated dealing with him.

And "The Teammates" is an excellent book - completely agree!
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information