+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 HoF Ballot

NYYF Legend

Re: 2019 HoF Ballot

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Writers have not voted any career Yankees player in since 1974, (Mantle, Ford). And can you believe that Ford, considered the best Yankees pitcher ever was not voted in his first year on the ballot?
    Which career Yankees do you feel have been snubbed since 74? There are 4 borderline cases in Munson, Mattingly, Williams, Posada but none of those are big snubs in my opionion.

Mo and Jeter will both break that string the coming year’s.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Which career Yankees do you feel have been snubbed since 74? There are 4 borderline cases in Munson, Mattingly, Williams, Posada but none of those are big snubs in my opionion.

Mo and Jeter will both break that string the coming year’s.
    I thought Mattingly and Williams had a case. And both got far less votes then was expected. Posada was gone after one ballot.

NYYF Legend

I thought Mattingly and Williams had a case. And both got far less votes then was expected. Posada was gone after one ballot.
    Dale Murphy was a two-time MVP and he only topped 20% once in 15 years. Jim Edmonds, Kenny Lofton, Ted Simmons were all one and done.

If you have to pick a team which voters are most against to vote, it probably is the Tigers.

NYYF Legend

Mattingly had a 4 peak years from 84-87 that was hall worthy but not so much so that they carried his other 10 years. And 222 HR for a 1B is simply not that impressive.

Williams may be my all time personal favorite Yankee but unfortunately he had some really good years surrounded by some pretty pedestrian ones before and after the run and his raw numbers just don't carry him as an OF. Though I still contend he may have been the most important piece of the dynasty years.
    Baseball is life;

Mattingly had a 4 peak years from 84-87 that was hall worthy but not so much so that they carried his other 10 years. And 222 HR for a 1B is simply not that impressive.

Williams may be my all time personal favorite Yankee but unfortunately he had some really good years surrounded by some pretty pedestrian ones before and after the run and his raw numbers just don't carry him as an OF. Though I still contend he may have been the most important piece of the dynasty years.
    I agree that Bernie's importance was and is consistently underrated, and that he falls just short. He's in the inner circle of the Hall of Pretty Darn Good.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I agree that Bernie's importance was and is consistently underrated, and that he falls just short. He's in the inner circle of the Hall of Pretty Darn Good.
    He was no Marvin Miller
    Baseball is life;

He was no Marvin Miller
    True dat. Another reason he doesn’t belong in the HOF.

NYYF Legend

I wish Marvin Miller would be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Reasons:

1) He is absolutely deserving and it is a crime that he is not in there.

2) I think it would make Dr. JL25and3 really happy. I like to see people really happy.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I wish Marvin Miller would be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Reasons:

1) He is absolutely deserving and it is a crime that he is not in there.

2) I think it would make Dr. JL25and3 really happy. I like to see people really happy.
    I suspect Dr. JL25and3 would just find something else to be grouchy about. He tends to be difficult.

Bernie is the one who deserved it IMO. His peak wasn’t just for a few years, but he had a 10 year run in which he put up the following averages per season:

.314/.401/.515/.916, 137 OPS+, 22 HR, 93 RBI, 99 Runs

Those may not be numbers that carry you into the HOF as an OFer, but he was a CFer which is still a defense first position. At his peak he was a Gold Glove caliber CFer. He won a batting title. He was the cleanup hitter for the greatest team in baseball history. In other sports winning matters, and Bernie was a winner. A key player on a team that went to 6 World Series in 8 years, and won 4 of them. In any other sport, Bernie goes into the HOF. But baseball is enamored with stats.

I suspect Dr. JL25and3 would just find something else to be grouchy about. He tends to be difficult.
    Have you heard the sad news about Ronald Torreyes?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Have you heard the sad news about Ronald Torreyes?
    Yes...I will miss The Homunculus. He was adorably wee.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

While I clearly do not know you as well as you, I have a feeling if Marvin gained the Hall, you would be a changed person and happiness would abound.
    No Yankees to the All Star Game, please. Let them all get 4 days of rest so they can play more real games.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Bernie is the one who deserved it IMO. His peak wasn’t just for a few years, but he had a 10 year run in which he put up the following averages per season:

Those may not be numbers that carry you into the HOF as an OFer, but he was a CFer which is still a defense first position. At his peak he was a Gold Glove caliber CFer. He won a batting title. He was the cleanup hitter for the greatest team in baseball history. In other sports winning matters, and Bernie was a winner. A key player on a team that went to 6 World Series in 8 years, and won 4 of them. In any other sport, Bernie goes into the HOF. But baseball is enamored with stats.
    I'm well aware of Bernie's numbers.
    I could one day see him getting in from the veteran's committee or whatever the equivalent is these days.
    But for now I agree with JL25and3 that Bernie should be in the hall of very good.
    Baseball is life;

One other thing about Bernie, he was one of a great situational hitter. We all know about his record 80 postseason RBI and his 22 postseason HR, a record until it was surpassed by by Manny Ramirez, but his career numbers w/RISP and in high leverage were better than his overall career numbers.

RISP —— .305 BA, .399 OBP
    Hi Lev — .301 BA, .384 OBP
    Overall - .297 BA, .381 OBP

NYYF Legend

Been thinking about this for the last few weeks. Seems like there are 2 folks who should get in: Mo and Halliday.

Mo is the obvious "no-brainer". He should be unanimous, as he was the most dominant at his craft ever, and for an incredibly long time. Halliday was so dominant for roughly 10 years, that he also should get in, although I doubt he will get much more than the 75% minimum.

Among the holdovers, Edgar was as great a hitter for so long, that IMO he should get in this year. Mussina has been steadily climbing, and while I am on the fence with his candidacy, it is difficult to look at his stats and say he is not deserving.

NYYF Legend

Bernie had great post season stats too. I seem to remember one of the knocks on Mattingly was only one year in the Post Season. Not that it was his fault.

NYYF Legend

Bernie had great post season stats too. I seem to remember one of the knocks on Mattingly was only one year in the Post Season. Not that it was his fault.
    Bernie

.297/.381/.477 reg
    .275/.367/.497 post
    not that far off from each other and well within random variance given the sample sizes
    Baseball is life;

Bernie

.297/.381/.477 reg
    .275/.367/.497 post
    not that far off from each other and well within random variance given the sample sizes
    As I've said before, over a 7-year dynasty stretch - 1996-2002 - Bernie was the best position player on the team. Not the best every year, but the best over that time. 144 OPS+
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    While I clearly do not know you as well as you, I have a feeling if Marvin gained the Hall, you would be a changed person and happiness would abound.
    As for the first part of your sentence: you’d be surprised. Half the time I have no clue. All I know is, I tend to be difficult. As for the second part, we'll never know. Thanks for nothin', MLB.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

They could refuse to vote for other candidates until Miller is in. They could write in his name.

With or without Kuhn, now having Miller is a joke. He doesn’t just deserve it more than Kuhn, he deserves it more than Rivera. He is the most important person in baseball history after 1947.
    Let's assume for a moment that the every voter agreed to do as you say this year - not vote for any candidate.

Mo and everyone else would drop off next year's ballot for not achieving the 5% threshold.

I get that it is not going to happen, but there would be a consequence.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    Let's assume for a moment that the every voter agreed to do as you say this year - not vote for any candidate.

Mo and everyone else would drop off next year's ballot for not achieving the 5% threshold.

I get that it is not going to happen, but there would be a consequence.
    There should be a consequence for MLB's chicanery. Their Hall should suffer if they don’t get it together. If the writers made their intentions clear, the HOF could find a way to get Miller in tomorrow.

Addicted Member

I agree; Williams is a HOF CFer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JoePepitonesHair View Post
    I agree; Williams is a HOF CFer.
    Yet Bernie never received a large number of votes. But no anti Yankees bias by the BBWs. Just like no bias against Miller.

NYYF Legend

Yet Bernie never received a large number of votes. But no anti Yankees bias by the BBWs. Just like no bias against Miller.
    Yes just because you think Bernie is a HOFer doesn't mean that he should be a HOFer.

Jim Edmonds has a comparable case and he's a one and done. Dale Murphy only topped 20% once in 15 years on the ballot.

Thread Information