+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Re: Joe Mauer Announces his retirement

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Mauer is a Hall of Famer.

Not just a catcher for the first 10 years of his career, but a Gold Glove catcher who finished top ten in MVP voting 4 times.

Career WAR = 55.1

Some HOF Catchers’ WAR:

59.6 - Mike Piazza
    59.4 - Yogi Berra
    55.8 - Bill Dickey
    53.4 - Gabby Hatnett
    52.1 - Mickey Cochrane
    47.6 - Buck Ewing
    45.9 - Ernie Lombardi
    41.7 - Roger Bresnahan
    34.1 - Roy Campanella
    29.8 - Rick Ferrell
    28.6 - Ray Schalk

Mauer’s WAR for his 7 year peak as a catcher was 39.0. The average Hall of Fame catcher’s WAR for his 7 year peak as a catcher is 34.5. An All Star for6 of his 10 seasons behind the plate, he was the best catcher of his generation and on that basis alone deserves to be in the Hall.
    You make a good argument, buts it’s not the Hall of WAR.

Fact is, his dominance was too short, and he spent half of his career playing 1B with decent production. His overall career numbers are just not HOF-caliber.
    During the span of 15 years, he only has 2,123 career hits, 143 HR, 923 RBI and 124 OPS+.

How is Mauer a Hall of Famer but not Don Mattingly? Or Ted Simmons?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    The Kirby Puckett factor.
    Yes. The opposite of the Dick Allen/Albert Belle factor.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    You make a good argument, buts itís not the Hall of WAR.

Fact is, his dominance was too short, and he spent half of his career playing 1B with decent production. His overall career numbers are just not HOF-caliber.
    During the span of 15 years, he only has 2,123 career hits, 143 HR, 923 RBI and 124 OPS+.

Ted Simmons fell one vote short in 17. He'll make it this year. Don Mattingly wasn't a catcher. Simmons, Mauer, Molina, Piazza, Fisk etc are the comps. Mattingly is a comp for a different position.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    You make a good argument, buts it’s not the Hall of WAR.
    You’re right, Zim. It’s the Hall of Fame. Was Mauer famous? You bet. MVP, 3 batting titles, 6 All Star games = household name.

Fact is, his dominance was too short,
    No, it wasn’t. Catchers are not like other position players. They get beaten up behind the plate, so their careers get shortened.

For his 10 years as a catcher, he batted .323, had a .405 OBP, .468 SLG, and .878 OPS. He average 88 RBI per 162. He batted .308 in his first year as a catcher and .324 his last. Ten year as a catcher is not a short period of dominance.

and he spent half of his career playing 1B with decent production.
    He played 10 years as a catcher and 5 as a 1B/DH.

His overall career numbers are just not HOF-caliber.
    Those would not be HOF numbers for an OFer or 1Bman, but his position has to be factored in. Injuries shortened a couple of his seasons, reducing his counting numbers. More frequent injuries are a factor of his position and can be seen in other HOF catchers.

923 career RBI ranks Mauer 8th among the 15 HOF catchers, right in the middle, more than Cochrane, more than Ewing, more than Campy. His 124 career OPS+ is clearly HOF caliber, equal to or higher than 4 dozen HOFers, including catchers Campanella, Fisk, Carter, IRod, Schalk, and Ferrell.

Mattingly was a 1Bman, one of the most prolific offensive positions on the field. A player has to put up prodigious offensive numbers to make the Hall as a 1Bman.

Simmons was regarded as a poor defensive catcher. It’s a defensive position. Mauer was a Gold Glove catcher.

NYYF Legend

Great player, congrats to him
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    If Mattingly spent 40% playing time at catching instead of 1B, I think he would be in the HOF now.
    40%? Try 60%

921 games at C out of 1,526 = 60.4%

I don't think Mauer is a lock for Cooperstown but I do think he gets in and I do think he's deserving. His low HR totals and drop off in production after moving to 1B will be held against him but I think the his work as both a very good defensive catcher and and excellent offensive catcher will carry him through.

And as others have mentioned I think it won't hurt him that he wasn't a douche.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/l...eball-history/

Older article but I doubt Mauer has more than a couple games behind the plate since it was published.
    For catchers with minimum 500 games caught Mauer ranks
    #1 in AVE @ 328
    #1 in OBP @ 408
    #2 in OPS @ 889

The more a I look at Mauer the more I'm convinced he's a lock for Cooperstown.
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/l...eball-history/

Older article but I doubt Mauer has more than a couple games behind the plate since it was published.
    For catchers with minimum 500 games caught Mauer ranks
    #1 in AVE @ 328
    #1 in OBP @ 408
    #2 in OPS @ 889

The more a I look at Mauer the more I'm convinced he's a lock for Cooperstown.
    If they donít put Mauer in the Hall, they might just as well announce that they just arenít inducting catchers any more.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    If they don’t put Mauer in the Hall, they might just as well announce that they just aren’t inducting catchers any more.
    I'm starting to think it's just a question of whether he gets in on the 1st ballot or the 2nd one. My guess is 1st ballot with around 80% support.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information