+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10

Re: Hal Steinbrenner 2019 Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Maybe some fans will root for 84 wins this year just to say "told you so" but I don't see this team winning less than 95 games as currently constructed. The only question mark other than unforeseen injuries is middle relief, which is always suspect no matter how good or bad it looks on opening day.
    Huh? Middle relief looks fine. Either way, there's a good chance they end up signing Ottavino anyway

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Huh? Middle relief looks fine. Either way, there's a good chance they end up signing Ottavino anyway
    Maybe. Or Hal has closed his wallet for now.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Middle relief can look fine but not perform up to past capabilities. Kahnle was disappointing last year but Holder was a surprise. Green had good runs and bad runs. Chapman and Betances can go from unhittable to not being able to throw strikes. The entire pen is always a concern no matter how well it's constructed.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Not sure I buy that. Hal is supposedly trying to buy YES back; I'd think a marginal dollar for him isn't really all that much compared to some of those other markets, and that the potential reward may be more significant. And while I buy that the WC makes it easy to get into the playoffs, I agree it is really a crapshoot, and he'd be wise to do what he can to maximize the chances that they make the actual playoffs. At this point, this fanbase expects more than the WC, as you can see from responses on this board, and I do think that will erode his potential revenue.
    But Machado could turn the White Sox into competitors next year, even if itís just for the WC. Thatís a low bar, but will make a huge difference in their marketability.

Middle relief can look fine but not perform up to past capabilities. Kahnle was disappointing last year but Holder was a surprise. Green had good runs and bad runs. Chapman and Betances can go from unhittable to not being able to throw strikes. The entire pen is always a concern no matter how well it's constructed.
    Which is why itís not worth putting serious money into bullpen depth. Itís inherently unreliable.

Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Which is why itís not worth putting serious money into bullpen depth. Itís inherently unreliable.

I would agree re: middle relief. We are definitely ok at the end of game ...errr...end
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2019)

Totus Tuus

You can make that argument for anyone's bullpen.

Yankees bullpen is elite/great, it's far from my list of worries (not that there are a whole lot to start with).

Thread Information