+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Hal Steinbrenner 2019 Performance Thread

So bitterly disappointing. A decade long likely dynasty, but no......
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Well, this is the off season when we learned about Hal's business model. Would he spend big to make the Yankees the kind of dominant team they so often were in the last century? Or would he be satisfied with them being competitive enough to get in the playoffs and have a chance?

After his choosing DJ LaMahieu over Manny Machado and Brett Gardner over Bryce Harper, we have our answer. And it sure affects my willingness to buy tickets.
    Me too. I only catch about 8-10 games a year because of my distance to NYC, but I will not be attending any games in person this year. I realize it's barely a drop in the bucket and doesn't matter, but I won't be giving Hal my money if he's not going to go all-in to win.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Me too. I only catch about 8-10 games a year because of my distance to NYC, but I will not be attending any games in person this year. I realize it's barely a drop in the bucket and doesn't matter, but I won't be giving Hal my money if he's not going to go all-in to win.
    He still gets enough of your money through cable carrier deals
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post

Yep. I will still keep the DTV MLB package to watch the Yankees games. I did cancel the YES network though...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Same. Had a partial season ticket plan last year and went two of the home playoff games. Won’t go to a game this year. Will watch on SlingTV if they still carry YES this year.

The Death Star is Sputtering Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I stream everything. He gets nothing from me.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I stream everything. He gets nothing from me.
    I'll have the mlb streaming package because I'll be out of the ny area but no new jerseys or anything for a while. I've been refusing to get a new hat because I hate the new era logo on the side but I guess that's not really Hals fault lol.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Man, you guys act like Hal is the Wilpons.
    Right. Absolutely no interest in his team's having paid something like 60% of MLB LT since 2003--and, if I'm not mistaken, with no guarantee that that dough covered only baseball-related expenses of the mendicant teams. Nor any concern that within a few years Judge, et al. of the youth corps will be expecting mega salaries themselves.

Rough crowd in here.

Machado would make any team better, but honestly I dont see him as a no brainer fit here. He figures to have 3 or 4 more prime years. He has exactly one instance of black ink...doubles in 2013. Much better third baseman than shortstop...and we already have a cost controlled third baseman who has a higher career OPS+ than Machado. (Not to say Andujar is a better player or figures to be, but the delta thus far isn't that great).

As for Hal...since 2009, the yankees have been either first or second in payroll every year except one, last year, when they were 6th or 7th. That's a much better track record than Saint George ever had...at one point, he trailed the Kansas City Royals in payroll...and who only was number one or two in payroll roughly half the time.

Personally I can't call them cheap...particularly in this era of:

--two widlcards (which act as a natural disincentive to keep spending past a certain point),
    --post ped youth movement
    --analytics

The yankees as presently constituted are probably something like 80% to play at least one post season game next year and something like 40% to win the East vs the field. Would adding Machado at those years and cost and commitment really figure to change those metrics that much?

NYYF Legend

I am convinced more than ever that Hal sees the Yankees only from the business side and could care less if the team wins titles or not. As long as the team keeps making money, then that is the only real goal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I am convinced more than ever that Hal sees the Yankees only from the business side and could care less if the team wins titles or not. As long as the team keeps making money, then that is the only real goal.
    Yep. Keep them competitive enough to get into the playoffs, keep fan interest, deposit the playoff ticket money, collect some interest and pay it back out if necessary. Sell some wild card and division champion merchandise and call it a day. Anything else is gravy.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

It ain't just Hal. Darn near the whole sport isn't spending. Meanwhile revenues are way up. System issue.

NYYF Legend

"Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    It ain't just Hal. Darn near the whole sport isn't spending. Meanwhile revenues are way up. System issue.
    Yep.

Structural issues are really curtailing spending.

--Winning and losing doesn't have THAT much impact on the revenue generated from DVR proof regional sports networks starved for programming.

--The second wild card has made it that much easier to get into the post season tournament, providing another disincentive to spend.

--The curtailing of PED's has moved the sweet spot of player control to earlier in their careers...more towards the 7 years pre-free agency.

--The trend towards hybrid players who can play multiple positions...versatility typically doesn't get rewarded in the FA market as much as raw numbers do.

--25 to 30 fewer position players in demand as the game moves towards the extra pitcher at a lower price point.

--(Not sure about this one but possible)...the forecasting of eventual lower overall revenues as baby boomers age and die off and with millenials largely apathetic to spending money on any professional sport, particulalry baseball.

Hal is acting rationally even if the fanboys and fangirls in all of us don't like it.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    Yep.

--Winning and losing doesn't have THAT much impact on the revenue generated from DVR proof regional sports networks starved for programming.

--The second wild card has made it that much easier to get into the post season tournament, providing another disincentive to spend.

--The curtailing of PED's has moved the sweet spot of player control to earlier in their careers...more towards the 7 years pre-free agency.

--The trend towards hybrid players who can play multiple positions...versatility typically doesn't get rewarded in the FA market as much as raw numbers do.

--25 to 30 fewer position players in demand as the game moves towards the extra pitcher at a lower price point.

--(Not sure about this one but possible)...the forecasting of eventual lower overall revenues as baby boomers age and die off and with millenials largely apathetic to spending money on any professional sport, particulalry baseball.

Hal is acting rationally even if the fanboys and fangirls in all of us don't like it.
    Which explains why Machado isn't going to get Stanton's contract. But it doesn't explain why smaller market teams, with less revenue, are in on him when the Yankees aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Which explains why Machado isn't going to get Stanton's contract. But it doesn't explain why smaller market teams, with less revenue, are in on him when the Yankees aren't.
    I think it does, though. Machado has less utility value to the Yankees...both in terms of wins and losses and revenue...than he does to the smaller market teams (funny we are calling the White Sox and Phillies small markets, but they are compared to New York).

If we went back to pre-1995, the Yankees would be all in on Machado, everything equal. Today? With two wild cards, three division winners, a crapshoot play in game and three rounds after that in the tournament....it just doesn't really make sense to break the bank unless you have to. The Yankees will be in the mix with or without Machado and in modern baseball that's pretty much all that matters.

Crow,Tony,Joe D,Yogi,Riz,Judge Tifoso's Avatar

I think it does, though. Machado has less utility value to the Yankees...both in terms of wins and losses and revenue...than he does to the smaller market teams (funny we are calling the White Sox and Phillies small markets, but they are compared to New York).

If we went back to pre-1995, the Yankees would be all in on Machado, everything equal. Today? With two wild cards, three division winners, a crapshoot play in game and three rounds after that in the tournament....it just doesn't really make sense to break the bank unless you have to. The Yankees will be in the mix with or without Machado and in modern baseball that's pretty much all that matters.
    Which is why I despise the 1st WC, let alone the second.
    -Lou
    27 (28 in 2019)

Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Yep.

--(Not sure about this one but possible)...the forecasting of eventual lower overall revenues as baby boomers age and die off and with millenials largely apathetic to spending money on any professional sport, particularly baseball.

Well thought out & well explained post. I agree with everything you're saying, especially your last thought re: future lower revenues - you are now in my Circle Of Trust
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Maybe they are banking some cash in case of a strike?

Addicted Member

Not sure I buy that. Hal is supposedly trying to buy YES back; I'd think a marginal dollar for him isn't really all that much compared to some of those other markets, and that the potential reward may be more significant. And while I buy that the WC makes it easy to get into the playoffs, I agree it is really a crapshoot, and he'd be wise to do what he can to maximize the chances that they make the actual playoffs. At this point, this fanbase expects more than the WC, as you can see from responses on this board, and I do think that will erode his potential revenue.

If this continues, and they don't get Harper or Machado. I will not go to the stadium or purchase any Yankees merchandise this year. They controlled their spending to stay under the cap this year with the prime objective to be able to sign the top FA's. Their approach is very disappointing. I have been a Yankee fan since 1949 and this is the first time I have felt this way. I was really upset with the Sox celebrating on our field last year and now they are laughing at Hal by offering
    to take him to Jimmy Park in Mass. to show their appreciation for not adding the best players to the team this year. POOR with a capital P.

NYYF Legend

Hal could care less. As long as the profits go up he is happy. You wanted Harper or Machado? Would have had to root for the Yankees to win 84 games last season and attendance to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Hal could care less. As long as the profits go up he is happy. You wanted Harper or Machado? Would have had to root for the Yankees to win 84 games last season and attendance to drop.
    Maybe some fans will root for 84 wins this year just to say "told you so" but I don't see this team winning less than 95 games as currently constructed. The only question mark other than unforeseen injuries is middle relief, which is always suspect no matter how good or bad it looks on opening day.
    Let the kids play.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Maybe some fans will root for 84 wins this year just to say "told you so" but I don't see this team winning less than 95 games as currently constructed. The only question mark other than unforeseen injuries is middle relief, which is always suspect no matter how good or bad it looks on opening day.
    I was referring to last season. I hope they get to 100 again this season which should net them the Division title.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    I would never root for the team to under achieve.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Thread Information