+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 53 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    Despite the fact that Degrom has one less year of control than Sale did when he was traded, the Yankees will have to OVERPAY and probably give up a deal at least similar in value to pry him from the Mets. The Mets won't do a "fair" deal. They want an overpay or they won't deal with the Yankees. The Red Sox gave up the number one prospect in baseball, a top 30ish pitching prospect, another top 100 guy and a lower level lotto guy.

Tell me what prospects we have that come close to that? We have ONE top 50 guy with Sheffield. Frazier is damaged goods with his concussion problems. A trade for DeGrom is going to HURT bad. The White Sox wanted Bregman for Sale and Houston told them to go pound sand. So if you aren't willing to pony up then cross DeGrom off the list.

I would love to get DeGrom for a package around Andujar. I don't see it happening, and benching him in the elimination game in the ALDS didn't help his value either.
    Again...Andujar is already an overpay. You are comparing prospects who were in AA to a player who had a ROY campaign. Two main prospects who one in his 2nd season wasn't league average (Moncada) and the 2nd just underwent TJ surgery (Kopech). Not to mention, how much more valuable Sale was at the time of trade. You cannot compare the inherent risks of prospects in AA with someone who just had a successful ROY type major league season. The latter do not get traded due to their immense value.

SC wrote up whole vast thing on this before:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Yes, last year at this time a Torres/Sheffield deal is in the same ballpark as the Sox offer, but actually would have been LESS and the Sox offer would have still won out.

The key here is that when truly elite position players - top 5-10 prospects in all of baseball - get to the upper levels they're almost never traded. If they take the next step and get to the Majors without simply looking overmatched - let alone completely MASHING - they're quite literally untouchable. They become above the market. We're talking above the market to the point that I'm 100% vertain even the Mets understand there's no way they're getting Torres, despite what they're feeding the media via back channels.

I've brought it up in these discussion before, but I'll repeat it again here: Andrew Benintendi was actually ranked above Moncada after midseason updates, but regardless they were technically very close in any prospect rankings. However, Benintendi came up to the Majors in 2016 and was producing, and because of that the Red Sox told the White Sox that Benintendi was off-limits. Moncada, the "#1 prospect in baseball" was on the table, but Benintendi was completely untouchable - even in negotiations for a guy considered to be in the conversation for best pitcher in baseball on a team friendly deal.

In 2014 Mookie Betts was off the table for Hamels
    In 2016 Trea Turner was off the table for Sale
    In 2016 Dansby Swanson was off the table for Sale

Those were the ones that came to my head a few days ago, and I'm sure you can find many more, but he point is once these guys hit the ML level and produce they become above the market, if you will. This has nothing to do with how much I like the players being discussed or anything, this is simply looking at history and how FOs react to having a player they see on a potential All-Star trajectory already in the Majors. Those guys do not get moved for anything less than a crazy return on the extremely rare occasion that they're even dealt, meaning THEY are going to be bring back something major all by themselves, a la Montero/Pineda.

With that said, Cashman has an extremely unique situation with Andujar - he's got a guy he loves waiting in AAA right behind Miguel, so there's a strange ability to move him if it goes there. However Miguel Andujar's trade value at this point is absolutely enormous. He simply does not have "prospect value", he is in a group of players that is normally too valuable to even consider moving...but because of Drury it's at least a consideration to try and cash in on that incredible capital. To put it in perspective, Andujar at this point has considerably more value than Moncada did at the time of the Sale trade, and that is not a personal opinion based on any affinity for the Yankees/Miguel - my apathy towards him is well documented here - but Andujar is raking with power at the ML level, the end. Moncada, for all the fanfare, had well-documented flaws that everyone acknowledged might prevent him from ever reaching what Andujar has already done in less than a half season. That creates the massive chasm in value between "elite prospect" to "young Major League regular showing All-Star potential".
    http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8520266
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I am hoping that Kershaw decides to opt out - at 30 years old and with $65M remaining, he might figuring he can get a four year deal that goes far beyond the $65M total number.

If he opts out, Cashman better be all over him, IMO.

BTW - I like the proposed Arizona trade.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    How many FOTR are available ? What team is going to give up a #1 ? Here's a list : https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ent-class.html
    I suspect Kershaw will opt out of his contract. You can debate whether it's wise to sink that much money into a 30 year old pitcher with injury concerns and declining peripherals but he would certainly be a top of the rotation starter if healthy. Edit: longtimeyankeefan beat me to it.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Corbin is a Free Agent.
    Pardon. What benefit is there to signing him?

How many FOTR are available ? What team is going to give up a #1 ? Here's a list : https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ent-class.html
    Beats me. I just know Corbin wouldn't fill our pitching needs.

Exactly... Severino is our ace next year like it or not. Nobody on that list or available via trade has his upside.
    An ace who can only pitch like an ace for the first half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I don’t get the Corbin love/hate.

He’s a good pitcher and the Yanks currently have 2 guys penciled in next year. Of course the Yanks should have interest. The question becomes of years and dollars if he’s worth it.
    He's ok. Maybe good. It's a marginal upgrade to our staff.

I'm not in favor of going out and signing more offense since that doesn't address our biggest need, but if comes down to spending money on a #3 pitcher or more home runs, I'd go with home runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Pardon. What benefit is there to signing him?

Beats me. I just know Corbin wouldn't fill our pitching needs.

An ace who can only pitch like an ace for the first half of the season.

He's ok. Maybe good. It's a marginal upgrade to our staff.
    He's an upgrade over CC, who, I believe won't be back.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I am hoping that Kershaw decides to opt out - at 30 years old and with $65M remaining, he might figuring he can get a four year deal that goes far beyond the $65M total number.

If he opts out, Cashman better be all over him, IMO.

BTW - I like the proposed Arizona trade.
    People seem to want that shutdown ace for the playoffs. Kershaw has been pretty far from that in his career.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

He's an upgrade over CC, who, I believe won't be back.
    Yes, I won't disagree. But enough of an upgrade to make a difference? Enough of an upgrade to justify the $? In my opinion, no. The front office needs to be all-in on finding a true ace. They can make whatever moves they want in the off-season, and some of them might make us better as a team, but unless we get a legit #1 starter (and probably #2 as well) we aren't winning a WS.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Again...Andujar is already an overpay. You are comparing prospects who were in AA to a player who had a ROY campaign. Two main prospects who one in his 2nd season wasn't league average (Moncada) and the 2nd just underwent TJ surgery (Kopech). Not to mention, how much more valuable Sale was at the time of trade. You cannot compare the inherent risks of prospects in AA with someone who just had a successful ROY type major league season. The latter do not get traded due to their immense value.

SC wrote up whole vast thing on this before:
    Hindsight doesn't matter. It is how those prospects were viewed at the time of the deal. Three of them were top 100.

Fine.. take Andujar and Torres off the table. We don't have the prospects to get it done. One top 50 guy is not enough. For example, the Astros have 2 top 10 and 3 top 50. They can get it done without giving up major league talent, and if DeGrom becomes available you can bet every contender will be on the phone with the Mets.

NYYF Legend

Hindsight doesn't matter. It is how those prospects were viewed at the time of the deal. Three of them were top 100.

Fine.. take Andujar and Torres off the table. We don't have the prospects to get it done. One top 50 guy is not enough. For example, the Astros have 2 top 10 and 3 top 50. They can get it done without giving up major league talent, and if DeGrom becomes available you can bet every contender will be on the phone with the Mets.
    I'm saying including Andujar in a deal for DeGrom is an overpay. I would do Andujar and some ancillary players, Wade, ect... That's an overpay. A gross overpay.

You were saying it wasn't an overpay. I'm explaining to you why it is.
    Calmer than you are

I'm saying including Andujar in a deal for DeGrom is an overpay. I would do Andujar and some ancillary players, Wade, ect... That's an overpay. A gross overpay.

You were saying it wasn't an overpay. I'm explaining to you why it is.
    I'm not arguing that it isn't an overpay. I'm saying I don't think the Mets will take Andujar plus.... They don't want just an overpay. They want a speed up our rebuild by several years overpay. As I said earlier... consider it the Yankee Premium.

NYYF Legend

I'm not arguing that it isn't an overpay. I'm saying I don't think the Mets will take Andujar plus.... They don't want just an overpay. They want a speed up our rebuild by several years overpay. As I said earlier... consider it the Yankee Premium.
    I don't understand what that means. Andujar led package would an overpay on an historical level. It's as simple as that.
    Calmer than you are

I don't understand what that means. Andujar led package would an overpay on an historical level. It's as simple as that.
    I think it means Torres plus Sheffield. That's the kind of stupid overpay they want.

NYYF Legend

I think it means Torres plus Sheffield. That's the kind of stupid overpay they want.
    Completely disagree that's what would be required.
    Calmer than you are

Completely disagree that's what would be required.

CP, I normally side with you, but in this case, I actually agree with JL.
    At the deadline I read and heard in several places that the Wilpons view a successful day in baseball as a day when the Mets win and the Yankees lose. It was stated that they do not even enjoy their own team winning on a given day unless the Yankees also lose..

Given that, we are not dealing with a GM or organizational philosophy, we are dealing with an ownership who has an irrational hatred for the Yankees. This is not just an overpay on a rational level, it has to be a stupid deal.. It has to be the type of deal that if DeGrom wins the CYA award for the Yankees next year and gets us title number 28, the Mets have to feel they still won the deal.. People are debating packages headed by Andujar or Torres. Forget that, you have to be talking about Andujar AND Torres. Again, I realize it is completely dumb to even consider that, but that is the price for the irrational hatred.

It's a message board so I am never going to say to anyone that we should not even bother discussing a topic, but to me, dealing with the Mets on any significant level comes close. They'd rather take a far lesser package from anyone else than entertain a mere scintilla of thought of helping the Yankees. Obtaining DeGrom is not about entertaining an overpay, it is about entertaining a system wide organizational rape.

Never were these teams more matched than this year. The Mets deep in starters, even beyond deGrom, the Yankees able to give the Mets a young athletic bat. If the Mets were the Marlins or the Padres, a deal would have been done. These teams cannot share a weight room facility without fighting.

Wheteher any of the Mets pitchers were on the trade table or whether they will be is not of any consequence to us, because even if so they would only be on the table for the other 28 teams.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    CP, I normally side with you, but in this case, I actually agree with JL.

At the deadline I read and heard in several places that the Wilpons view a successful day in baseball as a day when the Mets win and the Yankees lose. It was stated that they do not even enjoy their own team winning on a given day unless the Yankees also lose..

Given that, we are not dealing with a GM or organizational philosophy, we are dealing with an ownership who has an irrational hatred for the Yankees. This is not just an overpay on a rational level, it has to be a stupid deal.. It has to be the type of deal that if DeGrom wins the CYA award for the Yankees next year and gets us title number 28, the Mets have to feel they still won the deal.. People are debating packages headed by Andujar or Torres. Forget that, you have to be talking about Andujar AND Torres. Again, I realize it is completely dumb to even consider that, but that is the price for the irrational hatred.

It's a message board so I am never going to say to anyone that we should not even bother discussing a topic, but to me, dealing with the Mets on any significant level comes close. They'd rather take a far lesser package from anyone else than entertain a mere scintilla of thought of helping the Yankees. Obtaining DeGrom is not about entertaining an overpay, it is about entertaining a system wide organizational rape.

Never were these teams more matched than this year. The Mets deep in starters, even beyond deGrom, the Yankees able to give the Mets a young athletic bat. If the Mets were the Marlins or the Padres, a deal would have been done. These teams cannot share a weight room facility without fighting.

Wheteher any of the Mets pitchers were on the trade table or whether they will be is not of any consequence to us, because even if so they would only be on the table for the other 28 teams.
    I don't really buy into much tabloid nonsense. If the Mets are going to be irrational, they are going to be irrational. However, Cashman never offered Andj OR Gley for DeGrom in their midseason negotiations. So we have no idea what their response to such a gross overpay would actually be.
    Calmer than you are

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Trades like this have occurred before.

Dan Haren for Carlos Gonzalez
    Rick Sutcliffe for Joe Carter & Mel Hall
    Josh Beckett (& Mike Lowell) for Hanley Ramirez
    Curt Schilling for Vicente Padilla
    Kevin Brown for Derrek Lee
    Roy Halladay for Kyle Drabek (and others)
    Randy Johnson for Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen & John Halama
    David Cone for Jeff Kent
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Im hopeful that Cashman will be very aggressive in acquiring starting pitching. The luxury tax was holding him back last year, but thats not an issue this year.

I would agree with you if Andujars defense wasn't extraordinarily bad. If it was just bad, NL teams would figure it would improve and doesn't matter given his bat; and then he would have a lot more value than Moncada had at the time of the Sale trade.

But IF it's a foregone certainty he cannot play 3B and will likely struggle even at 1B or LF, I think his trade value takes a big hit despite his great hitting season. Plus, there's already the risk that he doesn't improve his OBP. If he doesn't, his bat might not b good enough to justify his DH status (or shoddy defense)

Even if DeGrom was on a team willing to deal with the Yanks, I don't think Andujar and Sheffield would be enough

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Trades like this have occurred before.

Dan Haren for Carlos Gonzalez
    Rick Sutcliffe for Joe Carter & Mel Hall
    Josh Beckett (& Mike Lowell) for Hanley Ramirez
    Curt Schilling for Vicente Padilla
    Kevin Brown for Derrek Lee
    Roy Halladay for Kyle Drabek (and others)
    Randy Johnson for Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen & John Halama
    David Cone for Jeff Kent
    None of these are really similar to trading a ROY candidate to a guy with 2 yrs of control.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    I would agree with you if Andujars defense wasn't extraordinarily bad. If it was just bad, NL teams would figure it would improve and doesn't matter given his bat; and then he would have a lot more value than Moncada had at the time of the Sale trade.

But IF it's a foregone certainty he cannot play 3B and will likely struggle even at 1B or LF, I think his trade value takes a big hit despite his great hitting season. Plus, there's already the risk that he doesn't improve his OBP. If he doesn't, his bat might not b good enough to justify his DH status (or shoddy defense)

Even if DeGrom was on a team willing to deal with the Yanks, I don't think Andujar and Sheffield would be enough
    He's not the first infielder to struggle in his first year, as historically bad it is. Normally, the very easy decision would be to move him to the corner OF. His arm would play out there in either position. However, we can't do that as we have Giancarlo and Judge already manning those positions. Hiding an offensive monster is a lot easier issue to solve, than hiding a defensive player with no offense.
    Calmer than you are

There is only ONE possible way to acquire DeGrom.

Cashman has to approach a third team who promised to not divulge the plan. Work out a deal with that team contingent on them acquiring DeGrom, then they flip him to NYY.

Not only would we finally have an ace, but the added bonus of the Wilpons losing their freakin minds would be absolute hilarity.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

NYY to retain coaches: https://nypost.com/2018/10/12/yankee...oones-coaches/

(not sure if posted before / cheerio)

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    NYY to retain coaches: https://nypost.com/2018/10/12/yankee...oones-coaches/

(not sure if posted before / cheerio)
    Keeping Larry is an act of malfeasance. I'd say he gets fired by the ASG next year but the Yankees aren't a club who cuts coaches midseason
    #HarperWatch

I hear Hal and Cashman will be addressing the media today. Here’s what this fan wants to hear as opposed to the usual spin. I want to hear they are upset that under their watch Boston has become the dominant team in the AL East. I want to hear they are embarrassed that Boston celebrated on their field twice. And I want to hear Hal state that it’s unacceptable with their massive revenues he spent 60 million less than Boston this season and I want a commitment it won’t be the case next season.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I hear Hal and Cashman will be addressing the media today. Heres what this fan wants to hear as opposed to the usual spin. I want to hear they are upset that under their watch Boston has become the dominant team in the AL East. I want to hear they are embarrassed that Boston celebrated on their field twice. And I want to hear Hal state that its unacceptable with their massive revenues he spent 60 million less than Boston this season and I want a commitment it wont be the case next season.
    Who cares what they say? Actions speak louder than words. Actions state incompetence gets extensions.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information