+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Agree with the need for starting pitching, but I don't think the offensive needs are just about HRs. Situation hitting can stand some improvement and so can this penchant for piling up the strikeouts.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Maybe this will be the offseason that Ellsbury can be traded in a deal for Greinke.

Stanton will likely only waive his no trade clause to go to the Dodgers so perhaps a straight up sway for Bellinger could work.

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Maybe this will be the offseason that Ellsbury can be traded in a deal for Greinke.

Stanton will likely only waive his no trade clause to go to the Dodgers so perhaps a straight up sway for Bellinger could work.
    Just trade him for a few prospects - nothing A Level if they would pick up the bulk of contract. Paying a 30 mil portion like Miami is currently doing makes Stanton an affordable addition for LA.

Take those prospects to flip or replenish for those we deal for pitching.

Stanton is not a good fit for this team. He just is not.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jesterno2 View Post
    Nah, we have somewhere in the ballpark $60M coming off the payroll. Say my (admittedly unrealistic) plan plays out and we add/extend/bring back the following:

MadBum (a steal!) - $8M
    Harper - $30M
    Machado - $35M
    Corbin - $18M
    Keuchel - $10M
    Votto - $25M (offset by dumping Ellsbury?)
    Belt - $14M (part of the MadBum deal)
    Didi - $12 AAV
    Hicks $8 AAV
    Britton at $14M (maybe high)
    Robertson at $8M (probably high)

We'd be sitting around $250M for next year's payroll. Dump Stanton and you cut into that pretty significantly and maybe have some other chips to work into these trades I laid out to keep some cost-controlled pieces.

The beauty of having a stud young core is that a lot of these guys are on team-friendly contracts for the better part of the next decade, and even in arbitration we'll have them at favorable values that allow us to roll with a few big contracts. On top of that, it's not like we're talking about signing a bunch of 30-year-olds. Most of these guys are on the right side of 30 and just entering their prime, and even at 8-10 year long contracts will still be in their prime producing seasons. Yes, it would be expensive but it's not like the Yankees aren't flush with revenue from a new stadium, one of the best TV networks in the industry, and the potential merch sales with the new names. Forbes has the estimated revenue of the Yanks at ~$500M per year. This is already the most marketable team in sports and you'd be dumping a whole heaping barrel of gasoline on that already existing bonfire.

Your numbers are low.

If Lynn got a 412 million deal, Keuchel will at least beat that. Pencil him in for $13-415 million, although he will probably not get a long term deal.

Robertson will get an offer of at least 2 years, and at least $12 million per. Maybe more. The late-inning guys were the ones who got paid last off-season, and it will continue this year.

Same logic with Britton. Someone ill give him a deal below Chapman in years and AAV, but he is getting at least 13 - 15 million per, if not more. Probably a 3 year deal.

Harper will get a similar deal to Machado. The loser to one will get raise the bid on the other. I agree with the $35 million AAV on Machado, and Harper will get the same.

If Hicks and Didi sign any kind of long-term deal, they will get more than your averages. In Did's case, a lot more. Probably a 4-5 year deal in the 17-18 million AAV range.

I stand by my previous post. Your scenario, which has a lot of good with it, will result in a $275-$300 million payroll. To me, that's a no-go with Hal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jesterno2 View Post
    Nah, we have somewhere in the ballpark $60M coming off the payroll. Say my (admittedly unrealistic) plan plays out and we add/extend/bring back the following:

MadBum (a steal!) - $8M
    Harper - $30M
    Machado - $35M
    Corbin - $18M
    Keuchel - $10M
    Votto - $25M (offset by dumping Ellsbury?)
    Belt - $14M (part of the MadBum deal)
    Didi - $12 AAV
    Hicks $8 AAV
    Britton at $14M (maybe high)
    Robertson at $8M (probably high)

We'd be sitting around $250M for next year's payroll. Dump Stanton and you cut into that pretty significantly and maybe have some other chips to work into these trades I laid out to keep some cost-controlled pieces.

The beauty of having a stud young core is that a lot of these guys are on team-friendly contracts for the better part of the next decade, and even in arbitration we'll have them at favorable values that allow us to roll with a few big contracts. On top of that, it's not like we're talking about signing a bunch of 30-year-olds. Most of these guys are on the right side of 30 and just entering their prime, and even at 8-10 year long contracts will still be in their prime producing seasons. Yes, it would be expensive but it's not like the Yankees aren't flush with revenue from a new stadium, one of the best TV networks in the industry, and the potential merch sales with the new names. Forbes has the estimated revenue of the Yanks at ~$500M per year. This is already the most marketable team in sports and you'd be dumping a whole heaping barrel of gasoline on that already existing bonfire.

One more thing. The young guys are going to get very expensive real soon. Judge will destroy the Yankees in arbitration. He will get, if he stays healthy and productive, salaries of $10 million, then $17 million, then $22 million, in his 3 arbitration years.

And I may be low on those numbers. And, if the Yankees buy out his arbitration years with a long-tern deal, it will probably be a 5-7 year contract with a $22-25 million AAV.

He will get paid. The Neil Walker types will struggle to get their money, but not the Aaron Judge types (of which there are very few).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Offensively a guy like Daniel Murphy could be a perfect addition. He's a lefty that crushes RHP and is excellent with runners on and in scoring position. He also doesn't strike out much either and would have a decent amount of power in YS. He's a tougher fit defensively though for that reason and cost I could see re-signing Walker instead (also good with runners in scoring position), but for a lineup play and as a guy with a bit of versatility I think we should at least kick the tires on what he'd cost.
    I could see this one happening. To me, this means he is the 1B. Bird and Volt are either traded or sent to AAA (both have options for 2019, at least). Murphy at any other position is a major defensive liability.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If you don’t have a catcher, you’re going to have a lot of passed balls.
    That's right. I learned that from Casey Stengel.. Also, Bob Uecker taught me the correct way to catch a knuckle-ball: Let it go, and pick it up after it stops rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuaeagan View Post
    Hicks CF
    Judge RF
    Harper LF
    Sanchez C
    Didi SS
    Andujar DH
    Donaldson 3B
    Voit 1B
    Torres 2B
    Like signing Harper to be the FT LF √
    Infield defense upgraded significantly with Donaldson √
    Voit at 1B instead of Bird √
    Love Andujar as FT DH √
    Stanton gone = addition via subtraction. √

Just need to seriously upgrade with quality SP.

Berrios anyone? Yankees 2 starting pitchers. Berrios and Corbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    LAD 8 - ATL 2
    MIL 4 - COL 0
    HOU 8 - CLE 2
    BOS 4 - NYY 4

Overall hitting more HRs seems like a good indicator of playoff success.
    Of course. If you hit them. We just witnessed a team break the record for HRs in a season so I think you could say they're as good a HR hitting team as there has been in baseball yet we lost a 5 game series in 4 games because we couldn't get the big hit when we needed it.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post

A fair trade for Ellsbury would be Pablo Sandoval. Although Sandoval actually played this season.

Bellinger at 23 making league minimum for Stanton? The Dodgers are in the middle of their most successful streak in years. Maybe Stanton would put them over the top?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    Stanton would be a much better fielder at LF than Andujar. No reason to move Andujar to LF. Just DH him.
    Seems obvious to everyone but the people making decisions in this organization. They seem hell bent on making Stanton a DH.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think he has a better shot at lf than at 1b. My reasoning might be stretched, but here it is: 1b actually uses a lot of the same skills as 3b, though it needs most of them less. It takes good, soft hands and good judgment, neither of which he has. It takes good, quick, two-step range, combined with dives or leaps. He has none of that. He’ll have to be the cutoff man sometimes, requiring good judgment and accurate throws. Basically, he’s already demonstrated that he’s bad at all the things a first baseman has to do.

LF requires an almost entirely different set of skills. Maybe he’ll never be able to track fly balls well, or play caroms, or cover ground in that different way an outfielder does, or whatever. But at least he hasn’t shown that he can’t do them, or that he’s not likely to improve at them.
    I'd go RF, less space to cover. However, it seems like we are trying to fit a square peg in round hole. Just trade him. Get Pearce to DH.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Berrios anyone? Yankees 2 starting pitchers. Berrios and Corbin.
    Why Corbin?? He isn't that good.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    I'm not saying more home runs is bad, but adding home runs instead of quality, front-of-the-rotation pitching would be asinine. We need to add 2 REALLY good starters. As it stands, we don't have a single starter on our staff who is reliable, game in, game out for the entire season and post-season.

What's the infatuation with Corbin? His career ERA is nearly 4.00.
    Completely agree that improving the rotation should be the top priority. In fact that should have been the priority last offseason. With that said, there is no reason why they can't improve in multiple areas now that the luxury tax has been reset.

Regarding Corbin, it was rumored that Cashman expressed interest in him last offseason so I'm assuming the analytics department saw something indicating that he was due for a breakout year like he had last year. In other words, it may have been more than just a career year for Corbin. It's possible he simply took the next step. I get the concern though. Personally I'd like to see us go for more of a sure thing/top of the rotation starter.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Completely agree that improving the rotation should be the top priority. In fact that should have been the priority last offseason. With that said, there is no reason why they can't improve in multiple areas now that the luxury tax has been reset.

Regarding Corbin, it was rumored that Cashman expressed interest in him last offseason so I'm assuming the analytics department saw something indicating that he was due for a breakout year like he had last year. In other words, it may have been more than just a career year for Corbin. It's possible he simply took the next step. I get the concern though. Personally I'd like to see us go for more of a sure thing/top of the rotation starter.
    I don't disagree. My main concern with upgrading the lineup and pitching is that any upgrades to one necessarily takes away resources that could be used for the other. Cash should make getting 2 quality starting pitchers priority #1, using any and all resources to do so. Only once that is settled, look at the lineup. Upgrading the the lineup would be nice, but won't likely make much of a difference in our championship aspirations. Scoring runs isn't what's holding us back.

re: pitching, I don't follow things closely enough and am not even sure who is available that would be considered a lock down #1 starter. Anyone? If we can't get that kind of pitcher, I'd hate to see us trade away resources for another middling #3 type.

NYYF Cy Young

Last year my top priority was ONE Starting Pitcher.

This year:

1. Replace the entire coaching staff. Even if we sestock I don't think we will win next year. (Look at HOU, OAk and Tampa)

2. Get Eovaldi - he is better than Happ and Dave got him for 2M. (get rid of Lynn, resign DR, let Britton see if we can sign him for 5M)

3. No more big contracts over 20M for 5yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Last year my top priority was ONE Starting Pitcher.

This year:

1. Replace the entire coaching staff. Even if we sestock I don't think we will win next year. (Look at HOU, OAk and Tampa)

2. Get Eovaldi - he is better than Happ and Dave got him for 2M. (get rid of Lynn, resign DR, let Britton see if we can sign him for 5M)

3. No more big contracts over 20M for 5yrs.
    1. Not going to happen. Boone, at the very least, will get another year.

2. Hard pass on the guy with two TJS. Against teams not named the New York Yankees, he had a 4.41 ERA (if my math is correct).

3. Doubtful you're getting anyone of impact without a contract meeting/above those standards (Harper, Machado, Corbin, etc).

Boone's not getting fired
    Stanton's not getting traded

These are pure fantasy
    #HarperWatch

Sign Michael Brantley and Daniel Murphy, two .300 hitters that would diversify the lineup.

NYYF Legend

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...ayroll-to-use/

So they think it's $163 million as is. However, that includes Gardner's 10.5m and Gray's 9.1m. I don't see either of those on the ledger for next season. That could essentially be the Corbin contract.

I'd say then we are closer to $143m (206.0 M luxury tax threshold).
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

This is the off-season we've been waiting for since the Great Trade Deadline of 2016. This year and last really weren't supposed to be as good as they were (although Stanton shifted the paradigm a bit). This winter is a catalyst

Been thinking on it more, and a Harper signing allows Frazier to be packaged away in a trade. Keep Cutch or BG11 as the 4th OF. Trade Red Thunder, Bird (?), and Gray for a SP, sign some insurance for Voit (keep Walker?)
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Cashman really doesn't get enough crap for Ellsbury. Everyone makes a bad signing. It happens. However, where Cashman differs is his extreme stubbornness. He should have moved him 2-3 years ago, and included whatever was needed to save some or any money. Now it's become an unmovable albatross.

I remember I was pleading for this around the time we signed Chapman. It was so much more important to get rid of that contract than it was to add Chapman. Should have put that money to better use, assuming we needed to make that choice.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...ayroll-to-use/

So they think it's $163 million as is. However, that includes Gardner's 10.5m and Gray's 9.1m. I don't see either of those on the ledger for next season. That could essentially be the Corbin contract.

I'd say then we are closer to $143m (206.0 M luxury tax threshold).

The only thing I don’t agree with is picking up Gardner’s option. I could also see them just cutttng bait with Gray.

Harper and Corbin should be must be adds. They’ll need a 4th starter. Bring the relievers back.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by s3antana5757 View Post
    The only thing I don’t agree with is picking up Gardner’s option. I could also see them just cutttng bait with Gray.

Harper and Corbin should be must be adds. They’ll need a 4th starter. Bring the relievers back.
    They aren't cutting bait with Gray. Someone will want him. He's still an asset due to his track record. They'll trade him and his whole contract somewhere.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information