+ Reply to Thread
Page 374 of 519 FirstFirst ... 274 324 364 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 384 424 474 ... LastLast
Results 9,326 to 9,350 of 12954

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Exactly my point from yesterday. That range is not even a serious offer. No reason to bring him into Yankee Stadium you talk even. What was the approach? "Hi Patrick. We really want you to come here and be pur #2 starter, but we want you to considee doing it for way less than we pay our #4. Because your brother made a speech at a wedding, right?"

Ridiculous. They only care about staying under the tax
    Wanting a starter, 2 relievers, and needing to worry about SS they cant even do that with what they have left.

Supposedly the Phillies offered around what the Yankees were going to. Maybe they thought the Phillies were his highest bidder?

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    His spin rate triples and his fastball averages 101 the moment he gets off the plane down there..
    In all seriousness, the only way I would consider Lynn would be as the long man in the pen and/or the number 6 starter on a one year deal, and ONLY if dude hits the treadmill and drops 30 pounds. Go look at videos of him as a Cardinal. He wasn't a slob 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    2 players have signed.
    Again, SS, lefty bat, bullpen and LF are still holes with none of then filled. Unless you think Gardner will start in left.

Quote Originally Posted by in2dust2002 View Post
    Not crazy about the years. His arm is a ticking time bomb. 4 years is excessive for someone who had 2 Tommy John surgeries.
    So you are an orthopedic surgeon who has examined his elbow and his medical history?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ronnie View Post
    Again, SS, lefty bat, bullpen and LF are still holes with none of then filled. Unless you think Gardner will start in left.
    Right... if we know that, they do too..

Stanton could be in LF btw

the thinking would be a lot different in here if we traded for Paxton AFTER Corbin signed with the Nats.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

I am thinking there will be a big trade to land someone like Kluber. I feel now more so that their interest in Corbin was more media contrived than actual genuine interest.

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    the thinking would be a lot different in here if we traded for Paxton AFTER Corbin signed with the Nats.
    Good point.. it's what have you done for me lately

what happens to the motto "You need to spend money to make money" is that George Steinbrenner motto instead his son Hal become Joke of an owner. Do you guys think Redsox care going over the luxury tax threshold? they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    I am thinking there will be a big trade to land someone like Kluber. I feel now more so that their interest in Corbin was more media contrived than actual genuine interest.
    I don't think interest in Corbin was "contrived." We just failed to peg his market value.

What worries me is that Boston retained its two most valuable free agents, and now it changes its focus to the bullpen at the winter meetings. Their lineup, bench, and rotation are set, and they have money to spend.

Their signing Robertson and Britton would be a killer, while we fiddle in the dark as the Stadium burns.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    Why invite the guy to the Bronx if you don't have genuine interest?

I think they were genuinely interested... in underpaying him. What arrogance to think he'd take it.

NYYF Legend

So again I will ask, what is the Yankees priority this off season? Is Paxton the upgrade that management is happy with and the Yankees will part/piece the infield position until Didi gets well? And if what Levine said yesterday is the true belief within the organization, then no further deals need to happen as the Yankees/ sux are on equal footing.

I think they were genuinely interested... in underpaying him. What arrogance to think he'd take it.
    Who's saying they weren't interested? I'm sure they were, but it got to a point where the cost was ultimately too much. Blame the Nats

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    So again I will ask, what is the Yankees priority this off season? Is Paxton the upgrade that management is happy with and the Yankees will part/piece the infield position until Didi gets well? And if what Levine said yesterday is the true belief within the organization, then no further deals need to happen as the Yankees/ sux are on equal footing.
    If so, I think the Yanks are blinded by their regular season win total. The Sox are much more diverse and well rounded than we are. They can hit for average as well as power and can field just as well as they can pitch.

Yanks are much more boom or bust. Foolish thinking by Levine and company.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    This sounds very reasonable, but it's basically what they did with Cano and they lost that one too. I think the mount of total guaranteed money seems to be the only number that really matters, except in those specific cases where a player takes a one-year offer because they believe they will use that year to significantly increase their market value.
    Did they "lose" by not paying Cano $24M per for 10 years ?

Corbin wanred Darvish money ? How did that signing work out ???

Not to say I didn't want Corbin

Fact is if you're in the position of having to sign a top FA pitcher, you will have to overpay in years and $$$

If they continue their " we'll only pay what we consider fair value " this entire offseason, fans will rightfully trash Hal, given the money they bring in yearly

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Yankees priorities:
    1) Stay under the tax
    2) Sell a line of goods to the fans that it's not about that, they genuinely tried, but guys went elsewhere on foolish deals and that they happened to fall under the tax was just a fortunate coincidence. But don't worry... Mike Trout will be a free agent one day.

NYYF Legend

I still believe they will spend big this offseason. I'll need to see they aren't before I start bashing Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I still believe they will spend big this offseason. I'll need to see they aren't before I start bashing Hal.
    I'm going with bashing Hal until he proves otherwise.

As of today, Boston is about $45 million ahead of NYY in payroll. Just FYI.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    what happens to the motto "You need to spend money to make money" is that George Steinbrenner motto instead his son Hal become Joke of an owner. Do you guys think Redsox care going over the luxury tax threshold? they don't.
    Hal is making plenty of money and that's the problem. If he spends now he could actually make less money. If Hal believes attendance will only go up a little by adding Machado then it does not happen.

NYYF Legend

I'm going with bashing Hal until he proves otherwise.

As of today, Boston is about $45 million ahead of NYY in payroll. Just FYI.
    I actually think it's closer to $65M

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Hal is making plenty of money and that's the problem. If he spends now he could actually make less money.
    The value of his franchise increases a lot more when it becomes the class of baseball again. Not when it's just a playoff contender. They didn't become the world's most popular franchise by NOT winning 27 World Championships.

NYYF Legend

I feel like I am alone here, but I APPLAUD this organization for sticking to their "we want to be financially responsible" mission statement ( not CHEAP, but RESPONSIBLE) as the baseball world changes. They were criticized by most for overspending, and rightly so. It bit them in the ass for years, and now they have taken a stand that isn't popular with their fan base but nevertheless is a smart way to run a business.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I actually think it's closer to $65M
    Either way, it's absurd. $4 million is too much.

Because I am sure they would have gladly taken him if the price was right. He had already visited the Nationals and chances are they already knew he had a 6 year offer and at the point they were going to be out.