+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

May as well start this one now:

• Improve overall team OBP (Harper?)
    • Rebuild starting rotation (trade for Bumgarner, think big)
    • Shore up defense (trade Sanchez. Move Andujar to DH full-time, sign either Donaldson or Machado to play 3B)
    • Let Gardner and CC walk. Investigate Stanton trade to Dodgers.
    • Revamp coaching staff (would like to replace Boone too, but Cashman will never do it).
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Give me Harper or give me death!
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    May as well start this one now:

• Improve overall team OBP (Harper?)
    • Rebuild starting rotation (trade for Bumgarner, think big)
    • Shore up defense (trade Sanchez. Move Andujar to DH full-time, sign either Donaldson or Machado to play 3B)
    • Let Gardner and CC walk. Investigate Stanton trade to Dodgers.
    • Revamp coaching staff (would like to replace Boone too, but Cashman will never do it).
    Trade Sanchez? Who's your catcher. Come on. That's ridiculous

Figure out what the #$%^ is going on with Sevy. Is he really tipping pitches ? Find some batting coach who excels in teaching how to hit with RISP.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Yeah, what was I thinking. How can this team possibly survive without a .180 hitter who couldn't block a beachball in the dirt...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Yeah, what was I thinking. How can this team possibly survive without a .180 hitter who couldn't block a beachball in the dirt...
    I don't think he's a .180 hitter and I think with work he can improve defensively. I'm not trading him especially now when his value is at his lowest. I just don't see it.

The team needs to focus, on a whole, on hitting line drives and in general putting the ball in play. Consistent traffic is better than the solo shot, and sets up the big Inning
    #HarperWatch

I don't think he's a .180 hitter and I think with work he can improve defensively. I'm not trading him especially now when his value is at his lowest. I just don't see it.
    I can guarantee you that our organization doesn't see it either. Gary will get at least until the break next year to show that this year was the exception not the rule. He swung the bat much better in the post-season, that give me hope.

NYYF MVP

I am not saying we should trade Sanchez, but how can you say his defense will improve. He has been in the Yankees organization since he was 17 so he is what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    I am not saying we should trade Sanchez, but how can you say his defense will improve. He has been in the Yankees organization since he was 17 so he is what he is.
    Over that time he's improved defensively in so many ways as he came up through the minors as a guy unlikely to stay at the position. And where he's left really is with one glaring weakness and he's actually shown at times a decent ability to manage that weakness he's just been very inconsistent in doing that. So with better form and more consistency and dedication he can still realistically turn what is a major weakness into hopefully just a minor weakness. As long as Gary is our catcher we'll have to live with an above average amount of passed balls, I think everyone recognizes that. The things he does well defensively combined with his bat can easily offset the negative impact that this weakness has so long he can keep it under relative control and he hits.

If you don’t have a catcher, you’re going to have a lot of passed balls.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If you don’t have a catcher, you’re going to have a lot of passed balls.
    That's right. I learned that from Casey Stengel.. Also, Bob Uecker taught me the correct way to catch a knuckle-ball: Let it go, and pick it up after it stops rolling.

NYYF Triple Crown

Having reset the tax they can’t beat that drum anymore. Get Corbin and Machado.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    That's sorta where my head is at. But what do you do with andujar?

Dont hold your breath on Hal spending big. I am not convinced. All we hear him say is he doesnt believe a team needs a $200M payroll to win a title. That should tell you where his mindset is. I can see him wanting to stay under the tax threshold.

That's sorta where my head is at. But what do you do with andujar?
    Move him to left field.

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Absolutely. Hal's claim that hyper-salaried teams are unnecessary to winning championships is deeply flawed. It is flawed, in particular, for a team that plays every year to win the WS and that eschews the kind of second-division finishes that generate higher-end draft picks. The Yankees' best means of overcoming Seligian efforts to "level" the playing field is the strategic use of their wealth. They have certainly used it well to improve their minor-league setup (player development, etc.). Now they must go back into the FA market with a vengeance to correct imbalances in the team's current structure. For example, its lack of reliable pitching. And its lack of the kind of guys who can hit not merely for hr's but for high average and high obp. My God, look at the Red Sox duo of Betts and Martinez (and the latter is not a newcomer to high-average and good HR).

I have no quarrel with home run hitters (I'm a long-time Yankee fan!), but there seems to be some sort of mystique today about the HR that goes along with a strange notion that the strikeout ain't all that bad. The hell it isn't. Stanton's K last night advanced no runner. It didn't open the possibility that a ground ball might be screwed up by an infielder. There is a kind of stupidity--where stupidity is a character flaw, not a flaw in native wit--about the current indifference to K-rates. Do people really think that the K rates of a Musial or Williams or Dimaggio were somehow limitations in their approach to the game? Limitations that might have been overcome by an all-or-nothing-at-all approach that generated more HRs on their part while lowering their lifetime BAs by, say, 30 or 40 or even 60, points?

Well, we're stuck with the Fashionable K, probably for some time yet. In the meantime, then, they need to go seriously into the FA market. My preference would be for Machado as target #1, even if it means trading off Andujar (albeit for someone of comparable merit in the rotation or BP).

Starting pitching please. Kershaw if possible, but at least Corbin

Extensions for Hicks and Didi

Get some offensive depth for the rest days and injuries.

I still can’t decide if Machado is the right move, really on the fence there but leaning towards going pitching heavy instead and hoping the offensive talent we have comes through when it matters and complementing that with good role players and midseason acquisitions

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Starting pitching please. Kershaw if possible, but at least Corbin

Extensions for Hicks and Didi

Get some offensive depth for the rest days and injuries.

I still can’t decide if Machado is the right move, really on the fence there but leaning towards going pitching heavy instead and hoping the offensive talent we have comes through when it matters and complementing that with good role players and midseason acquisitions
    Hicks not getting an extension until they see what they have with Florial. imo

And I think Didi age is going to work against him getting an extension.

NYYF Triple Crown

Start a kickstarter for Stanton’s head psychologist/peak performance coach, or have the Yankees hire Tony Robbins and make that for the entire offense. It really is all in the head.

Not trading Andujar at his peak value will be a colossal mistake. The kid smacks the ball, but his undisciplined approach and horrendous defense won't change. Need to get what you can for him now.

The real shame is that you can't get anything of value for Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Start a kickstarter for Stanton’s head psychologist/peak performance coach, or have the Yankees hire Tony Robbins and make that for the entire offense. It really is all in the head.
    or Howard Spira him out of NY

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post

Hicks is a star now, Florial is still years away, and hasn't proven he can be a major league player yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    Hicks is a star now, Florial is still years away, and hasn't proven he can be a major league player yet.
    Neither Hicks nor Didi will be getting an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post

Possible but bad strategy. Hicks and Didi carry the defense and all things considered are the 2nd and 3rd best player on the team.

Thread Information