+ Reply to Thread
Page 158 of 189 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 168 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4701

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    I want Harper more than probably anyone here.. but if we get Kluber or Carrasco in a trade + sign Corbin or Happ, the Yankees are winning the division
    Let's see what Boston does before giving the division to the Yankees. People were saying the same thing last spring when Stanton was acquired and we know how that worked out.
    That said those upgrades are tough to match.

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    No contending team should pencil in an unproven rookie into their rotation from the start of the season, almost no exceptions. If Sheffield performs, he'll get his chances.
    Hmm. Fernando Valenzuela, Dwight Gooden, Justin Verlander, Michael Fulmer, etc. would certainly dispute that...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Hmm. Fernando Valenzuela, Dwight Gooden, Justin Verlander, Michael Fulmer, etc. would certainly dispute that...
    I don't think Fulmer's team was contending, but yes, you found three guys from the last four decades. Come on, man.

But yes, fairly safe to say that Sheffield won't have the immediate impact of Gooden or Fernando or Mark Fidrych. Also safe to say that that wasn't really worth saying.

NYYF Legend

Plenty of rookies have made a big impact in October over the last 20 years without starting in the Teams Opening rotation.

Heck you don't even need to look that far. Walker Bheuler didn't join the Dodger rotation until April 23rd this year and started some pretty important games for the Dodgers in October including a win or go home wild card game over Clayton Kershaw.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    I don't think Fulmer's team was contending, but yes, you found three guys from the last four decades. Come on, man.
    Dude, you kill me. You can never, ever admit you’re wrong. Those were just names I thought of from the top of my head because they weren’t just rookie starters, but elite ones. I’m sure I could find a lot more if I bothered to do the research...

Fact is, you don’t discriminate against a rookie simply because he’s a rookie. Talent should be the priority - not seniority.

Dude, you kill me. You can never, ever admit you’re wrong. Those were just names I thought of from the top of my head because they weren’t just rookie starters, but elite ones. I’m sure I could find a lot more if I bothered to do the research...

Fact is, you don’t discriminate against a rookie simply because he’s a rookie. Talent should be the priority - not seniority.
    I mean, I wasn't wrong, I wrote ALMOST NO EXCEPTIONS in the initial post.

Fact is, you don't pencil in a rookie with zero starting experience into the rotation in this era of baseball if you're going for a title. Walker Buehler is awesome and got his first start this past season on April 23, 137 innings for the year. And he was a year older than Sheffield will be next season.

So, while Hal is obsessed with remaining below the luxury tax threshold again, the Sox will likely be adding to their $238 millon payroll. Pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Unless Hal and Cashman are playing possum, expect another year of looking at Bostonís backside in 2019:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/08/the-br...ll-begin-fast/

And the payroll ó a team record of about $238 million in 2018 ó is likely to stay about the same and perhaps even go up, Dombrowski said.

Suspended

If it happens, the media really needs to start calling the Yankees out on it, and fans need to stop buying tickets.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Iím not convinced that the bolded part is true at all. Cashman has had a man-crush on Corbin for years now and I fully expect that he will massively overpay to get his man.

Of course, that likely means that no other substantial salaries will be added to payroll unless Cashman can miraculously convince someone to take Ellsbury off his hands without eating at least 90% of his salary.

Ultimately, Iíll be shocked if Hal signs off on surpassing the luxury tax threshold.
    I sometimes wonder how much of an obstacle that should be. They've been paying his salary for so much time that he hasn't played, what's the difference if they eat 90% or whatever as long as it enables them to move on and free up his roster spot for a live body?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I sometimes wonder how much of an obstacle that should be. They've been paying his salary for so much time that he hasn't played, what's the difference if they eat 90% or whatever as long as it enables them to move on and free up his roster spot for a live body?
    The roster spot isn’t the issue. It’s more about freeing up sufficient payroll in order to add talent, since Hal seems to be adamant about remaining below $206 million.

Eating 90% of Ellsbury’s salary would only free up roughly $2.2 million a year.
    I’m not sure that it’s realistic to expect any team to take on Ellsbury if they have to pay him more than $2-3 million a year at this stage unless Cash can get creative and include a valuable prospect in exchange for more salary.

So, while Hal is obsessed with remaining below the luxury tax threshold again, the Sox will likely be adding to their $238 millon payroll. Pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Unless Hal and Cashman are playing possum, expect another year of looking at Bostonís backside in 2019:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/08/the-br...ll-begin-fast/
    John Henry has feasted on World Championships and apparently likes the taste.

NYYF Legend

Ellsbury is owed $47.286 M by the Yankees still.
    He's not getting traded anywhere. He may get released but a trade is not happening. I mean unless you are taking the same bad salary back for an equally useless player.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Dude, you kill me. You can never, ever admit youíre wrong. Those were just names I thought of from the top of my head because they werenít just rookie starters, but elite ones. Iím sure I could find a lot more if I bothered to do the research...

Fact is, you donít discriminate against a rookie simply because heís a rookie. Talent should be the priority - not seniority.
    It's about October. If Sheffield is one of their top 4 starters come October, he's getting meaningful playoff stats.
    Baseball is life;

BOTH Gardner (declining) and Voit (unknown) can't be in the everyday lineup, Either get a LF (Harper, Brantley, Gonzalez) or someone you know can give you production at 1B, especially with Didi out.

I'd rather bank on Voit at 1B than Gardner in LF.
    What about Ellsbury?

I want Harper more than probably anyone here.. but if we get Kluber or Carrasco in a trade + sign Corbin or Happ, the Yankees are winning the division
    You don't want Manny?

Quote Originally Posted by jesterno2 View Post
    Wow, depending on what "and then some" means, that could actually be really interesting. Obviously, this guy hasn't ever lived up to his #1 prospect hype, but looking at his numbers he could be a solid fit as Didi stop-gap and versatile IF utility guy after Didi returns. I'd be stoked if Cash can pull off that deal using Gray and one of our plethora of mid-level pitching prospects.
    The Yanks have been linked to Profar in the past. I think he's a big talent who got rushed to the majors WAY too soon, then got hurt. He was solid in 2018 and there's good reason to think it was for real. I'd LOVE to see a Gray-Profar deal.

NYYF Legend

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

The roster spot isnít the issue. Itís more about freeing up sufficient payroll in order to add talent, since Hal seems to be adamant about remaining below $206 million.

Eating 90% of Ellsburyís salary would only free up roughly $2.2 million a year.
    Iím not sure that itís realistic to expect any team to take on Ellsbury if they have to pay him more than $2-3 million a year at this stage unless Cash can get creative and include a valuable prospect in exchange for more salary.
    Good point. Appreciate the clarification. Yet, even if it was as little as $2-$3M per year, that could net them a useful player to replace the dead weight that currently occupies a spot for money they're already spending. Or, is that a worse deal than getting insurance coverage for part of the salary?
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    If it happens, the media really needs to start calling the Yankees out on it, and fans need to stop buying tickets.
    Neither will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    You don't want Manny?
    I'll be fine with him

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    While I agree that we need to make some bigger moves, do you really see the Sox winning 108 games again?
    Crystal Ball says they will
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    tell me, how many teams have gone back to back season winning over 105 games

spoiler alert: 0
    So because it's never been done it can't be done right? interesting
    [SIZE=3]"Scooter - RIP and thank you for being part of my childhood"[/SIZE]

The roster spot isnít the issue. Itís more about freeing up sufficient payroll in order to add talent, since Hal seems to be adamant about remaining below $206 million.

Eating 90% of Ellsburyís salary would only free up roughly $2.2 million a year.
    Iím not sure that itís realistic to expect any team to take on Ellsbury if they have to pay him more than $2-3 million a year at this stage unless Cash can get creative and include a valuable prospect in exchange for more salary.
    If Hal is really serious about staying under the cap, then he's not really serious about winning a championship.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Even if the Yankees LOATHE the luxury tax...

A 226M payroll (20 over) just throwing a number out there is a 4M tax... spread out of 15 teams or something. Losing record teams isnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If Hal is really serious about staying under the cap, then he's not really serious about winning a championship.
    Well, yes. Thatís pretty much the point.

As others have wisely observed, this winter we will find out once and for all whether Hal prioritizes championships over profit. His actions will speak far louder than anything he could possibly say.

Thread Information