+ Reply to Thread
Page 157 of 200 FirstFirst ... 57 107 147 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 167 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,925 of 4979
    Suspended

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Whatever we get for Gray, just make sure Cleveland likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Whatever we get for Gray, just make sure Cleveland likes it.
    Smart....

Red face Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    While I agree that we need to make some bigger moves, do you really see the Sox winning 108 games again?
    When did beantown yankee give you his crystal ball?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    And I'm not suggesting that no improvement is needed. All I said that we don't need to panic yet.

All the talk about getting the Harper's and Machado's of this FA class could be toned down a bit. Besides, I really don't see how adding a few more homeruns to this team is going to fix the problems of last season which can be best summarized as "NEED PITCHING".
    at the end of the day the team needs to find a way to improve incrementally no matter what the position is.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDS BAY View Post
    When did beantown yankee give you his crystal ball?
    tell me, how many teams have gone back to back season winning over 105 games

spoiler alert: 0

Suspended

Won't be surprising when Hal goes the cheap route. Everything Cash has stated publically and done seems to be heading in that direction:

Job 1 was to retain Brett Gardner and Sabathia, which the Yanks did on reduced rates from 2018. Now, they are determined to add two starters, with the players most associated with them being Patrick Corbin and J.A. Happ. But the sense coming out of the GM meetings is that the market for both is going to be robust and that Corbin, in particular, will have the type of bidding that could get his price to $100 million — and perhaps much more than that.

The Yankees could pivot elsewhere with a different free agent such as Nathan Eovaldi or Charlie Morton or a trade for someone such as the Indians’ Corey Kluber or Carlos Carrasco. However the Yankees proceed, the addition of two starters is likely to push them at least near the $206 million 2019 luxury-tax threshold. At that point, Steinbrenner will have to decide if this should be like, say, 2013, since the Red Sox have just won again.

The Yankees do want to obtain an infielder, preferably lefty or solid at shortstop to help endure the absence of Didi Gregorius, who will miss at least two months of 2019 after Tommy John surgery. They could, for example, do that with a one-year deal with a defensively sound free-agent shortstop such as Alcides Escobar, Freddy Galvis or Jordy Mercer, or perhaps a trade for someone like Toronto’s very available Aledmys Diaz.
    https://nypost.com/2018/11/08/the-mo...s-for-machado/

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    NY post speculating Sonny Gray and then some for Profar.
    Wow, depending on what "and then some" means, that could actually be really interesting. Obviously, this guy hasn't ever lived up to his #1 prospect hype, but looking at his numbers he could be a solid fit as Didi stop-gap and versatile IF utility guy after Didi returns. I'd be stoked if Cash can pull off that deal using Gray and one of our plethora of mid-level pitching prospects.

NYYF Triple Crown

Imagine Gray in Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Won't be surprising when Hal goes the cheap route. Everything Cash has stated publically and done seems to be heading in that direction:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/08/the-mo...s-for-machado/

If we don't get one of the top pitchers like Kluber, Paxton, or Carassco, I will consider this off-season a failure. We have needed starters for the last several years and finally there are several on the block and we don't get any of them? Ridiculous!

Red face Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

tell me, how many teams have gone back to back season winning over 105 games

spoiler alert: 0
    To quote you :

"Didn't realize history was something we could look forward to"

Is Brian Cashman really that good? The only player that helped them reach a world series as he was a gm. Arod had Boras go over his head to make the deal. 99 and 00 were gene Michael championships. Cashman is overrated

Quote Originally Posted by willwillx View Post
    Is Brian Cashman really that good? The only player that helped them reach a world series as he was a gm. Arod had Boras go over his head to make the deal. 99 and 00 were gene Michael championships. Cashman is overrated
    Well yeah you can go back all that time ago.. but the last 3.5 years.. everyone had the Yankees not even being competitive til 2019.. now look at the team they have. They've built something really really good, now its time to close on the investment and finish it off .

While I agree that we need to make some bigger moves, do you really see the Sox winning 108 games again?
    So, if they win 105 and if the Yanks win 97 instead of a 100....

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    So, if they win 105 and if the Yanks win 97 instead of a 100....
    Bingo.

Yankees first and foremost need to upgrade their pitching and thats what they intend to do. They are looking at the trade market more than FA market right now, Corbin and Happ are fall back options after Kluber and Carassco. The Yankees are also looking for a versatile player (a name that has been brought up is Marwin Gonzalez). After that they'll then decide on Harper/Machado depending where the market is. They wont give Harper anywhere near a Stanton deal in length for sure, but they could be interested in either one if they're willing to take 8 year deals at a higher AAV. (Machado is more likely for that they think). Thats what I was told today my by friend who talked to his contact.

Lets see how it plays out.

at the end of the day the team needs to find a way to improve incrementally no matter what the position is.
    Look, we have an excellent, young core.

As I've written before, starting pitching, starting pitching, starting pitching!!!

I want Harper more than probably anyone here.. but if we get Kluber or Carrasco in a trade + sign Corbin or Happ, the Yankees are winning the division

Carsten Charles has had a borderline HOF career. But given his age, weight, and bum knee, I would have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePepitonesHair View Post
    Carsten Charles has had a borderline HOF career. But given his age, weight, and bum knee, I would have moved on.
    As long as he is 6th man/long relief I'm fine with him being back. If he is given a spot in the main rotation I'll be very disappointed in that decision.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    As long as he is 6th man/long relief I'm fine with him being back. If he is given a spot in the main rotation I'll be very disappointed in that decision.
    To me, the decision to re-sign CC was further evidence that the Yankees have decided that Sheffield is not ready for prime time. I think he will be the fifth starter to begin the season, although he might get moved to the long man role into the season.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

↓ Sign this guy, Hal ↓ Zimmer's Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Yankees first and foremost need to upgrade their pitching and thats what they intend to do. They are looking at the trade market more than FA market right now, Corbin and Happ are fall back options after Kluber and Carassco. The Yankees are also looking for a versatile player (a name that has been brought up is Marwin Gonzalez). After that they'll then decide on Harper/Machado depending where the market is. They wont give Harper anywhere near a Stanton deal in length for sure, but they could be interested in either one if they're willing to take 8 year deals at a higher AAV. (Machado is more likely for that they think). Thats what I was told today my by friend who talked to his contact.

Lets see how it plays out.
    I’m not convinced that the bolded part is true at all. Cashman has had a man-crush on Corbin for years now and I fully expect that he will massively overpay to get his man.

Of course, that likely means that no other substantial salaries will be added to payroll unless Cashman can miraculously convince someone to take Ellsbury off his hands without eating at least 90% of his salary.

Ultimately, I’ll be shocked if Hal signs off on surpassing the luxury tax threshold.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I’m not convinced that the bolded part is true at all. Cashman has had a man-crush on Corbin for years now and I fully expect that he will massively overpay to get his man.

Of course, that likely means that no other substantial salaries will be added to payroll unless Cashman can miraculously convince someone to take Ellsbury off his hands without eating at least 90% of his salary.

Ultimately, I’ll be shocked if Hal signs off on surpassing the luxury tax threshold.
    all we can do is sit back and watch to see what happens. BUT... Yankees might literally HAVE to go over they might not have no choice. If they end up with Corbin/Happ and strike out on a trade thats an additional 34M added to whats around 160 right now (minus Gray), with relievers needed and an infielder. They literally might have no choice.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    Only 15 pitchers in the American league threw more innings with a lower ERA than CC last year.
    Granted you can't pencil him in for 200 IP any more but honestly how many starters can you?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    To me, the decision to re-sign CC was further evidence that the Yankees have decided that Sheffield is not ready for prime time. I think he will be the fifth starter to begin the season, although he might get moved to the long man role into the season.
    No contending team should pencil in an unproven rookie into their rotation from the start of the season, almost no exceptions. If Sheffield performs, he'll get his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Only 15 pitchers in the American league threw more innings with a lower ERA than CC last year.
    Granted you can't pencil him in for 200 IP any more but honestly how many starters can you?
    That is a great stat, he was ahead of Keuchel, Tanaka and Paxton.

And to answer the latter question, a whopping total of six guys in the whole AL hit 200 innings last year, and one of those was James "Big Fly" Shields.

Thread Information