+ Reply to Thread
Page 162 of 189 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4701

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Just wanted to point out that Andujar was the sticking point with Cole...
    Yeah, and at that time i was not ok with that. Andujar i knew was going to be pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    No, he wasn't. Multiple guys were made untouchable by Cashman that offseason (Sheffield, Florial, ect...)
    They wanted a starter (Sheffield) or 3B (andujar)

Its why they took the Astros offer. I'm friends with someone who covers the Pirates.

Most thought it was a meh offer but they went on need.

They would have also taken Montgomery but we refused... ugh

NYYF Triple Crown

No, he wasn't. Multiple guys were made untouchable by Cashman that offseason (Sheffield, Florial, ect...)
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/y...it-cole-trade/

Come Sunday night, Gerrit Cole will take the mound for the Houston Astros in Game 2 of the 2018 American League Championship Series.

It's been easy to forget given how Cole has reasserted himself as a top pitcher since joining the Astros, but last winter the New York Yankees were suspected to be the team most likely to acquire Cole from the Pittsburgh Pirates. Now we know why a deal never happened. According to Ken Davidoff of the New York Post, the Pirates wanted a package built around outfielder Clint Frazier and third baseman Miguel Andujar. Alas, the Yankees wouldn't budge on Andujar:

Ultimately, the Yankees grew comfortable with a package centered around Frazier, though Pittsburgh wanted Andujar and Frazier. A bidding war did not emerge, as both the Yankees and Astros positioned themselves as content to move on without Cole.

Holding onto Andujar led to his subsequent insertion into the Yankees lineup. He hit .297/.328/.527 with 27 home runs in 149 games -- a performance certain to earn him Rookie of the Year Award consideration. While there are concerns about his defense and his slim walk rate, his ability to barrel-up most any pitch suggests he should continue to be a productive hitter.

The Pirates would later trade Cole for an oft-criticized package that included pitchers Joe Musgrove and Michael Feliz, third baseman Colin Moran, and outfielder Jason Martin.

It's worth noting the Yankees originally drafted Cole and failed to woo him away from attending UCLA. Brian Cashman will have another opportunity soon to try landing Cole after the 2019 season, when he qualifies for free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

Marwin Gonzalez would be an excellent pickup for this team. I’m all for signing him

Suspended

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/y...it-cole-trade/

"Ultimately, the Yankees grew comfortable with a package centered around Frazier, though Pittsburgh wanted Andujar and Frazier. A bidding war did not emerge, as both the Yankees and Astros positioned themselves as content to move on without Cole."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2 View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-reportedly-refused-to-include-miguel-andujar-in-gerrit-cole-trade/

That doesn't actually prove anything. Wanted doesn't equal required. It doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken Frazier and Florial or Frazier and Sheffield. Florial and Sheffield were both made untouchable.

Before sending Cole to Houston, the Pirates had held extensive trade talks with the New York Yankees this winter. But sources familiar with the discussions told ESPN's Jerry Crasnick that New York held the line on including prospects Gleyber Torres, Justus Sheffield, Estevan Florial or Miguel Andujar in any trade, so the Pirates quickly had to shift their attention to other potential targets. One source said New York expressed a willingness to include outfielder Clint Frazier or pitcher Chance Adams in a package deal for Cole, but not both.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...houston-astros

There’s nothing I hate more than fake Ken Rosenthal pages. I saw a tweet that said Corbin signed a 3 year $30 million deal with the Cubs

NYYF Legend

As for the whole leverage standpoint of why the Yankees are stating a budget. What leverage does stating you need SP and are focused on SP give you in acquiring SP? Teams will know you are desperate. Or what leverage does stating I'm going to trade Sonny Gray, give you in Sonny Gray negotiations?

I get holding out hope that it's all a clever ruse, but the most likely scenario is the one being openly stated. There's a budget, and the big guys aren't going to fit unless Hal makes a special exception.

The focus is going to be on SP. That'll get them pretty close/over the cap. If Machado takes a low offer, then maybe they'll exceed. Otherwise, I imagine they'll just grab a defensive cheap type SS until Didi gets back, and hope Andj somehow becomes an average defender. Grab some relief pitchers. Job well done.
    Would bet this is exactly how it goes down after reading that Passan quote.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Suspended

Bauer is a complete and total nutjob, but that would be an insane get. More 1-1 if you are talking about contract status with Andj. However, IMO Kluber is probably more likely the guy they need to move if they have salary cap concerns.

The Indians are also open for business if teams want to discuss Carlos Carrasco, who's playing under a contract structured similarly to that of Kluber, or Trevor Bauer, who is eligible for arbitration after the best season of his career. They'll listen to offers for catchers Yan Gomes and Roberto Perez.
    The Yankees: GM Brian Cashman is looking for two starting pitchers at a time when the top of the club's farm system is said by other teams to be thin. He could sign a couple of free agents, picking from a group that includes Patrick Corbin, Nathan Eovaldi and J.A. Happ, but he could also consider Kluber, whose contract could provide flexibility for the Yankees to do other things.

Put it this way: Would it be better for the Yankees to sign a Corbin or an Eovaldi to a four- or five-year deal, or to give up prospects to land a star with a series of one-year deals?

http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/...-teams-the-mix

NYYF Legend

That doesn't actually prove anything. Wanted doesn't equal required. It doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken Frazier and Florial or Frazier and Sheffield. Florial and Sheffield were both made untouchable.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...houston-astros
    I'm not going to argue semantics of what "wanted" means. Multiple reports and sources indicated that Andujar was the sticking point.

Suspended

I'm not going to argue semantics of what "wanted" means. Multiple reports and sources indicated that Andujar was the sticking point.
    OK. I just figured I'd offer some logic, and another report stating Adams was the sticking point, but to each their own. Believe the narrative you want to believe.

NYYF Triple Crown

To be fair, one article was posted last month. The one you shared was all the way in January. More information could have been shared between then.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

I know some people are disappointed with the season Stanton had (though I mean it was still pretty damn good) a lot had to do with JD Martinez I'm sure but the Yankees didn't make a mistake with Stanton. He fell into their laps basically and he's going to cost 100M (or more) less than Harper. As much as I want Harper, he's not worth 100M more than Stanton not even close.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

This can't get stated enough. This isn't Andujar learning a position. He's been playing it for 7yrs. He's atrocious. He would have been moved to the OF if we didn't have immense OF depth when he was coming up.
    I'm aware of this. That doesn't absolve guys like Gary Denbo who should've been barking loud enough that Andujar needed to be getting reps in the OF. After all, somebody always needs a good OF prospect (to free up space).
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Bauer is a complete and total nutjob, but that would be an insane get. More 1-1 if you are talking about contract status with Andj. However, IMO Kluber is probably more likely the guy they need to move if they have salary cap concerns.

http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/...-teams-the-mix
    Yeah I dont see how they trade Bauer over the other 2, he's further from FA and 5 years younger.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by TheGameEpisode2 View Post
    To be fair, one article was posted last month. The one you shared was all the way in January. More information could have been shared between then.
    And I'm sure that's the narrative Cashman is helping craft. "Hey look, I didn't get Cole because look I wouldn't have Andujar."

However, when you look at it logically. You know those 4 guys (Gley, Andj, Florial, Sheff) were off the table. Frazier and Sheff/Florial would have been a MASSIVE get for the Pirates. Let's go one step further, and say Cashman offered Clint, Sheff, AND Florial. Pirates still say no there? We need Andj or we are stepping away? Highly doubtful.

Again, the Pirates wanting Andujar doesn't mean he was required. A deal could have gotten done without him. Come on now.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I'm aware of this. That doesn't absolve guys like Gary Denbo who should've been barking loud enough that Andujar needed to be getting reps in the OF. After all, somebody always needs a good OF prospect (to free up space).
    Then Andujar is bait, and probably doesn't get the opportunity to blow up value wise as he did at 3B.

speaking of blowing up value, What should the Yankees do with Hicks? Should they extend him to something near what a guy like Cain got? Cain has been better longer, but if Hicks puts together yet another good year in New York his value on the FA market goes up more and more.

NYYF Legend

And I'm sure that's the narrative Cashman is helping craft. "Hey look, I didn't get Cole because look I wouldn't have Andujar."

However, when you look at it logically. You know those 4 guys (Gley, Andj, Florial, Sheff) were off the table. Frazier and Sheff/Florial would have been a MASSIVE get for the Pirates. Let's go one step further, and say Cashman offered Clint, Sheff, AND Florial. Pirates still say no there? We need Andj or we are stepping away? Highly doubtful.

Again, the Pirates wanting Andujar doesn't mean he was required. A deal could have gotten done without him. Come on now.
    Clint, Sheff, AND Florial were never on the table, and you would be first in line to crucify Cashman if it was on the table, let alone that accepted offer.

Suspended

Clint, Sheff, AND Florial were never on the table, and you would be first in line to crucify Cashman if it was on the table, let alone that accepted offer.

Thats what I'd offer for Kluber.. plus even more I'd give up.. problem is with Indians not rebuilding not sure they would take that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Thats what I'd offer for Kluber.. plus even more I'd give up.. problem is with Indians not rebuilding not sure they would take that.
    i would do it in a heartbeat as well, but Kluber is significantly better and more proven than Cole.

Kluber/Carrasco, Corbin, Andrew Miller and Marwin Gonzalez. make it happen

i would do it in a heartbeat as well, but Kluber is significantly better and more proven than Cole.
    most definitely, unless they can pull of a 3 team trade with someone.

perhaps they would take something like that for Carrasco tho.

Not OK.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    That is a great stat, he was ahead of Keuchel, Tanaka and Paxton.

And to answer the latter question, a whopping total of six guys in the whole AL hit 200 innings last year, and one of those was James "Big Fly" Shields.
    Was listening to MLB radio this morning while running errands - the announcers had Shields contract value at around one year, $6.5M. The era of the 200 IP pitcher is gone.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information