+ Reply to Thread
Page 1218 of 1218 FirstFirst ... 218 718 1118 1168 1208 1215 1216 1217 1218
Results 30,426 to 30,435 of 30435
    NYYF Legend

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Not true. Harper’s AAV is actually a very reasonable $25.38 million.
    Stanton’s AAV is $25 million.
    But when the Yankees got Stanton I am sure they thought the AAV for Harper was going to be a lot higher than it turned out.

Not true. Harper’s AAV is actually a very reasonable $25.38 million.
    Stanton’s AAV is $25 million.

Miami is paying $3 million of Stanton's annual salary so the AAV for the Yankees is $22 million.

The Death Star is Sputtering

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    But when the Yankees got Stanton I am sure they thought the AAV for Harper was going to be a lot higher than it turned out.
    Regardless, Harper is not earning $8 million a year more than Stanton as the OP insisted.
    Fact is, Harper’s AAV is only $3 million more than Ellsbury’s. Hal and Cashman screwed up big-time and we’re going to feel the impact of this blunder for years to come.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Regardless, Harper is not earning $8 million a year more than Stanton as the OP insisted.
    Fact is, Harper’s AAV is only $3 million more than Ellsbury’s. Hal and Cashman screwed up big-time and we’re going to feel the impact of this blunder for years to come.
    That remains to be seen.
    Cashman: Death Star Fully Operational

NYYF Legend

Brett Gardner will be the starting LF when Hicks comes back. Let that sink in for a moment.
    Yes. I complained at the signing, and knew at those $$ he would be the starting LF'er. Many here kept saying no, great as 4th OF'er. (I agree with that sentiment) I KNEW they were not going to upgrade LF, and with the low payroll number, that is a sin.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

With the emergence of both Bird & Voit as options @ DH, I have no problem seeing Stanton in LF more than half the time even after Hicks get back. Gardner can still play 2-3 times a week as a backup for Stanton and Hicks.

Wade & Frazier are always just a shuttle call away, & both Bird & Voit have options.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

The Death Star is Sputtering

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    With the emergence of both Bird & Voit as options @ DH....
    It’s going to take a lot more than a hot streak during meaningless exhibition games before Bird can be considered a viable option anywhere in this lineup.

Fact is, he has been consistently bad in games that count since 2015. Until he can prove otherwise, he has done nothing to warrant being mentioned in the same sentence as Voit.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Yes. If we knew a year ago what Harper was actually going to get we should have passed on Stanton.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Yes. If we knew a year ago what Harper was actually going to get we should have passed on Stanton.
    I'd rather they trade spare parts for Stanton at $22M/yr than pass because they hope to sign Harper 1 year later at $25M/yr (not to mention at the time it seemed likely Harper would get more than that).

They're comparable players on comparable contracts, but they locked in Stanton's 2018 (and beyond) as opposed to the uncertainty of maybe signing a free agent as well as having neither player helping you in 2018.

They also got off of Castro's contract in that deal, which allowed them to play Torres right away.

NYYF Legend

It’s going to take a lot more than a hot streak during meaningless exhibition games before Bird can be considered a viable option anywhere in this lineup.

Fact is, he has been consistently bad in games that count since 2015. Until he can prove otherwise, he has done nothing to warrant being mentioned in the same sentence as Voit.
    I guess I didn't explain the point I was trying to make. That Bird, Voit and Stanton in the lineup might be preferred over Gardner Voit & Stanton in the same lineup. At least half the time. When Hicks gets back it's time to re-assess.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Thread Information