+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 30 ... LastLast

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    If true, this will very likely go down as one of Cashman's biggest mistakes.

29-year old pitcher coming off a career year after a history of mediocrity and we're going to have to fork over at least 5 years/$100. What could possibly go wrong? Sweet Jesus....

Raise the goddamn bar already.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/11/yankee...site%20buttons

“I don’t think he is better than J.A. Happ,’’ an NL guy said. “He is a No. 3 on a good day. He would fall in behind Severino and Tanaka on that staff. He is obviously a legitimate starter, but not a top-of-the-rotation guy.’’

That doesn’t mean Corbin won’t get paid.

“He is an $18 [million]- to $21 million-a-year pitcher,’’ said a third evaluator who had a higher opinion of Corbin than his peers.

Is Corbin an ace?

“No, you want ace to send out against [Justin] Verlander and I don’t know about that,’’ the scout said. “He is not an ace, but he is a good pitcher. The few postseason games he has pitched in he has done well. I would think the Yankees would be very interested in him.’’

One character trait that might help Corbin if he signs with the Yankees is mental toughness, which is needed to survive in the Bronx.

“He is not afraid and not scared and has a little bit of a mean streak in him,’’ the scout said. “Look at the market for free-agent pitchers, he is good with that breaking ball and his fastball is good enough.’’

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    I think overall Cashman has done a pretty good job, and I think George hindered his ability to build a good farm system. But he hasn't developed any pitching in 20 years. The 09 title was largely due to Stick Michael (Jeter, Rivera, and Pettite) and ownership spending on the premier FAs (CC, Tex, Matsui, and AJ).

I think he's done really well overall the last 3-4 years. But the Boone hiring appears to be a mistake, and there is still no homegrown pitching.

I'm generally happy with him as a GM, but he is hardly blameless
    He hasn’t developed any pitching? Cashman hasn’t been the best at developing pitching, but it would be foolish to overlook the likes of Betances, Severino, Wang, Robertson, Montgomery, and Green. I admit though that it may be hard to find anyone outside of this group.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/11/yankee...site%20buttons

“I don’t think he is better than J.A. Happ,’’ an NL guy said. “He is a No. 3 on a good day. He would fall in behind Severino and Tanaka on that staff. He is obviously a legitimate starter, but not a top-of-the-rotation guy.’’

That doesn’t mean Corbin won’t get paid.

“He is an $18 [million]- to $21 million-a-year pitcher,’’ said a third evaluator who had a higher opinion of Corbin than his peers.

Is Corbin an ace?

“No, you want ace to send out against [Justin] Verlander and I don’t know about that,’’ the scout said. “He is not an ace, but he is a good pitcher. The few postseason games he has pitched in he has done well. I would think the Yankees would be very interested in him.’’

One character trait that might help Corbin if he signs with the Yankees is mental toughness, which is needed to survive in the Bronx.

“He is not afraid and not scared and has a little bit of a mean streak in him,’’ the scout said. “Look at the market for free-agent pitchers, he is good with that breaking ball and his fastball is good enough.’’
    There you go.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

There you go.
    A 29 y/o JA Happ?
    Sign me up.
    The question isn't whether, or not, Corbin is a #1. Everyone (besides Ms. Corbin)
    knows he's a #3. The question is whether, or not, Corbin would improve the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    A 29 y/o JA Happ?
    Sign me up.
    The question isn't whether, or not, Corbin is a #1. Everyone (besides Ms. Corbin)
    knows he's a #3. The question is whether, or not, Corbin would improve the rotation.
    No, the question is: do the Yankees need yet another #3 starter (they don't - especially for $20 million a year), or do they need a true #1 (they desperately do).

They can simply re-sign Happ for far less to be a #3 starter. Corbin would be a massive overpay considering his track record. Not sure how that remotely disputable....

NYYF Legend

Got to keep shooting for DeGrom. I would imagine a lot of the groundwork has already been laid down.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Got to keep shooting for DeGrom. I would imagine a lot of the groundwork has already been laid down.
    I don't see any scenario where the Mets would deal deGrom to the Yankees unless they are totally fleecing Cashman.

Wallace Matthews suggests an offer of Torres, Sheffield and Frazier may have sealed the deal, and that would have been a massive overpay for a 30-year old starter: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...010-story.html

I’m not comparing Corbin and DeGrom as pitchers, but many here seem to be leery of Corbin for coming off a career year. Couldn’t the same be said about DeGrom. I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a wiser choice to target Syndergaard.
    "Thurman (Munson) was indispensable and irreplaceable...." - Yankees Owner George Steinbrenner

NYYF Legend

I don't see any scenario where the Mets would deal deGrom to the Yankees unless they are totally fleecing Cashman.

Wallace Matthews suggests an offer of Torres, Sheffield and Frazier may have sealed the deal, and that would have been a massive overpay for a 30-year old starter: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...010-story.html
    Yeah. That's just nonsense though. He's not actually stating the reality of what Cashman offered or what the Mets refused. Obviously that offer seals the deal.

However, from multiple reports (Heyman, Sherman, ect..), Cashman refused to include EITHER Gleyber or Andj. I'd bite the bullet and cave on Andujar and get this thing done.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Yeah. That's just nonsense though. He's not actually stating the reality of what Cashman offered or what the Mets refused. Obviously that offer seals the deal.

However, from multiple reports (Heyman, Sherman, ect..), Cashman refused to include EITHER Gleyber or Andj. I'd bite the bullet and cave on Andujar and get this thing done.
    I don't think a package built around Andujar gets it done. He's not a major league defender at this point and they can't DH him in the NL. To me it would be Gleyber, Sheffield, another top 100 guy, and a low ball lotto ticket. Call it the Yankee premium....

Watch the Astros swoop in and get him. They have the prospects to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post
    I don't think a package built around Andujar gets it done. He's not a major league defender at this point and they can't DH him in the NL. To me it would be Gleyber, Sheffield, another top 100 guy, and a low ball lotto ticket. Call it the Yankee premium....

Anyone who knows me also knows that I've been one of Andujar's biggest fans/defenders.

Regardless of his defensive abilities (or lack thereof) he has an elite bat. You trade him to the Mets and he instantly becomes the best hitter in their lineup. Pretty sure the Mets will find a position for that type of bat (either at 1B or in the OF).

Problem is, I don't believe the Mets are interested in making a deal with the Yankees that helps both teams. The Mets would rather suck than make a deal with the Yankees that isn't a clear win for them. I'm convinced that they will only deal with the Yankees if it's a lopsided deal to their advantage.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Like signing Harper to be the FT LF √
    Infield defense upgraded significantly with Donaldson √
    Voit at 1B instead of Bird √
    Love Andujar as FT DH √
    Stanton gone = addition via subtraction. √

Just need to seriously upgrade with quality SP.

Donaldson is damaged goods

Will likely retire

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Greinke for Ellsbury and Gray

who says no?
    Need to throw in a bucket of balls to close that deal

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JLJ81 View Post

Name a ROY/runner-up who was traded that offseason? Never happens. That caliber of player isn't traded. Andujar himself would be a gross overpay even with his defensive issues. Mets could move to the OF rather easily.
    Calmer than you are

Name a ROY/runner-up who was traded that offseason? Never happens. That caliber of player isn't traded. Andujar himself would be a gross overpay even with his defensive issues. Mets could move to the OF rather easily.
    Despite the fact that Degrom has one less year of control than Sale did when he was traded, the Yankees will have to OVERPAY and probably give up a deal at least similar in value to pry him from the Mets. The Mets won't do a "fair" deal. They want an overpay or they won't deal with the Yankees. The Red Sox gave up the number one prospect in baseball, a top 30ish pitching prospect, another top 100 guy and a lower level lotto guy.

Tell me what prospects we have that come close to that? We have ONE top 50 guy with Sheffield. Frazier is damaged goods with his concussion problems. A trade for DeGrom is going to HURT bad. The White Sox wanted Bregman for Sale and Houston told them to go pound sand. So if you aren't willing to pony up then cross DeGrom off the list.

I would love to get DeGrom for a package around Andujar. I don't see it happening, and benching him in the elimination game in the ALDS didn't help his value either.

Www.pinstripealley.com

Yankees get: Goldschmidt, Greinke, Ray, and Peralta

D-Backs get: Andujar, Frazier, Sheffield, Gray, Bird, and Ellsbury

So crazy but can work if they land Machado.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

What does trading for a #3 starter in Corbin benefit us? We already have a pitching staff full of #3-type starters. We need FOTR guys.

No, the question is: do the Yankees need yet another #3 starter (they don't - especially for $20 million a year), or do they need a true #1 (they desperately do).

They can simply re-sign Happ for far less to be a #3 starter. Corbin would be a massive overpay considering his track record. Not sure how that remotely disputable....
    It's is indisputable. There is zero upside to signing Corbin. Which is probably why we'll do it. We'll add a #3 starter and Machado, hit tons of homers, and fail to make the WS again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    What does trading for a #3 starter in Corbin benefit us? We already have a pitching staff full of #3-type starters. We need FOTR guys.
    Corbin is a Free Agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    How many FOTR are available ? What team is going to give up a #1 ? Here's a list : https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ent-class.html
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    How many FOTR are available ? What team is going to give up a #1 ? Here's a list : https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...ent-class.html
    Exactly... Severino is our ace next year like it or not. Nobody on that list or available via trade has his upside.

can Yankees trade for Max Scherzer? with his contract will it happen? hopefully, Yankees need top of the rotation to go along with Tanaka and Sevy.

NYYF Legend

I don’t get the Corbin love/hate.

He’s a good pitcher and the Yanks currently have 2 guys penciled in next year. Of course the Yanks should have interest. The question becomes of years and dollars if he’s worth it.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    can Yankees trade for Max Scherzer? with his contract will it happen? hopefully, Yankees need top of the rotation to go along with Tanaka and Sevy.

Why would the Nationals do that? They control him for 3 more years and they could have somewhere in the neighborhood of 75 million dollars to spend on next years payroll. They also just traded for Barraclough from the Marlins. That shows they are going for it again next season.

Thread Information