+ Reply to Thread
Page 367 of 451 FirstFirst ... 267 317 357 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 377 417 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,175 of 11257

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    Line them up?

Sale ...... Sevy who you take it a you pick them contest?

Price ...... Tanaka

Evo ........ Paxton?

out of the matchup Sale wins easy Price beats Tanaka by a little and Paxton EVO are a wash.

Keep telling yourself our 3 are better lol.
    Tanaka>Price
    Paxton>Evo (selling Pax short here)

I'll give you Sale, but Sevy (when he's on like he was in the 1st half this past season) can come pretty damn close. Sale also tends to get worse as the season goes on, usually

You can gladly take Price, Evo and Sale...lol

Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Lol, you do that

Sale, Price, Evo= 2018 WS champions

...but I'm sure there's some advanced stat somewhere that says Paxson, Tanaka, Severino are more effective against LH hitters with a 1-1 count on Saturdays in July...and that's all that really matters in Cash's analysis.

Boston resigning Eovaldi is a big kick to the nads. Yanks made the trade to bring him over from Miami and he blew out his arm. I thought he showed a ton of promise here, and I know I'm in the minority. Then we lose him and he goes to Boston to be the key pitcher for them in a World Series run. Now he resigns with them and we will have our right handed bats squashed every time we face him.

Great move by Boston.

I hate it for the Yankees. Now they need Happ. (And probably a right hander IMO).

Where is our pitching?

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    He's a different pitcher than he was earlier in his career, so leveraging his track record is kind of a waste because he had a different pitch mix then.

If track record is all that mattered Keuchel would've been considered the top guy not Corbin.

I think people looking too closely at track records for guys like Eovaldi and Corbin are missing the full picture of what they're likely to be going forward, paying on past performance is silly. Both made significant changes to their repertoire leveraging their strengths (Corbin's slider, Eovaldi's cutter) to become better pitchers. Both especially Eovaldi will also be another year removed from TJS which is always a good thing.

The only thing from his track record that I feel is a significant risk is his injury history.
    Not unlike Paxton. No TJS but significant time lost due to injuries. 582 IP in last 6 years. But still we're counting on him in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Outoftowner View Post
    If that's what you need to tell yourself to feel better go for it.

If there's one thing that drives me nuts it's dishonest fans. Doesn't matter the team. I mean, I realize that throughout baseball history no pitcher that wasn't a stud by the time he was 22 ever became anything...right? Eovaldi may well revert to form...but there's also a fairly decent chance that in 3 years we'll be cursing Cash for not getting involved in trying to sign him. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't predict the future.

Eovaldi is 28 years old with ace type stuff. He's had injury issues. Sometimes guys need to make the transition from thrower to pitcher. Not everybody develops at the same rate.

Bob Gibson didn't become a full time starter until his 4th season in the majors. Same thing with Randy Johnson. Took 6 seasons for Schilling. 3 for Pedro.

I'm not sure why you think will is being dishonest here.. I happen to agree with him.

There is certainly a chance that it finally clicked for Eovaldi, and that his postseason heroics were a sign of things to come. But his track record of performance and injury makes it more likely that was just a decent pitcher who was healthy and at the top of his game at the right time, rather than a new normal baseline for him.

You name 4 pitchers, 3 of whom are hall of famers and one borderline hall of famer. And the 3 who are hall of famers constitute 3 of the best pitchers who have ever walked the earth. Those are not exactly baseline comps for a guy like Eovaldi..

I steadfastly believe at this moment that Eovaldi is one of the very overrated guys going right now thanks to a perfectly times month of heroics. Could I be wrong? Certainly, but even if those to think that like turn out to be wrong and Eovalid wins back to back cy young awards, that would not make those opinions as stated today dishonest in any way..

Just an edit for detail purposes: I do not think Eovaldi sucks.. I just don't think he is the savior and TOR guy that most think he now fits as. I would not be shocked to see Happ outperform him this year..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

I saw on Twitter that the Sox estimated payroll right now with Eovaldi is at $243M. They have some other holes they need to fill as well.

I would not be pleased if our payroll is considerably less than theirs, or less than theirs at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    Line them up?

Sale ...... Sevy who you take it a you pick them contest?

Price ...... Tanaka

Evo ........ Paxton?

out of the matchup Sale wins easy Price beats Tanaka by a little and Paxton EVO are a wash.

Keep telling yourself our 3 are better lol.
    The Sox trio is clearly better. I don't think an argument can even be made. We have nobody even close to Sale. Price is just as good as Severino/Paxton at this point. Eovaldi was a monster in the playoffs, and I think he found the perfect situation in Boston.

Tanaka>Price

I'll give you Sale, but Sevy (when he's on like he was in the 1st half this past season) can come pretty damn close. Sale also tends to get worse as the season goes on, usually

I am saying if those 6 were in a you pick a guy contest like picking teams for a pickup game 1st pick would be Sale id bet Price would go next then Sevy and Tanaka then Paxton and Evo would be a coin toss.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I saw on Twitter that the Sox estimated payroll right now with Eovaldi is at $243M. They have some other holes they need to fill as well.

I would not be pleased if our payroll is considerably less than theirs, or less than theirs at all.
    Will be kind of crazy right? Hal wanting to stay under $200 million is a real frustration if it turns out to be true.

However, this feels like payback for all those years of us arguing that payroll isn't why the Yankees won lol.

Evo is just as likely to revert back to what he was before last season than he is a repeat of 2018.
    My Top 100 Films of 2015: http://funnylookinfilms.tumblr.com/

NYYF Legend

This Yankee team desperately needs an ace. A arm that every start is a stopper who can shut the other team down and prevent any kind of extended losing streaks. To me, that is one of the big advantages that the sux have. And for all the talk about Severino being that guy, I’m not at all convinced as they couldn’t even fix him from tipping his pitches despite knowing full well that he was doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by JayMan92 View Post
    The Sox trio is clearly better. I don't think an argument can even be made. We have nobody even close to Sale. Price is just as good as Severino/Paxton at this point. Eovaldi was a monster in the playoffs, and I think he found the perfect situation in Boston.

I know the other guy is living in a pipe dream. We have nobody that can match Sale and price. Yes Price sucked but at the end last year he found it and even shut us down.

If we went to there 4th and 5th starters it would be even wider as CC is our 4th which there Bull pen couch is better then him and 5th is a coin toss for us

NYYF Legend

Re: Eovaldi's contract

Correction: It wasnt the Phillies owner who said they're going to spend stupid money. It was Red Sox owner John Henry. 😁
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by 21stAmendment View Post
    Evo is just as likely to revert back to what he was before last season than he is a repeat of 2018.

Same could be said about Sevy.. He could revert back to what he ended up the season as a 7th starter or a #2 same can be said about every pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by JayMan92 View Post

The key here is Severino.. Was he tipping? If so and it gets corrected is he the pitcher we saw first half of the season?

If the answer to that is in the positive for us, I think we match up well with anyone, including the Boston top 3.

But if the guy we get going forward is more the second half Sevy for whatever reason, then yeah, we in BIG trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Eovaldi back to BOS per Rosenthal.
    Thank God. Wanted nothing to do with him.

Keuchel was better than Corbin.
    Fixed.

NYYF HOF

I think saying they’re clearly better underrates Tanaka and Paxton a bit. Evoaldi pitched 111 in the regular season last year. Yeah he was lights out in the playoffs. That was what, 22 IP? He hasn’t had a season like either of our top three guys.

He’s overrated, BUT he might be worth the long term investment. Let’s not act like there’s no risk of giving him almost $70 million for four years.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

Four years, $67.5 million for Eovaldi.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    The key here is Severino.. Was he tipping? If so and it gets corrected is he the pitcher we saw first half of the season?

If the answer to that is in the positive for us, I think we match up well with anyone, including the Boston top 3.

But if the guy we get going forward is more the second half Sevy for whatever reason, then yeah, we in BIG trouble..
    If Severino can't go back to being an ace than yeah we have HUGE problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Outoftowner View Post
    And that means what exactly?
    It means that I found it an odd choice of language to describe what happened in that series. I asked the question because I had no idea what he meant by the phrase.

The Red Sox bitch slapped the Astros this year. Does that detract from the Astros winning it all in 2017? For 2018 the Red Sox were the best team in MLB. Period. End of discussion. Attempting to detract from it with nitpicky points- especially something from a previous season- doesn't change it.
    It was an honest question. I had no idea what he was talking about.

The Yanks should've offered Happ a contract awhile ago. Now his agent knows he has the Yankees by the balls and they are gonna play hardball. Especially with the Phillies also looming. This could be an ugly contract.

Forum Regular

Keuchel is better than Corbin.
    I totally agree. Keuchel is a proven post season pitcher.
    Practice???..We talkn bout Practice

Tanaka>Price
    based on what? Price is an ace against pretty much any team not wearing an interlocking NY. Tanaka is 29. At 29, Price had 30 more wins, an ERA a half run lower and a CYA. In 3 years in Boston Price has put up similar numbers to Tanaka...and that's with him being injured for a significant portion of the season last year.

this one could be a wash, but if healthy Evo's ceiling is significantly higher based simply on arm talent (to borrow a term from the NFL)

if I had the choice I would.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post

YES has been promoting their Hot Stove show for tonight and Jack Curry said that there will be a Cashman interview where he confirms that Severino was in fact tipping his pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr View Post
    The Yanks should've offered Happ a contract awhile ago. Now his agent knows he has the Yankees by the balls and they are gonna play hardball. Especially with the Phillies also looming. This could be an ugly contract.

Even if ugly, should be no longer than 3 years and if we get 2 good ones out of him, it will not be such a kick to the you know what..

Thread Information