+ Reply to Thread
Page 837 of 943 FirstFirst ... 337 737 787 827 834 835 836 837 838 839 840 847 887 937 ... LastLast
Results 20,901 to 20,925 of 23559

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    I think that's fair. I think they improved the team slightly and yes he's still spending money but I think they could have done better. Even without Machado or Harper.

Unless something crazy happens I'm sticking to watching them but not attending any games.
    I would have been more than happy with Brantley and Murphy. And why did they choose DJL over Lowrie? Couldve used that Lh bat.
    Fully operational Death Star

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    I would have been more than happy with Brantley and Murphy. And why did they choose DJL over Lowrie? Couldve used that Lh bat.
    I can only hope they tried for Lowrie and didn't actually prefer djl. If they did then I disagree with that decision and hope I'm wrong lol.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    No shot. Where did you see that?
    Like 3 or 4 pages back in this forum. But no one seemed to confirm it was true.

The Death Star is Sputtering

No shot. Where did you see that?
    Apparently, he called Tony Paige last night:

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8636185
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I highly doubt it, but maybe those numbers are accurate.
    Correct. Baseball Prospectus WARP uses DRC+ for it's offensive component. It's pretty suspect as they even admit. It overly rewards those for putting the ball on the ground. It's expected contribution (without batted ball data, EV/Launch angle) vs actual contribution.

VORP on that page is more realistic.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I've made a huge mistake Gob Rules's Avatar

Trying to be positive here because the MLB offseason is a desolate wasteland so rather not harp on how cheap the Yankees seem to have become, but maybe Dee Jay La May Hue is just slotted into Hechevarria’s spot, and if I remember correctly, that type of signing was always going to happen whether we sign Machado or not.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Apparently, he called Tony Paige last night:

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8636185
    Can’t be true. Lozano has literally not made a public comment about Machado for as long as I can remember.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gob Rules View Post
    Trying to be positive here because the MLB offseason is a desolate wasteland so rather not harp on how cheap the Yankees seem to have become, but maybe Dee Jay La May Hue is just slotted into Hechevarria’s spot, and if I remember correctly, that type of signing was always going to happen whether we sign Machado or not.
    Not for $12M per for two years!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob Rules View Post
    I have a very tough time believing that Cashman committed $24 million, while blowing by the luxury tax threshold, for a utility infielder.

To put this into perspective, they signed Neil Walker to a 1-year/$4 million deal to fill that type of role last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMike's View Post
    I didn't hear the call per say, but WFAN's Tony Paige this morning mentioned he was surprised about the call in he got from Machado's agent last night. In short he said the Yankees will be lucky to win in the mid 80's without his client. I'm upset too but it sounds like sour grapes to me.

LOL. That's just stupid. On paper the Yankees are still better than last year even without his client. I wanted Machado too but if the agent really said that he's an idiot.

(Red Sox fan take)

At the end of the day I can understand the Yankees passing on Manny because of some of those issues he put on display.

Now I'm actually more surprised they would pass on Harper. The thought of him hitting in the Stadium...

I think Yanks are now in the 2nd tier luxury tax bracket. Once over $246M they enter 3rd tier. They mine as well try to get as close to 246 as possible at this point...

Forum Regular

Not for $12M per for two years!
    That’s the issue. I have no problem with DJ being on the team, but if you are going to stick to a budget, salary matters.

Can’t be true. Lozano has literally not made a public comment about Machado for as long as I can remember.
    Yeah, if that was true I’d think we’d be seeing articles about it; everything about this saga is reported

I don't think it's a matter of being cheap as much as it is highly questionable asset allocation. In what universe does Britton, Gardner, DJL = Machado plus two minimum salary guys(let's say Frazier and Loaisiga). Machado provides so much value out of one roster spot that he wins out every single time. Not to mention that at 26, he should be entering his prime while Gardner is long past his and Britton/DJL have started/should start leaving their soon.

Also, as has been mentioned, you had guys like Kinsler available...you have Hechavarria/Iglesias/Galvis and a ton of relievers on the market to get on the cheap. Gray could've been moved for a UI/RP. So many different ways to finish building out the team AFTER getting Manny.

Lastly, it's not about fielding a "competitive" team. It's about creating a monster, it's about stepping on the throats of each team out there. Becoming the prohibitive favorites, not having equal chances as Boston, LA, Houston. If we don't end up with Manny(highly unlikely now), we just passed on a golden opportunity while our core will be inexpensive for the next 2-3 years.

I was the one that made the post. I had my alarm set for 4am for my wife to get up and go to work. Tony Paige was saying he was surprised that Machado's agent called in last night and basically ripped the Yankees. That's what I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    In what universe does Britton, Gardner, DJL = Machado plus two minimum salary guys(let's say Frazier and Loaisiga).
    Not a good comparison, they still have Frazier and Loaisiga and every veteran they bring in above guys like that just builds depth.

Quote Originally Posted by HfxBob View Post
    (Red Sox fan take)

At the end of the day I can understand the Yankees passing on Manny because of some of those issues he put on display.

Now I'm actually more surprised they would pass on Harper. The thought of him hitting in the Stadium...
    Harper is the one I ever wanted all along. The reason I'm upset over the Machado snub is that he would of been a good second choice. Come on Cashman swoop in and get Harper!

Missing out on Machado sucks but I had always thought he was less of a need than Bryce Harper was. Harper would give us that truly threatening left handed power bat that we havent had since Jason Giambi. The Yankees pretty much conceded with the acquisition of McCutchen last year that Gardner is not a starter anymore and they havent brought in anyone who could play there.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by albo4lyfe View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of being cheap as much as it is highly questionable asset allocation. In what universe does Britton, Gardner, DJL = Machado plus two minimum salary guys(let's say Frazier and Loaisiga). Machado provides so much value out of one roster spot that he wins out every single time. Not to mention that at 26, he should be entering his prime while Gardner is long past his and Britton/DJL have started/should start leaving their soon.

Also, as has been mentioned, you had guys like Kinsler available...you have Hechavarria/Iglesias/Galvis and a ton of relievers on the market to get on the cheap. Gray could've been moved for a UI/RP. So many different ways to finish building out the team AFTER getting Manny.

Lastly, it's not about fielding a "competitive" team. It's about creating a monster, it's about stepping on the throats of each team out there. Becoming the prohibitive favorites, not having equal chances as Boston, LA, Houston. If we don't end up with Manny(highly unlikely now), we just passed on a golden opportunity while our core will be inexpensive for the next 2-3 years.
    Bingo. I was dreaming of a left side of Machado and Rendon next year, now what? Didi/Andujar? Didi/DJ? Maybe something worse than Didi when they don't want to pay him? So very depressing that they are letting this opportunity go by with absolutely TERRIBLE asset allocation. Add a new GM.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Not a good comparison, they still have Frazier and Loaisiga and every veteran they bring in above guys like that just builds depth.
    But they only have 25 spots they can use. Hechavarria and those like him could've provided depth for a fraction of the cost AND we would've had a superstar entering his prime. Yankees dropped the ball big time on this. Of course, if needed, decent pieces can easily be acquired in-season. Look at Boston--they were able to get solid pieces in Pearce and Eovaldi, and I know you know how bad their farm is. Guys like Machado and Harper substantially move the needle. DJL barely registers.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rhod0406 View Post
    Missing out on Machado sucks but I had always thought he was less of a need than Bryce Harper was. Harper would give us that truly threatening left handed power bat that we havent had since Jason Giambi. The Yankees pretty much conceded with the acquisition of McCutchen last year that Gardner is not a starter anymore and they havent brought in anyone who could play there.
    This. My strong preference was always Harper and Donaldson but once Cashman made it clear his preference was Machado, I reluctantly got behind it because he still addressed a major area of weakness while his age made him a low-risk long-term signing versus an older player.

I have zero faith moving forward that this organization will spend what it takes for elite talent. They might do so for Judge in the future, and only because he’s home grown, but anyone dreaming of Trout or Betts in a few years is dreaming in technicolor.

NYYF Legend

The other thing that doesn't make sense is 3B is one of the deepest offensive/defensive positions in baseball. 5 out of the top 9 players in baseball (fWAR) play 3B. Why would you ever want to compete with those teams at a massive disadvantage with DJ there?
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The other thing that doesn't make sense is 3B is one of the deepest offensive positions in baseball. 5 out of the top 9 players in baseball offensively (wRC+) play 3B. Why would you ever want to compete with those teams at a massive disadvantage with DJ there?
    I suspect they envision LeMahieu as the everyday 2B with Torres moving over to 3B if in fact they plan on moving Andujar away from that position.

NYYF Legend

I suspect they envision LeMahieu as the everyday 2B with Torres moving over to 3B if in fact they plan on moving Andujar away from that position.
    I don't know how you could move Gleyber to 3B with so little experience there. Also, again 3B is super deep next season (Rendon, Arenado, Donaldson, ect...) Don't use a player at 3rd who can play 2B/SS. Terrible roster management.
    Calmer than you are

Forum Regular

This. My strong preference was always Harper and Donaldson but once Cashman made it clear his preference was Machado, I reluctantly got behind it because he still addressed a major area of weakness while his age made him a low-risk long-term signing versus an older player.

I have zero faith moving forward that this organization will spend what it takes for elite talent. They might do so for Judge in the future, and only because he’s home grown, but anyone dreaming of Trout or Betts in a few years is dreaming in technicolor.
    I thought the opportunity to dramatically improve the defense with Machado at 3rd, while freeing up Andujar to trade for a top pitcher, was the move they'd make, but I appreciate how Harper's lefty bat fits.

The future litmus test for me is Gerrit Cole, assuming he hits FA, because we know they like him and they could use a top starter.

Thread Information