+ Reply to Thread
Page 1156 of 1156 FirstFirst ... 156 656 1056 1106 1146 1153 1154 1155 1156
Results 28,876 to 28,891 of 28891
  1. #28876

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HfxBob View Post
    Let's stick with the postseason numbers just a bit longer though. You've made much of Sale's 5.76 ERA in 25 postseason innings.

    Luis Severino has a 6.26 ERA in 23 postseason innings. How much does that affect your opinion of his value to the Yankees?
    I would say the same about him. He hasn’t helped the Yankees advance in the postseason and he’s caught flack for that, as he should.

    The difference is that Severino just turned 25, so I have hope that this is part of the normal process of development for him. Sale will be 30 next month. He’s a mature pitcher who should be at the peak of his effectiveness. In addition, there’s an obvious explanation for Sale’s late season decline. He’s 6’6” and 180 pounds. He’s skinny. Pitchers often lose weight during the season. He has no weight to lose and likely loses strength as the season progresses
    Last edited by Bill Marsh; Today at 09:47 AM.

  2. #28877
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527 View Post
    Would still like to see the Yanks try to make a play for Keuchel. I stick by the old saying of you can never have enough pitching. Maybe a 1 year higher AAV deal? No idea what it would take at this point but he is still without a team and would add depth.
    Keuchel is at a point, based on his age and recent performance, where if he takes a large 1 year deal, and does not show improvement, he may be kissing goodbye to any chance for a future multi-year contract.

    In my opinion, he should get off the $100 million contract dream, if he still has that, and look for a 3 year deal similar to what Happ got. Maybe a 4 year deal like Evoldi has, but Evo cashed in on a superb post-season performance.

  3. #28878
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jan 2013

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JoePepitonesHair View Post
    Typical spring training puff piece. Is he in the best shape of his life too?
    Yes Ottavino is in the best shape of his life due to working out at that repurposed storefront in Harlem that Michael Kay will mention every time he pitches.

  4. #28879
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    I was disappointed in not sign Moncada (to fill 2nd) but I don't know if Brian would have made the trade for Chris Sale like Dave did that some assumes. The big point BoSox would NOT have gotten Sale. More importantly, Sale may be a FA this year because he is making 12.5M in his walk year and Price is making 32M and they have a bunch of young players to extend like Betts and JD, too. I really don't think Sale will take less than Price. I still want Cole next year.

    Thanks for the article posted on Ottavino (earlier). He was one of my targets (Britton wasn't) so I am excited to see him in pin stripes. I think he is better than Britton and his sinker but having both in then pen is nice.

  5. #28880
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Yes Ottavino is in the best shape of his life due to working out at that repurposed storefront in Harlem that Michael Kay will mention every time he pitches.
    At least he doesn’t tell the story about Don Mattingly and the windvane anymore.

  6. #28881
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Jon Heyman @JonHeyman 39m39 minutes ago
    Manny Machado has agreed to play 3B from the start for the padres, which is a treat for all. also leaves SS open for when phenom Fernando Tatis Jr. is ready.
    Remember when a few posters on this forum were adamant that we shouldn't sign Manny because he said he wants to play SS? Good times.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  7. #28882

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Remember when a few posters on this forum were adamant that we shouldn't sign Manny because he said he wants to play SS? Good times.
    He did want to play SS IMO. But money talks. No way he was turning that $300m down because of a position after we heard all off season the offers he was getting. Let's see how he keeps up his effort though now that he got paid. That was my worry with him.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  8. #28883
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Sonny Gray scratched from his start tomorrow with elbow stiffness.

  9. #28884

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Can we just all agree that we'd all be much happier if the rest of the league would stop bending over for the Red Sox? Sale for Moncada and the massive dump to the Dodgers in 2012 come to mind.

    https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/...ord-nick-punto
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

  10. #28885

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Can we just all agree that we'd all be much happier if the rest of the league would stop bending over for the Red Sox? Sale for Moncada and the massive dump to the Dodgers in 2012 come to mind.

    https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/...ord-nick-punto
    It's the league-wide anti-Yankees bias.


  11. #28886

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Can we just all agree that we'd all be much happier if the rest of the league would stop bending over for the Red Sox? Sale for Moncada and the massive dump to the Dodgers in 2012 come to mind.
    It was Sale for Moncada and Kopech, and most of the analyses at the time said it was good value for the White Sox, I think.

    Red Sox fans often gripe about the Yankees fleecing other teams too, such as with the Sonny Gray trade where the prospects given up had injury issues.

  12. #28887

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HfxBob View Post
    Let's stick with the postseason numbers just a bit longer though. You've made much of Sale's 5.76 ERA in 25 postseason innings.

    Luis Severino has a 6.26 ERA in 23 postseason innings. How much does that affect your opinion of his value to the Yankees?
    Yup...

    Quote Originally Posted by luis pecorino View Post
    Eh, not too sure about that. Sale's postseason stats are favorable to Sevy's and I don't hear many of those complaints directed toward him (Sevy). In addition, I'm going to go out on the limb and say that Sale knew the start time of every postseason game he started.
    And, despite their age difference, I’ll take Sale over Severino 10 out of 10 times.

  13. #28888
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by HfxBob View Post
    It was Sale for Moncada and Kopech, and most of the analyses at the time said it was good value for the White Sox, I think.

    Red Sox fans often gripe about the Yankees fleecing other teams too, such as with the Sonny Gray trade where the prospects given up had injury issues.
    That’s probably not the beat example.

  14. #28889

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    Can we just all agree that we'd all be much happier if the rest of the league would stop bending over for the Red Sox? Sale for Moncada and the massive dump to the Dodgers in 2012 come to mind.

    https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/...ord-nick-punto
    Let's not forget about the Schilling trade after the Yankees offered a legitimate package to Arizona and they turned around and sent him to Boston for a bag of balls.

  15. #28890
    2009 WORLD CHAMPIONS aeromac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huntington, NY

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Let's not forget about the Schilling trade after the Yankees offered a legitimate package to Arizona and they turned around and sent him to Boston for a bag of balls.



    That was all Colangelo.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

  16. #28891

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by luis pecorino View Post
    Yup...



    And, despite their age difference, I’ll take Sale over Severino 10 out of 10 times.
    You’re making an apples to oranges comparison. The problem is that you’re viewing Sale through the lens of having seen his peak years while Severino is just coming off his age 24 season. If you compare the two of them at the same age, they compare very favorably. I’ll take Severino’s future over Sale’s 10 out of 10 times - especially after seeing Sale’s normal late season tired arm put him on the DL this year and restrict his innings when he came back.

Thread Information

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts