+ Reply to Thread
Page 1084 of 1221 FirstFirst ... 84 584 984 1034 1074 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1094 1134 1184 ... LastLast
Results 27,076 to 27,100 of 30523
    NYYF Legend

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Interesting. . .

Roster Resource has the Yankees at $217.3 AAV. $27.5 would bring them in just under $246m.

http://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-ne...-yankees-info/
    right but the yankees can offer more and make some trades to shed salary if needed. there's flexibility to make it work if that's the way they want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    right but the yankees can offer more and make some trades to shed salary if needed. there's flexibility to make it work if that's the way they want to go.
    Yes, I just thought it was ironic that it is the magic number that just fits.

I don’t know who they trade who would save any money. The obvious case would be to give Ellsbury away by eating $15-16 million of his salary. That would save them $6-7 million and give them wiggle room under the “cap”. But what anyone want him after his long layoff?

Tossing out a hypothetical. If you're Cashman and Hal says I'll give you Machado or Harper this year, but you have to pass on Hicks and Didi next year and shop trades, our minor league system or the bargain bin to replace them. Keep in mind that in this scenario Hal is saying he'll spend more this year, but the money coming off the books next year (CC, Gardner, Didi, Hicks, etc.) he's taking that back. So there's no answer in this hypothetical where you can have Machado/Harper + either of Hicks or Didi. You can't also say you'll trade JDL or someone like that to clear the space. Its straight Machado or Harper now vs. Didi + Hicks next year?

And part two which may be a more realistic scenario what if he says you can have 1 of Didi, Hicks, Betances next year plus Machado/Harper this year. Do you do it and which one do you keep and which one do you sign?

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Tossing out a hypothetical. If you're Cashman and Hal says I'll give you Machado or Harper this year, but you have to pass on Hicks and Didi next year and shop trades, our minor league system or the bargain bin to replace them. Keep in mind that in this scenario Hal is saying he'll spend more this year, but the money coming off the books next year (CC, Gardner, Didi, Hicks, etc.) he's taking that back. So there's no answer in this hypothetical where you can have Machado/Harper + either of Hicks or Didi. You can't also say you'll trade JDL or someone like that to clear the space. Its straight Machado or Harper now vs. Didi + Hicks next year?

And part two which may be a more realistic scenario what if he says you can have 1 of Didi, Hicks, Betances next year plus Machado/Harper this year. Do you do it and which one do you keep and which one do you sign?
    It would have been nice if Hal had said that before Cashman signed LeMahieu and Ottavino.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It would have been nice if Hal had said that before Cashman signed LeMahieu and Ottavino.
    Yes, but LeMahieu and Ottavino are relatively short term whereas Machado, Didi, Hicks all figure to get longer than 3 year deals. So I can see where it would be an either or situation.

The talk about no Machado now because we have to sign Judge several years from now is just silly, but I could totally see a Machado signing impacting Didi and/or Hicks next year. And it makes for a more interesting hypothetical (no one would say give me JDL and Ottovino over Machado).

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Assuming the reports are accurate (doubtful), when you have the highest revenue in the sport by a significant margin, nothing is fair about offering less than another team, and expecting the player to accept it.

The Yankees made an offer knowing Manny wouldn't accept it....

This shows me winning is no longer the most important thing next to breathing. The remaining millions it would have taken is chump change compared to the revenue the Yankees bring in. Hal and Cashman are the chumps. He made mistakes but at least George really wanted the Yankees to be Champs...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Yes, but LeMahieu and Ottavino are relatively short term whereas Machado, Didi, Hicks all figure to get longer than 3 year deals. So I can see where it would be an either or situation.

The talk about no Machado now because we have to sign Judge several years from now is just silly, but I could totally see a Machado signing impacting Didi and/or Hicks next year. And it makes for a more interesting hypothetical (no one would say give me JDL and Ottovino over Machado).
    If that were the choice, I'd take Machado.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

This is a no brainer. Sign Machado, and use 2019 to decide whether you're extending Hicks or Didi.
    Don't have a clue

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post

This shows me winning is no longer the most important thing next to breathing. The remaining millions it would have taken is chump change compared to the revenue the Yankees bring in. Hal and Cashman are the chumps. He made mistakes but at least George really wanted the Yankees to be Champs...
    Are you saying the Yankees aren't hustling to sign Manny?
    "Show me what you got!" Big head from "Rick and Morty"

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post

At least that’s what he wanted you to believe.

Remember when he wouldn’t match the Red Sox’ offer to Bernie?

What he really wanted was to own the back pages of the tabloids and have the headlines all to himself.

NYYF Legend

We should have passed on Didi this season, and put Didi money + Britton/DJ money towards Donaldson. Ultimately, the long term goal should have been a combination of Machado (SS) + Arenado/Rendon/Donaldson (3B).

CF (Hicks) is more a position of need than SS (Didi) or RP (Betances). So that's an easy choice if I need to make one next season.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

I think that ship has sailed. I doubt that the Yankees kept Didi @$12 million just so they could trade him next year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I think that ship has sailed. I doubt that the Yankees kept Didi @$12 million just so they could trade him next year.
    They can't trade him next year. They can either extend him now or sign him during FA at the end of the season.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

They can't trade him next year. They can either extend him now or sign him during FA at the end of the season.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYFAN View Post
    Are you saying the Yankees aren't hustling to sign Manny?
    I see what you did there.

We should have passed on Didi this season, and put Didi money + Britton/DJ money towards Donaldson. Ultimately, the long term goal should have been a combination of Machado (SS) + Arenado/Rendon/Donaldson (3B).

CF (Hicks) is more a position of need than SS (Didi) or RP (Betances). So that's an easy choice if I need to make one next season.
    That would have made more sense.

Supposedly if Yanks sign Machado he would play 3B and Andujar would move across the diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache Fan View Post
    This is a no brainer. Sign Machado, and use 2019 to decide whether you're extending Hicks or Didi.
    So to the second question, you're saying goodbye to one of Hicks or Didi and will use 2019 to decide which one and are also letting Betances go?

What about the first scenario where there is no money for either Hicks and Didi (i.e. you have to lose them both to get Machado)?

I think this is a way for Boras to get the AAV he wants, however this is pretty risky from a player perspective. Harper still has that allure due to his 2015 season. If he doesn't turn into that 2015 season type player, and more proves the player he's been the last 2-3 years. He's not getting a 8yr deal down the line. Also, he's going to go from being a National (5th best HR park) to SF (2nd worst HR park). That's no good. Not to mention, he's a guy who injures himself quite a bit, and only stayed healthy because he didn't run hard on defense. He going to do that for the next couple years as well?

The only upside is that it cashes in on the potential of him coming to terms under a new CBA. However, there are no guarantees there, and he could accomplish similar with an opt out.
    I could see Harper liking the idea of following in Bonds’ footsteps and liking the challenge of becoming a McCovey Cove icon by hitting HRs into the Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Supposedly if Yanks sign Machado he would play 3B and Andujar would move across the diamond.
    Or play Machado at SS. That would give time to see if Andujar's defense is improved.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Or play Machado at SS. That would give time to see if Andujar's defense is improved.
    What are you doing with the 3 middle infielders in Gley, Tulo, and DJ?

If we sign Machado....Andujar needs to move across the diamond and to another field for another team.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

What are you doing with the 3 middle infielders in Gley, Tulo, and DJ?
    If you sign Machado, there is little reason to keep Tulo in my opinion.

I mean unless he magically looks like Rockies Tulo in spring training, then you have a good problem on your hands where Andujar is a full time DH, Your IF is Gley, Tulo, Machado and DJ is a very expensive utility player. But it also allows you to rest Tulo a lot an take him out for defense with DJ going to 2b and Gley sliding over to SS late in games.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

So Kyler Murray chooses football over baseball. He just fully committed to playing the NFL. Oakland gets back a big portion of their bonus money, but loses their 2018 first round pick without getting any draft compensation. I expect the two sport athlete to be address in the next CBA.

To answer my own question. If I have to lose both Didi and Hicks and can't replace either of them with a similar level of free agent, I'd probably pass on Machado and Harper. If I could keep one and all lose Betances I'd definitely grab Machado and make the hard choice between Didi and Hicks after the season. Hicks would be more of a need though.

For perspective here the past 2 year (combined 2017-2018 seasons) WAR numbers for the 4 players:
    Machado- 8.8 WAR (over 1399 PA)
    Didi- 8.7 WAR (over 1139 PA)
    Harper- 8.3 WAR (over 1187 PA)
    Hicks- 8.2 WAR (over 942 PA)

Hicks and Didi actually per PA produce more value than Machado and Harper. Granted Machado is weighed down by his uncharacteristically poor offensive performance in 2017 and Harper is weighed down by his lack of defensive effort in 2018. Still interesting nonetheless if we're looking at ultimatums.

NYYF Legend

You aren't really comparing apples to apples. You don't replace Machado with Hicks and Didi. You replace Machado with Didi, and then replace Hicks. Be it a defense shift, Judge/Clint to CF, or players on a small deal. You don't have a CFer with 0 value.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information