+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 52 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 ... LastLast

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Maybe this will be the offseason that Ellsbury can be traded in a deal for Greinke.

Stanton will likely only waive his no trade clause to go to the Dodgers so perhaps a straight up sway for Bellinger could work.

For his 1st year in the AL and New York stanton was not that bad. Yes he did not bat for average but trust me we have had much worse then him.

Everyone wants rid of Stanton but really his numbers were not that bad

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...ayroll-to-use/

So they think it's $163 million as is. However, that includes Gardner's 10.5m and Gray's 9.1m. I don't see either of those on the ledger for next season. That could essentially be the Corbin contract.

I'd say then we are closer to $143m (206.0 M luxury tax threshold).
    Just to add on here....if they go all the way up to 246m. They only pay 10.4m in tax. That should be spare change to the Yankees. Stop being cheap!

IMO, we should have more than 100m to spend this offseason. Anything less is cheap.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Red Sox will be laughing their way to the AL East again next year if the best we can come with on a pitcher is Corbin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Red Sox will be laughing their way to the AL East again next year if the best we can come with on a pitcher is Corbin.

This is why not getting Sale a few years ago was huge. Yes it took a top prospect or a few but we would have had a true ace. This team will not go anywhere next season unless they find a Sale type in trade or FA

Cessa for arenado,
    Get it done Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post

I am not sure how one comes to this conclusion to be honest..

The Red Sox outpaced us by 8 wins this year.

Their 3 best players, or 3 out of 4 if you add Benintendi, all had career years in JD, Mookie and Xander. That is not to say any of them are not any good of course, but it is far more likely they'll take at least a slight step back next year than repeat or improve on this year. They could lose Kimbrel as a FA, and he is their best and at times only reliable reliever.

In addition, the Yankees were ravaged by injuries. Their best player missed 7 weeks. Their thought to be MVP caliber catcher missed more than 1/3 of the year, and even when he played he was hardly useful. Our starting first baseman was a non-entity, until replaced by Voit for the final push. Aaron Hicks, Didi Gregorious and Gleyber Torres spent extended time on the DL as well.
    Our rotation lost Montgomery for just about the whole year, and Sonny Gray was useless. Until JA Happ arrived, we were going with 3 reliable starters (Sevy, Hiro and CC). CC was hardly reliable past the 4th inning, and Sevy was gone most of the second half of the year..

With all of this going against us, and their best players all combining for dream seasons, we still won 100 games and only fell short by 8 games of matching their win total..

Boston is a great team, and they absolutely could win the division next year, and there is still an offseason to fine tune rosters, but right now, if we started from scratch, I'd call the division a coin flip.

To think the Red Sox will laugh all the way to another easy division title assume everything will break for them again and nothing will break fo us. That's really worst case scenario, not likely outcome..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I am not sure how one comes to this conclusion to be honest..

The Red Sox outpaced us by 8 wins this year.

Their 3 best players, or 3 out of 4 if you add Benintendi, all had career years in JD, Mookie and Xander. That is not to say any of them are not any good of course, but it is far more likely they'll take at least a slight step back next year than repeat or improve on this year. They could lose Kimbrel as a FA, and he is their best and at times only reliable reliever.

In addition, the Yankees were ravaged by injuries. Their best player missed 7 weeks. Their thought to be MVP caliber catcher missed more than 1/3 of the year, and even when he played he was hardly useful. Our starting first baseman was a non-entity, until replaced by Voit for the final push. Aaron Hicks, Didi Gregorious and Gleyber Torres spent extended time on the DL as well.
    Our rotation lost Montgomery for just about the whole year, and Sonny Gray was useless. Until JA Happ arrived, we were going with 3 reliable starters (Sevy, Hiro and CC). CC was hardly reliable past the 4th inning, and Sevy was gone most of the second half of the year..

With all of this going against us, and their best players all combining for dream seasons, we still won 100 games and only fell short by 8 games of matching their win total..

Boston is a great team, and they absolutely could win the division next year, and there is still an offseason to fine tune rosters, but right now, if we started from scratch, I'd call the division a coin flip.

To think the Red Sox will laugh all the way to another easy division title assume everything will break for them again and nothing will break fo us. That's really worst case scenario, not likely outcome..
    We aren't catching Boston without adding a #1 starter. Corbin ain't it.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    Correlation vs causality

The renaming 4 teams are numbers 1,2,3,5 in post season batting average. But correlation or causality?
    The #2, #4, #9 and #10 teams in HRs are still playing.
    As are the #1, #2, #5 and #8 in team ERA.
    The teams left standing averaged 99 wins.
    I don't buy the too many HRs narrative, never have, never will.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Just to add on here....if they go all the way up to 246m. They only pay 10.4m in tax. That should be spare change to the Yankees. Stop being cheap!

IMO, we should have more than 100m to spend this offseason. Anything less is cheap.
    Yeah they got their reset, riches team in the sport should spend like it.

I mean I don't know about adding $100M in payroll but I wouldn't rule it out
    Baseball is life;

I agree. If they add 100 million dollars worth of payroll, that might end up being a billion dollar spending spree. Love it, if they get the right players
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Just saying “they hit too many homeruns” is lazy analysis. So we’re in agreement.
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

No such thing as too many. But sometimes a single up the middle would be nice with the bases loaded instead of popout, K, K.
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Just saying “they hit too many homeruns” is lazy analysis. So we’re in agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    No such thing as too many. But sometimes a single up the middle would be nice with the bases loaded instead of popout, K, K.
    Sure I don't disagree. I'd love a team of 300/400/500 hitters that all hit 25 bombs a year - i think that lineup would win a lot of games.
    Sometimes those players are hard to come by.
    Baseball is life;

Sure I don't disagree. I'd love a team of 300/400/500 hitters that all hit 25 bombs a year - i think that lineup would win a lot of games.
    All true

Just give me a couple of them at the top of the lineup and I'll be happy as I rather have Judge hitting 3rd.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Sign Michael Brantley and Daniel Murphy, two .300 hitters that would diversify the lineup.

Brantley, murphy, corbin, ottavino and re-signing Robertson would be my ideal scenario
    Listen to the bell Grossbard, it tolls for thee.

Yeah they got their reset, riches team in the sport should spend like it.

I mean I don't know about adding $100M in payroll but I wouldn't rule it out
    Right, Hal needs to take the handcuffs off Cashman and let him spend the necessary monies to improve the team without being stupid about it.

They probably wouldn’t have to go too long on Brantley, I wouldn’t mind that pickup

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Phinstripes View Post
    1. Not going to happen. Boone, at the very least, will get another year.

2. Hard pass on the guy with two TJS. Against teams not named the New York Yankees, he had a 4.41 ERA (if my math is correct).

3. Doubtful you're getting anyone of impact without a contract meeting/above those standards (Harper, Machado, Corbin, etc).
    This is what what and it never happens (Brian will probably trade Andújar and Frazier which I am totally against). You are right about Boone but he always had a problem taking the starter out during an inning and the last 2 games convinced me he will be the same next year. Eovaldi is the best bargain on the market. I remember Farnsworth. He had a great fastball and the hitters would sit on it. Eovaldi has a great fastball and the hitters know it coming and they still can't hit it. Now he has a cutter that he did not have with us. I think WE CAN GET HIM CHEAP. You don't think the BoSox will not go after him?

The ONLY long term contract I will do is Judge but we still have time.

This is for aeromatic - his post about things that went wrong because I missed it. (I added Stanton and Monty) I honestly felt Clint Frazier getting the concussion in ST definitely hurt us as 4th OF. I want him to replace Gardy next year and be our leadoff (0.390 OBP).

NYYF Legend

They probably wouldn’t have to go too long on Brantley, I wouldn’t mind that pickup
    Isn't this Brantley's first healthy season in quite some time?
    Baseball is life;

Isn't this Brantley's first healthy season in quite some time?
    Missed almost the whole year in 2016 and about half the year last year. I looked yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Cessa for arenado,
    Get it done Cashman
    The only way he'd get this done is by somehow collectively hypnotizing the Rockies' front office.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    This is arguable. How many teams have won a World Championship while winning the team home run crown? VERY few.

Yanks are built around the Home Run. HR rates dwindle in the postseason, as you face the best pitching. You need to score in other ways. Keeping the line moving, drawing walks, running the bases well, etc.

We hit 267 HR's this year, (#1), Boston hit 208. (#9)

Yet Boston scored 876 runs, to our 851. 851 is still fantastic, good for #2 in the league, but Boston beat us by a fair margin while hitting 59 less dingers.

HR's are great and helpful, but it is obviously about runs scored.

Boston game planned around taking away the HR. The result was Yanks scoring four runs in two home games combined.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

There is no "too many HRs narrative." This straw man argument scares no readers away.

There is, however, an entirely justified complaint about failures to get other kinds of hits. Boston understood this when it hired JDM. Yeah, he struck out too often this year, and K's do no useful work; nevertheless, he also hit .330 and has a .290+ lifetime b.a. and a .353 obp.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    There is no "too many HRs narrative." This straw man argument scares no readers away.

There is, however, an entirely justified complaint about failures to get other kinds of hits. Boston understood this when it hired JDM. Yeah, he struck out too often this year, and K's do no useful work; nevertheless, he also hit .330 and has a .290+ lifetime b.a. and a .353 obp.
    Give me a break, the Red Sox signed JDM to provide power to the lineup that was deficient in that area in 2017.

Thread Information