+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 37 38 39 40
    Calls a tool a tool

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Eh, the plan going back to 2016 was always for the window to really open in 2019. That's part of why the Tank Tax had to be reset this year.
    The plan should have been changed to take into account the 2017 postseason. They basically wasted a year of a very cheap WS caliber team with this luxury tax nonsense.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    I'll start by saying that the below is strictly my opinion, a few others here have alluded to it the same but I have no evidence to support what I believe, it is just how I am reading the lea leaves..

My thought is that from the moment they broke it down in mid 2016 and dealt away Miller and Chapman, the wheels were set in motion for the offseason that we are about to embark into ..
    The kids we got in those deals, as well as the kids we had in our system, would begin to really be ready by 2019 in the opinion of the organization. And those who were not would be weeded out. The tax would be reset. The free agency about to hit would be the sandbox to play in to augment what was expected to be a bumper crop of baby bombers ready to rumble..

The problem was, the kids got here and were big timing it early. Judge was viewed as an all star by 2019, but the bum went and slammed 50+ bombs in 2017. Sanchez was the next great Yankee catcher by 2019, but he was the most prolific hitting catcher in the league in 2016 and 2017 instead. Gleyber would be a regular in 2019, but he was an all star in 2018. Andujar might have been in the 2019 plans, instead he could be the 2018 ROY.

Suddenly the team was here and ready to rock early. But the front office had a plan, and whether one agrees with it or not, they were going to, for the most part stick to it. I believe the Yankees always believed 2019 was their year, and the start of the window. So they saw the window open early.. And they did try to make big moves to help that window, a la Giancarlo. But getting below the tax was always the plan for this offseason..

Now I know what Hal has said, about not needing a 200M+ payroll to win..
    But I cannot imagine that the Yankees reset the tax and have this core ready to rumble, and are now going to just sit out this supreme free agency crop. I just cannot buy into that. This has been what they have waited for and set up for.
    I have a hard time thinking they are suddenly going to sit it out, stay out of big additions, keep the payroll flexible and hope for the best. They have been planning for this offseason since the 2016 trade deadline, and I believe they are going to be "all in" now..
    They are just like Boone being unable to adjust to what they are seeing in real time. Its OK they had a plan in 2016. But the plan should have been changed after 2017. And ev1 here is still laboring under the assumption that the reset is worth some huge chunk of change. Its not. If they go over the cap by 20 million per year from here on out, what is the total savings they realize from the 2018 reset? 10 million total. Thats a peanut to a 4 billion dollar organization. They piss away 140 million on Ellsbury. They piss away 30 million on a going away present for Jeter. But they gotta have a 10 million dollar reset? Why did we lose anyway? 1 hit would have turned the game 1 loss into a win. Spending the extra 3 million on Donaldson could have easily resulted in us winning that game 1. The Ny series might have gone differently, and even if it didnt, could the Sale that pitched in the LCS win a game 5? Doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Bring on Harper, and let the chips fall where they may. Sign Corbin. Consider a more robust pitching coaching staff (let Rothschild be the figurehead. Whatever). Give Andujar another year to figure out 3B. Re-sign Hechavarria, or do an upgrade to replace Didi in his absence. Keep Torres at 2B.

Oh, and give AZ what they want for Goldschmidt.
    Steve Adams on MLBTR, said today he thinks Harper will sign a 12 - 14 years contract !
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    The media needs to get after him. Right now the Yankees have owned the narrative. Hal is a saavy businessman, NOT a cheap owner who worked for nothing his whole life with a father rolling in his grave.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed under the cap again.
    If they stay under the cap in 2019, then they should be stood up against a wall. Resetting again in 2019 makes the 2018 reset worthless. So if they planned to do that, they could have added Donaldson just by claiming him on waivers for about 1 million over the cap, and that would have had about a 1/2 million dollar LT price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    He'd be making $21M for not pitching every fifth game, instead of making $21M for not playing in 162 games.

Seems like a horrific waste of money, either way.
    It's tougher to lose a starting pitcher though.
    #HarperWatch

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    Steve Adams on MLBTR, said today he thinks Harper will sign a 12 - 14 years contract !
    And probably with opt-outs at 4 and 8 years.

No, thank you.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    If they stay under the cap in 2019, then they should be stood up against a wall. Resetting again in 2019 makes the 2018 reset worthless. So if they planned to do that, they could have added Donaldson just by claiming him on waivers for about 1 million over the cap, and that would have had about a 1/2 million dollar LT price tag.
    I feel like they are this stupid/stubborn.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Manny is not the hustling type.

Manny Machado admitted he is not a ďJohnny HustleĒ type of player, not the style who would go all-out down the first-base line, and has no plans to change his effort level in a surprisingly honest interview with The Athletic that was published Tuesday.
    ďIíve been thinking about it and it happens every time, thereís no excuse for it honestly,Ē Machado said about his hustle. ďIíve never given excuses for not running. Iím not hurt, thereís no excuse but Iíve been the same player. Ö Iíve been doing this for [seven] years, Iím in The Show for [seven] years, Iíve done the same thing for [seven] years, Iíve been the same player.

ďObviously Iím not going to change, Iím not the type of player thatís going to be ĎJohnny Hustle,í and run down the line and slide to first base and Ö you know, whatever can happen. Thatís just not my personality, thatís not my cup of tea, thatís not who I am.Ē
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/16/manny-...i-dont-hustle/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    So he is not coming to us if he wants that amount of years. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Manny is not the hustling type.
    I'll bet he smiles too much.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Not hustling is smart. Keeps you healthy. I still don't want him though. Get me Donaldson, Goldy, and David Peralta.

Spend your money on extensions and SP & RP.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So he is not coming to us if he wants that amount of years. I wish him well.
    Unlikely he gets that contract length. I'm not sure he'll get ten with how other decade long deals have backfired
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Wondering how many teams are going to spring for >$30M AAV anymore at this point. After a monster season in 2017, JD Martinez stayed on the market until close to spring training and didn't get that kind of money. Even with the reset, I'm skeptical that Hal is ready to sign off on that kind of commitment.
    While I agree that the circumstances will have to be right for another long-term, $30M AAV contract to happen, Martinez was entering his age 31 season, which I am certain was a factor in the lack of interest regarding his free agency.

Both Harper and Machado will be five years younger, so I can see them getting a $30M AAV - however, I think you will probably see these contracts for no more than eight years and, if the player was an opt-out, I can see the teams going even shorter. Since no player is going to give a team an opt-out, the only protection a team can write into a contract is to commit to fewer years.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

As expected, Eovaldi for a much cheaper price was the smarter play than Happ. Drury would have been extremely useful piece sliding into 2B with Gley moving to SS. Luckily Cashman can just spend his way out of that mistake.

Dombrowski really not getting enough credit. Eovaldi, Pearce, and JD all respective steals.
    Calmer than you are

Thread Information