+ Reply to Thread
Page 989 of 989 FirstFirst ... 489 889 939 979 986 987 988 989
Results 24,701 to 24,725 of 24725
  1. #24701
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    What the Yankees lacked last year in the playoffs against Boston was pitching first and foremost. Paxton should help.
    We killed Price, but the other 3 games we only scored 8 runs combined. Yes, Paxton will help, but like Happ who normally dominates the Red Sox, anyone can have a terrible outing.

    We need to be stronger everywhere, and going in with pretty much the same lineup, that's not what I had envisioned for this club. Especially with this type of deep offensive FA class.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  2. #24702

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Also Andujar's defense (or lack thereof) is a crucial topic of discussion until it is officially clear that he is no longer NY's primary 3B. There's no disrespect there, he simply isn't capable of doing it adequately for a team facing a vicious division race. Maybe there is an infinitestimal chance that if a team like SD put him out there for another few seasons, he'd somehow develop to adequate. Personally I highly doubt that, but more relevantly, NY can't afford to take that chance given their other options IMO.
    My point about not talking about it is there is nothing new anyone can add to the discussion that hasn't been said on essentially all of the nearly 1000 pages of this thread. It's certainly important, but we all know where everyone stands we're just restarting the cycle again.

    If new information comes out, by all means

  3. #24703

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    3 years ago, I started a new job with a boss who is a Boston fan. Die hard Boston.

    Since then, the Red Sox won 3 straight AL Easts for the 1st time ever and a WS and the Pats made 3 straight SBs...

    Im going to quit tomorrow.
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

  4. #24704
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    We killed Price, but the other 3 games we only scored 8 runs combined. Yes, Paxton will help, but like Happ who normally dominates the Red Sox, anyone can have a terrible outing.

    We need to be stronger everywhere, and going in with pretty much the same lineup, that's not what I had envisioned for this club. Especially with this type of deep offensive FA class.
    CP gets it.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  5. #24705
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I'm not. You said "at the end of the season and in the playoffs." That's pretty much what our lineup was at the end of the season and into the playoffs. We lost the division and lost in the playoffs.

    It needs to be better.
    Depends how you view it. It certainly needs to perform better. I think it can. Maybe you disagree.


    I'd love to replace DJL with Manny Machado and move Gley back to 2B in my lineup but I don't see that happening. If it does I'll be a happy man.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  6. #24706

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    We killed Price, but the other 3 games we only scored 8 runs combined. Yes, Paxton will help, but like Happ who normally dominates the Red Sox, anyone can have a terrible outing.

    We need to be stronger everywhere, and going in with pretty much the same lineup, that's not what I had envisioned for this club. Especially with this type of deep offensive FA class.
    Yea, agree. And in 2017 we scored 3 total runs in 4 games in Houston. It was a different offense and they did score in other games, but offense was as much of our undoing in 2017 and 2018 as pitching.

  7. #24707
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    We killed Price, but the other 3 games we only scored 8 runs combined. Yes, Paxton will help, but like Happ who normally dominates the Red Sox, anyone can have a terrible outing.

    We need to be stronger everywhere, and going in with pretty much the same lineup, that's not what I had envisioned for this club. Especially with this type of deep offensive FA class.
    OK so you are saying the team should be judged on 3 games where they only scored 8 runs but you're not using a SSS size. Got it.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  8. #24708
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    I think it would be entertaining to have Harper and won't complain if they sign him... but having 3 right fielders signed to long term deals (counting Judge's next 4 years and hopefully more as a long term deal), when one of them is already terrible defensively and probably needs to go to permanent 1B/DH pretty soon, is strange and probably dangerous roster construction.

    Maybe Harper as your 1B long term is good, hopefully he picks that up fast and is average there, but that's the only scenario that makes that much sense to me. I'd still like to have him for some reason.

    Machado seems just much more likely to not cause positional issues right off the bat and over the next 5+ years, despite being the inferior offensive talent.
    Yeah, I agree that Machado is the better fit. I was simply making the point that they "too many outfielders" is not really a valid excuse for not signing Harper.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  9. #24709
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Depends how you view it. It certainly needs to perform better. I think it can. Maybe you disagree.

    I'd love to replace DJL with Manny Machado and move Gley back to 2B in my lineup but I don't see that happening. If it does I'll be a happy man.
    I still can see it happening, but if it doesn't, I'm going to be pissed we didn't upgrade the offense in any meaningful way. If Machado wasn't 'at all costs', we should have improved the offense in other ways (eg Donaldson, Lowrie, Cruz, Dozier, ect...)
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  10. #24710
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Yeah, we'll see, I can't get too excited about him. It's more about the draft pick. Not just for draft pick purposes but the long shot hope it's indication the Yankees intend to have their draft pick pushed back.



    http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactio...ve-balance-tax
    The draft pick is in this June's draft. The push back will be in the NEXT Rule 4 draft, or 2020.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  11. #24711
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    OK so you are saying the team should be judged on 3 games where they only scored 8 runs but you're not using a SSS size. Got it.
    I'm responding to someone specifically bringing up the playoff games. Jesus.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  12. #24712
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    The draft pick is in this June's draft. The push back will be in the NEXT Rule 4 draft, or 2020.
    Ah yes.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  13. #24713
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    I still can see it happening, but if it doesn't, I'm going to be pissed we didn't upgrade the offense in any meaningful way. If Machado wasn't 'at all costs', we should have improved the offense in other ways (eg Donaldson, Lowrie, Cruz, Dozier, ect...)
    No NYY did not upgrade the offense in a meaningful way.
    That said Sanchez, Judge, and Gleyber all missed some significant time to injuries, not just a 2 week DL stint. I think they lost around 150 games from those 3 alone to injury. Sure injuries happen every year but if those 3 are healthy for all of 2019 I'm guessing that more than closes the gap on the 25 run difference between them and Boston last year.


    But very few teams win a short series where 3 of your 4 starting pitchers fail to go even 4 innings.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  14. #24714
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No NYY did not upgrade the offense in a meaningful way.
    That said Sanchez, Judge, and Gleyber all missed some significant time to injuries, not just a 2 week DL stint. I think they lost around 150 games from those 3 alone to injury. Sure injuries happen every year but if those 3 are healthy for all of 2019 I'm guessing that more than closes the gap on the 25 run difference between them and Boston last year.


    But very few teams win a short series where 3 of your 4 starting pitchers fail to go even 4 innings.
    And they go into the season knowing they've lost Didi for the first half and then some. Stuff will pop up. Injuries, unexpected down seasons (e.g. Sanchez), etc. This team really had the opportunity to execute a strategy that even a bunch of unplanned events happened, they'd be strong contenders. They may well watch that opportunity sail by.

  15. #24715
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No NYY did not upgrade the offense in a meaningful way.
    That said Sanchez, Judge, and Gleyber all missed some significant time to injuries, not just a 2 week DL stint. I think they lost around 150 games from those 3 alone to injury. Sure injuries happen every year but if those 3 are healthy for all of 2019 I'm guessing that more than closes the gap on the 25 run difference between them and Boston last year.

    But very few teams win a short series where 3 of your 4 starting pitchers fail to go even 4 innings.
    You can pick things for the Red Sox to get better at as well. They'll likely get a better offensive catcher next season (they literally can't do any worse). They'll have Pearce a full season. Devers can have a bounceback. JBJ ran into some bad luck last year (xwOBA). Ect...

    The idea isn't to close the gap. You want to put together a team to be much better on both sides of the ball. That's how you lessen the unpredictability of the playoffs. I don't want to enter the playoffs being even or slightly better, I want to enter the playoffs being a god damn juggernaut. You and every other Yankee fan should want that too. Somehow fans have bought into Hal's stance of being "good enough." No thanks Hal.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  16. #24716
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Though I can see the path I'm not confident it's happening, but if Machado signs with the Yankees this will have been in the pantheon of greatest offseasons of my lifetime. The offseason after 1998, the offseason after 2008, and then this, the offseason after 2018.

    The offseason after 2001 is also in there for sure, too.
    Trying to think of how 1998-99 was an all-time great offseason. Wells + for Clemens? I guess, but Wells arguably was as good or better than Clemens those first two years after the trade, and Wells was back here by 2002. Soriano's rights were technically purchased while the 1998 season was still going. And that was the offseason they dealt Mike Lowell for nothing much. What am I missing?

  17. #24717

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yeah, I agree that Machado is the better fit. I was simply making the point that they "too many outfielders" is not really a valid excuse for not signing Harper.
    Its a poor way of saying that we don't want to pay 300M for someone that adds no defensive value, but that's the reality of the situation. As a GM Cashman can't always say directly what he thinks, but he probably shouldn't have mentioned guys like Gardner, Ellsbury and even Frazier as reasons why they wouldn't pursue someone like Harper because that's just crazy.

  18. #24718

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Agreed. It never made any sense, and I don't even want Harper. As for backup CFer, both Judge and Harper can play CF, and they've played it as recently as last season. Funny enough, DJ LaMehieueihieu is somehow expected to play multiple infield positions despite not playing any of them in 5 years, and being over 30 (where defense declines). Yet he's automatically going to be great at that new role? OK.
    Over the past five years, LeMahieu has played a tiny bit at 1b, ss, and 3B. Which means he can play the positions. Given that he's an extraordinary defensive talent, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that he'll be able to handle a super-sub role (yes, even though he's never played the OF....watch for that in ST). I just wish he could hit from the left side.

  19. #24719
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Trying to think of how 1998-99 was an all-time great offseason. Wells + for Clemens? I guess, but Wells arguably was as good or better than Clemens those first two years after the trade, and Wells was back here by 2002. Soriano's rights were technically purchased while the 1998 season was still going. And that was the offseason they dealt Mike Lowell for nothing much. What am I missing?
    1976-77 was pretty darn good: Reggie Jackson, Bucky Dent, and Don Gullett

  20. #24720

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Its a poor way of saying that we don't want to pay 300M for someone that adds no defensive value, but that's the reality of the situation. As a GM Cashman can't always say directly what he thinks, but he probably shouldn't have mentioned guys like Gardner, Ellsbury and even Frazier as reasons why they wouldn't pursue someone like Harper because that's just crazy.

    If Harper wants to be the highest paid player in the game, fine. But any team that gives him that $300m contract has the right to expect him to be a fantastic all-around player--which he is not. If Mike Trout were a FA, the ink would be drying, by now, on a $300M+ deal. But Trout IS a fantastic player all-around. Harper hasn't signed yet, in part, because no team really wants to pay that kind of money for a guy who does nothing other than hit well. I mean, I'd love to see him at 1B for the Yankees. But I can easily understand the hesitation.

  21. #24721
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Trying to think of how 1998-99 was an all-time great offseason. Wells + for Clemens? I guess, but Wells arguably was as good or better than Clemens those first two years after the trade, and Wells was back here by 2002. Soriano's rights were technically purchased while the 1998 season was still going. And that was the offseason they dealt Mike Lowell for nothing much. What am I missing?
    I'm just looking at it at the time the offseason happened, not retrospectively. Acquiring Clemens was an amazing moment in my memory. Even though I remember being unsure about losing Wells because of how durable he was, and how much he was a fan favorite because he just loved being a Yankee, the fact was that Clemens of the '98 offseason was legitimately in the conversation of greatest pitcher to ever live and right in the middle of absurd dominance. He was coming off back to back CYA seasons in which he a combined 500 innings (!) and the selection was unanimous in '98.

    Of course the 1998 Yankees were the greatest team of all time, and here they were replacing a very good starter with literally the best pitcher of all time, who was in the middle of maybe his most supreme dominance. It was similar to the Warriors adding Durant.

    Of course he had a 4.60 ERA in his first season for the Yankees and wasn't nearly as dominant as he had been, but at the time it all went down I remember being completely overwhelmed by that move. How do you make a team that won 125 games BETTER? Go out and trade for the unquestionable best pitcher in the sport at that point. What?!?! :lo:
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  22. #24722

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    You can pick things for the Red Sox to get better at as well. They'll likely get a better offensive catcher next season (they literally can't do any worse). They'll have Pearce a full season. Devers can have a bounceback. JBJ ran into some bad luck last year (xwOBA). Ect...

    The idea isn't to close the gap. You want to put together a team to be much better on both sides of the ball. That's how you lessen the unpredictability of the playoffs. I don't want to enter the playoffs being even or slightly better, I want to enter the playoffs being a god damn juggernaut. You and every other Yankee fan should want that too. Somehow fans have bought into Hal's stance of being "good enough." No thanks Hal.
    Yea most of the comparative discussions between the Yankees and Red Sox only focus on what can go right for the Yankees and how they've improved and conversely what can go wrong for the Red Sox and how they will be worse. I know we're Yankee fans and that's the optimistic way to look at things, but being potentially on par with the top teams in the AL just increases your chances a little. At this juncture, we should be push for more than just "in the conversation" or "good enough".

    And considering the last time we went all-in on free agency was coincidentally the last time we won a championship I'm surprised to see the optimism around all the marginal upgrades that the team has made. The 2nd tier guys rarely pan out for us. The best FAs we have signed were all top guys (CC, Moose, Tanaka, Tex, Giambi, etc.). I'll take a marginal upgrade over nothing, but with bigger fish out there I think we'll regret not doing more. I hope I'm wrong.

  23. #24723
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    You can pick things for the Red Sox to get better at as well. They'll likely get a better offensive catcher next season (they literally can't do any worse). They'll have Pearce a full season. Devers can have a bounceback. JBJ ran into some bad luck last year (xwOBA). Ect...

    The idea isn't to close the gap. You want to put together a team to be much better on both sides of the ball. That's how you lessen the unpredictability of the playoffs. I don't want to enter the playoffs being even or slightly better, I want to enter the playoffs being a god damn juggernaut. You and every other Yankee fan should want that too. Somehow fans have bought into Hal's stance of being "good enough." No thanks Hal.
    I do want that. But that's not what we got.
    Cashman allocated his resources as he thought best. I don't necessarily agree with how they were allocated but on paper going into 2019 the team is still pretty damn good.



    Will it be enough to get over the hump? Only time will tell. But I'll be rooting for it one way or the other.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  24. #24724
    NYYF Legend

    ClownPickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    Over the past five years, LeMahieu has played a tiny bit at 1b, ss, and 3B. Which means he can play the positions. Given that he's an extraordinary defensive talent, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that he'll be able to handle a super-sub role (yes, even though he's never played the OF....watch for that in ST). I just wish he could hit from the left side.
    He hasn't played a position outside of 2B since 2014. Is it plausible he can still play 3B? Yes. Is it plausible he struggles playing 3B due to lack of recent experience and being on the wrong side of 30 where defense declines? Also yes.
    Calmer than you are

    7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

  25. #24725

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by keo View Post
    Over the past five years, LeMahieu has played a tiny bit at 1b, ss, and 3B. Which means he can play the positions. Given that he's an extraordinary defensive talent, it is perfectly reasonable to expect that he'll be able to handle a super-sub role (yes, even though he's never played the OF....watch for that in ST). I just wish he could hit from the left side.
    Lemahieu hasn't played any games at SS in the majors. 3 games at 1B, and 36 games at 3B in his career. Last time he played anywhere other than 2B defensively was in 2014. I wouldn't doubt he can handle 1B or 3B, but his bat is a big negative at those positions. Abbey posted an article the other day in which Jim Hendry, who drafted Lemahieu, feels he can handle all 4 positions defensively.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Thread Information

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts