+ Reply to Thread
Page 160 of 211 FirstFirst ... 60 110 150 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 170 210 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 5258
  1. #3976

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jburke View Post
    He repeatedly said he plans to stay under the cap this year?
    Until they go over the salary cap, I think it is a fair assumption that they are trying to stay under. They certainly did last season. They are under the salary cap because they specifically planned to be under the salary cap. You cannot argue they aren't concerned about the salary cap until they exceed it, imo.

  2. #3977

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Yanks need a LH bat.

    Perhaps Schwarber could be had for Gray and he can DH while Stanton plays left or Schwarber can play some 1B.

    He would mash at YS.

  3. #3978
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    Until they go over the salary cap, I think it is a fair assumption that they are trying to stay under. They certainly did last season. They are under the salary cap because they specifically planned to be under the salary cap. You cannot argue they aren't concerned about the salary cap until they exceed it, imo.
    So is the Yankee true agenda to field a good, competitive team that stays under the cap tax and success is simply determined by the team making the post season and fans filling the seats? Because though I believe that the Yankees want to win the World Series, I just donít see them being fully committed to that goal.

  4. #3979
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    So is the Yankee true agenda to field a good, competitive team that stays under the cap tax and success is simply determined by the team making the post season and fans filling the seats? Because though I believe that the Yankees want to win the World Series, I just donít see them being fully committed to that goal.
    Agreed. You can put together a pretty darn good team while staying under the cap, a team that can regularly compete for the wild card or win a weak division. Then if they get hot at the right time, they can win a championship. What you canít do is put together a powerhouse.

  5. #3980

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    So is the Yankee true agenda to field a good, competitive team that stays under the cap tax and success is simply determined by the team making the post season and fans filling the seats? Because though I believe that the Yankees want to win the World Series, I just donít see them being fully committed to that goal.
    I have no idea. Maybe they realize they will still profit and sell tickets by being wildcard contenders for the foreseeable future. Seems to me the kids don't have the same passion for winning as George did. For better or worse, I think if George was still running the show both Machado and Harper (and Corbin) would be in pinstripes by December. Instead, I would be shocked if we signed more than one of them and not at all surprised to sign none of them.

  6. #3981

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    So is the Yankee true agenda to field a good, competitive team that stays under the cap tax and success is simply determined by the team making the post season and fans filling the seats? Because though I believe that the Yankees want to win the World Series, I just donít see them being fully committed to that goal.
    I agree. Hal like every other owner would love to win a World Series. They unfortunately differ in their commitment to obtain that goal. George like John Henry respectfully was and is fully committed to win regardless of the cost to do so. Hal on the other hand has shown an alarming resistance to fully fund the necessary dollars required to bring a World Series Championship to NY. No reasonable fan can question that reality.

  7. #3982
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Yeah, the goal has been to get under the cap. I don't think I've head much "so we can sign some big names...." coming after it.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  8. #3983

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Yanks need a LH bat.

    Perhaps Schwarber could be had for Gray and he can DH while Stanton plays left or Schwarber can play some 1B.

    He would mash at YS.
    Donít want him. Just another low average high K hitter
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

  9. #3984
    Quote Originally Posted by yank4life2005 View Post
    Yanks need a LH bat.

    Perhaps Schwarber could be had for Gray and he can DH while Stanton plays left or Schwarber can play some 1B.

    He would mash at YS.
    Letís throw in Torreyes and we can get Kris Bryant while weíre at it.

  10. #3985

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Iíve never seen so many post mortems written before Thanksgiving. Itís still early November for goodness sakes. JD Martinez didnít sign with the Red Sox last year until February 26.

  11. #3986
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Iíve never seen so many post mortems written before Thanksgiving. Itís still early November for goodness sakes. JD Martinez didnít sign with the Red Sox last year until February 26.
    it's because all of these players are getting signed so fast...

    oh wait, no they aren't.

  12. #3987

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Offseason Goals

    1. Retain coaching staff
    2. Retain Gardner
    3. Retain CC
    4. Sign Lavarnway

    Everything is going just as planned. We have to be the favorites now.
    Nicely done.

  13. #3988

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    it's because all of these players are getting signed so fast...

    oh wait, no they aren't.
    It's because we know what we've been told for years, and what cashman has been saying.


    Gardner is our starting LF, if he isn't. Who is?

  14. #3989
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    If Gardner was re-signed to be the teams 4th OF, where exactly does big contract/hard to trade Ellsbury and who knows what we have in Frazier, fit in? I canít see Frazier spending another year at AAA unless he truly cannot recover from his concussion issues.

  15. #3990
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    If Gardner was re-signed to be the teams 4th OF, where exactly does big contract/hard to trade Ellsbury and who knows what we have in Frazier, fit in? I can’t see Frazier spending another year at AAA unless he truly cannot recover from his concussion issues.
    The same spot he was in last year. Frazier needs to prove he's better than Gardner, and then perhaps he can have his job. That's a big IF. Also, it's a big IF Frazier survives the offseason (trade bait).

  16. #3991

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by willwillx View Post
    It's because we know what we've been told for years, and what cashman has been saying.


    Gardner is our starting LF, if he isn't. Who is?
    someone not on the team? Giancarlo Stanton? Frazier?


    Frazier has to prove he's healthy but remember he was mashing when he was sent back down.

  17. #3992

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    If Gardner was re-signed to be the teams 4th OF, where exactly does big contract/hard to trade Ellsbury and who knows what we have in Frazier, fit in? I canít see Frazier spending another year at AAA unless he truly cannot recover from his concussion issues.
    If both healthy, Frazier and Ellsbury in spring training will show who is or isn't ready to be on the ML roster. If they're both having good spring trainings that is a good problem to have.

  18. #3993

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AllRise View Post
    Until they go over the salary cap, I think it is a fair assumption that they are trying to stay under. They certainly did last season. They are under the salary cap because they specifically planned to be under the salary cap. You cannot argue they aren't concerned about the salary cap until they exceed it, imo.



    So you're saying they should not hold out for better deals? see what the market is for them? So lets go sign Harper and corbin and Manny now and get over the cap on NOV 9TH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Just to show people we went over lol sad..... Because they have not spent millions on NOV 9th come on

  19. #3994

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    They WILL go over the cap I'm just not sure its going to be for the one everyone on here thinks we can't win the WS without for tho (harper).

  20. #3995
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    I want Harper more than probably anyone here.. but if we get Kluber or Carrasco in a trade + sign Corbin or Happ, the Yankees are winning the division
    I've gotta imagine that a trade with the Indians would require Andujar, so you'd have to add Machado or Donaldson to that wish list or risk a hole at 3B.

  21. #3996
    NYYF Legend

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    I don't think anyone is saying they should have signed big market multiyear megabucks contracts by November 9th. I read it more as a reaction to the team's expressed resistance to exceeding the luxury tax threshold as we enter the free agent and hot stove season. We'll see what happens, but so far the signs point to relatively conservative spending.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  22. #3997

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    if Frazier is on the team still after the off season is over and healthy, he has to get his shot right? How many years can we keep wasting him in AAA without giving him a shot?

    This is also assuming they do nothing else for LF.

  23. #3998
    NYYF Legend

    smckdwn989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    58.77 Miles From The Stadium

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying they should have signed big market multiyear megabucks contracts by November 9th. I read it more as a reaction to the team's expressed resistance to exceeding the luxury tax threshold as we enter the free agent and hot stove season. We'll see what happens, but so far the signs point to relatively conservative spending.
    Patrick Corbin is going to get in excess of 100M dollars, I wouldn't call that conservative spending. I think the Yankees are going to be very active and very aggressive. It doesn't suit the Yankees well to tip their hand in how they will approach this offseason.

  24. #3999
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    San Diego

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying they should have signed big market multiyear megabucks contracts by November 9th. I read it more as a reaction to the team's expressed resistance to exceeding the luxury tax threshold as we enter the free agent and hot stove season. We'll see what happens, but so far the signs point to relatively conservative spending.

  25. #4000

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    if Frazier is on the team still after the off season is over and healthy, he has to get his shot right? How many years can we keep wasting him in AAA without giving him a shot?

    This is also assuming they do nothing else for LF.
    Yeah I would think so, some type of split between Gardy and Frazier. Wouldnt be the worst, but Frazier's health and Gardner's age/health/lack of production would worry me alot.

Thread Information

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts