+ Reply to Thread
Page 805 of 1221 FirstFirst ... 305 705 755 795 802 803 804 805 806 807 808 815 855 905 ... LastLast
Results 20,101 to 20,125 of 30523

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    OK, let me change my comment - I know that Tomas' salary counts against the salary budget for CBT purposes.

If it was true, Tomas would have been traded by now in what is suggested.
    Actually, I'm not absolutely certain but I think this is incorrect. I think for deals signed prior to the last CBA players outrighted and off the 40 man do not count for CBT unless they are added back.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Actually, I'm not absolutely certain but I think this is incorrect. I think for deals signed prior to the last CBA players outrighted and off the 40 man do not count for CBT unless they are added back.
    Yes, I read that as well.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong (because I don't know), but what is the difference between Tomas and Castillo's case regarding tax? You said Tomas counts but according to Cots Castillo does not count against Boston payroll so what in the world???
    Good question - there are two possibilities, IMO.

First, Castillo was outrighted in 2016, which would have been the old CBA, while Tomas was outrighted in 2018 under the current CBA. Did something change?

Second, Castillo could not reject the outright (less than three years service time), while Tomas could have rejected the assignment (had three years service time) and become a free agent.

In this case, I really don't know - to be honest, I have thought that Castillo was part of the reason that the Red Sox were so far over the thresholds.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    Yes, I read that as well.
    I found the following on a Fansided site for the Dodgers:

https://dodgersway.com/2018/05/14/do...y-tax-dilemma/

The $189,446,354 payroll represents players who are or have been on the 40-man roster and disabled list this season to include players optioned to the minors, as well as payments owed to Adrian Gonzalez, Andre Ethier, Hector Olivera, Luis Avilan, and players’ benefit payments. Players that were outrighted (removed from the 40-man roster) to the minors before this CBA, such as Erisbel Arruebarrena and Yaisel Sierra, do not count unless they are added back to the 40-man roster.
    If this statement is correct, it would explain why Castillo (outrighted under the old CBA in 2016) would not count - note, however, that it does not say signed under the old CBA, but outrighted. If the statement is correct, then Tomas would still count, as his outrighting to the minors occurred on April 2, 2018.

Obviously there is more to this matter than I know of, so I withdraw my definitive statement - still, I have difficulty with the logic that, if an outrighted player counts for the CBT tax on one team's budget and is traded, he would no longer count against the CBT budget for the team that acquired him.

I also found this article on Castillo that clearly states he was off the CBT budget by being outrighted - https://www.overthemonster.com/2016/...s-trade-budget - on that manner, I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    I would be good with those pitching prospects.
    Santillian or Gutierrez, Mella not so much.

NYYF Triple Crown

https://nypost.com/2016/08/29/yankee...site%20buttons

Yankees look to refinance $1B debt from new stadium

Steinbrenner, 46, has been making moves to improve the team’s finances since taking the helm in 2008.

“He’s always looking for ways to cut expenses,” without hurting the marquee franchise, said the source.

NYYF Legend

I found the following language in the MLB CBA that seems to explain the situation with Castillo and Tomas. It is part of Article XXIII, which is the Competitive Balance Section (page 115 in the PDF version at http://www.mlbplayers.com/pdf9/5450407.pdf).

(f) Outright Assignment to a Minor League club
    Any Uniform Player’s Contract that is assigned outright to a
    Minor League club during the term of this Agreement shall be
    included in the Club’s Actual Club Payroll. Any Uniform
    Player’s Contract that was assigned outright to a Minor League
    club prior to the effective date of this Agreement shall be
    excluded from Actual Club Payroll; provided, however, that if
    any Uniform Player’s Contract that was assigned outright to a
    Minor League club prior to this Agreement is subsequently
    selected to a Club’s 40-man roster, the entire remaining Salary
    under that Uniform Player’s Contract shall be included in Actual
    Club Payroll, even if the Player is thereafter assigned outright to
    a Minor League club.
    The first sentence clearly states that a Uniform Player's Contract (the manner in which a Major League contract is referred to in the CBA) of a player who is outrighted during the term of the current CBA, which was effective December 1, 2016, would count against the Actual Club Payroll. Yasmany Tomas was outrighted by the Diamondbacks on April 2, 2018 per the MLB transactions website, so his contract would count against the Actual Club Payroll for CBT purposes.

The second sentence EXCLUDES those Uniform Player's Contracts that were outrighted PRIOR to the current CBA - Rusney Castillo was outrighted to the minors on June 20, 2016 or about five months before the current CBA went into effect. But for those five months, the Red Sox would have to count Castillo as well.

NYYF Legend

I'm getting the feeling that Philly is legitimately going for both Harper and Machado. Not just for show, or hoping to go hard for both and end up with one, but truly attempting to sign both of them.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that Philly is legitimately going for both Harper and Machado. Not just for show, or hoping to go hard for both and end up with one, but truly attempting to sign both of them.
    That would both crazy if they end up getting both. Because I also think that they are going to be all-in to Trout when he's FA.

Harper, Trout, Machado on the same team. Now that's some stupid (and great) money their owner is talking about.

I'm still hoping that the Yankees are playing coy in negotiations and will sign Machado.

What will occur first? Sonny gets traded or Manny signs somewhere?

NYYF Legend

I've been on a rollercoaster ride for over 2 months now re: Machado and Harper. I started the offseason saying the Yanks didn't need either, especially at the salaries they'd be commanding. I thought it was unnecessary to have about 15% of the total team payroll tied to just one player. Especially for 10 years or more. I also think the Yanks have a very potent offense and can easily produce 5-6 runs a game without either FA. The type of hitters the Yankee offense needs, IMO, are good contact, good OBP guys, and LH hitters in general. (I know Harper checks all these boxes, but there were other guys available that would also check these boxes - for a lot less money.

After they addressed their starting rotation and I started realizing these two guys were asking for more than what they're being offered, then I started warming up to the idea of signing either one. Perhaps the Yanks could get them at a lower AAV than what was originally expected. Putting either one into the heart of the lineup sure seems like it will be Murderers Row all over again.

Well, now I'm to the point of not really caring if neither one signs with the Yanks - I trust that Cashman will still get some role players to strengthen this club before Feb 13th.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

What makes you think that? I can't see them spending that much combined.

This saga is going into ST, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post

I doubt it, some guys will not sign until then but the big guys like Manny and Bryce will have a home before spring training opens, I am quite sure of that..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Harper is going to the Phillies or Nationals. Pretty certain of that. And I bet the Phillies are telling him they will also sign Machado to compliment him in the lineup.

NYYF Triple Crown

Why Manny Machado’s HS coach thinks he’ll pick White Sox, spurn Yankees; defends work ethic

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/01/w...ork-ethic.html

“He’s been a Yankees fan his whole life,” Lazaro Fundora said in a phone interview Thursday night. “Anybody would like to wear those pinstripes, would love to play with the Yankees. I think that’s definitely up there. But as far as where he could play shortstop, for instance, that’s why I think the White Sox could be it.”

Bob Nightengale

Verified account

@BNightengale
    Following
    Following @BNightengale

More
    Austin Romine and #Yankees settle on $1.8 million contract

Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee01 View Post
    Harper is going to the Phillies or Nationals. Pretty certain of that. And I bet the Phillies are telling him they will also sign Machado to compliment him in the lineup.
    Based on what the rumors are and what the Nats have already put on the table, I think he's staying here. The Lerners have plenty of money and no aversion to spending.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    Why Manny Machado’s HS coach thinks he’ll pick White Sox, spurn Yankees; defends work ethic

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2019/01/w...ork-ethic.html

“He’s been a Yankees fan his whole life,” Lazaro Fundora said in a phone interview Thursday night. “Anybody would like to wear those pinstripes, would love to play with the Yankees. I think that’s definitely up there. But as far as where he could play shortstop, for instance, that’s why I think the White Sox could be it.”
    Ummm...he can play SS here until Didi returns.

It kind of feels that way to me , too.
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Ummm...he can play SS here until Didi returns.
    Nope. Cash gave the job to Tulo already.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule2000 View Post
    Nope. Cash gave the job to Tulo already.
    Right, he's shown he can be durable for a whole season.

It wouldnt surprise me at this point.

Thread Information