+ Reply to Thread
Page 1159 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 159 659 1059 1109 1149 1156 1157 1158 1159
Results 28,951 to 28,971 of 28971
  1. #28951
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I hated that Cashman comment for trying to be funny, but they’re still a fully operational Death Star ready to strike.
    At this point, they look to me like a pretty darn good team. Not more.

  2. #28952
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Now THIS is annoying. Basically the Yankees are pissing on us and telling us it's raining.

    Revenues are through the roof. It costs hundreds of dollars to go to a game. I simply don't want to hear you lie to me and tell me that the Yankees, the #1 generator of revenue in the sport, can't keep up with the spending that Boston does. Boston spent $60 million more than you in payroll last year, supposedly so you could spend big this offseason. That was a blatant lie. We patiently waited out the rebuild for this moment and you sat on your hands, fed us lip service, feigned interest, and failed when it came time to finish it in a big way.
    You do know we had to reset the luxury tax last year for this year because we were paying 50% extra (this is what I hate). We closed that gap. I have more issues on where we spent the money rather than the amount. Hopefully I got the numbers correct - I voted we would spend above 206 and below 246.

    2019

    BoSox 232.3M
    Yankees 218.4

    difference is only 13.9M

    We have to look at keeping our young core. Right now I want Didi for 5 years and Betrances for 3 and wait on Hicks and Judge is big. Boston has their ACE Sale which is a lot bigger problem. They tried to extend Betts because he is getting 20M in arbitration but couldn't (FA 2021).

    ME. The problem is the luxury tax and putting the value of the player.
    Last edited by bucky; Today at 12:51 PM. Reason: add stuff waiting for the game to start

  3. #28953

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    At this point, they look to me like a pretty darn good team. Not more.
    Is there a team beyond being a darn good team this year?

  4. #28954

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    David Lennon

    Verified account

    @DPLennon

    “Every dollar affects somebody else’s dollar. Simple as that.” - Brian Cashman.

    Probably not something you’re used to hearing from #Yankees, but it sums up team’s approach during this Machado-Harper winter

  5. #28955

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Is there a team beyond being a darn good team this year?
    No, not really. But the Yankees easily could’ve been that team.

  6. #28956

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    David Lennon

    Verified account

    @DPLennon

    “Every dollar affects somebody else’s dollar. Simple as that.” - Brian Cashman.

    Probably not something you’re used to hearing from #Yankees, but it sums up team’s approach during this Machado-Harper winter
    https://nypost.com/2019/02/23/brian-...in-todays-mlb/

    Brian Cashman: George Steinbrenner couldn’t sign every star in today’s MLB

    “Those days are gone. The whole industry is different. That’s like four Basic Agreements ago, it seems like. We have revenue-sharing and stadium-funding since we moved into the new stadium that we’re paying a big bill on,’’ said Cashman, who has to be numb to the belief that The Boss would have been able to run the current Yankees like he did before rules were introduced to curb spending by large-market teams, which also includes the Red Sox and Dodgers. “Listen, you can burn the candle on both ends, but the system that we’re operating on today is completely different than the one that [Steinbrenner] had free reign on. And most of all, the preventive measures that have been put in were because of George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees. … The game now rewards — reward might not be the right word — but it rewards losing.’’

  7. #28957

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I understand that some of us that are unhappy with the Yankee front office and/or ownership likes to disparage the media for not supporting their displeasure with the Yankees acquisitions this winter. However, I thought Cashman's comments below were fair about a segment of the Yankee fanbase that is unhappy. Yankee fans in general don't care about profit margins, they care about winning and having the best team assembled which this winter meant acquiring Machado and/or Harper.
    I think we all know there’s information we don’t have, it’s a little condescending though to say that with the information we do have, we don’t know what we’re talking about. Still he is the GM and a lot of people are getting paid to get the best information possible, so as fans when they do something that contradicts widely available information, that’s fine, but they better be right. You can’t not tell me why and expect me to sympathize with you when it blows up in your face. I really hope it works out, but with the information I have I think there’s a lot reason to question some of the things they’ve done. Especially when they’re doing some things (stacking the bullpen with high priced relievers) that other organizations (also with a lot of information we don’t have) are not prioritizing. We’ll see, I like this team, I just don’t like it as much as I could’ve. Excited and nervous for this year and not ready to give them my money.

  8. #28958

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    https://nypost.com/2019/02/23/brian-...in-todays-mlb/

    Brian Cashman: George Steinbrenner couldn’t sign every star in today’s MLB

    “Those days are gone. The whole industry is different. That’s like four Basic Agreements ago, it seems like. We have revenue-sharing and stadium-funding since we moved into the new stadium that we’re paying a big bill on,’’ said Cashman, who has to be numb to the belief that The Boss would have been able to run the current Yankees like he did before rules were introduced to curb spending by large-market teams, which also includes the Red Sox and Dodgers. “Listen, you can burn the candle on both ends, but the system that we’re operating on today is completely different than the one that [Steinbrenner] had free reign on. And most of all, the preventive measures that have been put in were because of George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees. … The game now rewards — reward might not be the right word — but it rewards losing.’’
    What I’ve been saying all offseason. Truly sad. But why there needs to be change and probably a strike.

  9. #28959

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    It does look like a pretty darn good team. Hopefully, Andujar's defense has improved and Luke Voit is not Shane Spencer.

  10. #28960
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    What I’ve been saying all offseason. Truly sad. But why there needs to be change and probably a strike.
    In a system of Salary restrictions if you are not winning you are better off losing big... Being somewhere in between is going sideways.

  11. #28961

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankyfan View Post
    In a system of Salary restrictions if you are not winning you are better off losing big... Being somewhere in between is going sideways.
    The rewards he's talking about though are not just draft picks and competitive rewards that better position you long term to win a championship. Its financial rewards and profitability. So winning is almost directly in opposition to running a more profitable business which is the most backwards system you'll ever see.

  12. #28962

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I think we all know there’s information we don’t have, it’s a little condescending though to say that with the information we do have, we don’t know what we’re talking about. Still he is the GM and a lot of people are getting paid to get the best information possible, so as fans when they do something that contradicts widely available information, that’s fine, but they better be right. You can’t not tell me why and expect me to sympathize with you when it blows up in your face. I really hope it works out, but with the information I have I think there’s a lot reason to question some of the things they’ve done. Especially when they’re doing some things (stacking the bullpen with high priced relievers) that other organizations (also with a lot of information we don’t have) are not prioritizing. We’ll see, I like this team, I just don’t like it as much as I could’ve. Excited and nervous for this year and not ready to give them my money.
    So you think the following Cashman comments are condescending? I see nothing wrong with what he said below. As to your point about not giving them your money. That's your choice and I have nothing else to say on that matter.


    In fairness to people out there, they don’t have all of the information. I can’t judge them for that, because they’re operating on a lack of information and they’re also emotionally attached and involved. I think if they were in a better position to get all the data points, they’d understand everything.’’

  13. #28963

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    What I’ve been saying all offseason. Truly sad. But why there needs to be change and probably a strike.
    That's a problem affecting MLB and NBA and to a certain degree the NFL.

  14. #28964

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    IMO, Cashman made a mistake not getting more infield backup help. He could've easily signed Iglesias just in case Tulo doesn't work out which is my opinion is what's going to happen as I little faith in Tulo.

  15. #28965
    The Death Star is Sputtering
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    So we would have:

    OF: Judge, Hicks, Stanton, Harper, Gardner, Frazier, Wade
    DH: Andujar, Judge, Stanton, Harper, Sanchez (For the most part rotating)
    1B: Voit, Bird, Harper, Andujar, DJL

    I feel like that would be cluttered a bit. Every game we would need to sit an impact hitter.
    A combination of injuries and Cashman’s direction to give starters regular rest would ensure no issues with getting Harper playing time. I don’t see guys like Frazier, Wade, Bird or Gardner as blocking Harper from anything.

    The reality is, Harper isn’t coming here because they don’t want to spend the money it will take to make that happen, so it’s a moot point. But time will prove that this was a badly missed opportunity and a huge mistake on Hal’s / Cashman’s part.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  16. #28966
    The Best Ever ! jnewmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Stax 1966

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    A combination of injuries and Cashman’s direction to give starters regular rest would ensure no issues with getting Harper playing time. I don’t see guys like Frazier, Wade, Bird or Gardner as blocking Harper from anything.

    The reality is, Harper isn’t coming here because they don’t want to spend the money it will take to make that happen, so it’s a moot point. But time will prove that this was a badly missed opportunity and a huge mistake on Hal’s / Cashman’s part.

    I'm curious as to how you think that will be proven ? If the Yankees don't win a WS in the next 10 years, assuming Harper gets a 10 year deal, does that prove it was all because they didn't get Harper ? Or, say the Yankees win at least one WS, if not more, will you still feel the same ?
    More people have walked on the moon than have scored an earned run off of Mariano Rivera in the postseason.

  17. #28967
    NYYF Legend

    JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Still under the unfinished breezeway

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Listening to 15 minutes of the Red Sox broadcast on MLB of the first Yankee Spring Training game has increased my anger at the Yankee's failures this offseason a hundred fold.

    Such a waste of a winter.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

    Only words, and then your thoughts.

  18. #28968
    Ageist/sexist Jburke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Out East

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    I'm curious as to how you think that will be proven ? If the Yankees don't win a WS in the next 10 years, assuming Harper gets a 10 year deal, does that prove it was all because they didn't get Harper ? Or, say the Yankees win at least one WS, if not more, will you still feel the same ?
    I think if we go another 10 years without a WS win, and Machado or Harper put up numbers that are expected of them--we can all agree that it was a mistake to pass on these guys.
    Fully operational Death Star

  19. #28969
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    IMO, Cashman made a mistake not getting more infield backup help. He could've easily signed Iglesias just in case Tulo doesn't work out which is my opinion is what's going to happen as I little faith in Tulo.
    Do you think there's a big difference @ SS if Wade's out there instead of Iglesias? In a microcosm, this is what's changing in baseball. Why pay an average player a couple of million dollars when you can pay a prospect minimum salary and get similar production.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  20. #28970
    Ageist/sexist Jburke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Out East

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Listening to 15 minutes of the Red Sox broadcast on MLB of the first Yankee Spring Training game has increased my anger at the Yankee's failures this offseason a hundred fold.

    Such a waste of a winter.
    Wait until the playoffs or wild card play in game when we are going to war with DJL instead of Machado or Harper.
    Fully operational Death Star

  21. #28971
    The Death Star is Sputtering
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Earth

    Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    I'm curious as to how you think that will be proven ? If the Yankees don't win a WS in the next 10 years, assuming Harper gets a 10 year deal, does that prove it was all because they didn't get Harper ? Or, say the Yankees win at least one WS, if not more, will you still feel the same ?
    When you play half of your games in YSIII, and a 26-year-old LH hitter with elite power and OBP becomes available to you for nothing but money, you pursue that. Especially when your lineup is lacking in those areas.

    Instead, Yank-Jazeera and the Yankee spin machine are already talking up the “new and improved” Greg Bird and his “badly-needed LH bat” before he’s played a single game yet. LOL
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 93 users browsing this thread. (15 members and 78 guests)

  1. Talontsi98
  2. Bill Marsh
  3. hardrain
  4. Yankyfan
  5. Poppingtags
  6. Jace
  7. MLB_Legends3457
  8. MyBoysKaosHavoK
  9. BigYankeeUnit
  10. False1
  11. NYYPride4Life
  12. jnewmark
  13. Ken711

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts