+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    This feast or famine approach has been obvious for the last two years. And also now for the last two years we were beaten by teams that had aggressive balanced attacks that were not dependent on the home runs.

Let's face it the Yanks could make no changes and likely bash there way into the playoffs again. But that style leads to too many run droughts in the playoffs when the homers don't come.
    Been that way for years now. Lineups that are built for fantasy. Tear up bad pitchers and feast in the regular season. Then when they have to face tough pitching, it's hard to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Paul O'Neill is pretty much echoing our comments. The lineup is too feast or famine. Lack of balance in the lineup.
    I hate when people say this line up is feast or famine. There is no Feast. Every single player in this line up os so streaky that it has a powerball chance of all coming together. Iíd bet without even looking that 97 Mariner team had more 10+ run games, higher AVG, Higher OBP, and way more runs. This team is the king of the solo home run and standing guys on base.

Devoted Member

Some of these suggestions are crazy.

Aaron Boone made mistakes this year, but what did you expect? Heís never managed, or coached, in any capacity. He was always going to take his lumps.

I mean Aaron Hicks was 2 feet away from the same questions being asked to Cora about leaving Porcello in.

You donít move Andujar or Torres. Andujar may wind up being a middle of the order bat for us. I like the way he handles the bat far more than Stanton or Gary, who I bet will be slotted right into 4 and 5 next year...

I donít know what to do with the lineup construction. Itís so heavy with RHH and similar styles - HR or bust. Not sure if Voit is Spencer 2.0 but he showed an ability to handle the bat a little more than Stanton and Gary.

No idea what you do with Didi and Hicks. Resign them? Sure, but there are better options. Manny Machado is a game changer. Problem is heís another RHH slotted for the middle of the order. The Yankees may need to work towards some flexibility by moving a few guys. But you canít have a 1-9 with RHH power hitters.

Thatís a ton on the lineup, considering this team needs SP...badly. I expect Severino to continue to grow and be better. His early postseason results scare me.

Tanaka is still a fine 3/4. JA Happ is a fine 4/5. But this tr needs another top of the line guy. Maybe Justice is that guy? Asking that of a rookie is a lot.

I dunno. This team needs change, but the right change. Itís goinf to be very tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Blame Andujar for his defense, but offensively heís one of the few guys on the team that can really hit and not just HRs. Blaming him for our offense being stopped is absurd, he had a bad postseason but the guy was one of our best and most clutch hitters all year and heís not a Cashman prototype player so he brings a different dimension to the lineup
    Your points on hitting are why some GM out there can't wait to trade for him. You take that and package him for PITCHING as soon as possible, before that teams realizes that guys who see 3 pitches per at bat don't make great lineups, no matter how many doubles they hit with no one on base.

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Next year on this date, he'll be 30. How much more do you expect him to develop?

Add that to his brittleness and I wouldn't give him an extension at gunpoint.
    358 days from now he will still be 29. Who can we get to play CF that is better than he is?

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Paul O'Neill is pretty much echoing our comments. The lineup is too feast or famine. Lack of balance in the lineup.
    Yes, but also itís a different game today with shifts killing batting averages. Only 16 qualified players were .300 hitters this year. That said I wish we scouted Stanton a bit more thoroughly. I think there wouldíve been a good case to pass and instead go for JD who is far and away a much more complete hitter. Or trade for Yellich. I think the price was too good to pass even though the fit is clearly not great based on what weíve seen thus far.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Been that way for years now. Lineups that are built for fantasy. Tear up bad pitchers and feast in the regular season. Then when they have to face tough pitching, it's hard to watch.
    I mean last year the Yankees put up fantastic nights against Corey Kluber, Trevor Bauer, Dallas Keuchel, etc in the postseason. They also had tremendous success against David Price this year.

The Yankees struggle against strike throwers. Guys that pound the zone give us issues. And thatís because the Yankees struggle to string hits together. All season long they struggled to get a hit in big situations, that wasnít a Torres or Stanton HR. Need to find a way to get that in the middle of the order...a true run producer that can get bat on ball.

We may have that already in Andujar, honestly.

NYYF Legend

Oh lord, the season is over, and they STILL can't stop playing that Corazůn commercial!

I don't CARE if she died!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bomb View Post
    I hate when people say this line up is feast or famine. There is no Feast. Every single player in this line up os so streaky that it has a powerball chance of all coming together. I’d bet without even looking that 97 Mariner team had more 10+ run games, higher AVG, Higher OBP, and way more runs. This team is the king of the solo home run and standing guys on base.
    Ha ha, you looked didn't you. You would have hit on all 4 bets. In 10-run games the M's only won narrowly, 19-18, but they did win.

Of course those Mariners came to an early and bad end in the playoffs as well.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Yes, but also itís a different game today with shifts killing batting averages. Only 16 qualified players were .300 hitters this year. That said I wish we scouted Stanton a bit more thoroughly. I think there wouldíve been a good case to pass and instead go for JD who is far and away a much more complete hitter. Or trade for Yellich. I think the price was too good to pass even though the fit is clearly not great based on what weíve seen thus far.
    That was the move to make.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Oh lord, the season is over, and they STILL can't stop playing that Corazůn commercial!

But she doesn't WANT to die!

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeter99 View Post
    358 days from now he will still be 29. Who can we get to play CF that is better than he is?
    If Stanton and Judge are playing the OF, then Inwant Hicks sandwiched between them. His injury issues are concerning. It really depends on the deal. I would be hesitant to sign him to a long term deal. The same with Didi.

I think both will have plenty of offers with years, which is what could get the Yankees in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    I mean last year the Yankees put up fantastic nights against Corey Kluber, Trevor Bauer, Dallas Keuchel, etc in the postseason. They also had tremendous success against David Price this year.

The Yankees struggle against strike throwers. Guys that pound the zone give us issues. And thatís because the Yankees struggle to string hits together. All season long they struggled to get a hit in big situations, that wasnít a Torres or Stanton HR. Need to find a way to get that in the middle of the order...a true run producer that can get bat on ball.

Agreed. Also Machado.

If this organization is going to be hyper-vigilante about the luxury tax, then the Yanks have a major problem bc this organization cannot develop pitching. They haven't developed one since Andy Pettite. Severino will not improve unless serious changes are made in regards to those responsible for developing pitching. This problem (cannot develop pitching) could be somewhat masked when George was willing to spend any amount. But not under current ownership. Unless they go on a spending spree, I fear the Yanks could regress if they don't get rid of Rothschild and others responsible for this putrid pitching "development"!

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    It probably would have cost us Andujar and/or Torres, with a P throw in we all are exited about in the system.

I think a lot of people are really underestimating Andujarís potential as a middle of the order bat.

He looks like a .300 hitter with pop, and a keen ability to drive in runs. Heís also a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

You have to read the paper. I don't want to die! This ad has been going on for 6 months now!

Maybe I drank too much, but did you see on the post-game how CC blasted Angel Hernandez? I thought it was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Bet he didn't even inquire about him when talking to the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Your points on hitting are why some GM out there can't wait to trade for him. You take that and package him for PITCHING as soon as possible, before that teams realizes that guys who see 3 pitches per at bat don't make great lineups, no matter how many doubles they hit with no one on base.
    My point is that heís our best contact hitter and he combines that with power so his bat plays in modern baseball even if he doesnít shown improved zone judgment. Put him in an RBI spot in the lineup and he will drive in runs with men in scoring position something our team struggles with. We got killed the past 2 games by pitchers that knew how to throw strikes and pound the zone, thatís our weakness is when pitchers challenge this lineup to string together hits they just canít do it. But letís get rid of one of the guys that can play in that role.

And what pitcher are you realistically trading him for? Iím not seeing a good target that gives us a much better chance to win, but the defensive question marks around him make it at least something you think about if the right guy comes around. Just donít blame our offensive struggles on him, he was probably our offensive MVP this year.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    If this organization is going to be hyper-vigilante about the luxury tax, then the Yanks have a major problem bc this organization cannot develop pitching. They haven't developed one since Andy Pettite. Severino will not improve unless serious changes are made in regards to those responsible for developing pitching. This problem (cannot develop pitching) could be somewhat masked when George was willing to spend any amount. But not under current ownership. Unless they go on a spending spree, I fear the Yanks could regress if they don't get rid of Rothschild and others responsible for this putrid pitching "development"!
    This is crazy.

3/4 years heís been in the big leagues, Severino has been dynamite and a true #1.

Maybe the Yankees do struggle to develop starting pitching, but Severino is not a good example to use for proving your point.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by poneil2321 View Post
    I don't think Rothschild helps develop or improve these guys. If he does I'm not seeing it.

I think Severino is really good. Can't ignore his great start. But something happened, either injury, fatigue or mechanical/tipping pitches. Or a combination.

I think with work he's got potential to be good all year long.

You beat me to it. Spot on.

Devoted Member

My point is that heís our best contact hitter and he combines that with power so his bat plays in modern baseball even if he doesnít shown improved zone judgment. Put him in an RBI spot in the lineup and he will drive in runs with men in scoring position something our team struggles with. We got killed the past 2 games by pitchers that knew how to throw strikes and pound the zone, thatís our weakness is when pitchers challenge this lineup to string together hits they just canít do it. But letís get rid of one of the guys that can play in that role.

And what pitcher are you realistically trading him for? Iím not seeing a good target that gives us a much better chance to win, but the defensive question marks around him make it at least something you think about if the right guy comes around. Just donít blame our offensive struggles on him, he was probably our offensive MVP this year.
    Yup.

And heís 23. Whatís to say he canít imorove his defense? Seemed far better than it was made out when he came up. He has some solid hands. Donít see why he canít improve with time.

Plus, Stanton could easily move to LF and open up the DH. Again, thatís crazy talk because heís a 23 year old kid, but an option.

Andujar wonít be, but he absolutely should be hitting in the middle of our order in 2019. Heís going to wind up being one of, if not, the best hitters on the team.

NYYF Legend

Yeah, that's why I chuckle at this "trade Andujar" stuff. Whether you want to DH him, or keep coaching him up at 3B in hopes he'll at least become functional there, or find him another position, he is one of the few bats I DON'T consider trading. He's the one certified "slasher" in the lineup. If you want to diversify the lineup, why trade your most diversifying element?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Yeah, that's why I chuckle at this "trade Andujar" stuff. Whether you want to DH him, or keep coaching him up at 3B in hopes he'll at least become functional there, or find him another position, he is one of the few bats I DON'T consider trading. He's the one certified "slasher" in the lineup. If you want to diversify the lineup, why trade your most diversifying element?
    I'm pretty sure the whole team has been traded or dfa and the entire coaching staff, gm fired and ownership forced to sell if you combine a few posts tonight.

Thread Information