+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 432 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 68 118 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    How about this?

Machado 3B

Andujar LF

Clint Frazier goes as part of a deal for a starting pitcher.

If trading Stanton was realistic, Andujar could be the DH.
    Machado 3B
    Stanton LF
    Andujar 1B

DH rotates

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @GeorgeAKingIII
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Unlike last year when the Yankees didn’t bring back several coaches all of Aaron Boone’s staff is expected back for the 2019 season.
    Cashman is a bad joke that keeps on giving. Stubborn stubborn man.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

@GeorgeAKingIII
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Unlike last year when the Yankees didn’t bring back several coaches all of Aaron Boone’s staff is expected back for the 2019 season.
    GeorgeKing reported it, therefore it's not true. Please tell me it's not true. Larry needs to go.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Cashman is a bad joke that keeps on giving. Stubborn stubborn man.
    they're all puppets anyway... why clean house when you have them by the balls?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Calls a tool a tool

Just to add on here....if they go all the way up to 246m. They only pay 10.4m in tax. That should be spare change to the Yankees. Stop being cheap!

IMO, we should have more than 100m to spend this offseason. Anything less is cheap.
    The thing is, you cant spend another 100 MM on 1year contracts. They have many big arbitration decisions coming into play the next 3 years. Some of that 100 MM has to be saved for that.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    they're all puppets anyway... why clean house when you have them by the balls?
    Hopefully it's because he wants to actually field a better team and win. I don't understand how you can look at how Boone's managed all season, as well as two clear examples in the playoffs and think he's the man for this team going forward. Furthermore, at the very least I expected some coaches to lose their jobs. This is just complacency at it's worst level.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The thing is, you cant spend another 100 MM on 1year contracts. They have many big arbitration decisions coming into play the next 3 years. Some of that 100 MM has to be saved for that.
    I certainly hope part of that 100m goes to some extension candidates (eg Didi, Hicks, Judge, ect..)
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

Hopefully it's because he wants to actually field a better team and win. I don't understand how you can look at how Boone's managed all season, as well as two clear examples in the playoffs and think he's the man for this team going forward. Furthermore, at the very least I expected some coaches to lose their jobs. This is just complacency at it's worst level.
    i agree... i'm just thinking about it from cashman's perspective... why change a good thing?
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Rothchild is really the one that stings the most. They needed someone who was more pro-active with pitching changes. Someone who generally had a pulse.

OK. Boone is completely inept. Inexperienced. Lost. Overmatched. Fine. However, Larry has been a pitching coach for 30+ years. It's inexcusable for him to be so complacent in these playoff games.

Larry: Duhhhhhhhh. You think we should warm someone up?
    Boone: No.
    Larry: Duhhhhhhhh. OK.
    Calmer than you are

NYYF Legend

At the least... They need a Pitching Coach and an experience Bench Coach. These are musts.

King can't be right.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Calls a tool a tool

I certainly hope part of that 100m goes to some extension candidates (eg Didi, Hicks, Judge, ect..)
    How stupid was it to not extend Hicks early this year? There's no reason for him to extend now -- he's a FA after 2019. At the start of 2018, he had career earnings of barely over 4 million dollars. He would have jumped at something like 5-35. Now if they want to retain him, they are going to pay 5-90.

Extending Hicks was never an option because they didnt have the cap room to accomodate that extension. So now they will wind up paying more to retain him than they will save from 2 years worth of lowered LT tax penalties they realize from the reset. Just more owner/front office reset stupidity.

Harper vs Machado

For the Yankees it would come down to what's more valuable for them.

Machado is an elite 3B and is durable. But he's another RHB.

Harper is an a better hitter but has had injuries. But Yankees could use a LHB.

@GeorgeAKingIII
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    The regression begins

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    GeorgeKing reported it, therefore it's not true. Please tell me it's not true. Larry needs to go.
    Really at least Larry and Bard needs to go.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Really at least Larry and Bard needs to go.
    agreed

A pitching coach is important. So a change there could work but a the bench? Guys, read Cashman's quote from earlier. The manager and bench coach is not important. Bard isn't going to go against analytics and if he did, Boone ain't listening or he will lose his job.

Cashman is VERY into it. The Red Sox are not. Cora has way more leeway.

I think we've indirectly found out why Girardi was let go.

NYYF Legend

A pitching coach is important. So a change there could work but a the bench? Guys, read Cashman's quote from earlier. The manager and bench coach is not important. Bard isn't going to go against analytics and if he did, Boone ain't listening or he will lose his job.

Cashman is VERY into it. The Red Sox are not. Cora has way more leeway.

I think we've indirectly found out why Girardi was let go.
    Boone could use an experienced guy helping him with administrative stuff (as evidenced by his misses this year). Like getting a guy warming up in the bullpen when you plan to take the current pitcher out after the inning, and making sure the starting pitcher is aware of the start time of the game, or at least is warming in time.

Cora, who had way more experience already than Boone, has an established bench coach.

Boone, not.
    Do not fear, all we want to do is talk.

Only words, and then your thoughts.

Two players I'd absolutely trade this offseason: Miguel Andujar & Justus Sheffield
    So thankful you're not the guy who gets to decide.

Coming off what should but probably won't be an AL rookie of the Year award, Miggy will only get better on both sides of the ball, and he's a bargain for years to come. No FREAKIN' WAY I deal him & certainly not this winter; uh-uh, no way, no how, no thank you!!!

Sheffield? Most including Sheffield, aren't sure who he'll become. You hope someone(s) who's worked/working w/him in the system knows and has a clearer idea of his potential (or lack thereof) and can make his case when it comes to deciding on holding or folding on him. I know fer sure that you've gotta be patient with pitching in general and REALLY patient w/left-handed pitching.

IMO, rather than a have to win now mentality, they should still be trying to accumulate as much young talent as possible and giving it the time and the chance to develop. Acquiring Stanton over the winter was the wrong move not only because of the all the years and dough his contract sucks up, but because the lineup was too one-sided (right-handed and overly HR dependent) as it was. If they were going to take an outfielder off Jeter's hands, it had to be the left-handed hitting Yellich over the right-handed hitting Stanton. They could have packaged Clint in along w/an Adams and two other throw ins for Yellich and really helped themselves now and well into the future. Nope! They dealt w/the right club but got the wrong player back. This is totally Cash's baby & he should be held accountable for it.

Going forward, they need to find a competent 100-120 game a year backstop who actually knows how to block a pitch in the dirt and doesn't zone out back there at frequent intervals, get younger (see ya', CC, thanks for what you've given us) while upgrading the starting rotation, have a guy in the wings who can step in and give you solid play at shortstop should Didi get hurt (maybe that's Hechavarria but not at almost $6M bucks a year it's not), and find some hitters, hopefully some from the left side, capable of putting the ball in play more frequently. I even think the bullpen needs to be tweaked here and there and decisions have to be made on Britton (they should re-sign him but 3-4 years max) and Robertson (love him but I'd let him go 'cause I'm unwilling to give him the dough he's going to want).

Some additional things to consider:

Betances is a F/A this time next year;

Chapman's no-trade ends following this coming (2019) year;

Hicks is a F/A following this coming (2019) year. What kind of year does he put up in his walk year, and do the Yankees accept the potential risks that come w/that along w/the possible rewards?

How should any/all/none of the above impact their decision making this off-season?

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Boone could use an experienced guy helping him with administrative stuff (as evidenced by his misses this year). Like getting a guy warming up in the bullpen when you plan to take the current pitcher out after the inning, and making sure the starting pitcher is aware of the start time of the game, or at least is warming in time.

Cora, who had way more experience already than Boone, has an established bench coach.

Boone, not.
    Boone's lack of experience isn't why he's not given more leeway. If that was the case, Girardi would still be here.

Apparently Dave Dave Dombrowski isn't that heavy with the analytics. He's more old school.

Cashman wants a puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    This is arguable. How many teams have won a World Championship while winning the team home run crown? VERY few.

Yanks are built around the Home Run. HR rates dwindle in the postseason, as you face the best pitching. You need to score in other ways. Keeping the line moving, drawing walks, running the bases well, etc.

We hit 267 HR's this year, (#1), Boston hit 208. (#9)

Yet Boston scored 876 runs, to our 851. 851 is still fantastic, good for #2 in the league, but Boston beat us by a fair margin while hitting 59 less dingers.

HR's are great and helpful, but it is obviously about runs scored.

Boston game planned around taking away the HR. The result was Yanks scoring four runs in two home games combined.
    That's not really all that fair a margin. That's like 1 extra run every 7 games (or really, one extra blowout on a season) and the majority of that delta can be attributed to 100+ Judge at bats being swapped out for the likes of Robinson and Walker. The Yankees' ALDS problem was less about the type of hitters this team had (the only one who showed up ready to hit was their best slugger) and more about bad pitching and bad management.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Good thing is that all that matters is AAV. It's not like the Yankees aren't going to have the money to pay his salary
    At the very least, Yanks on the hook for $245 MILLION buckaroos for Stanton over the next 10 years (ending in, if you can believe it or not, the late 2020's). Yeah, they can afford it in the sense that it doesn't financially bankrupt them, but those dollars could be way better spent going toward making the organization deeper, stronger, better, etc. Just a small percentage of that would go a long ways towards making the club better -- now and well into the future. Rather than accept that they'll still have to keep investment level$ high, they'll look to scrimp and save a few bucks here & there where you won't immediately see it but will pay a big price down the line on scouting & development. For diehard Yankee fans who want to win every year, & yeah, at my very core, I cop to being one of those, that's a lose/lose.

Harper vs Machado

For the Yankees it would come down to what's more valuable for them.

Machado is an elite 3B and is durable. But he's another RHB.

Harper is an a better hitter but has had injuries. But Yankees could use a LHB.

I hope they are debating this! Were Andujar a decent defensive third baseman, this would be an easy call for me. They really need more punch from the left side, especially given the apparent inability of Bird to come back from his injuries. They were especially vulnerable to high velocity right-handers, like Eovaldi.

But replacing Andujar for defense in the 6th in the playoffs shows that they understand that they cannot keep him at third, at least without further development of his range and throwing motion. Can he really be made quicker to get more range? I am dubious. So who plays third?

I just hope they are willing to spend a lot this winter. Harper and Donaldson (on a three year deal?) would be great.

Rumor has it that the D-back might break it down--if so i would love to take Robbie Ray off their hands.
    Sign Daniel Murphy to play first, Sign Corbin and trade for Ray.
    Resign Happ and Britton and lets goooo!

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    Greinke for Ellsbury and Gray

who says no?
    I proposed an Ells + Headley for Grienke + Lamb + $$ trade a few offseasons ago and got laughed at. Insert overused Michael Kay quote here about outcomes, but sure looks like that would have been a solid play back then.

Ironically, I wouldn't do it now. Don't want $30MM+ AAV on the books for the next 3 years tied up in Grienke's age 35-37 seasons. Made more sense a few years ago when Grienke and the D'Backs hadn't rebounded yet and when they could have hypothetically gotten some cash sprinkled in. Then you might accept the risk of a few mediocre/down seasons at the end of the arrangement. Wouldn't do it now, unless the D'Backs were willing to include a good chunk of $$, which they have no incentive to do.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    and Donaldson (on a three year deal?) would be great.
    Depending on the market for Donaldson, I think a one or two year base deal + additional year option for games played in the base years would make a lot of sense.

I hope Cashman is quick on the draw for Donaldson, because I could see a lot of teams in on him who don't want to play with 10yrs on Machado.
    Calmer than you are