+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 429 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 67 117 ... LastLast

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    There is no "too many HRs narrative." This straw man argument scares no readers away.

There is, however, an entirely justified complaint about failures to get other kinds of hits. Boston understood this when it hired JDM. Yeah, he struck out too often this year, and K's do no useful work; nevertheless, he also hit .330 and has a .290+ lifetime b.a. and a .353 obp.
    I would take JDs production any day even if he struck out 300 times. Just take his other outs and make them strikeouts. Fine with me
    Baseball games are not won with a formula. If you can hit, they will find a place for you

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    I would take JDs production any day even if he struck out 300 times. Just take his other outs and make them strikeouts. Fine with me
    Yep. The gap right now between JD and Stanton is HUGE. at the time, and still to this day, I can't wrap my head around the fact that Boston was the only bidder. They even pissed him off in negotiations and still no one else stepped up.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    For his 1st year in the AL and New York stanton was not that bad. Yes he did not bat for average but trust me we have had much worse then him.

Everyone wants rid of Stanton but really his numbers were not that bad

His #'s are flat out ridic(k) and untenable, and no, dollar for dollar, we've SELDOM IF EVER had worse than this:

2019 - $26,000,000
    2020 - $26,000,000

2021 - $29,000,000
    2022 - $29,000,000

2023 - $32,000,000
    2024 - $32,000,000
    2025 - $32,000,000

2026 - $29,000,000

2027 - $25,000,000

2028 - $25,000,000* (option year - Yanks can buy him out for $10,000,000)

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Boston had a slash line of .289/.379/.493/.872 in 1753 PA with RISP, resulting in 665 runs hitting 58 HR with 300K (17.1% of PA).

The Yankees had a slash line of .253/.342/.442/.784 in 1562 PA with RISP, resulting in 558 runs hitting 59 HR with 344K (22.0%).

So, the Red Sox had 191 more PA with RISP and scored 107 more runs than the Yankees, while hitting essentially the same number of HRs and striking out 5% of the time less than the Yankees.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Greinke for Ellsbury and Gray

who says no?

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post

who says no?
    A fool.

And get that Stanton for Bellinger trade done, too!!
    Sign Corbin. I know that Corbin isn't what the yankees really need--he's not an ace. But Greinke+Corbin+Severino+Montgomery+Tanaka would be WAY better than what they've been running out there lately.
    (oh yeah....and Ellsbury+Gray are wastes of roster space)

Quote Originally Posted by theM&Mboys View Post
    His #'s are flat out ridic(k) and untenable, and no, dollar for dollar, we've SELDOM IF EVER had worse than this:

2019 - $26,000,000
    2020 - $26,000,000

2021 - $29,000,000
    2022 - $29,000,000

2023 - $32,000,000
    2024 - $32,000,000
    2025 - $32,000,000

2026 - $29,000,000

2027 - $25,000,000

2028 - $25,000,000* (option year - Yanks can buy him out for $10,000,000)
    Good thing is that all that matters is AAV. It's not like the Yankees aren't going to have the money to pay his salary
    #HarperWatch

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post

who says no?
    Arizona would save $42 million (minus whatever Gray will make next year) so it's not a crazy idea. I guess it depends on whether they feel Gray can still be a legitimate MLB starter because that's a pretty significant downgrade to their rotation if they get 2018 Gray.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by jeterrules View Post
    This is why not getting Sale a few years ago was huge. Yes it took a top prospect or a few but we would have had a true ace. This team will not go anywhere next season unless they find a Sale type in trade or FA

You don't know if Sale will be Sale after having to grind through the ALCS and potentially the WS. Dude's a long, tall drink of water BUT w/arm problems already, and those high intensity innings he'll be called on to pitch through coming up won't make his arm feel any better. No guarantee the Sale the Sox get back in 2019 is the Sale we've been facing the last few years.

Throwing money at potential starting pitching saviors doesn't guarantee the Yankees get one. Keep developing as deep a stable of pitchers, prospects as organizationally possible, and they'll eventually reap the benefits big time. Remain committed to player development and cultivating and retaining the best scouts/scouting dep't possible, both for the professional and amateur levels. Scouting and player development has to remain an organizational top priority, now and forevermore. Commit to continuing, improving/refining analytics of their own AND opposing organization's players, while also doing similarly on the domestic and Int'l amateur levels. Keep the BIG picture in view. Losing sucks balls and losing to the Sox sucks hairy/shweaty balls, BUT the Yankees have the resources to turn this around. If THE right ace becomes available in a deal or as a F/A, yeah, name that tune, but when you're needy, the tendency is to hope the pitcher that's available is the guy you need. You can't hope he is; you've gotta know for sure he is. You only roll out the truly BIG bucks for THAT guy; not the Sonny Gray's of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    No such thing as too many. But sometimes a single up the middle would be nice with the bases loaded instead of popout, K, K.
    Sometimes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Red Sox will be laughing their way to the AL East again next year if the best we can come with on a pitcher is Corbin.
    Jon Heyman: Yankees expected to target Patrick Corbin - via @Fancred

https://fancredsports.com/articles/j...get-patrick-co

Corbin also didn’t hurt his case when he said out loud how much he and his entire family love the Yankees. He grew up in upstate, New York, in the Syracuse area, which doesn’t hurt, either.

Sometimes?
    All the time it's preferable to popout, K, K lol. But realistically those innings are going to happen even with a good approach.
    #HarperWatch

You don't know if Sale will be Sale after having to grind through the ALCS and potentially the WS. Dude's a long, tall drink of water BUT w/arm problems already, and those high intensity innings he'll be called on to pitch through coming up won't make his arm feel any better. No guarantee the Sale the Sox get back in 2019 is the Sale we've been facing the last few years.

Throwing money at potential starting pitching saviors doesn't guarantee the Yankees get one. Keep developing as deep a stable of pitchers, prospects as organizationally possible, and they'll eventually reap the benefits big time. Remain committed to player development and cultivating and retaining the best scouts/scouting dep't possible, both for the professional and amateur levels. Scouting and player development has to remain an organizational top priority, now and forevermore. Commit to continuing, improving/refining analytics of their own AND opposing organization's players, while also doing similarly on the domestic and Int'l amateur levels. Keep the BIG picture in view. Losing sucks balls and losing to the Sox sucks hairy/shweaty balls, BUT the Yankees have the resources to turn this around. If THE right ace becomes available in a deal or as a F/A, yeah, name that tune, but when you're needy, the tendency is to hope the pitcher that's available is the guy you need. You can't hope he is; you've gotta know for sure he is. You only roll out the truly BIG bucks for THAT guy; not the Sonny Gray's of this world.
    I agree with you. But I don't think anyone would disagree with your emphasis on player development. Certainly, Cashman agrees with you. But signing a good FA pitcher, or making a trade for one, doesn't mean you give up on player development. LH starters are a rarity in the Yanks' system. You can't develop raw material you don't have. I wouldn't miss the chance to sign a guy like Corbin. He's a solid #3. If there were a solid #1 on the market, I'd sign him. And, I'd continue to work on developing Sheffield, who is, basically, the Yankees' only LH rotation prospect.

NYYF Legend

Two players I'd absolutely trade this offseason: Miguel Andujar & Justus Sheffield
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Give me a break, the Red Sox signed JDM to provide power to the lineup that was deficient in that area in 2017.
    exactly
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Two players I'd absolutely trade this offseason: Miguel Andujar & Justus Sheffield

Me too. For Carlos Rodon and Yoan Moncada.
    Next....

@GeorgeAKingIII
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Unlike last year when the Yankees didn’t bring back several coaches all of Aaron Boone’s staff is expected back for the 2019 season.

NYYF Legend

Boston hit .268/.339/.453 in 2018
    Boston hit .258/.329/.407 in 2018

They raised their AVE/OBP 0.010 but raised their slugging 0.048.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @GeorgeAKingIII
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Unlike last year when the Yankees didn’t bring back several coaches all of Aaron Boone’s staff is expected back for the 2019 season.
    That should make folks here super happy! [sarcasm]
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Give me a break, the Red Sox signed JDM to provide power to the lineup that was deficient in that area in 2017.
    No, they signed him to fill the Ortiz gap! And Ortiz hit for both power and average--as did JDM this year.
    AVE HR RBI OBP SLG
    Ortiz 2016: .315, 38, 127, .401, .620
    JDM 2018: .330, 43, 130, .402, .629

I think Ortiz managed 43 doubles, while JDM picked up 37.

Did they know there would be this remarkable similarity? Of course not, but I suspect they made an educated guess that, based on his ability to hit for Ave and HR and on the nature of Fenway Park, they had a good chance that JDM would fill the Ortiz void that left them somewhat crippled in 2017. And, Lo!, he did exactly that. One difference of note: Ortiz K'd 60 fewer times in 2016 than did JDM's 146 this season.

The Sox wanted power, of course. Who the hell doesn't? But in their organizational astuteness they also wanted--and received--an all-round hitter.
    Last edited by Bauer; 10-11-18 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    No, they signed him to fill the Ortiz gap! And Ortiz hit for both power and average--as did JDM this year.
    AVE HR RBI OBP SLG
    .315, 38, 127, .401, .620
    .330, 43, 130, .402, .629

I think Ortiz managed 43 doubles, while JDM picked up 37.

Did they know there would be this remarkable similarity? Of course not, but I suspect they made an educated guess that, based on his ability to hit for Ave and HR and on the nature of Fenway Park, they had a good chance that JDM would fill the Ortiz void that left them somewhat crippled in 2017. And, Lo!, he did exactly that.
    The Ortiz gap when it comes to power, the average is just an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    @GeorgeAKingIII
    1m1 minute ago
    More
    Obviously, Cashman and the fan base are at odds on what they perceived as a major problem. I won't defend Cashman in this regard, it's all on him if it doesn't work out next year and they have the same problems as in 2018.

How about this?

Machado 3B

Andujar LF

Clint Frazier goes as part of a deal for a starting pitcher.

If trading Stanton was realistic, Andujar could be the DH.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    How about this?

Machado 3B

Andujar LF

Clint Frazier goes as part of a deal for a starting pitcher.

If trading Stanton was realistic, Andujar could be the DH.
    You put Stanton at LF instead of Andujar. He is a better fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Yep. The gap right now between JD and Stanton is HUGE. at the time, and still to this day, I can't wrap my head around the fact that Boston was the only bidder. They even pissed him off in negotiations and still no one else stepped up.
    Remember many teams were looking to tank.