+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 ... LastLast

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Is there any actual basis for the MadBum talk?
    Not really just wishful thinking.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    3. Bullpen:
    CC for longman at 4-5 million. Would provide a floor for performance for the #5 starter spot, if need be.
    Don't want CC back for free. He's someone I never want to see pitch in a playoff series, but will pitch because of who he is and who he was. Pretty much exactly what happened in game 4.

This team needs to do better. Much better.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

At first blush I don't see the need for a lot of the moving parts I'm reading here. Deficiencies are SP, 3rd base defense and only 2 lefties in the lineup (not including Bird who I'm not optimistic will be an impact lefty bat).

SP - Sign the best you can get, then re-sign Happ and hope it works out with Tanaka, Sevy and Loaisiga/German and eventually Montgomery to round it out. The rotation is never easy to get right.

Another lefty bat - pay Harper.

Even another lefty bat who can play 3rd base. Re-sign Walker and give him the job. He hits righties well, has some power and has shown to be solid at third. He'll also come cheap. Not a bad resume...only 32 years old right now. I'd rather have Machado but a top SP and Harper are going to be super expensive.

Harper - LF
    Judge - RF
    Hicks - CF
    Stanton - DH
    Didi - SS
    Sanchez - C
    Voit - 1B
    Walker - 3B
    Torres - 2B

Then, work in Andujar as spot starter at third base, DH and left field until we can figure out what to do with him. He can still get in 4 games a week. Wish he could play everyday...can't have everything.
    Let the kids play.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Don't want CC back for free. He's someone I never want to see pitch in a playoff series, but will pitch because of who he is and who he was. Pretty much exactly what happened in game 4.

This team needs to do better. Much better.
    I only want him as a long man, and backup for #5 slot. We need something more than a bunch of guys who only can throw 1 inning. He could be effective in that role throwing 3-4 innings at a time when the starter gets knocked out, or even closing out the 7-9th when we have a sizable lead.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I only want him as a long man, and backup for #5 slot. We need something more than a bunch of guys who only can throw 1 inning. He could be effective in that role throwing 3-4 innings at a time when the starter gets knocked out, or even closing out the 7-9th when we have a sizable lead.
    I'd put King, Domingo, Lasagna, ect... in that role. People who potentially have a future on this club.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Not sure that CC would want to be a long man anyways. If he wants to go another year, I'm sure that he wants to start. Also, there's no need to spend 4-5 million on a long man when you've plenty of pre-arbitration young arms who could use the experience in the bigs. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

I'd put King, Domingo, Lasagna, ect... in that role. People who potentially have a future on this club.
    I am with you here - CC just does not strike me as someone who 1) would be good coming out of the pen and 2) would sign as a long man.

This franchise has SP/Long RP prospects that need to 1) gain experience and 2) be given the chance. Use the SWB Shuttle for this position during 2019 and get these pitchers exposure to the majors.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    I was listening to WFAN on the drive in and Flaherty thinks they should have Andujar take a month off and then get to Tampa and start working on his defense, specifically his throwing angle. I tend to agree, his offensive upside is so good, if they can just improve his play on the other side of the ball and make him "average" it's definitely worth pursuing.

As for what to do next year, it's too early to tell, but if this team wants to compete with Houston they need another TOR starter. Problem there is, i'm not sure one is even available.
    That is a great idea by John Flaherty. Maybe he can be the next manager of the Yankees. And, maybe he can teach our catcher how to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    Is there any actual basis for the MadBum talk?
    Nah, mostly wishful thinking by us armchair GMs. The Giants are terrible and have no hope of competing in that division for a few years based on their current roster, especially given how competitive that division looks right now. We need a TOR starter and he's one of the few that could theoretically be available since they should tear it down, he's really the only attractive commodity they have, and not many others are really available. It makes sense for the most part on paper, but it's all dreams on our part for now, not based on any actual rumors or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Getting some guys that can hit for average should be a big priority. OBP is definitely more important, but a bunch of high K, low average hitters doesnít work.
    Agree 1000%!!! Think back to the dynasty of the late 90s early 2000s. No real power hitters; just clutch players who played with heart (Jeter, Tino, Bernie, OíNeill, Brosius, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by SoJuCoBaSt View Post
    Agree 1000%!!! Think back to the dynasty of the late 90s early 2000s. No real power hitters; just clutch players who played with heart (Jeter, Tino, Bernie, OíNeill, Brosius, etc.)
    #freeVotto

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Your points on hitting are why some GM out there can't wait to trade for him. You take that and package him for PITCHING as soon as possible, before that teams realizes that guys who see 3 pitches per at bat don't make great lineups, no matter how many doubles they hit with no one on base.
    With RISP: .294 / .345 / .571, with a double every 11.5 AB

Without RISP: .309 / .331 / .521, with a double every 11.0 AB

Seems pretty consistent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jesterno2 View Post
    #freeVotto
    I would sign up for Votto.

Gray and a "B" prospect for him.

Can you imagine that OBP in front of Judge and Harper??

Offensively a guy like Daniel Murphy could be a perfect addition. He's a lefty that crushes RHP and is excellent with runners on and in scoring position. He also doesn't strike out much either and would have a decent amount of power in YS. He's a tougher fit defensively though for that reason and cost I could see re-signing Walker instead (also good with runners in scoring position), but for a lineup play and as a guy with a bit of versatility I think we should at least kick the tires on what he'd cost.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Offensively a guy like Daniel Murphy could be a perfect addition. He's a lefty that crushes RHP and is excellent with runners on and in scoring position. He also doesn't strike out much either and would have a decent amount of power in YS. He's a tougher fit defensively though for that reason and cost I could see re-signing Walker instead (also good with runners in scoring position), but for a lineup play and as a guy with a bit of versatility I think we should at least kick the tires on what he'd cost.
    I was definitely thinking Murphy as a potential alternative to some of the other ideas if the Cubs don't end up resigning him. He's already 33, but I agree with everything you said about his swing playing well in YS and his versatility being a welcome addition. Depending on the cost I could definitely see a fit instead of some of the higher priced options for sure.

I hear you, but on the flip side the young guys will always get a shot if they're ready as opportunities for pitchers are plentiful. Throw those guys into an opening day role and when we burn through our immediate starting pitching depth we're quickly looking at the Cessa's of the world to make spot starts. For depth alone and to help avoid as many of those "Cessa starts" (its not always Cessa just using him as the example) as possible I could see keeping CC around as a guy that will give you a stable 100+ innings. You can really never have too much starting pitching. That said the focus has to be on the guys you want taking the mound in the playoffs and with Boone as our manager we need those guys to be even better than most team's starters because they will be left out there longer than they should be. If there's leftover money I wouldn't mind having CC back.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    I don't think he's a .180 hitter and I think with work he can improve defensively. I'm not trading him especially now when his value is at his lowest. I just don't see it.
    I am not saying we should trade Sanchez, but how can you say his defense will improve. He has been in the Yankees organization since he was 17 so he is what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee-1 View Post
    I am not saying we should trade Sanchez, but how can you say his defense will improve. He has been in the Yankees organization since he was 17 so he is what he is.
    Over that time he's improved defensively in so many ways as he came up through the minors as a guy unlikely to stay at the position. And where he's left really is with one glaring weakness and he's actually shown at times a decent ability to manage that weakness he's just been very inconsistent in doing that. So with better form and more consistency and dedication he can still realistically turn what is a major weakness into hopefully just a minor weakness. As long as Gary is our catcher we'll have to live with an above average amount of passed balls, I think everyone recognizes that. The things he does well defensively combined with his bat can easily offset the negative impact that this weakness has so long he can keep it under relative control and he hits.

Smile Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Just flip Torres and andujar.
    Andujars biggest issue is over thinking his throws. Maybe the shorter throw would help.

Or
    C: Sanchez
    1B: Voit/Bird/Ford/
    2B: Torres
    3B: Torreyes
    SS: Didi
    LF: Andujar
    CF: Hicks
    RF: Judge
    DH: Stanton

Stanton isnít going anywhere, NTC
    Ellsbury isnít going anywhere, NTC

I donít see anyone trading for Frazier until he shows he can stay healthy.

Andujar's biggest issue defensively is literally everything, he has the range of a pumpkin and would be a disaster at 2B. He is an asset at DH, could maybe be an adequate 1B, and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeterForPresident View Post
    Trade Sanchez? Who's your catcher. Come on. That's ridiculous
    If you donít have a catcher, youíre going to have a lot of passed balls.

Quote Originally Posted by jon abbey View Post
    Andujar's biggest issue defensively is literally everything, he has the range of a pumpkin and would be a disaster at 2B. He is an asset at DH, could maybe be an adequate 1B, and that's it.
    I think he has a better shot at lf than at 1b. My reasoning might be stretched, but here it is: 1b actually uses a lot of the same skills as 3b, though it needs most of them less. It takes good, soft hands and good judgment, neither of which he has. It takes good, quick, two-step range, combined with dives or leaps. He has none of that. Heíll have to be the cutoff man sometimes, requiring good judgment and accurate throws. Basically, heís already demonstrated that heís bad at all the things a first baseman has to do.

LF requires an almost entirely different set of skills. Maybe heíll never be able to track fly balls well, or play caroms, or cover ground in that different way an outfielder does, or whatever. But at least he hasnít shown that he canít do them, or that heís not likely to improve at them.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Obnoxio View Post
    Just flip Torres and andujar.
    Andujars biggest issue is over thinking his throws. Maybe the shorter throw would help.

Or
    C: Sanchez
    1B: Voit/Bird/Ford/
    2B: Torres
    3B: Torreyes
    SS: Didi
    LF: Andujar
    CF: Hicks
    RF: Judge
    DH: Stanton

Stanton isnít going anywhere, NTC
    Ellsbury isnít going anywhere, NTC

I donít see anyone trading for Frazier until he shows he can stay healthy.
    Andujar biggest issue is that he has no range. Putting him at second would not help.

NYYF Legend

Stanton would be a much better fielder at LF than Andujar. No reason to move Andujar to LF. Just DH him.

I'm not saying more home runs is bad, but adding home runs instead of quality, front-of-the-rotation pitching would be asinine. We need to add 2 REALLY good starters. As it stands, we don't have a single starter on our staff who is reliable, game in, game out for the entire season and post-season.

What's the infatuation with Corbin? His career ERA is nearly 4.00.

Thread Information