+ Reply to Thread
Page 1206 of 1219 FirstFirst ... 206 706 1106 1156 1196 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1209 1216 ... LastLast
Results 30,126 to 30,150 of 30460

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Gardner and LeMahieu were awful signings. They signed Gardner immediately as if he was in high demand. If they waited a bit, they could have picked up Brantley who got only a 2 year deal from the Astros. That would have been a substantial upgrade at a pretty cheap price. They say they brought back Gardner back as a "low cost role player" but you can bet he is the starting LF and will play waaaaay more then he should. We basically need Frazier to rake and bail us out of that mistake, but he has his own issues. He's one OF wall collision or dive away from another concussion.

Meanwhile, LeMahieu cant hit outside Coors. He basically had one good year of above 4 WAR but he has been an offensive minus since then. Between these two thats $31M that could have been spent elsewhere.

Its crazy to me that this is a supposed championship team, yet we are banking so heavily on so many question marks (Andujar defensively, Tulo, LeMahieu, Voit/Bird, Gardner)
    And running german and lasagna out there... guys who get hammered by away spring training squads.... german gave up 3 runs and FIVE hits tonight to the 2nd string ROAD detroit team!

Quote Originally Posted by moscutter View Post
    And running german and lasagna out there... guys who get hammered by away spring training squads.... german gave up 3 runs and FIVE hits tonight to the 2nd string ROAD detroit team!
    It's Spring training relax.

Quote Originally Posted by moscutter View Post
    His line was basically the same as Tanaka’s and he’s had a strong spring overall. Plus ST stats are relatively meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post
    Can't sign big ticket free agent for $300 million. Money tight. Lots of debt.

Pays $3.47 billion to buy back YES Network.
    Separate books.

Darn it, where was this guy earlier this off season? Maybe Hal can bum a few bucks to get us a SP like keuchel from this guy.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ex-w...191620847.html

All yankee gear

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Separate books.
    Yes different books. That's why they could tell fans they couldn't afford all the spending because of all the debt.

They sold 80% of YES to Fox for about $4 billions. Now they take advantage of the Fox forced sale and buy it back at $3.5 billions. Great business decision from Hal.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sfischer89 View Post
    I would argue Loaisiga is a AAA player worth giving a shot to. He’s our number 2 prospect and There’s no question he has the stuff to stick in the bigs. His issue, and the issue with him being our depth, is health.

Agreed German struggled, but I still feel like he deserves another shot. He showed flashes last year and needs to work on consistency.

I personally would rather give some of these talented young guys a chance than sign a Gio. To say we have zero depth I think is untrue. I don’t know that many other teams have better options after the first five.
    Germans stuff is straight nasty. No one knows where it’s going to end , regardless of where it starts, including German.

Control and consistency are key.
    Does He have a third pitch? I can hardly remember.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Separate books.
    Same wallet

Same wallet
    It could be, but it’s not. Thy keep the revenue streams separate so it looks like they’re less profitable than they are.

It could be, but it’s not. Thy keep the revenue streams separate so it looks like they’re less profitable than they are.
    You're making my point for me. It's all shadow games. They have the cash.

Wouldn't another way to "look less porfitable" be to spend more on payroll? I maintain there was no excuse for not blowing past the tax threshold to seize this golden opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Germans stuff is straight nasty. No one knows where it’s going to end , regardless of where it starts, including German.

Control and consistency are key.
    Does He have a third pitch? I can hardly remember.
    Yeah, he's got a quality change-up to go along w/his heater & slider. He's gotta learn when to use or refrain from using it. At some point late in his outing Friday night, he threw the change-up to a right-handed hitter and was fortunate it was only ripped for a run-scoring single. From watching his outings on the tube, it looks (to me)like his heater is a 4-seamer. Dude could definitely use more frequent 2-seam action, and if he could do that to go along w/a cutter and retain his command, dude could be something special. Of course, that's the ticket for all pitchers.

Florial and Bird to the Indians … for Cory Kluber.

Would you make that deal?

Would the Indians make that deal for two cost efficient players who fill positions of need?

I know Florial is not Major League ready YET, but his ceiling is sky high and Bird IS Major League ready right now.

Florial and Bird are tearing it up this spring, so maybe Cleveland makes that deal, but would you?

Too me Bird is expendable because of Voit, so it's basically Florial for Kluber and I have to make that deal, especially with Severino hurt.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post

Would the Indians make that deal for two cost efficient players who fill positions of need?

I know Florial is not Major League ready YET, but his ceiling is sky high and Bird IS Major League ready right now.

Florial and Bird are tearing it up this spring, so maybe Cleveland makes that deal, but would you?

Too me Bird is expendable because of Voit, so it's basically Florial for Kluber and I have to make that deal, especially with Severino hurt.
    I think that is a really interesting trade. I would pull that trigger because it solidifies this rotation big time. I wonder if Kluber would be enthusiastic?
    " You can't think and hit at the same time. "
    - Yogi Berra

Going to have to give up more than that to get Cleveland to give up Kluber, especially to an AL rival.

I'm not giving up Florial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Just extended Hicks. Have Judge and Stanton. What's Florial's future here?

NYYF Legend

I wonder if Florial is ready in 2021, maybe Hicks has some trade value @ 5yrs/$50M left on his contract? Yanks get the first two years @ Hicks' prime appeal and maybe some prospects down the road.

I'm hoping to see Florial cut down on his strikeouts and make more contact in general in 2019.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Do you really think Hicks is going to play CF for the entirety of his contract? He can barely stay healthy for more than a month at a time. Eventually he will slide over to the Gardner role.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Do you really think Hicks is going to play CF for the entirety of his contract? He can barely stay healthy for more than a month at a time. Eventually he will slide over to the Gardner role.
    This. Hicks LF, Florial CF, Judge RF, Stanton DH. Plus as has been noted Hicks' deal is likely to be movable in a few years if it comes to that.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I love how every criticism of the Gardner signing is about how we could've signed someone better for significantly more that can't play CF and mostly plays a poor LF too.

I'm not saying I love the Gardner signing and I do think there's an argument to be made that in this market he may be a tad overpaid or the Yankees could've waited it out. The flip side of it is that in a down year he was tied for the best WAR among available CFs at 2.5 and he was tied with Pollack who signed for 55M. The next highest contract given out to a legit CF was Billy Hamilton at 1 year 5.25M and he can't hit at all.

You could get away with Judge or Frazier in CF if you needed to, but the loss of defense in both CF when Hicks is not out there and in LF could hurt especially when our flyball pitchers (Happ, Tanaka, Paxton) are on the mound. For 7.5M its hard to replace that value more effectively. If I were to make an argument for anyone it would be Marwin Gonzalez who hasn't played much CF, but is an excellent LF and should be able to move to CF effectively while providing a better bat than Gardner. Might have to find the extra money to get him from somewhere else though (downgrade DJL or one of the bullpen signings).
    Very fair.

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    Hal is a Fraud. Winning is no longer the most important thing next to breathing. Hal taking in well over 600 million a year in revenue and competing for a WC is good enough for him...

https://www.mcall.com/sports/basebal...308-story.html
    Nearly all owners are frauds. TV money has made ticket money unimportant cos they can make money without winning.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Strike's on the horizon.
    The PA needs to get its act in order. They've been bad for some time. Though, I'll admit, when your opponent only cares about one thing, it makes it hard to negotiate for many things.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Think he'll play three years in CF. Then, he'll be a backup in CF and play a corner spot for a couple before the move on in some way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post

This kid has really opened some eyes this spring. Willie Randolph compared him to a young Bernie Williams.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

The Death Star is Sputtering

This kid has really opened some eyes this spring. Willie Randolph compared him to a young Bernie Williams.
    Until Florial can get his ridiculously high K-rates under control, he’s not going to cut it as an everyday MLB player.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Until Florial can get his ridiculously high K-rates under control, he’s not going to cut it as an everyday MLB player.
    If he can play a very good CF, you can live with it but you don't keep him once his control years are over.

That said, he's certainly on the line of whether that rate of Ks are ok.

Indians would hard pass on that. They set a high price on Kluber that no one could meet this offseason, but ultimately cleared the money needed where they could do the smart thing and keep him as they’re looking to and are well positioned to compete. For them to reverse that now we’d have to offer A LOT more. Would have to include probably Chad Green and Loaisiga in addition to Florial and Bird to even get them thinking about it.

Thread Information