+ Reply to Thread
Page 1205 of 1221 FirstFirst ... 205 705 1105 1155 1195 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1208 1215 ... LastLast
Results 30,101 to 30,125 of 30523

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Isnít that what Tyler Wade should have been instead of competing with Frazier for an OF spot? Heck, even Torreyes could have filled that role for a fraction of the cost...

Signing LeMahieu for $12 million a year was a colossal waste of resources considering this team had/has far more urgent needs where that money should have been spent...
    I was one that loved Torreyes out there, but DJL is so much better. Both hitter and in the field. Wade needs to prove he can hit at the MLB level. I hope he busts out this season, but he has shown nothing.

Aaron Boone: Clint Frazier likely will start season in minors.

ďHe needs to play every day,íí Boone said of Frazier, who battled concussion issues for most of the 2018 season. ďThat doesnít necessarily mean they donít come here. We expect him to impact our club this year.íí
    https://nypost.com/2019/03/07/aaron-...son-in-minors/

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken711 View Post
    Aaron Boone: Clint Frazier likely will start season in minors.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/07/aaron-...son-in-minors/
    Not shocking. I suspect he'll be up by June

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    Gardner is the one that really angered me...

Didn't want CC resigned either but could live with it....

I'm just happy Hicks didn't get more than the Yankees gave him. I never wanna see Hicks up in a clutch AB especially with the bases loaded. What is he 1-41 or something like that...
    He wasnít great with the bases loaded but he was a great hitter with RISP last year. Not sure where youíre getting that he wasnít from...

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    Isnít that what Tyler Wade should have been instead of competing with Frazier for an OF spot? Heck, even Torreyes could have filled that role for a fraction of the cost...

Signing LeMahieu for $12 million a year was a colossal waste of resources considering this team had/has far more urgent needs where that money should have been spent...

Marwin Gonzales, just because he can switch-hit, would have been better. All they needed was a guy who could play a decent 2B/3B, not a defensive wiz. And Marwin could start in LF if he were needed there. The Yanks' relative lack of LH hitting scares me. But Gardner at $7.5m (+$2m) was crazy. He was terrible in the 2nd half of 2018.

Gardner and LeMahieu were awful signings. They signed Gardner immediately as if he was in high demand. If they waited a bit, they could have picked up Brantley who got only a 2 year deal from the Astros. That would have been a substantial upgrade at a pretty cheap price. They say they brought back Gardner back as a "low cost role player" but you can bet he is the starting LF and will play waaaaay more then he should. We basically need Frazier to rake and bail us out of that mistake, but he has his own issues. He's one OF wall collision or dive away from another concussion.

Meanwhile, LeMahieu cant hit outside Coors. He basically had one good year of above 4 WAR but he has been an offensive minus since then. Between these two thats $31M that could have been spent elsewhere.

Its crazy to me that this is a supposed championship team, yet we are banking so heavily on so many question marks (Andujar defensively, Tulo, LeMahieu, Voit/Bird, Gardner)

NYYF Legend

I'm skeptical of the LeMahieu signing, but his ability to hit outside of Coors isn't part of of any concern for me. I don't put any stock in H/A splits for good players who are leaving the Rockies. I'm curious what his new normal will look like on the Yankees.
    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Gardner and LeMahieu were awful signings. They signed Gardner immediately as if he was in high demand. If they waited a bit, they could have picked up Brantley who got only a 2 year deal from the Astros. That would have been a substantial upgrade at a pretty cheap price. They say they brought back Gardner back as a "low cost role player" but you can bet he is the starting LF and will play waaaaay more then he should. We basically need Frazier to rake and bail us out of that mistake, but he has his own issues. He's one OF wall collision or dive away from another concussion.

Meanwhile, LeMahieu cant hit outside Coors. He basically had one good year of above 4 WAR but he has been an offensive minus since then. Between these two thats $31M that could have been spent elsewhere.

Its crazy to me that this is a supposed championship team, yet we are banking so heavily on so many question marks (Andujar defensively, Tulo, LeMahieu, Voit/Bird, Gardner)
    Gardner was brought back because if Hicks goes down, we have no CF. Brantley hasn't played CF since 2015 and he was bad then.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Gardner was brought back because if Hicks goes down, we have no CF. Brantley hasn't played CF since 2015 and he was bad then.
    I love how every criticism of the Gardner signing is about how we could've signed someone better for significantly more that can't play CF and mostly plays a poor LF too.

I'm not saying I love the Gardner signing and I do think there's an argument to be made that in this market he may be a tad overpaid or the Yankees could've waited it out. The flip side of it is that in a down year he was tied for the best WAR among available CFs at 2.5 and he was tied with Pollack who signed for 55M. The next highest contract given out to a legit CF was Billy Hamilton at 1 year 5.25M and he can't hit at all.

You could get away with Judge or Frazier in CF if you needed to, but the loss of defense in both CF when Hicks is not out there and in LF could hurt especially when our flyball pitchers (Happ, Tanaka, Paxton) are on the mound. For 7.5M its hard to replace that value more effectively. If I were to make an argument for anyone it would be Marwin Gonzalez who hasn't played much CF, but is an excellent LF and should be able to move to CF effectively while providing a better bat than Gardner. Might have to find the extra money to get him from somewhere else though (downgrade DJL or one of the bullpen signings).

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    I love how every criticism of the Gardner signing is about how we could've signed someone better for significantly more that can't play CF and mostly plays a poor LF too.

I'm not saying I love the Gardner signing and I do think there's an argument to be made that in this market he may be a tad overpaid or the Yankees could've waited it out. The flip side of it is that in a down year he was tied for the best WAR among available CFs at 2.5 and he was tied with Pollack who signed for 55M. The next highest contract given out to a legit CF was Billy Hamilton at 1 year 5.25M and he can't hit at all.

You could get away with Judge or Frazier in CF if you needed to, but the loss of defense in both CF when Hicks is not out there and in LF could hurt especially when our flyball pitchers (Happ, Tanaka, Paxton) are on the mound. For 7.5M its hard to replace that value more effectively. If I were to make an argument for anyone it would be Marwin Gonzalez who hasn't played much CF, but is an excellent LF and should be able to move to CF effectively while providing a better bat than Gardner. Might have to find the extra money to get him from somewhere else though (downgrade DJL or one of the bullpen signings).
    Exactly.
    You also need to remember it's a ONE YEAR deal. You pay more AAV on a year deal than a 5 year deal.

This post is right on. I don't expect Gardner to start many games, but I expect him to be in for defense quite often and will start every game in center that Hicks misses. He'll also get the occasional PH opportunity and can still battle most pitchers with long counts. Despite his OBP being down last year he still scored 95 runs, second on the team, so he can still use his speed on the base paths even if he's not the stolen base threat he used to be. He may be a bit overpaid, but if Hicks goes down for an extended period he may wind up being a bargain.
    Let the kids play.

Gardner's going to end up playing way more then he should be. He is the starting LF. Really that simple. It's clear they aren't enamored with Stanton playing much LF. So we're going to have to deal with him being an offensive black hole a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    This post is right on. I don't expect Gardner to start many games, but I expect him to be in for defense quite often and will start every game in center that Hicks misses. He'll also get the occasional PH opportunity and can still battle most pitchers with long counts. Despite his OBP being down last year he still scored 95 runs, second on the team, so he can still use his speed on the base paths even if he's not the stolen base threat he used to be. He may be a bit overpaid, but if Hicks goes down for an extended period he may wind up being a bargain.
    Re-signing Gardner wasn't the mistake. The mistake was re-signing him for that kind of money. Of course, he's going to be a good back-up. But he's getting paid like something more than that.

It's one year 7.5M for a ~95 OPS+ (last 3 years) hitter with speed who can play CF well. Jesus. You'd think resigned Mitre or something.

I know he has no experience above A ball, but Florial has been impressive so far. Donít want to rush him, but he should at least start the minor league season in Trenton.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
    I know he has no experience above A ball, but Florial has been impressive so far. Donít want to rush him, but he should at least start the minor league season in Trenton.

I think he will be promoted, not to big club this year, but I think he finishes in AA, if not AAA...
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Can't sign big ticket free agent for $300 million. Money tight. Lots of debt.

Pays $3.47 billion to buy back YES Network.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post

Hal is a Fraud. Winning is no longer the most important thing next to breathing. Hal taking in well over 600 million a year in revenue and competing for a WC is good enough for him...

https://www.mcall.com/sports/basebal...308-story.html
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...Ö
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    Hal is a Fraud. Winning is no longer the most important thing next to breathing. Hal taking in well over 600 million a year in revenue and competing for a WC is good enough for him...

https://www.mcall.com/sports/basebal...308-story.html
    Iím glad our fans are finally starting to realize this.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    I'm skeptical of the LeMahieu signing, but his ability to hit outside of Coors isn't part of of any concern for me. I don't put any stock in H/A splits for good players who are leaving the Rockies. I'm curious what his new normal will look like on the Yankees.
    Iím more concerned about his L/R splits. He really does not hit RHP well.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mixwell View Post

I think Hal knows what part of the cow pays the most cash. Maybe it's not so much about attendance anymore as it is about viewerships.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    Yeah he might be a better hitter @ Yankee Stadium, even. That would be a nice surprise.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I think Hal knows what part of the cow pays the most cash. Maybe it's not so much about attendance anymore as it is about viewerships.
    Viewership maximizes when you win championships. His father understood this.

I want to fully join in on the Hal hate and after passing on elite FAs this offseason Iím certainly very annoyed with him, but then I see every other owner is cheap and I just get mad that the game is setup to benefit self-interested owners. Yet all the commissioner cares about is trimming seconds off of each game.

NYYF Legend

I want to fully join in on the Hal hate and after passing on elite FAs this offseason Iím certainly very annoyed with him, but then I see every other owner is cheap and I just get mad that the game is setup to benefit self-interested owners. Yet all the commissioner cares about is trimming seconds off of each game.
    Strike's on the horizon.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Thread Information