+ Reply to Thread
Page 1204 of 1218 FirstFirst ... 204 704 1104 1154 1194 1201 1202 1203 1204 1205 1206 1207 1214 ... LastLast
Results 30,076 to 30,100 of 30431
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: Official 2018-19 Offseason / Hot Stove Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I hope Loaisiga stays healthy and gets his chance. I love his stuff. That's top rotation pitcher's stuff.
    Has anyone scouted him as TOR ceiling?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I don't see too many guys in todays game that could do it mentally. Scherzer, Verlander, early/mid 2000's CC and Pedro, early Clemens. Who else?
    Obviously, a team would have to start doing it system-wide, as they do many things. But I don’t think players are unable to accept it mentally, they’re just not trained that way anymore.

Weaver's Seventh Law: It’s easier to find four good starters than five.

NYYF Legend

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ames-peds.html

Stephne Wrights suspended 80 games. Boston loses a reliever for half the season and Yanks don't have to face his knuckle ball. win-win.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ames-peds.html

Stephne Wrights suspended 80 games. Boston loses a reliever for half the season and Yanks don't have to face his knuckle ball. win-win.
    Wait wait wait. He needed PEDs to throw a knuckleball?

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Has anyone scouted him as TOR ceiling?
    Profile: Make sure you keep an eye on Jonathan Loaisiga this year and next. The 24-year-old is currently blocked from the Yankee rotation, though by spring, he could be moved and find himself open to take full advantage of starts on a consistent basis. And if that happens, there's plenty to be excited about. Loaisiga sits mid-90s constantly with a well-commanded four-seamer, while his curveball induced a 40% chase rate to keep batters off-balance. Then there's a changeup that hints at greatness as it earned an elite 27% swinging-strike rate in its limited 66 pitch sample. The blueprint of heat high, breakers for strikes, and changeups low positions Loasiga to become an impact starter quicker than most young arms. All that's left is the opportunity to blossom at the major league level. (Nick Pollack)

The Quick Opinion: Loaisiga's repertoire speaks to youthful production, though his path to innings as a starter is currently blurred. If the opporunity arises, keep your eye on the electric arm as it speaks to Top 30 SP upside.
    https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...753&position=P

NYYF Legend

He tore his arm up P. Running in 16. He hasn't been the same since. Don't know if it has anything to do it but would assume it plays into it...

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I hope Loaisiga stays healthy and gets his chance. I love his stuff. That's top rotation pitcher's stuff.
    Im a fan of his stuff too. Dont know about TOR, but i think he can possibly be a #2 or 3. Just not sure if he can stay healthy.
    Fully operational Death Star

Not a fan of this...

Here's why the Yankees could explore the use of openers in 2019
    Acquisition of Adam Ottavino stacks New York's bullpen

For one, they've already done it. Right-handed reliever Jonathan Holder started, coincidentally, against the Rays on Sept. 24. He pitched one inning before handing the baton to Stephen Tarpley, Sonny Gray, Chad Green, David Robertson, Aroldis Chapman, Dellin Betances and, finally, Zach Britton to cap the game. Given, the Rays were nine games behind the Yankees with no shot of overtaking New York for the wild card spot. So the stakes to use an "opener" were low. But the point is, eight relievers and a 4-1 win later, it worked.

This begs the question, what does the Yankees front office think about implementing the use of an opener?

The acquisition of elite reliever Adam Ottavino, known for his power arm more than his claimed ability to strikeout Babe Ruth, has put the Yankees at the top of the hottest bullpen conversation yet again. As of today, New York enters 2019 with Ottavino, Betances, Green, Holder, Chapman, Kahnle, Tarpley, Jonathan Loaisiga, Chance Adams and Domingo German to represent a ferocious bullpen.

New York also has its five-man rotation ready to do battle with Severino, James Paxton, Tanaka, CC Sabathia and Happ. But if the 38-year-old Sabathia wanted extra rest for his ailing knees that have given him trouble in the past, it would be cautious and logical for the Yankees to start with an "opener" for a handful of games depending on the opponent.

https://www.sny.tv/yankees/news/here...019/302861332/

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status...13206469484545
    The Continuance of Being Great, is Getting Number Twenty-Eight

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    So, should we return to the four-man rotation of the 50s and 60s?

There were certainly arm injuries in those days, but I don't recall them occurring in the numbers they do nowadays. Medical diagnostics were not up to the contemporary scene (e.g., the ubiquitous MRI and CAT imaging), and these, TODAY, may generate diagnoses that did not occur 40 and 50 years ago. The pitchers then developed "sore arms" and quietly--or not so quietly (Dizzy Dean) left the scene and found some other occupation.

Or the sore arm cleared up after a while, which might include a season or two spent home-nursing it.

If no one has done it, there might well be the makings of an interesting book in a detailed comparison of the 4-man rotation to contemporary rotations, along with some attention to the intervention of medical diagnostics.

Early Wynn, Spahn, Feller, Roberts, Grove, Johnson, et al big innings guys. Would the sore arm they all must have had at some time, for some period of time, have led to different career outcomes if "looked at" through the all-seeing eye of a modern imaging device, and then been given a fancy-dan medical name?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Not a fan of this...

For one, they've already done it. Right-handed reliever Jonathan Holder started, coincidentally, against the Rays on Sept. 24. He pitched one inning before handing the baton to Stephen Tarpley, Sonny Gray, Chad Green, David Robertson, Aroldis Chapman, Dellin Betances and, finally, Zach Britton to cap the game. Given, the Rays were nine games behind the Yankees with no shot of overtaking New York for the wild card spot. So the stakes to use an "opener" were low. But the point is, eight relievers and a 4-1 win later, it worked.

This begs the question, what does the Yankees front office think about implementing the use of an opener?

The acquisition of elite reliever Adam Ottavino, known for his power arm more than his claimed ability to strikeout Babe Ruth, has put the Yankees at the top of the hottest bullpen conversation yet again. As of today, New York enters 2019 with Ottavino, Betances, Green, Holder, Chapman, Kahnle, Tarpley, Jonathan Loaisiga, Chance Adams and Domingo German to represent a ferocious bullpen.

New York also has its five-man rotation ready to do battle with Severino, James Paxton, Tanaka, CC Sabathia and Happ. But if the 38-year-old Sabathia wanted extra rest for his ailing knees that have given him trouble in the past, it would be cautious and logical for the Yankees to start with an "opener" for a handful of games depending on the opponent.

The example of the game Holder started isn't really a good one. That was a game cobbled together from the bullpen, something that's always been done in an emergency. Now they're talking about starting the game from the bullpen, then bringing in a starter - as a plan, not an emergency stopgap. That's very different.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Velocity, maxed out every pitch, and year round ball from youth are why there's so many injuries. If kids focused on actual pitching again and not lighting up the gun, they wouldn't be as damn fragile.
    #HarperWatch

Quote Originally Posted by BabyBombers View Post
    Not a fan of this...

I'm all for it for people like German/Loisasiga and maybe even CC. Having those pitchers not face the top of the lineup an extra time could really help them. Obviously though you don't do that for people like Sevy/Tanaka/Paxton.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Velocity, maxed out every pitch, and year round ball from youth are why there's so many injuries. If kids focused on actual pitching again and not lighting up the gun, they wouldn't be as damn fragile.
    If only it were that simple, it would've been done already.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    There were certainly arm injuries in those days, but I don't recall them occurring in the numbers they do nowadays. Medical diagnostics were not up to the contemporary scene (e.g., the ubiquitous MRI and CAT imaging), and these, TODAY, may generate diagnoses that did not occur 40 and 50 years ago. The pitchers then developed "sore arms" and quietly--or not so quietly (Dizzy Dean) left the scene and found some other occupation.

Or the sore arm cleared up after a while, which might include a season or two spent home-nursing it.

If no one has done it, there might well be the makings of an interesting book in a detailed comparison of the 4-man rotation to contemporary rotations, along with some attention to the intervention of medical diagnostics.

Early Wynn, Spahn, Feller, Roberts, Grove, Johnson, et al big innings guys. Would the sore arm they all must have had at some time, for some period of time, have led to different career outcomes if "looked at" through the all-seeing eye of a modern imaging device, and then been given a fancy-dan medical name?
    I would love to know if Sandy Koufax ever had an MRI of his left elbow and what it showed.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

NYYF Legend

Great post!!!!

Made my day - reading this.

Who plugged the cable back in and where did everybody go?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I would love to know if Sandy Koufax ever had an MRI of his left elbow and what it showed.
    MRIs weren't around until the 70s. The first MRI image of a living human took place in 1977, long after Koufax was done.

Biotin supplements for strong nails?

More waste of money; Gardner,CC and Hicks; dude cannot even last whole seasons. Great moves Cash.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankees72 View Post
    More waste of money; Gardner,CC and Hicks; dude cannot even last whole seasons. Great moves Cash.

Gardner is the one that really angered me...

Didn't want CC resigned either but could live with it....

I'm just happy Hicks didn't get more than the Yankees gave him. I never wanna see Hicks up in a clutch AB especially with the bases loaded. What is he 1-41 or something like that...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MyBoysKaosHavoK View Post
    Gardner is the one that really angered me...

Didn't want CC resigned either but could live with it....

I'm just happy Hicks didn't get more than the Yankees gave him. I never wanna see Hicks up in a clutch AB especially with the bases loaded. What is he 1-41 or something like that...
    LeMahieu was the signing that bothered me the most. $24 million for a 2nd baseman who doesn't hit RHP. What we actually needed was a legitimate 3rd baseman (Machado or Donaldson).
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Yankees your 27 time WS Champs MyBoysKaosHavoK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    LeMahieu was the signing that bothered me the most. $24 million for a 2nd baseman who doesn't hit RHP. What we actually needed was a legitimate 3rd baseman (Machado or Donaldson).
    I hear ya. I didn't like it either. What was it. 27.5M of Hals "limited resources" down the drain on Gardner, CC & DJL. Could have used that $$ to off set a Machado contract...
    In the Land of the Blind. The One Eyed Man is King...…
    "Yankees are now a Fully Operational Dollar Store"

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agree, on DJL, but do think there was a legit need for a non-Tulo capable middle infielder not just a 3B. Gardner and CC were signed to be low-cost role players. Sure CC is in the rotation, but hard to find #5 starters that give you more maybe more innings, but not at his quality.

I guess we have to be realistic though not signing DJL was not going to be enough to get the team to pony up for Machado even though that's exactly what they should've done. Budget management, yay... Although I guess to your point would've much rather had Donaldson too and they could've saved some money elsewhere to make that happen and still add another capable middle infielder with all the guys that ended up taking minor league deals.

The Death Star is Sputtering

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    Agree, on DJL, but do think there was a legit need for a non-Tulo capable middle infielder not just a 3B. Gardner and CC were signed to be low-cost role players. Sure CC is in the rotation, but hard to find #5 starters that give you more maybe more innings, but not at his quality.

I guess we have to be realistic though not signing DJL was not going to be enough to get the team to pony up for Machado even though that's exactly what they should've done. Budget management, yay... Although I guess to your point would've much rather had Donaldson too and they could've saved some money elsewhere to make that happen and still add another capable middle infielder with all the guys that ended up taking minor league deals.
    Isn’t that what Tyler Wade should have been instead of competing with Frazier for an OF spot? Heck, even Torreyes could have filled that role for a fraction of the cost...

Signing LeMahieu for $12 million a year was a colossal waste of resources considering this team had/has far more urgent needs where that money should have been spent...
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information